A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Oct 4 2007, 09:41 PM   #1
Jaelyn

Unhappy A Heads Up

I don't mean to be a wet blanket or anything but I just thought I'd pass along some important for many a fellow canuck on MoM. This morning as I was coming into work, my Pharmacy Manager was contacting her patients about a drug. That drug is Prexige, a prescription pain medication used in the treatment of osteoarthritis. D: Health Canada has decided that this medication is to be pulled off Canadian pharmacy shelves because there have been report of hepatotoxicity (toxic to the liver.)

From novartis.ca:

At Health Canada’s request, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc. (Novartis) is ceasing sales and marketing of Prexige* (lumiracoxib) tablets immediately.

Prexige* is a selective COX-2 inhibitor in the class of drugs called NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) indicated for the symptomatic treatment of osteoarthritis at a dose of 100 mg once daily.

Consistent with this decision to cease sales and marketing of Prexige*, Novartis is asking Canadian pharmacists and distributors to return the product to the company. Patients taking Prexige* should discontinue treatment, return any remaining product to their pharmacist, and contact their physician to seek advice on other treatment options.

If you or anyone you know is taking this medication, please stop immediately and contact your doctor or pharmacist!
Old Oct 5 2007, 02:02 AM   #2
Deb
Inactive

Fan of: Pern of course!!
Now Reading: The Portrait of Dorian Gray
Default Re: A Heads Up

Thanks Jaelyn! Thankfully I don't take that medication. I don't think anyone I know does either, but I'll ask around!!
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote