A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old May 19 2018, 11:31 AM   #4601
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: What is happening

Here we have warm days, unseasonably warm up to 26 C degrees. But then, the next day it's 13 degrees C... We had unseasonalby hot days before but the big differences within a day are rare.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2018, 04:13 PM   #4602
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Apparently we're going to be stuck with low 20s for the next week.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2018, 05:25 AM   #4603
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Awww, is that too hot or too cold for you, P'ter? Low 20s (C mind, not F!) is just about right for me. Too much over 27 C and I become woozy and don't feel like doing anything. Fine if you can just spend time under a parasol and enjoy the shade, but not if you have to go to work.

You had the perfect day yesterday for the Royal Wedding and the FA cup final.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2018, 03:44 PM   #4604
cicada
Darbul

Fan of: Freedom series

We're officially in thunderstorm season in the southeastern US!
cicada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8 2018, 08:56 PM   #4605
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Right...finally got the Lada roadworthy again.

We had...shall I call it...fun...getting the emission test passed.

This turned out due initially to a dead ECU. This meant initially that I had no diagnostic system. Eventually I managed to track down a replacement ECU (they're basically made of unobtainium these days), which got me a working onboard diagnostic system.

That showed a duff oxygen sensor. This was duly (if awkwardly) replaced. ...at which point it still persisted in showing code 13...no oxygen sensor signal.

Wiring was checked, rechecked, the sensor was tested...all fine.

I eventually tracked this down to being due to an actual design flaw in the ECU resulting in problems with any non original sensor (they've been extinct and unobtainable for about ten years now)...was actually really easy to sort once I worked out what was going on. All I needed to do was link too wires to correctly ground the sensing circuit.

Suddenly the carbon monoxide content in the exhaust gases dropped from 5.247% (legal limit is 0.2%) down to a much more reasonable 0.047%. Not a bad result I reckon for a 25 year old bit of Russian pig iron.

Should improve my fuel economy a fair bit too!

Not much else been going on lately, reverse engineering a significant portion of the fuel injection system there had occupied the bulk of my brain cells for a fair while!
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12 2018, 04:11 AM   #4606
Hans
Master Archivist

I admire your perseverance. My old Lada (I think I traded it in 25 years ago) was exported back to Russia an might still be on duty there

In 2014 I saw its brother on a curb in St. Petersburg

St. Petersburg by Hans van der Boom, on Flickr

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jun 12 2018, 12:48 PM   #4607
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Zelandeth, I know what you mean about working with old cars. I restored antique cars for about 15 years, so I know from first-hand experience that things are not always what one thinks they should be.

I once did a lot of the restoration on a 1936 Cadillac. When it came time for wiring, as part of the engine bay work, I put all the wiring on the flathead V-8. Now understand that I thought that V-8 firing order, with the exception of Ford, was all the same. All General Motors brands and all Chrysler brands number their cylinders the same; one bank 1-3-5-7, the other 2-4-6-8. Ford did it different; 1-2-3-4 and 5-6-7-8. Firing order on non-Ford V-8s was all the same; 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

Well, I found out that is indeed true..... of overhead valve V-8s. Flatheads were quite a different story. That Caddy wouldn't run for diddly-squat. When I finally got my hands on a book (pre-internet days …. how did we ever survive?) I was able to correct things and by the time it was done, that big monster 4-door sedan would ghost along at 45 or 50 miles per hour (and up) so quietly and deceptively smooth you hardly knew the engine was running. I had to watch myself closely because more than twice I found myself doing that 40 or 45 MPH in a 25 or 30 MPH zone. Beautiful antique car or not, cops frown on such things and get rather upset about it. Especially when the license plate reads "PETRONE" and there's a realist-looking Tommy gun with a drum magazine in it laying on the back seat. The owner was a doctor. He also had a Ferrari. The license plate on it read "BASTA". Anyone need translations?
Old Jun 13 2018, 12:41 PM   #4608
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: rereading the crystal singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Zelandeth, I know what you mean about working with old cars. I restored antique cars for about 15 years, so I know from first-hand experience that things are not always what one thinks they should be.

I once did a lot of the restoration on a 1936 Cadillac. When it came time for wiring, as part of the engine bay work, I put all the wiring on the flathead V-8. Now understand that I thought that V-8 firing order, with the exception of Ford, was all the same. All General Motors brands and all Chrysler brands number their cylinders the same; one bank 1-3-5-7, the other 2-4-6-8. Ford did it different; 1-2-3-4 and 5-6-7-8. Firing order on non-Ford V-8s was all the same; 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

Well, I found out that is indeed true..... of overhead valve V-8s. Flatheads were quite a different story. That Caddy wouldn't run for diddly-squat. When I finally got my hands on a book (pre-internet days …. how did we ever survive?) I was able to correct things and by the time it was done, that big monster 4-door sedan would ghost along at 45 or 50 miles per hour (and up) so quietly and deceptively smooth you hardly knew the engine was running. I had to watch myself closely because more than twice I found myself doing that 40 or 45 MPH in a 25 or 30 MPH zone. Beautiful antique car or not, cops frown on such things and get rather upset about it. Especially when the license plate reads "PETRONE" and there's a realist-looking Tommy gun with a drum magazine in it laying on the back seat. The owner was a doctor. He also had a Ferrari. The license plate on it read "BASTA". Anyone need translations?
uuummm… no
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13 2018, 12:58 PM   #4609
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara View Post
uuummm… no
"Basta" may not mean what you think, unless you speak Italian.

Tomorrow I go in for surgery for colon cancer. "See" you all after.
Old Jun 14 2018, 01:06 PM   #4610
Hans
Master Archivist

Belated good luck Allen!

Old Jun 17 2018, 06:40 AM   #4611
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I hope your surgery went well, Allen. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:06 PM   #4612
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

It's either hot & humid or storming. We've had a couple of close tornados.
Kibby fell down some stairs about a week after moving to Staunton and broke her wrist. It's all healed up now and as soon as the cast came off she got a job at McDonald's. She's working the grill which is what she wanted. Since she worked at McDonald's here she was started at a higher pay. Over all she is doing well.

Not much going on in Concord. I've mostly been staying home taking care of Mom.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote