A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Mar 12 2008, 07:10 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
2cent Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley (review, no spoilers)

Dragonhaven is Robin McKinley's newest book. As her books have gotten better and better with each new release for the past several years, I had high hopes for this one. Hopes which were not fully met.

I think the basic, underlying story is a good one, and would be a fascinating tale if done with a traditional 3rd person voice. The raising of the baby dragon, and subsequent development of human-dragon relations is very interesting in its details.

Unfortunately the voice that McKinley used to tell the tale overshadows the plot and made the overall experience of reading quite annoying at times. The tale is told in first person by an adolescent boy. He's intelligent, with good grammar and spelling -- that's not the issue -- but his writing is at times highly disorganized. He's quite prone to run-on sentences as well as asides and longer tangential sections, before he reins himself back to the point he'd been approaching.

I'll give McKinley full props for capturing this voice: it's believable and she uses it consistantly. As a literary technique, it is well executed. It's just not very readable for a full length novel. So many times I wanted to wring the character's neck and tell him to get on with the story.

If you love dragons and want to read a new approach to them, then you might appreciate wading through this book. And possibly if you're an adolescent yourself you won't be as bothered as I was by the way the tale is told (I'm sure I wrote rather like this as a teenager...).

But if you're just hoping for another one of McKinley's beautifully told tales... you're better off skipping this one.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17 2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Windylee
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: rereading Dragonsong
Default Re: Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley (review, no spoilers)

I started reading this book. I loved the idea that story was based on, but when I started reading it, it just got bogged down. I tried to stick with it, but I ended up giving it to my nephew to see if he might enjoy reading it.
Windylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17 2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I can't say I'm surprised to hear that, it was slow-going at times, especially the long introductory bit before the main story finally begins.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2009, 05:46 AM   #4
DragonDance
Inactive

I just picked this up the other day. Never read anything by this author before.

I love the world she created. I love the twists on dragons she makes. Some scenes had me laughing out load, specifically Eric and the odorus dragons. But I agree, the narrator was downright annoying at times. Even in the epilogue it wasn't really adult-sounding. I also didn't like how black and white the conflict was and there was no real rise in action. I still enjoyed it, but I felt that it was diminished a bit with some pacing issues and narrative voice. First person would have been fine if the main character was as mature as the story would lead us to believe. Someone that grown up and responsible would not talk in that fashion, I feel.
DragonDance is offline   Reply With Quote