A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old May 2 2008, 01:37 AM   #1
TheDarkHorseOne
Glow

Default Lytol- Certain to not put you to sleep

He doesn't relieve the stuffy, achy, fever, cough blah blah so you can rest, but he is certainly mighty.

When you think of his background, imagine him on the ground shuddering as his dragon's death was being keened across the continent. What kept him here so we can learn and know of him? Imagine carrying the coldness of between in your heart every waking day, and the loneliness of abandon into each darkening night. What will survives that every day?

A very strong one.

If there is a backbone that goes relatively unnoticed in these books, it's the constancy and strength of will this man has shown. I love a great deal of the characters that have populated Anne's world, but none have more of my admiration than Lytol.

As was written in Masterharper, he's remade himself three times. Once on his darkest day when he chose to live, twice when he stewarded Ruatha and imagine his internal turmoil when Jaxom impressed, and thrice when he became a well thought of consultant and friend to the planet, much less Robinton and D'ram being the third leg of that tripod.

Dynamic, steady, and openminded. A pillar, if you will, that others could build upon. I'd like to see Anne give him the respect she gave Robinton, and give us his life and times. It'd be dark for a time, but we all know the shape of things to come.

It's my personal hope that this unsung hero gain the notoriety and praise he deserves.
TheDarkHorseOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2008, 01:59 AM   #2
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: Lytol- Certain to not put you to sleep

Very very well put! That would be a great story, I agree!
Old May 2 2008, 03:38 AM   #3
Greenrider Dawna
Welladay Whale

Fan of: Harper Hall series
Now Reading: This changes frequently!

TDHO, have you considered writing a fan fic about him?
Greenrider Dawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2008, 04:56 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Very well said, TDHO

Hmm, yes, a piece of fanfic about Lytol... now there are possibilities...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2008, 10:18 AM   #5
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Lytol is also the only person that has had decent rank in all 3 major occupations.

1. He was a dragonrider.
2. He was a Journeyman in a craft (Weaver).
3. He was a (Regent) Lord Holder for Ruatha
4. He shared Lord Holder duties with D'ram and Robinton for Cove Hold, and, later, Landing.

So Weyr, Craft, and Hold all respect him.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2008, 11:02 AM   #6
Sandi

I don't know about notoriety, but he's always been a favorite character to me.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2008, 01:32 PM   #7
Brenda

I always loved the part in TWD where Jaxom is recovering from firehead and Lytol lets his true feelings for his foster son show.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2008, 04:14 PM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

A complex character for sure

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old May 2 2008, 04:17 PM   #9
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Very well said, TDHO!! And, Brenda, I like that part, too.
Old May 2 2008, 05:02 PM   #10
Topaz the Golden

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

I would love to see a book about Lytol too!!!!!
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2008, 12:44 AM   #11
TheDarkHorseOne
Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenrider Dawna View Post
TDHO, have you considered writing a fan fic about him?
To be frank, no. I could weave a tale about him and how I thought he'd act, but why bother with someone else's creation when I can make my own? While some think imitation of that sort is a form of flattery, it's rather two dimensional in my eyes. I've seen it done, and done well, but if I'm going to make a concerted effort at fiction, it'll be of my own making. I can only hope that when I do, I dazzle as well as authors like Anne have. I feel I have it in me and have a plan to implement to utilize idle work time to get 'paid' for a craft I want to be paid for eventually. I just need the tools necessary for that, including a new laptop and some relevant software. Recent events in my life have eaten my savings to half so I need to build that back up and then purchase those tools.

Once I do that, it'll be an obsessive occupation that I'll be glad to submit to. I could start now, but I consider this time with folks like you my free time. My job allows for a ton of time in which to work at writing as well as work. Retail. It's a unique position, and my greatest chance at a dream. I practice here online to be honest, and in doing so I get opinion as well as criticism which helps me tremendously.

Go take a look at my post on the Exhibit Hall. It's just a minor effort and deals with fact, not fiction, but I think I did well. I'm GOING to be an author. It's just a simple matter of hard work and time. I may post another extended work in progress there for consumption and critique. It's my beginning foray into first person, so it's rough. I've been told it's rather 'film noir', but I don't know that genre. You don't learn if you don't ply your trade daily and experiment or push beyond what you know. Reading voraciously helps as well.

It's up to Anne to do Lytol justice. I have my fish to create, season, fry, and serve up for consumption. I think I could do it well, mind you, but it wouldn't develop me, just the character and it wouldn't be canon after all.
Old May 3 2008, 02:19 AM   #12
Greenrider Dawna
Welladay Whale

Fan of: Harper Hall series
Now Reading: This changes frequently!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkHorseOne View Post
To be frank, no. I could weave a tale about him and how I thought he'd act, but why bother with someone else's creation when I can make my own?
I can see what you mean. I've written a few Pern fanfics myself but felt more comfortable making up original characters instead of using canon ones. I feel it gives me more freedom to explore ideas while playing in that world without constantly worrying if I'm "in character."

In reading your posts, I can see that you do have talent. And you are right: to perfect your writing, you must write daily and keep extending yourself!
Greenrider Dawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2008, 05:09 PM   #13
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenrider Dawna View Post
I can see what you mean. I've written a few Pern fanfics myself but felt more comfortable making up original characters instead of using canon ones. I feel it gives me more freedom to explore ideas while playing in that world without constantly worrying if I'm "in character."

In reading your posts, I can see that you do have talent. And you are right: to perfect your writing, you must write daily and keep extending yourself!

I definitely agree- I have a couple ideas that could potentiAlly be Pern fanfiction myself, but I don't want to "use" any of Anne's characters. As usual, I want to do my own thing! Not that her people aren't good enough for me or anything; I just don't want to mess them up!

Greenrider Dawna's right, TDHO, you do have talent- keep up with "the writing gig".

I haven't gotten a chance to read MoP yet, but personally Lytol is awesome! Anyone who can rebuild themselves 3 times deserves respect.
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2008, 11:57 PM   #14
TheDarkHorseOne
Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrlady View Post
I definitely agree- I have a couple ideas that could potentiAlly be Pern fanfiction myself, but I don't want to "use" any of Anne's characters. As usual, I want to do my own thing! Not that her people aren't good enough for me or anything; I just don't want to mess them up!

Greenrider Dawna's right, TDHO, you do have talent- keep up with "the writing gig".

I haven't gotten a chance to read MoP yet, but personally Lytol is awesome! Anyone who can rebuild themselves 3 times deserves respect.
I thank you and Dawna for the compliments. Nice to hear I've not been practicing in vain, heh. I know I have a way to go yet, but it's certainly fun to learn on the fly!

I posted another fictional thread in the Exhibit hall, but no one has responded. Am I supposed to do a separate thread for feedback as I saw for another fiction? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm new to the nuances here. I could use any help you can give, because it's been read a lot, but no one has any opinion. Makes me feel like it's not worthy. I'll post one for each fiction immediately if that's what's the custom. Frankly, I just don't know the protocol.
Old May 13 2008, 09:58 AM   #15
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...

no, people quite often just respond, unless it's changed from when I last posted?
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2008, 10:47 PM   #16
Brenda

Darkhorse, it depends on whether you plan to continue the story. I always start feedback threads for my stories, or for others' if no one's posted yet and I want to say something, because I really hate having a feedback post in the middle of my story thread!

So just your preferences.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2008, 10:07 PM   #17
Pat69La
Golden Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
I always loved the part in TWD where Jaxom is recovering from firehead and Lytol lets his true feelings for his foster son show.
Yes, I enjoyed that part too. I also liked that, after Jaxom impressed, Lytol defended his right to impress and to raise Ruth at Ruatha, against what the other Holders felt should be done.
Dragonmen must fly when Threads are in the sky! "
Pat69La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2008, 01:04 AM   #18
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Dark Horse, I just got to read your take on Lytol, and I have to admit that you have a very nice hold of who Lytol was. I agree it would have been lovely if Anne would have given us a look into his life before, all that we know so far. There a several of Anne's characters that I would love to know more about...but we will have to be thankfull for the stories that we have, and continue to enjoy them through the years.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2008, 02:59 PM   #19
Sandi

I think this thread stands as a testimony to Anne's talent as an author. She provided more "flesh and blood" to many of her background characters than some give their protagonists. This is one of the reasons Pern is so "real" to so many of us. While the movers and shakers are out there being heroic and despotic in their ways, the ordinary people like Lytol, Manora, Oldive and many others I'm sure many here could name are living and working and giving quality and substance to the works as a whole.
Old May 22 2008, 03:23 PM   #20
Hans
Master Archivist

Well said Sandi, and very, very true

Old May 23 2008, 04:28 PM   #21
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I think this thread stands as a testimony to Anne's talent as an author. She provided more "flesh and blood" to many of her background characters than some give their protagonists. This is one of the reasons Pern is so "real" to so many of us. While the movers and shakers are out there being heroic and despotic in their ways, the ordinary people like Lytol, Manora, Oldive and many others I'm sure many here could name are living and working and giving quality and substance to the works as a whole.
I don't think I have ever heard it put better than this....wonderful insights Sandi

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2008, 09:57 PM   #22
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

I had not seen it hinted at his childhood . . . but for a dragonless man to hold on so long to find someone he could love, yet to have her loss and a child's loss as well . . . I'd have to refresh as to which of the holds he was at when Fax came through . . . that he was a choice that could be trusted with Jaxom's holdings.
The shock of knowing that it was his teachings of honoring dragon kind as well as his trips to Benden that allowed the culmination of Jaxom impressing. The pain of seeing a child save a dragon that would pain you to be around, knowing you failed a trust yet knowing a dragon lived hue to the boy's efforts? What a conudrum. Being torn between being reminded of your dragon but knowing that your knowledge will be tapped by your charge?
Later Jaxom is indeed aware of his guardian and that he sees the boy as a young man who understands. In Conclave, his awareness and understanding of craft, weyr, and hold makes him unique to weigh all sides.
A complex man indeed.
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2008, 09:08 AM   #23
Allana
Greenrider 'Lana

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

I agree with you as well, Sandi! That is very well-put!
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2008, 05:41 PM   #24
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post

Wow, Sandi, really well said. Personally, I think that Anne McCaffrey has created some of the best and most memorable characters in any fiction that I've ever read- with the fine exception of classics like Huck Finn, Tom Sawyer, etc.

I am currently listening to Renegades of Pern, and was thinking how likeable the character of Jayge is. Anne really haws a talent for creating cool characters! I hope that someday I can do as well- it's something to aspire to, anyway.
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2008, 06:13 PM   #25
Larry Lea O-G
Mrdini

Fan of: Moreta/Nerilka's story
Now Reading: A Gift of Dragons

Yes I like Lytol even if his dragon changed color from book to book./
Larry Lea O-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2008, 09:25 AM   #26
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

It changed mid-book, in Dragonflight.

Nice to see you back around these parts again, Larry!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2 2008, 02:42 PM   #27
Larry Lea O-G
Mrdini

It is good to be back my old computer went phffff and I lost a lot of addresses... ???
Well I got an email about and old post I made some one had added to it so here I am again.
I have written down the address in a notebook now... paper you know stays in my files.
Old Jun 2 2008, 03:38 PM   #28
Hans
Master Archivist

Welcome back Larry! Like Cheryl, said, it's good to see you again! Funny though. Last week I was actually thinking of you (reading some old topic) and thought "hey, where did he go?"

Still in the same "business"? Professional and hobby-wise?

Old Jun 2 2008, 06:55 PM   #29
Sandi

I'm glad to see you back too, Larry! Funny, I was also thinking t'other day about you and a few other people I don't "see" any more.
Old Jun 4 2008, 03:27 PM   #30
Larry Lea O-G
Mrdini

Re: Lytol- Certain to not put you to sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Welcome back Larry! Like Cheryl, said, it's good to see you again! Funny though. Last week I was actually thinking of you (reading some old topic) and thought "hey, where did he go?"

Still in the same "business"? Professional and hobby-wise?
Hi Hans
Well lots of things have changed for me. I retired, bought a home, and sing in a community chorus
The director of the Dig I was going on this Summer Died in February so this summers digging will not happen
I just read Dragon Fire and Now I need to find Dragon Harper