A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Apr 18 2007, 08:22 PM   #1
bats
Inactive

Default 300

I finally saw the film WOW!!! there was plently of muscles,grunts,etc
I saw the review on the ABC,,the chap didn't like all that bravo !! of the
Spartans but the lady said rather coyly ''I rather liked it'
The colour did annoy me a bit but very clever how it was done,,loved the Formation the Spartans did for battle and now I know why I have a
Fetish for Guys in Helmets
bats
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18 2007, 10:24 PM   #2
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)
Default Re: 300

haha. I still have yet to see it... a little shy of all the battles. Were these guys the same ones who did Sin City? The color is interesting.
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19 2007, 02:05 AM   #3
SuzyQ
Inactive

Fan of: Talents
Now Reading: Need more time!

I know that my husband would love that film!! I think I would like it but my New Mommy hormones are still calming down. Maybe next year for me. I am hoping to send my Husband to the movies this weekend for some guy time. (he watches the 4 kids during the days and works nights - I have the opposite schedule)
SuzyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19 2007, 03:11 AM   #4
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks

I knew I forgot something today: I was going to set aside enough to see this, but I forgot. Oh well. By the time I get more money it will probably have gone, so I had best wait for the dvd.
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19 2007, 03:16 AM   #5
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Trouble is, the Persians in the movie are too dark. They're the ancestors of present-day Iranians, and should be about as white as the Spartans, if not whiter. I can tolerate quite a lot of historical inaccuracies in the name of entertainment, but I'll draw the line somewhere...
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19 2007, 07:08 PM   #6
Allana
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

The graphic novel is actually better than the movie, I think. But I did love the movie!! The graphic novels Sin City and 300 were both created by Frank Miller, but I'm not sure if the movies had the same directors.

P.S. It's not especially supposed to be historically accurate.
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20 2007, 03:26 AM   #7
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Saw it a week or so ago and it was great!

The Greek formation and the way they fought was close, but where was the bronze Curass bodyarmour? Still, all in all agreat film.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20 2007, 05:35 AM   #8
Kesal
Inactive

depends on which era they were depicting as to whether they'd have the armour. I think the armour came later.
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20 2007, 06:44 AM   #9
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks

No, before: the cuirass was part of the standard hoplite panoply, and was part of the reason that the hoplites were restricted to those who could afford to be one.

As said earlier, it was not expected to be historically accurate.
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23 2007, 12:02 AM   #10
Deb
Inactive

Fan of: Pern of course!!
Now Reading: The Portrait of Dorian Gray

Just saw the movie this afternoon!! LOVED it!! I have always been fasinated by the Spartans and their culture! And yes, there are a few inaccuracies, but then I don't believe it was meant to be a documentary!!

I'm not usually into muscle-bound guys, but I found those guys rather appealing!! (That part I would bet IS historically accurate!! )

All in all, I would say that it was a great movie, and I liked the way they used the colouring and slo-mo's to accentuate the movie! I'm definately interested in obtaining the Graphic Novel! I hear that the armour and helmets etc in the movie are detailed replicas of those from the Graphic Novel.
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24 2007, 03:19 AM   #11
Seanie
Inactive

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Glenda Larke - Mirrage Makers

I saw it last week & i luvd it... I found the 'bodies' a bit much, they looked almost plastic to me they were so oiled up, lol...
Seanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24 2007, 05:25 AM   #12
Joz
Inactive

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

I saw it today! Just before I went in I was buying a coffee and the people behind the counter asked me if I had a busy day ahead. I told them I was just off to see a movie and that it would be 300. The young lad who was making the coffee for me said it was great and he'd seen it twice!

So I went in with an open mind, knowing it would be more spectacle than truth and it was an entertaining spectacle, too. The beefcake was ok but I think I was more impressed with the fighting coreography. As for blood and gore, I thought it was tame compared to Apocalypto - I mean, they chop people's head off and there's no blood spurting out? Not that I'm not grateful that I didn't have to see it but I think I've seen worse. The Persians were a little over the top, imo. But it did make me want to learn a bit more about the real history of the time, and I suppose that is good thing, which I have seen other people comment on, too.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote