A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Feb 26 2014, 10:26 AM   #2001
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: What is happening

What a great job, Michelle! They look great, Kibby as wel as the Jadeon centaur Kudos to you!

And the photo is absolutely wonderful!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26 2014, 11:39 AM   #2002
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

There was both set up for pics at the con with a green screen. It was cool watching them add the background and glowing ball to the pic.

John De Lancie (Q from Star Trek) who was getting pics with fan. The back ground for those pics. was the star ship Enterprise.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27 2014, 07:16 AM   #2003
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

It's one degree F out. Bit chilly! I put out more seed in the feeder on the deck and dumped a pile of seed on the deck for the squirrels.

In warmer news, some of the information has arrived for Jeff's & my early May DisneyWorld trip. Can't wait!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27 2014, 07:37 AM   #2004
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Looks GREAT! Well done!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27 2014, 06:04 PM   #2005
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Tues & today there have been a LOT of bomb threats to all the schools in Lynchburg & the main hospital (the only one with an E.R.). All were evacuated and the E.R locked down. They caught the guy. He tried to extort money saying if he was not paid he would bomb a school. He has been charged with 24 felonies.

Things have been a little tense around here. Melissa was unsure if should send Emmi & Madison to school today. Once the bomb threats started today she debated rather or not she should pick them up early.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Feb 27 2014, 07:06 PM   #2006
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Mawra - kudos to you and Kibby, she and her centaur costume look fantastic! I'm glad you guys got to go have fun at a convention.

My son is still struggling with migraines, and we've been back to the ER once so far since the two-day hospitalization. That turned out to be pretty useless--although it did lower his pain level, it was right back up the next day. This week he added a case of strep throat, because he needed more fun in his life. But the antibiotics have finally kicked that down and his headache pain has lowered too (strep often causes headaches), so I'm as always hopeful that the end is just around the corner. And it'd be just in time as mandatory state standardized testing starts Mon and if he can't make it to school for that we'll have to wrangle time for it to be administered at home in a tight timeline.

Last week I baked nine loaves of banana bread, seven of which were given away as thank yous to the many folks that helped take care of my girls when my son was hospitalized. I have it confirmed now from the appreciative recipients that banana bread is a recognized universal sign of gratitude. Also that my family is not amused with me giving so much away, as the five of us can demolish a loaf in less than 24 hours.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28 2014, 08:01 AM   #2007
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

This has been a long struggle for your whole family, Cheryl. I hope it will be over soon!

Banana bread is a real treat, I can imagine considering it a very gracious "thank you!" I try not to bake very often. None of us need the calories.
Old Feb 28 2014, 11:37 AM   #2008
Hans
Master Archivist

Good grief, Cheryl, how horrible that your son is stillsuffering... I feel for him (and the rest of the family). It can't be easy! Gove him my regards and tell him we're thinking of him

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28 2014, 04:36 PM   #2009
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1 2014, 08:30 PM   #2010
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Got my husband a new recliner type chair for his birthday in a couple of weeks.

Maw, I am glad they caught the person making bomb threats. What IS the matter with people?!
Old Mar 1 2014, 09:51 PM   #2011
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

When the kids were told it was a fire drill 9 yr. old Madison looked at her teacher, "they would not bring us up to the church for a fire drill."

Most of the time Madison's teacher is amused by her. Not so much that day. We all feel much better that he was caught.

Old Mar 2 2014, 11:46 PM   #2012
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

Hang in there Cheryl. *hugs* to you and the family. My thoughts are with you and the doctors that they are able to ease his pain soon.

Mawra, I'm glad they caught him and no one was hurt.

Look forward to pictures afterwards, Cilla.

My baby sister married her boyfriend of 13 years yesterday night. It was a beautiful, moving wedding and awesome celebration afterwards. For those on Facebook, you'll be seeing pictures on and off from it as everyone posts.
Old Mar 3 2014, 02:25 PM   #2013
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Congrats to your sister, Moonlady! Nice for your family to have something so wonderful to celebrate!

My son is on a stronger antibiotic for strep throat now - I'm glad that I didn't second guess my decision to take him back to the doctor on Saturday when his throat still looked gross after 5 days of treatment (out of 10).

We had a snow day today, but I suspect school will be ready to open on time tomorrow as it wasn't as severe as expected and stopped much sooner as well. In that case my son is going for a partial day as they are doing standardized testing and I've been told that if he can't make it to school they'll just have to arrange for someone to come to the house to administer it. So we're going to give it a shot and if nothing else they can see for themselves how hard it is for him to concentrate for more than short bursts of time.
Old Mar 3 2014, 10:47 PM   #2014
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I hope he feels better soon.

We had a snow day here as well. Tomorrow the college is opening 90 minutes late, which is an odd time. Most of the classes start on the hour so they would only be there for half the class. Kibby only has once class so should go in for just half an hour. She has not missed any math classes so I am letting her skip this one. I just don't see the point in wasting 20 dollars in gas for just half a class. All her class work is done on the computer, so she won't miss anything.

Old Mar 4 2014, 07:47 AM   #2015
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
We had a snow day today, but I suspect school will be ready to open on time tomorrow as it wasn't as severe as expected and stopped much sooner as well. In that case my son is going for a partial day as they are doing standardized testing and I've been told that if he can't make it to school they'll just have to arrange for someone to come to the house to administer it. So we're going to give it a shot and if nothing else they can see for themselves how hard it is for him to concentrate for more than short bursts of time.
I swear with this COmmon Core crap, they don't care, Cheryl. There was a case in Florida lately: The little boy was DYING, and the education system gave his parents a hard time about him not taking their bloody tests.
Old Mar 4 2014, 08:03 AM   #2016
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

It is all "teaching to the test". I hate it. I was talking to our next door neighbor who has four kids from third grade up to high school senior. She hates it. She showed me some of the third grader's math homework. It was word problems using language a high school student would find difficult. Now I'm not complaining about getting students to "stretch their brains" but apparently they are not learning the basics - adding, subtracting, etc. She said one town in CT has quit doing Common Core. I wish more would!
Old Mar 4 2014, 12:59 PM   #2017
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Here there was a story about 3rd graders getting encouragement as they went in to take the SOL test. It was expected to take them at least 4 hours. By the time they came out some of the were in tears from the stress.

I would not do well if I had to take tests for 4 hours now, much less when I was 8 or 9 years old.

Old Mar 4 2014, 10:08 PM   #2018
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

What needs to happen is for the parents to rise up in revolt about the tests because when the teachers do, they threaten us saying we are afraid because we are bad teachers. This test madness is just companies competing to make more money which is sad. Off my soapbox.

Yes, Cheryl it has been great having something good. I wish the best for you and the boy tomorrow.
Old Mar 6 2014, 09:52 PM   #2019
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I am cold. I am tired of cold. We are suppose to get ice tonight.

Where is spring? Is it ever going to get here?

Old Mar 7 2014, 12:55 AM   #2020
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

It got up to about 50 here today.
Old Mar 7 2014, 10:22 AM   #2021
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

It is suppose to be warm here this weekend.

Old Mar 7 2014, 11:20 AM   #2022
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

If we have two more snow days the "kids" (Jenn, Mike, Fred and Eliza) will not be able to go to Disney. They are set to go starting June 20. The last day of school was supposed to be June 11. They are already up to June 20. Mike will have to change his flight and go that evening while the other three take the morning flight on the 20th. This is ridiculous! The last full week of school for him (he is a teacher) is all "half-days" to make it look like the kids are getting the full required number of days of school for the year. They cannot change their trip to a later date in the summer because as soon as they get back Mike begins his summer class for his Master's.
Old Mar 7 2014, 05:28 PM   #2023
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Too bad they can't miss those last few days. I always hated it when they cut into summer break.

Old Mar 7 2014, 06:03 PM   #2024
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Unfortunately, it is Mike's first year as a teacher so there's no way he could leave. I gather he's not the only teacher with difficulties. Parents with kids in the system can just "leave" with them if they have vacation plans - not the teachers. It's looking like they will still get to go, fingers crossed.
Old Mar 7 2014, 06:21 PM   #2025
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
If we have two more snow days the "kids" (Jenn, Mike, Fred and Eliza) will not be able to go to Disney. They are set to go starting June 20. The last day of school was supposed to be June 11. They are already up to June 20. Mike will have to change his flight and go that evening while the other three take the morning flight on the 20th. This is ridiculous! The last full week of school for him (he is a teacher) is all "half-days" to make it look like the kids are getting the full required number of days of school for the year. They cannot change their trip to a later date in the summer because as soon as they get back Mike begins his summer class for his Master's.
Hugs
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8 2014, 12:41 PM   #2026
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: acorna's children second wave

Spring is here in the Netherlands. Tomorrow 20° C. (I don't know F.)
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8 2014, 12:46 PM   #2027
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Cilla - that is rough. I hope something gets worked out to a more sensible schedule and that the trip happens for the family.

We've used our snow days, plus one extra now, and I think the plan to make it up is to turn a teacher in-service day back into a school day. That seems so much nicer than extending into the summer.

I also remember a couple years ago when there was a bad run of snow days (hmm, in 2010 as I recall), that many counties in MD petitioned the state school governing authority to have the extra days forgiven instead of having to make them up. I don't recall how that turned out, as it didn't affect us (somehow we didn't go beyond the allotted snow days).
Old Mar 8 2014, 05:43 PM   #2028
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I remember when I was in high school TRIED to make days up on Sat. It did not work. No one showed up. A couple of years ago they extended the hours students had go. They started 15 min early and got out 15 min late, or something like that.

Any days added after May is useless, the SOLs are in May, by law. Nothing after that really counts.

Old Mar 8 2014, 06:05 PM   #2029
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

When do your schools start in the Fall? Ours start several days before Labor Day weekend and should have gone to June 11. A lot of our schools do not have air conditioning. Going late in June is not fun. What are SOL's?
Old Mar 8 2014, 07:51 PM   #2030
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

US folks. Don't forget to change your clocks tonight!
Old Mar 8 2014, 08:24 PM   #2031
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Cilla, I hope the snow days end for your son and all works out.

I hope Spring arrives soon for those still stuck in Winter. We need Winter (rain) more... Not trying to rub it in, but too much summer in this state.

Other than that day by day. It seems that this is the year I improve my communication skills with administration. This year, I received a student who is well known in the district for her behavior. My staff and I followed the behavior plan and when it was not changing the behavior, we put together our heads and tried everything we know. We kept data, shared it with admin and DO (district office). Still the behavior continued to the point that an employee filed a complaint with the union because she often ran into the teacher's lounge. Last week, I was called in to a meeting with my principal and one vice principal. The gist of the meeting was if I ran a better classroom, we'd not have the problem we have. At one point, I lost it and said after 12 years of the same behavior why am I the teacher being pulled in and blamed. My classroom ran good until this student joined it. I'm having the same problems previous teachers had why don't we look at the common denominator instead of blaming me. They said they were not blaming me but wanted to support me. We ended the meeting and agreed to meet again. I went to my union reps for help expressing myself because if my admin wants to support me than I need behavior support from a trained behavior specialist if I'm going to change her behavior after over 12 years of it. Now, if everyone agrees we have a meeting after school next Friday. If you made it this far, then thank you.
Old Mar 9 2014, 10:34 AM   #2032
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Moonlady, good luck with the student from hell. Someone needs to look at the home life as well as the school environment, if nothing has changed in 12 years. Teachers can do everything right, and if the parents aren't on board, all that good work gets torpedoed.

Trying to get started on the spring cleaning....hard to do when it isn't spring and there is still three feet of snow in the yard.
Old Mar 9 2014, 11:17 AM   #2033
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
When do your schools start in the Fall? Ours start several days before Labor Day weekend and should have gone to June 11. A lot of our schools do not have air conditioning. Going late in June is not fun. What are SOL's?
If our schools have a lot of snow days they can start before Labor Day. If the do not have snow days they can not start before Labor Day.

SOLs at the Standard Of Learning test. The test by which the school and teachers are measured by. If it is not on the test it is not taught. The whole year is determined by them. They have to be given in early May, by state law. One year they did extend the date by one week. Anything taught after that does not really count for anything.

It is to the point that the only thing the teachers can teach is the test and how to take it.

Old Mar 9 2014, 11:17 AM   #2034
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Hooo boy, I really feel for you, Moonlady! When you mentioned this kid in your class it reminded me of some of the kids we had in the "after school" program I worked in for about 4 years. Several of them were really bad. I remember one kid telling me he had a gun at home, he knew where I lived and he was going to kill me. Even though I reported it to my boss absolutely nothing happened. Today they take threats like that more seriously. At least he was not there every day and I was not his teacher. I agree with AnnMarie, it sounds like the parents aren't doing their part. Best of luck to you and I hope you can get support from your principal and not be a scapegoat!

I don't do a spring cleaning. Occasionally we run the vacuum and once a year Jeff washes the outside of the windows. If someone happens to be coming over (very rare) we may do a bit more.
Old Mar 9 2014, 11:21 AM   #2035
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I think our snow has all finally melted. It got up 69 yesterday. I don't know what they are calling for this week.

Old Mar 9 2014, 11:23 AM   #2036
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Good luck with your student. It sounds like a behavior specialist is needed, Moonlady.

Old Mar 9 2014, 04:33 PM   #2037
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Moonlady: sounds like you need Priscilla's pupil to bring his gun over and deal with her!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2014, 07:58 PM   #2038
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Whoa. I know you're joking, but guns aren't much of a laughing matter to me.
Old Mar 9 2014, 08:49 PM   #2039
Lily

How terrifying is this gun talk!!!! Thank goodness we have nothing of the sort here in New Zealand!
Old Mar 9 2014, 11:06 PM   #2040
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Thank you everyone.

Sadly, for my student some of it is not in her control. There are times when you can see she is fighting with herself for control. It breaks our (me and my staff) hearts. There seems to be a "chemical" component to it and I don't think her doctor is doing everything he can. Her family is on medicare and sometimes doctors on medicare do not offer comprehensive care. Also, I don't know how pro-active mom is with the doctor. When I was talking to her, she told me how the doctor told her not to worry about her daughter eating paper because it will just go through her. Its so bad, her mom has to hide the toilet paper or she'd eat it all. Thanks again.

Cilla, that is horrible. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about student's threatening me with a gun but still its horrible that your administration did nothing about it.

May everyone have a great week.