A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Jan 14 2022, 11:19 PM   #1
Altair

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern
Default Weyrling Wing

I belong to a piece of fandom and want to clarify how weyrlings operate during a Fall.

I get junior weyrlings supply from a ground level. For the seniors, I've been trying to read the Guide to Pern and it seems like there are 3 fighting wings, a weyrling wing, then a queens' wing.

If the weyrlings are doing resupply, are they in wing formation? How do they know which riders need new bags of firestone- do fighting wingriders bespeak the WLM leading the wing who then orders whichever weyrling to deliver?

All the while they must also be flaming any bits of Thread that have made it through the 3 wings above them.

Am I thinking of this correctly?
Altair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15 2022, 03:57 AM   #2
BD1
Dragonrider

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: the Pern books
Default Re: Weyrling Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post
If the weyrlings are doing resupply, are they in wing formation? How do they know which riders need new bags of firestone- do fighting wingriders bespeak the WLM leading the wing who then orders whichever weyrling to deliver?

All the while they must also be flaming any bits of Thread that have made it through the 3 wings above them.

Am I thinking of this correctly?
I think the riders say when they're low or out of firestone. So the weyrlings get the sacks to the riders.
Old Jan 15 2022, 06:00 PM   #3
Altair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
I think the riders say when they're low or out of firestone. So the weyrlings get the sacks to the riders.
So there isn't really a wing to lead? I do recall the Guide to Pern saying there's a lot more self-initiative than there would be in a wing, so that's likely true.
Old Jan 16 2022, 08:49 PM   #4
BD1
Dragonrider

The Weyrling Master is in charge of the weyrling wings.
Old Jan 17 2022, 11:55 PM   #5
Altair

I realize that I just didn't know if there was a weyrling wing flying formation when delivering resupply-- and if so, if when they weren't resupplying, if they were flaming thread on a low level.

The DLG says in the paragraph of flying firestone to riders: "Also, the rider must depend more on his own initiative than he would if he were flying in formation with a group of his fellows."

So from that sentence, it makes me think they aren't flying formation when doing resupply. Maybe they're on the ground waiting until summoned by a rider, then return once the delivery is done.

Also unclear is how long a bag of firestone lasts a dragon. I would wager larger dragons burn through more as they produce wider and longer lasting fire.
Old Jan 18 2022, 05:38 PM   #6
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post
I realize that I just didn't know if there was a weyrling wing flying formation when delivering resupply-- and if so, if when they weren't resupplying, if they were flaming thread on a low level.

The DLG says in the paragraph of flying firestone to riders: "Also, the rider must depend more on his own initiative than he would if he were flying in formation with a group of his fellows."

So from that sentence, it makes me think they aren't flying formation when doing resupply. Maybe they're on the ground waiting until summoned by a rider, then return once the delivery is done.

Also unclear is how long a bag of firestone lasts a dragon. I would wager larger dragons burn through more as they produce wider and longer lasting fire.
I think dragons can control how big their flame is. Ruth took great pride in how economical he could be with his flames.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2022, 08:00 PM   #7
Altair

^ I bet that's true in some respects. A larger dragon will have the chest capacity and larger stomach for holding more gas.
Old Jan 19 2022, 08:38 PM   #8
BD1
Dragonrider

While the dragon is chewing firestone, he or she (green dragon) has to think of their second stomach.