A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Talent: Pegasus, Tower & Hive, and Barque Cats
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 29 2008, 12:03 AM   #1
Jovian
Inactive

Fan of: Talent series
Default Cera

Hi! I've just started writing fic set in the Talents universe, it's such an awesome playground. Unfortunately, it's been a while since I've read the books and my canon is somewhat rusty, so I was wondering if anyone here could help me out with some details?

What happens to Cera? Where does she live, and what does she do? I remember her being briefly referenced in the later books, but I can't remember where. I vaguely recall mention that she got married and had some kids (it's Anne McCaffrey, of course she got married and had some kids ), but other than that, I can't remember anything useful.

Thanks!
Jovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31 2008, 10:23 PM   #2
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix
Default Re: Cera

Hello Jovian! Welcome! It's good to have more Talent fanfic writers around!

Cera ended up as Prime of Procyon once old Guzman kicked it. Granath's Towerdex says the following:

Quote:
Raven, Cera
(D, DC, LP, TTatH) T-1. Jeff and the Rowan's second child. Married name Raven-Hilk. Husband unnamed. [Spelled as "Ceran" once in LP, a typo.] Had 3 talented children, ratings unknown.
Other than that, we really don't know much about her. Or at least, I don't recall anything more. We don't know much about Procyon either...I've made up a bunch of lies in my fics, but we have very little that's canon.
D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1 2008, 04:39 AM   #3
Jovian
Inactive

Cool, thankyou I thought she ended up on Procyon, but I couldn't find the particular line, and it was driving me nuts!

Well, lack of background makes fic harder to write in some ways, and much easier in others. At least I don't have to worry about conflicting with canon!

I wanted to work with canon characters that were outside of the core set (Rowan and Damia's immediate families) so I figured Jeran or Cera's kids would fit the bill. I ended up going with Cera's because they're even further from the main characters and are likely to have had less contact with them, giving them a more interesting perspective on Damia's crazy brood.
Old Sep 1 2008, 03:46 PM   #4
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

You could get really obscure and go with Ezro's kids Ezro was mentioned once as the Prime of Vega, then suddenly was a T-3 physician in The Tower and the Hive. I don't think he's even had a speaking line. He's the youngest Gwyn-Raven.

GAH. Now I want to write about Ezro...just because he's the youngest son of Earth Prime. And you could have a nice, tragic story about how he was Prime of Vega, had some horrible accident, and went back to school to become a doctor after he was reduced to being a T-3. Mwa ha ha ha ha ha.
Old Sep 2 2008, 12:18 AM   #5
Jovian
Inactive

I did consider Ezro... I was always curious about what happened to him. Poor guy was pretty much abandoned from birth, aside from throwaway references. Plus he has a cool name! Larak's wife and son Grayhan all but disappeared off the map as well, after Larak died. I was pondering trying to include Ezro or Grayhan somewhere in my fic, if I could work them in.

I always wondered how Larak's death affected Ezro - Damia seemed to think she had a monopoly on grief over his death, but Ezro and Larak probably spent just as much time together as Damia and Larak did, after Damia, Jeran and Cera had already left Deneb for their stations.

The varying T-ratings frustrate me no end (Anne! Would it kill you to keep notes as you write, damnit??), but I think I'd keep Ezro a Prime, just cause I'd feel bad for the poor guy, being downgraded like that. Although, there's no reason he couldn't be a T1 telepath/telekinetic and a T3 medic Although I do like the sound of your disaster scenario, if only because I love trauma to beloved characters

Damnit, now I'm getting Ezro bunnies all over the place
Old Sep 2 2008, 01:45 AM   #6
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Sorry, didn't mean to sidetrack your thread about Cera...but since we are talking about Ezro now...how old is he? I mean, is he two years younger than Larak, or was he conceived after Larak's death? He has NO mention in Damia at all...but he does get mention some 17ish years later in Damia's Children. Perhaps he's of an age with Laria? If Afra can have kids at 40, I don't see why Jeff and Rowan can't.
Old Sep 2 2008, 01:55 AM   #7
Jovian
Inactive

Oh, hijack away, that's half the fun of forums *grins*

That's actually a very good question. I always assumed he was maybe 3 or 4 years younger than Larak (I remember Rowan saying she wanted more kids, but Jeff telling her she had to let her body recover a bit after Larak's difficult pregnancy), but there's no actual evidence of that, is there? O_O He could easily be much, much younger. Man, I'd feel kind of bad for him if he was conceived as a replacement for Larak. Ezro really is an interesting character with lots of potential. I wonder if AMC ever actually had anything in mind for him?

Poor Ezro! He definitely needs more fanfic love!
Old Sep 2 2008, 11:23 AM   #8
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I'd love to see a fanfic featuring Ezro. The younger kids of any generation don't seem to get much attention. I'd also like to know what happened to Isthia's youngest son Ian, if he ever tested Talented, what his rating was and so on.

Oh, and thanks for the plug on my website, which I haven't updated for ages... Towerdex
granath is offline   Reply With Quote