A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Crystal Singer and Brainships
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 8 2005, 07:54 AM   #1
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!
Smile BB Universe Character Lists

Hey there BB-lovers (does that sound wrong?)!

For those of you who used to hang around the old boards at WoAM, how many of you remember the threads that spoke about us all putting together a cast list of all the characters in that universe?

Can anybody remember which books had been done? I know the original plan was to have at least 2, if not 3, people covering the same books to not only overcome any .... editorial errors, but also to see if different editions changed character descriptions/names etc.

I know I had done the main books in the series, and one or two of the Helva continuation stories. I do have them on hard disk (and it is just that as the rest of the laptop is in bits!) and they are retrievable.

Does anybody else want to hop aboard? Can anyone remember what else they had covered and what needed to be done?

Does anyone have any comments or questions or ........ anything to say at all about it????? LOL
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8 2005, 03:21 PM   #2
Brenda

Default Re: BB Universe Character Lists

I'd like to do one but I won't be able to for another ten weeks or so - but I'm a fast reader once I get the book! I have all the ship books except "the ship avenged".
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9 2005, 06:09 AM   #3
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda
I'd like to do one but I won't be able to for another ten weeks or so - but I'm a fast reader once I get the book! I have all the ship books except "the ship avenged".
As far as I remember, it's a case of "the more, the merrier"!
Old Jun 9 2005, 06:52 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Post Re: BB Universe Character Lists

BB lovers doesn't sound wrong unless your a long time Bridget Bardot fan

Gimme some time Gidge! O, and don't worry, I got ALL the files saved and backupped

OK,
  • The Ship Who Sang:
    • UK Corgi done by Gidget and Jayson
    • US (can be done by Hans; open for offer)
  • Partnership:
    • UK Corgi done by Gidget
    • US (will be done by Anareth)
  • The Ship Who Searched:
    • UK Orbit done by Gidget
    • US Baen done by Hans
  • The City Who Fought:
    • US Baen done by Elisabetha
  • The Ship Who Won:
    • US Baen (can be done by Hans; open for offer)
  • The Ship Avenged:
    • UK (offered/working on? by Jayson)
    • US Baen done by Gidget
  • The Ship Errant:
    • UK (open for offer)
    • US Baen done by Gidget
  • Honeymoon (short story):
    • UK Corgi done by Gidget
    • US (open for offer)
  • The ship Who Returned (short story in Far Horizons):
    • UK (open for offer)
    • US (open for offer)
    • Dutch done by Hans
I think that's it. So, Gidge, unless you acquired books after we stopped you probably exhausted your sources? I can do two that still have to be done because I own the editions but actually have not much time currebtly (still working fulltime until October 1st).

I also remember Sharon and Cheryl both offered to do one of the short stories but I can't find which or which edition; supposedly US although with collectors you never know...

It's important to do all known country editions (as we encountered many differences between UK and US Pern editions) and even between publishers if there are any. Possibly also important to do the versions in the recently published anthologies also because they made have been typesetted anew.

So let us know which editions you have or can/will be able to do.
We are looking for all characters with short descriptions (don't forget to also describe personal features if they are given) and if you want you can also note down all other names, like those of planets, races etc.

Examples:

Hypatia Cade – XH-1033. Aged 7 at start of book, infected with some kind of alien disease when on a planet with her parents investigating EsKay ruins. Described as “protovirus” and “dystrophic sclerosis”, leaves her quadriplegic. Due to her adaptive and highly flexible and intelligent nature, gets accepted into the Brain programme. Bright-eyed, elfin, pretty with a thin, delicate face. Blue eyes, dark hair. Invests in Moto-Prosthetics until she has a controlling option. Uses this to have them build her a body – a cybernetic body with a wide-band comlink in the extreme short wave area – controlled by her (which they build for her in two weeks)

Moira Valentine-Maya – TM-370, current Brawn: Tomas. Shelled at nearly 4 years old. Courier Service. Picks Brawns on looks first

Tomas Delacorte-Ibanez – Brawn to Moira. Has a nice face, kind eyes, round tanned face with curly black hair and bright brown eyes, has a wide mouth

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.

Last edited by Hans; Aug 19 2005 at 04:36 AM.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9 2005, 12:27 PM   #5
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
(edited by me) Gimme some time Gidge! O, and don't worry, I got ALL the files saved and backupped
LOL I just thought that I'd start it up whilst I had some free time! Ok, so the actual reason is that I'm having a rubbish time at work at the moment, and doing this stops me from having to think about doing work which is NOT in my employee remit (and if anyone knows of a company looking for a marketing co-ordinator then please do let me know!).

Quote:
I think that's it. So, Gidge, unless you acquired books after we stopped you probably exhausted your sources? I can do two that still have to be done because I own the editions but actually have not much time currebtly (still working fulltime until October 1st).
Ummmmm no, I am supremely done! And I am still certain that I had the anthology that has The Ship Who Returned in it!! I actually go to France on Saturday where my AMC books are, so I shall once more in contact with them (fantastic!). Which kind of leads on to the question of, since some brainships appear in the Crystal Singer books, are we assuming that they are in the same universe and also that they need to be covered by this vast cast-listing? Because I can probably do the 3 books over the time I am away.

Quote:
I also remember Sharon and Cheryl both offered to do one of the short stories but I can't find which or which edition; supposedly US although with collectors you never know...
Ooooh. I think you may be right there .....I know we had a lot of offers at the time. Hmmmmm.
Old Jun 9 2005, 05:38 PM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

Ah, so you're not in France but what, travelling to and fro?

And about the Crystal Singer books... yes, same universe and since there are only three of those we might want to throw those into the project? I'm all for it

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jun 10 2005, 04:39 AM   #7
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Ah, so you're not in France but what, travelling to and fro?
LOL Well officially moved back to the U of K last year, faffed around for a fair number of months, and then took up my now new official residence (alongside what was my fantastic new permanent, full-time job) at the start of January.

My mum still lives in France, and my dad moved out there at the start of December. I haven't been out to visit since my dog had her puppies last September. One of my brothers and I are going out on Saturday for 10 days as it's my mother's 60th birthday (it was my dad's 60th last July, in case anyone is bothered!) - and it is going to be fantastic! I'll be bringing some of my AMC books back to me new home with me, so hurrah!

Quote:
And about the Crystal Singer books... yes, same universe and since there are only three of those we might want to throw those into the project? I'm all for it
Cool. I shall start on the CS series whilst I am out there!
Old Jun 10 2005, 04:53 PM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Congratulations are in order! 120 years of parents is certainly something to celebrate - and where better than in la Douce France

Gidge, do you take order for French Pern pocketbooks? Seriously, do you have easy access to a good French bookshop. See, I still miss three Pocket Presses Pern titles and I would gladly pay for purchase and postage...

Or maybe you have a French contact for me who could the on the lookout for them?
For my collection to be complete I still want to buy or trade for:
  1. French Pocket Presses edition (paperback) of Dragonsdawn, titled: L'Aube des dragons.
    Translated by Simone Hilling
    Cover art by: Wojtek Siudmak
  2. French Pocket Presses edition (paperback) of The Masterharper of Pern, titled: Le Maître-Harpiste de Pern.
    Translated by: Simone Hilling
  3. French Pocket Presses edition (paperback) of The Skies of Pern, titled: Le Ciels de Pern.
    Translated by: Simone Hilling

Old Jun 18 2005, 08:39 AM   #9
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Hans, I haven't had a chance to go out shopping to any bookshops yet this trip. There may be a chance for me to go on Monday, but I can't promise anything! I will also try and email your list to a French friend of mine and see what he can do. If he turns up a blank, then I shall keep the list handy every time I come away. I'll be going to Paris with my boyfriend in November, so will hopefully be able to have a look around there.

I haven't been quite as zealous with the CS series, but I have nearly finished the first one! I have so far noticed a slight date discrepancy. But don't worry, it's only out by 500 years!!
Old Jun 24 2005, 12:10 PM   #10
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Just to let you all know that I have completed The Crystal Singer (but have not typed it up yet!) and am working on Killashandra in my spare time (hears hysterical laughter in back of head ). I shall type them all up after I have the rough list for Crystal Song!
Old Jun 30 2005, 04:37 AM   #11
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Oooh. Just noticed that I am now officially "Threadbait". How nice.

Anyway, I have finished ALL of the CS series in rough now!

Slight bizarre twists of dates that are not consistent throughout the last book, but there we are.

Hans, I shall type them up as soon as I get a chance to (probably starting next Tuesday evening) and pass them over to you then, ok?
Old Jul 5 2005, 12:45 PM   #12
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

If I'm seeing thoughts of writing up the complete CS cast list in here at present... don't bother. It's done and has been for several years

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5 2005, 01:12 PM   #13
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam
If I'm seeing thoughts of writing up the complete CS cast list in here at present... don't bother. It's done and has been for several years
Really? Where? Who? What?
Old Jul 26 2005, 12:14 PM   #14
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Since it's been a month and I haven't heard a sausage from you, Pam, or you, Hans, and I haven't started to type up the CS cast list yet, is it still wanting to be done?

I'm still quite happy to do it, even if it is replication of an existing work.

Do you know where the cast lists are, Pam, or who was responsible for doing them? I'd like to see them if I can to compare notes!
Old Jul 26 2005, 04:15 PM   #15
Hans
Master Archivist

Major oops, Gidge, sorry...

Reading Pam's comment and having a vague recollection of it I think she means that she herself already did a complete CS cast list, but I am not sure.

That would mean that you should not start on one, I guess.

Any other books you might want to do lists for?

Old Jul 26 2005, 06:40 PM   #16
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Well Dear Mama is coming back from France (driving this time instead of getting the train, bless her) so if you want to pick a series for me, then feel free! I can let her know and have her transport the books back for me.

I could do Petaybee? Or Nimisha's Ship and The Coelura? The Acorna books come with a cast list in the books, so I'm not sure there is much point there! We are already working on the BB universe, and I'm not that keen on the Doona novels. Doesn't the Freedom series come with a cast list in one or more of the books anyway?

So I guess PTB, unless they have already been done somewhere? Or the Planet Pirates/Dinosaur Planet novels?

*shrug* Just let me know and I'll be on it!!
Old Aug 17 2005, 07:25 AM   #17
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Ok, I have done the PTB books in rough, and since my laptop will finally be ready by the time I finish work, I will start typing them up then.

Hans, do you want them sent to you as usual?
Old Aug 17 2005, 04:52 PM   #18
Hans
Master Archivist

That's great Gidge! Wonderful!

It's early days of course but if I may suggest the next batch it would be the Freedom (Catteni) Books.

Old Aug 18 2005, 04:34 AM   #19
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
That's great Gidge! Wonderful!

It's early days of course but if I may suggest the next batch it would be the Freedom (Catteni) Books.

Well it'll have to wait until either one of my parents, siblings or family friends go over to France and can bring back the books I'm afraid!! There is a Freedom character list in the front of each of the books though, isn't there?
Old Aug 18 2005, 10:16 PM   #20
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Meandering back in the general direction of the original topic--if no one has volunteered to do the US version of PartnerShip, I'd be glad to reread that and write up a character list, when I get back from GenCon next week, anyway.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19 2005, 04:34 AM   #21
Hans
Master Archivist

Nobody has come forward with that offer yet, Anareth. If you would do that book we are one book nearer completion of the whole series/editions.

I must say that, at first glance this series doesn't have any of those large differences between number of characters as the Pern Series does. But for the sake of completeness and quality we do want every major English language edition done

So, I'll put your name behind Partnership US

Old Aug 19 2005, 04:41 AM   #22
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

I'm with Hans! Thank you, Anareth!

(And can I just add that, as I am currently doing the PTB series - oh Lord, some of the bloopers in that! Fantastic!)
Old Aug 20 2005, 05:22 AM   #23
Hans
Master Archivist

Have you written them down?

Old Aug 22 2005, 04:46 AM   #24
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Have you written them down?
LOL Well of course I have! What kind of list would it be if I didn't????? LOL
Old Aug 22 2005, 05:26 AM   #25
Hans
Master Archivist

I meant the bloopers, sily I must admit I am very curious.

Old Aug 22 2005, 07:25 AM   #26
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
I meant the bloopers, silly I must admit I am very curious.
I know what you meant! I have written down all bloopers, variations, errata and discrepencies and all will be included!!!

A quick example is that Coaxtl changes sex from male to female and back again.
Old Aug 22 2005, 11:11 AM   #27
Brenda

I think I remember that one, but it was someone who wasn't familiar with the cat that referred to her as "him". You have to make sure it's the author's mistake and not just the character's!
Old Aug 23 2005, 04:36 AM   #28
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda
I think I remember that one, but it was someone who wasn't familiar with the cat that referred to her as "him". You have to make sure it's the author's mistake and not just the character's!
Begging your pardon, Brenda, but I'm not quite that silly. As it is Cita/Goat-Dung/Aoifa who makes the change (and in the space of less than a page), I feel it is safe to assume that it is not the character who is at fault.
Old Aug 24 2005, 11:08 AM   #29
Brenda

Hmmm... there might have been more than one, then.
Old Aug 24 2005, 11:59 AM   #30
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

I think the event that you are thinking of is the leader of the company Luzon sends down to strip the pharmacological goodies off the surface, and him mentioning the cat and Cita says "it's a she". Or I could just be making that all up!
Old Jun 14 2008, 08:41 PM   #31
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

I do I have most of BB Ships Books and also I think I can get hold of that short story too.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15 2008, 01:08 AM   #32
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

OK Gidget what a great idea... put me on your list...I will do the character list for Honeymoon...or any of the other of the ship books that still need a list to be made.

I've just finished reading all of them again for the MCQuest...what a great ride thats been this spring. I loved getting them all out again and re-reading them.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15 2008, 06:04 PM   #33
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

tsk, both of you! I think Gidget finished that list three years ago! As witness the dates earlier in the thread.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16 2008, 07:05 PM   #34
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

WHOOOOOPS!!! Thanks Teresa...here I am late again...DRAT!!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17 2008, 12:28 AM   #35
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

No prob, Maelin. I thought it was funny.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote