A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

View Poll Results: Favorite book cover + reason (Multiple choice!!)
Dragonflight 8 20.00%
Dragonquest 7 17.50%
White Dragon 11 27.50%
Renegades of Pern 4 10.00%
All the Weyrs of Pern 16 40.00%
Skies of Pern 5 12.50%
Dragonsdawn 4 10.00%
Chronocles of Pern 3 7.50%
Dragonseye/Red Star Rising 4 10.00%
Dragon's Kin 0 0%
Dragonsblood 2 5.00%
Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern 6 15.00%
Nerilka's Story 0 0%
Masterharper of Pern 9 22.50%
Dragonsong 10 25.00%
Dragonsinger 6 15.00%
Dragondrums 4 10.00%
Other-Specify, please!! 4 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 22 2005, 02:39 AM   #1
monkeysrule
Le RAWR.
Hatchling

Fan of: Monkeys
Now Reading: expensive textbooks!
Default Discussion about Various Book Covers

Favorite book cover? Most "accurate"? I posted this on KTF and decided to post it here, too.
monkeysrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2005, 02:53 AM   #2
monkeysrule
Le RAWR.
Hatchling

Default Re: Discussion about Various Book Covers

I picked the ones with Ruth because that's how I always imagined them!! And because of Ruth Moreta DoP had a perfect Pernese dragon on it. Just how I always imagined golds!! Masterharper of Pern because of Robinton looked *Great* in that picture

The people on DD and CoP look like they are made of plastic . The woman on Dragonsdawn looks likeshe's drugged or something or maybe speaking to her dragon. Dragonsblood was cool, but it was no Pernese dragon. Other than that the covers are cool, esp Michael Wheelan (sp?) pics!!
Old Mar 22 2005, 04:15 AM   #3
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

I voted on the one on the KT too, but here I'm changing my vote to MHoP, not for the dragon, (because I don't think any get it right) but because I think that Robinton is depicted absolutly spotlessly. Thats always the mental image I have of him
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2005, 11:09 AM   #4
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

one problem... there are lots of different book covers for each book.

just look here !

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2005, 12:26 PM   #5
dragonbear
Inactive

I picked the original first three books. I think they show the overall best dwg of Dragons and their riders plus a bit of Pern.
White Dragon shows not only the original size of our great saviors, but the little ones as well.
dragonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2005, 02:01 PM   #6
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

I picked the UK edition of _Red Star Rising_ - I just love Weston's dragons, and this is a lovely picture.

Everyone else - can you let us know which cover versions you're picking please, rather than just naming a book? We don't all get the same, remember...

My least favourite cover (that I own) is dragonflight - I have the very old UK edition showing a whole flight of ugly dragons emerging from a single egg. It's at the top of the list of dragonflight covers here...
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2005, 04:20 PM   #7
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

mines the UK edition of skies of pern, the dragon-Golanth plastered against the wave!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2005, 05:22 PM   #8
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

"A Gift Of Dragons" , even though they are NOT Pernese dragons on the cover. (They're rather ugly, actually). But the setting, the imagry... You see Anne standing before this huge treasure chest, arms to the air, and from the chest fly the dragons... blue and green and bronze and brown and gold.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2005, 08:07 PM   #9
monkeysrule
Le RAWR.
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith
mines the UK edition of skies of pern, the dragon-Golanth plastered against the wave!
Do you mean the one with the tsunami and F'lessan (who looks like the living dead) riding snakey Golanth with the big wings? I like that one too. The other version is weird--it shows only a dragon's tail that looks like its surronded by dragon guts.
Old Mar 23 2005, 08:20 AM   #10
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

the first one-the UK cover!
Old Mar 23 2005, 07:42 PM   #11
monkeysrule
Le RAWR.
Hatchling

I thought so!!
Old Mar 23 2005, 08:21 PM   #12
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Fan of: Pern & Doona
Now Reading: Fantastic Voyage

I thought the Dragons on White Dragon, Weyrs, Moreta, Flight, Quest, Masterharper, and Dolphins best suit my expectations.

I thought the Dragon on Dragonsblood looked kind of silly with the "earflaps".

And the fire-lizards on the cover of Dragonsong are missing their arms (at least on my copy). I guess the artist was thinking that the fire-lizards were more like lizard birds than ancestors of the Dragons.
Old Mar 23 2005, 10:15 PM   #13
monkeysrule
Le RAWR.
Hatchling

I think that the dragonets on DD are perfect, and that dragons should look exactly the same, except bigger. Yeah, those floppy ears look weird, but the wings are GREAT!! Ruth on WD does look too scrawny on the neck and too fat in the stomach, but I think that's what dragons are supposed to look like before they are fully developed. AtWoP Ruth is simply PERFECT.
Old Mar 24 2005, 01:40 PM   #14
Talana Dragonrider
Inactive

Fan of: A lot of Japanese manga
Now Reading: Desert Coral series

I like alot of covers but the one I like the most is The People Of Pern cover with I think its Lessa and F'lar and the Weyrsinger I don't know and it goes around the back to have Robin Wood Anne McCaffrey and daughter then in the middle it has a cat and bronze firelizard touching noses. its a cool picture.
Talana Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2005, 07:48 PM   #15
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

I liked the cover of Dragonsong, even if the fire-lizards are missing their arms. It just seems light and fun somhow.

Another favorite's Dolphins of Pern, with Gadareth in the water with the dolphins. Course I like dolphins at least as much as Pern dragons...

Tresa

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2005, 08:27 PM   #16
monkeysrule
Le RAWR.
Hatchling

Shards! *hits myself on the head* How could I forget Dolphins of Pern? I like the pic of Gadareth, but his eyes are too buggish. I like the playfulness of that cover. I also like Dragonseye cover, especially the pic of Morath's head because it's how I always imagined her. Whelan's Ruth pics are still the best, though!!
Old Mar 26 2005, 12:11 AM   #17
Saphirdrache
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, Lunzie, Freedom etc
Now Reading: Uller Uprising

You know, lol, i like every cover of every Pern book i have coddled on my bookshelves, hehe

But the one that trully makes me smile is my copy of Dragondrums with Piemur drumming and Farli perched on his shoulder! It's a 1986 Bantam cover, artwork done by Rowena Morrill. And Piemur's face, complexion, attitude, hair, body language.. (good god, everything!) even the glint of mischeif in his eyes, are a perfect duplicate of a young man i knew in the late 70's. He would have been the same age as Piemur on that cover. And it blows me away every single time i look at it, how closely it captures the person i knew!

so that one becomes a favourite in a heartbeat
(though i love every cover with Ruth glistening white on it too!)
Saphirdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26 2005, 06:17 AM   #18
Matt
Inactive

In my mind, the artist that most accurately captures the dragons is the latest one working on Todd McCaffrey's books. It's strange, I picture almost every dragon differently depending on the book cover I've seen. Ruth is almost always, in my mind, the outrageously decorative version depicted in the English 1980s book cover, whereas Golanth is seen as the very simple, Whelan-esque dragon from the SOP cover. But my favourite artist has to be Steve Weston, even if they are a little complicated at times, because he includes everything from the descriptions and his dragons are beautiful. Whelan, in my opinion, must never have read the books.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26 2005, 06:35 AM   #19
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

I disagree with the bit about Welan, he must've read the book pretty closely, its just its a different interpretation, and I'm not sure he's read all the books, there are mistakes in the Weston covers too, often in things like hair colour and details of characters.
With the Welan covers on his site theres a description of how he drew something for 1 of the discworld calendars-a picture of Vimes with the Weyrwolves in which he caught the spirit but missed out all the actual facts-Vimes looked wrong-hes meant to be skinny! and Wolfgang had dark hair!

Don't be too hard on illustrators its not their fault that they have an inhibited common sense and so draw all the wong conclusions!
Old Mar 26 2005, 10:55 AM   #20
Saphirdrache
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, Lunzie, Freedom etc
Now Reading: Uller Uprising

i dont know how true this is now, so please forgive me if it is erroneous. i read this years ago, so it may no longer be the case.

but i have read that often, illustrators are given a short synopsis of the story, and an equally short description of the subjects for the cover, and a no-nonsense deadline that it all has to be completed by.

im not sure how true that is, but if it is, that might be at least part of the reason some book covers are not quite how the reader envisions the chararacters. and in the case of Pern, we as the devoted readers, really are very close to the characters, places, times and events of the stories contained in those covers.

wouldnt it be great if we could all get together and help design a new cover for an upcoming book? we could all read the story ahead of time, become familiar with it's feel and flavour, and make a very accurate cover together. what do you think?
Saphirdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26 2005, 06:11 PM   #21
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Apparently it's still true...Tara K. Harper has a section on her webpage where she describes how her book covers were done and her favorite/least favorite ones, the errors made and things that came out perfectly.
She mentions pretty much what Saphirdrache did about the illustrators not reading the book.

Tresa

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26 2005, 06:40 PM   #22
Larry Lea O-G
Mrdini

Fan of: Moreta/Nerilka's story
Now Reading: A Gift of Dragons

It all depends on what country the book cover is from... Some of the covers in Europe are out of this world/
Larry Lea O-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2005, 04:06 AM   #23
Spaceman Spiff

I beleive that both Michael Whelan and Steve Weston have read the books in their entirety, but I may be wrong. Both artist depect in their covers specific scenes from the books. But artists so often pour in what *they* think the dragons should look like and not always straight facts, which is why there is so much diversity in the artistic works of Pern. To me, neither atrist, nor any I've seen at all has got them down pat. I've tried myself, but I can't even come up with something I'm entirely pleased with. But even if they did go straight with the facts, they can be interpreted in so many different ways.

I think that an artist should take down notes from *exactly* what Anne says, draw it right along side her, so they can get direct feedback from Anne on what adjustments to make so it fits exactly what she thinks. Then there can be no mistakes and we can see what a TRUE Pernese dragon should look like
Old Mar 27 2005, 08:44 AM   #24
Gilluin
Welladay Whale

I was thumbing through a used book store a couple of years(turns) back and I came across a copy of dragonquest with a different cover. Inside it said 7th printing january 1977. The cover depicts f'nors impression of grall. This must have been the orginal cover. There are only 4 books listed by anne. Dragonflight, the ship who sang, decision at doona, and restoree. The books original price was $1.75. Canths eyes look like big cat eyes with slits and sorta looks like a smiling chineese dragon. Of course I snapped the book up immediatly andadded it to my beloved collection.
Gilluin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2005, 11:51 AM   #25
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Lucky you!

I just remembered what really annoys me in the Wehlan covers-the holes in the wings!
I know they're meant to be almost transparant and they get threadscored-but they do heal-I like the personalities his dragons have though!
Old Mar 27 2005, 11:57 AM   #26
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith
Lucky you!

I just remembered what really annoys me in the Wehlan covers-the holes in the wings!
I know they're meant to be almost transparant and they get threadscored-but they do heal-I like the personalities his dragons have though!
i agree... the holes annoy me! as well as the cornocopia of random squiggly things! remove them and the hols, and they would be very good indeed!

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2005, 04:20 PM   #27
monkeysrule
Le RAWR.
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ris
i agree... the holes annoy me! as well as the cornocopia of random squiggly things! remove them and the hols, and they would be very good indeed!
And the extra wings!! I HATE those. I don't know the artist of those, but its most likely not Whelan, because I've never seen a Whelan pic with holes in the wings. I like the Whelan cover of Moreta because of their pose and the expression on her face that I couldn't duplicate in any drawing no matter how hard I tried. However, I don't like how small Orlith's arms are in that pic, or Ruth's on the White Dragon cover.
Old Mar 27 2005, 07:05 PM   #28
Spaceman Spiff

Whelan never depicts dragons with holes in the wings or extra fins or wings. That's Steve Weston who does that. I think another artist does that too, but not Michael Whelan.
Old Mar 27 2005, 08:12 PM   #29
Obanion
Inactive

I chose The White Dragon. Whelan's Ruth on this cover is almost real.
Obanion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28 2005, 01:18 AM   #30
monkeysrule
Le RAWR.
Hatchling

I like Ruth on AtWoP better than on WD. The WD Ruth's arms are too small, his neck is too scrawny, and he's too fat. Otherwise, it's perfect. AtWoP has a PERFECT Ruth, proportions and all. Yeah, and I hate those Weston pics with the holey wings and the extra wingy thingamajigs. The only thing I like about the Weston pics as opposed to most of the Whelan pics is that they actually depict real scenes in the books. Whelan's dragons + Weston's scenes = perfect covers.
Old Mar 29 2005, 01:03 AM   #31
Spaceman Spiff

Actually some Whelan covers do depict scenes from the books. AtWoP it shows them perched on the rocky things with trees, surrounded by thick fog, when they were going down toward Honshu; Renegades - Jayge and the caravan going over the grassy fields through the Skybrooms just before Thella catches up with them, Dragonflight - Lessa bringing back the 5 Weyrs.

The ones that don't show a specific scene from the books are Dragonsdawn, Moreta, Dragonquest and The White Dragon.
Old Mar 29 2005, 01:39 AM   #32
monkeysrule
Le RAWR.
Hatchling

I said 'most'. I do particularly like that AtWoP cover. I actually read the book because of the cover and I knew it would have my favorite dragon (guess who?) in it.
Old Dec 5 2008, 10:31 AM   #33
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan

I no longer have my original copy of Dolphins of Pern and the copy I have now is a chopped version (shows Gadareth but nary a dolphin in sight grr)
I like the MHOP cover and the DragonsBlood cover (dragon flying toward a ship)
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6 2008, 09:12 PM   #34
cbrtlsseca
Rocksquat

Fan of: PERN in general
Now Reading: Dragon Nimbus Volume 1 "The Perfect Princess"

Anyone seen the new covers for the Harper Trilogy? I was out of town for work and forgot my copy of Dragonsong, so I went to bookstore to get another copy. I was appauled by the cover. All black, with a tatto tribal dragon on it. No picture of Menolly or what was distinguished as a fire lizard.
cbrtlsseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6 2008, 10:41 PM   #35
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

I really enjoyed the Whelan covers, but the image for All the Weyrs was just phenomenal.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2008, 01:09 AM   #36
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

I'll take any Whelan cover, but I'll go with the original: Dragonflight. Beautiful study of Ramoth and I like green.

I also like the art style on the first two Harperhall novels, Dragonsong and Dragonsinger, one with Menolly with her pipes and the other with Menolly and other denizens of the Hall feeding the fire-lizards. The artist paid particular attention to ensuring the right number and colors of fire-lizards and although more stylized than Whelan's more realistic work, it was all quite nice. I need to look up who that artist was.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2008, 01:21 AM   #37
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Had to pick "Dolphins of Pern" because it wasn't up on the list except in other so that's my choice and I'm sticking to it.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2008, 08:39 AM   #38
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

ElectricDragon - are you talking about the covers by Elizabeth Malczynski? This is her Dragonsong one: http://francois.labarbarie.free.fr/c...es/dsousa2.jpg
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2008, 09:03 AM   #39
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I LURVE that one. I don't have it ...... yet!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2008, 07:48 PM   #40
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
ElectricDragon - are you talking about the covers by Elizabeth Malczynski? This is her Dragonsong one: http://francois.labarbarie.free.fr/c...es/dsousa2.jpg
Bingo!
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote