A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall > Thematic Photography

Thematic Photography For the posting of photos that fit with a chosen weekly theme.

Old Jun 25 2009, 05:10 AM   #1
spacedog
Ludmilla Barchenka's Minion

5: 29 June 2009 - Caves

Hi all, I know I'm not here all the time like Jube is (Thanks to her and Hans for reminders) but this week's photography session will be to do with CAVES! I'll put a photo up in the next day or so from when we went on holidays. I took plenty of them when we were there.
spacedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29 2009, 04:29 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: 5: 29 June 2009 - Caves

Hmm, caves. Don't have much on that subject lying around However...

When in Tunisia, North Africa in the early eighties I photographed the caves people live in at Matmata, in the extreme south, near the Algerian border. It's a bad quality picture, probably because I forgot to switch the camera back from the ISO400 setting I set it on to take pictures in the caves. And I didn't take many pictures because I didn't think it was that spectacular. Little did I know that a few years later a huge American filmcrew would descend on this quiet "village". Why? Well, you are looking at Tattooine Matmata is the place where all the Star Wars Tattooine scenes were shot. Had I known that I think I would have taken more shot

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.

Last edited by Hans; Jun 29 2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: changed stupid mistake in movie name :-)
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29 2009, 08:25 AM   #3
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

The closest pictures I have to the theme of caves are the ones I took in Antelope Canyon in Arizona, back in October 2008. (Antelope Canyon is a slot canyon formed where water has punched through a rocky outcrop - a ~3-10 foot wide space hemmed in by 60 foot high vertical walls. The canyon walls are carved by the eddies in the turbulent water.) I went on a photographic tour, but the inside of the canyon was so crowded with tour groups it turned out to be a rather frustrating experience: people were nudging my tripod or walking in front of the camera while the shutter was still open. I did eventually come away with some interesting photographs (mainly taken once I put aside the tripod, cranked up the sensitivity and decided to hand hold the 1-5 second exposures). The collection includes this picture showing all the photographers crowding to get a good picture :
Old Jun 29 2009, 10:37 AM   #4
spacedog

Here's my photo. This was taken at Buchan Caves in South Eastern Victoria near Lakes Entrance. I put a photo of a beach at Lakes Entrance in a seperate thread on Beaches. The Buchan Caves were quite interesting with all the different limestone formations and our tour guide, Hayley, came from Wales. They even had a wedding in one of the caves and the wedding party had to get special permission to do so.
Old Jun 29 2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

And here's mine - also the same spot as my entry in the Beach thread last week!

Shortly after taking the photo, the sea decided to get a little too friendly with my trousers...
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30 2009, 09:25 AM   #6
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Onondaga cave, Leasburg, Missouri. Merrimac caverns is right up the hiway, but I think Onondaga is a lot less spoiled. This is just a very small sample of the beauty there.
Old Jun 30 2009, 10:55 AM   #7
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Draco, were they limestone caves as well? Just curious because the formation looks a little like what we saw at Buchan Caves.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30 2009, 11:42 AM   #8
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Very definitely. We have a lot of "wet" caves here in Missouri, but one of the most famous, the cave in Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer isn't a true "wet" cave where you find the limestone stalagmites and stalagtites. Most of it is under a "shelf" of bedrock which deflects the water that would form them. There are a very few formations in there. The cave was formed by the Mississippi River washing the mud out of the rock. So when you see drawings of Tom And Becky Thatcher exploring huge rooms filled with limestone formations, they're nothing more than fantasy. The biggest room in the cave is about 40 to 45 feet long by about 13 or 20 wide, with a ceiling about 10 or 15 feet high.

Onondaga and Merrimac, as well as others here are huge by comparison.
Old Jul 1 2009, 05:06 PM   #9
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I have been spelunking in over a decading, so picture is of a "man cave".
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2 2009, 07:03 AM   #10
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3 2009, 12:32 AM   #11
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

My entry for this week. . .

I aplogize for the heavy shadows, in advance! It needs to be cropped and the contrast "played with".

All that aside, this was taken in Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado. Cliff houses like this put me in mind of what a Pernese rock Hold might look like.
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6 2009, 06:07 PM   #12
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Wow Steven - that cave is gorgeous!
Old Jul 6 2009, 09:32 PM   #13
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Quote:
Wow Steven - that cave is gorgeous!
Antelope Canyon isn't really a cave in the "traditional" sense, as it has no ceiling. It's a slot canyon eroded by water, and at times very close to a cave. It's absolutely gorgeous there, as y'all pointed out! My first thought on seeing Steven's shot was, "Oh, I got beaten to it."

Personally I really enjoy StevenB's image, and feel that it certainly "counts" as an addition to the theme.

All the contributions prove to me how sexy geology can be.Now wonder geologists seem to have a "thing going" with the ground.
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7 2009, 05:15 AM   #14
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Thanks Kath and Weylady. Antelope Canyon is an amazingly beautiful place - that's why so many photographers go there. The minerals in the rocks and the light filtering from above lead to some fantastic subtle colours. Yes, it isn't a cave, it's a slot Canyon; but it was formed by water like a cave. But I think it's fun to play with a theme and see just what you can do with it - as Cheryl has done .

Weylady, there's no rule that says two people can't post pictures of the same place. Antelope Canyon is so photogenic you could make zillions of different kinds of pictures from it. I must admit I was also considering a picture of Monument Valley for the Monument section. I'm nuts about Arizona, so I can't help it.

For the real caves I like Spacedog and Draco's pictures. Kath's is really atmospheric too, and I like the fact that someone is standing near the entrance to give a sense of scale. I like Hans', Peter's and Weyrlady's pictures as well, for totally different reasons. What fascinating places to live.

For the geology enthusiasts, this is what you get if you manage to finish a picture without someone jogging the tripod:
Old Jul 7 2009, 07:34 AM   #15
Hans
Master Archivist

Wow, that's a gorgeous picture, Steven

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jul 7 2009, 10:11 AM   #16
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I love the variety we managed for what seems like a narrow subject.

Kath's brings the most sense of wonder to me, though I think it could benefit from a slightly wider marging above the cave.

Stephen, slot canyons are so beautiful -- I have a large framed photo of one in my home. I think it is interesting to see your fellow photographers setting up their shots, but you could also always crop them out.
Old Jul 7 2009, 01:47 PM   #17
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Kath's brings the most sense of wonder to me, though I think it could benefit from a slightly wider margin above the cave.
Ah, what you can't see is the 'holy well' in the foreground lumpiness in the cave - but my flash didn't go off in that shot because the sky outside was still too bright... But yes, you're right - as a cave entrance (or should that be exit?) shot it could have been framed much better.
Old Jul 21 2009, 08:54 AM   #18
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

P'ter's one without so much greenery is the one that makes me think of a Pernese cot.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21 2009, 09:34 AM   #19
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Ah, what you can't see is the 'holy well' in the foreground lumpiness in the cave - but my flash didn't go off in that shot because the sky outside was still too bright... But yes, you're right - as a cave entrance (or should that be exit?) shot it could have been framed much better.
I figured there was something in the lumpiness that was meant to be shown.

Since the top of the picture is purely black, I'd consider cheating and extending the canvas at the top with a black fill.
Old Jul 21 2009, 12:39 PM   #20
Farclas
The Mil

Kath - There's a lot of detail in there; it's an empirical observation, but some photo sites do seem to compress shadows and highlights.

I opened your image in Photoshop and went into Image > Adjustments > Shadow/Highlight - this is what appeared before I'd even touched a slider . . .

There is a strange blue cast on the rocks at the cave entrance. Was that in the original?

As an after-thought, there's a convention on another site I frequent that gives the option to append IEO (Image Editing OK) to any posted picture. I certainly have no objection to others manipulating my images; it's always interesting to see what other people can do. But some may feel more proprietorial. Is this a convention we should adopt here?

Last edited by Farclas; Jul 21 2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: to correct typo
Farclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21 2009, 02:22 PM   #21
Hans
Master Archivist

Good question, Farclas. I was wondering about that myself because I have worked on Karla's buffalo picture but was hesitant to post my version.

As for shadow/highlight, you do have to mention te setting because you can reset the default (which I have done) and I don't even know what the factory default is

Old Jul 21 2009, 03:46 PM   #22
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farclas View Post
Kath - There's a lot of detail in there; it's an empirical observation, but some photo sites do seem to compress shadows and highlights.

I opened your image in Photoshop and went into Image > Adjustments > Shadow/Highlight - this is what appeared before I'd even touched a slider . . .

There is a strange blue cast on the rocks at the cave entrance. Was that in the original?

Ooh, I like what you did with it!

I'd not had a chance to play with this one at all (time's at a premium right now) - just copied from an early upload. As for the colour, there's a lot of slate and barnacles in the area, and the rocks were still very wet - this part of the beach is usually underwater except at the very bottom of low water, and there's always a lot of run-off as well, so there's likely to be a fair bit of reflection of the sky. Hard to see with the eye, as what isn't dark is just glaringly bright with reflected light, but I guess it'd look blue if you could tone down the number of photons!

Hah. Now you can see my parents in the cave as well!
Old Jul 22 2009, 12:40 AM   #23
spacedog

For such a narrow subject, we seem to do a lot of spelunking through caves.
Old Aug 18 2009, 06:30 PM   #24
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

Innerspace Caverns outside Austin, TX

The cool thing about this cave is that they didn't know it existed until they started building an interstate on top of it. They drilled down for core samples and kept losing their drill bits. Then they decided to make a hole wider and lowered a guy down and there was this gorgeous cave.

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21 2009, 05:25 PM   #25
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Nice picture Pam .
Old Aug 22 2009, 04:15 AM   #26
Hans
Master Archivist

Great cave picture, Pam. They are hard to make , I know.

Old Aug 22 2009, 09:05 AM   #27
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Another treasure trove was found

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote