A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old May 1 2007, 11:59 PM   #1
tatiana
Journeyman

Fan of: Dragonsong
Now Reading: A Storm of Swords
Default Hello! And...Is this Pern concept art?

Hi,

It's been awhile since I've stopped by to check out this forum...I'm a long time Pern fan from when I first read Dragonsong back in 1976 when I was in 5th grade.

I initially ran across you all last year when I heard about the latest prospect of a Pern movie in development, and read this forum thread...and at the same time, just happened to catch some concept art for the movie pitch over on ConceptArt.org where I usually hang out. The art was up only briefly before being quickly taken down and the entire thread deleted. But a few people around here saw them, too.

In any case, I just happened to run across some more possible Pern concept art for the movie pitch by another artist in his upcoming art book...and thought I'd share what I found. I was looking for updates on the release date for another book (concept art by Midway Studios) and saw that this artist (I knew him from high school years ago so I was curious) had a single possible Impression image on the publisher's site...and, yup, he had a few more images over on his own gallery, including a white dragon.

In case anyone wants to check it out, here are the links to both:
Publisher:
http://www.designstudiopress.com/new...aron_sims.html

Artist Gallery images:
http://www.aaron-sims.com/portfolio-image5-29.html
http://www.aaron-sims.com/portfolio-image5-31.html
http://www.aaron-sims.com/portfolio-image5-30.html
http://www.aaron-sims.com/portfolio-image5-32.html

BTW...any new info on the project?

t
tatiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2007, 01:22 AM   #2
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings
Default Re: Hello! And...Is this Pern concept art?

SWEET!!!! That is SO awesome! I love it so much more than the previous concept art that was circulating. Still not my ideal image - but then it never is It's still VERY drool-worthy! Thank you so much for posting them!
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2007, 01:25 AM   #3
Weyrwoman Kalina
Inactive

Fan of: Crystal Singer series!
Now Reading: Moreta

OoooOOOOooooh!!! That's awesome!

Thank you for posting those links.
Weyrwoman Kalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2007, 03:00 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

This is art made for an earlier attempt at getting Pern to the big screen; two of these hang on Anne's kitchen wall. Anne's story to go with it is funny (but much better if you hear her tell it herself).

She said to the person bringing these to show her the concept: "You don't really think you can leave this house with those still in your possession, are you?" (or something close) So that shows you that Anne liked them very much too

I did photograph them, and I know anneli did too, but because they are framed behind glass the pictures didn't come out well. Anneli's attempt were much better.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2007, 03:42 AM   #5
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

what beautiful pictures!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2007, 08:19 AM   #6
Joz
Eskay

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

Wow! I haven't seen them before either. I like the first one of the rider next to his dragon, and the last which I suppose is Lessa impressing Ramoth.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2007, 09:15 AM   #7
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

-Jawdrops-

That's almost exactly how I envisioned the dragons to be. Headknobs! I see headknobs! xDD

Just...-whistles- Sizes and whatnot as well.

Thank you for sharing those with us...^^
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2007, 09:59 AM   #8
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Aaron has got a great feel for Pern and the dragons. Too bad they are not current. Maybe someone will remember him and we'll be lucky enough to have him on the new movie attempt.
Old May 2 2007, 10:17 AM   #9
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Aaron has got a great feel for Pern and the dragons. Too bad they are not current. Maybe someone will remember him and we'll be lucky enough to have him on the new movie attempt.
I wish the PERN producers would do like Peter Jackson did, and hire the foremost artists of the series to do the conceptual art work.

In this case it would be:

1. Michael Whelan
2. Robin Wood

The art shown isn't too bad. The face on Ruth just looks a little odd. I like Whelan's art of him better. Ruth also seems to be a little small in that picture to fly 3 people. Also, I imagine the dragonettes taking up almost all of the egg when they hatch (at least 3/4), the art shown seems to show them at about 1/2 to 1/3 the mass of the egg. Just minor quibbles. I could live with the art shown making the film, but I'd be so much happier with a Michael Whelan PERN dragon.

Understanding how movies work, they'll probably only be able to hire one or two 'names' to star in the movies. If so, put me down for the one 'name' to be Pierce Brosnan as Robinton. And at 53, he's just the right age to play Robinton at the beginning of Dragonflight.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2007, 10:50 AM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

GH, you have one guess who Anne herself named when she said whom she most wanted for that role...

I don't think she has the deciding vote however...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old May 2 2007, 01:54 PM   #11
GHarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
GH, you have one guess who Anne herself named when she said whom she most wanted for that role...

I would think Sean Connery. At least, when she was writing Robinton, he would have been a good pick. But I think Sean would be too old, now. So we go with a younger Bond. And I picture Brosnan having a closer build to Robinton than Connery. (But if it is Brosnan, I hope the producers give her her pick.)

Hans, what do you think of who I want to be the Conceptual Artists for the film? (To keep this on subject, as there is a different thread for who we'd like to see in the movie roles.)

Hans, maybe you could post the answer in the appropriate thread:
http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=483

I didn't see any of your posts in this thread, so maybe you could enlighten us as to who you would like to see.

GH
Old May 2 2007, 02:06 PM   #12
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)

Very intriguing artwork! It has a good feel to it. I really hope, if the movie ever surfaces, they will choose something like this. Nothing less!
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2007, 03:54 PM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

GH, fan questions is a pretty broad subject and no, Anne was realistic already years ago. Even if she wanted Connery she always maintained he would be too expensive anyway, so out of the question.

Last I spoke to Anne she also named Pierce Brosnan, I thought that was obvious I don't post in the movie trhead(s) because I have no preferences for characters.

Old May 2 2007, 11:28 PM   #14
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I have to confess, I dislike the baby Ramoth--it looks like a freakin' velociraptor. But in the background, I love Nemorth's head.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2007, 12:50 AM   #15
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post
I wish the PERN producers would do like Peter Jackson did, and hire the foremost artists of the series to do the conceptual art work.

1. Michael Whelan
2. Robin Wood

*snip* I could live with the art shown making the film, but I'd be so much happier with a Michael Whelan PERN dragon.
It would be great to have them contribute, but even the LotR films didn't use only those artists for the whole thing. And as much as I adore Whelan's beautiful art, they are definitely not accurate. I would far rather see dragons that come as close to the descriptions as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post

Are you serious?! Pierce Brosnan is EXACTLY who I pictured for Robinton as well! I really hope he gets casted.
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2007, 03:04 PM   #16
Goldrider Thais
Heavyworlder

Fan of: Dragonflight <3 F'lar fan
Now Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray

i loved the first one although the proportion is difficult for me...the one i took to be lessa impressing ramoth just didn't do it for me...
Goldrider Thais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2007, 03:10 PM   #17
Goldrider Thais
Heavyworlder

Fan of: Dragonflight <3 F'lar fan
Now Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray

i'm not exactly sure how i even got to it or how old this is, but i happened upon this website (http://www.glowingwebs.com/pages/behrpern.htm) when looking for some totally -worthy pics of F'lar
Goldrider Thais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2007, 03:57 PM   #18
Hans
Master Archivist

Thais, as I said they were made for the previous Pern movie project with Warner Bros. and Ronald D. Moore (Battlestar Galactica) and that blew up in 2002; so these pics also date from that year.

Old May 3 2007, 04:22 PM   #19
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

So long as they are very accurate with their portrayal of Pern, to be honest I'm not overly bothered as to which novel they choose to adapt.

But for my tuppence...Jeremy Irons as Lytol...>.<
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2007, 10:12 AM   #20
GHarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjslack View Post
But for my tuppence...Jeremy Irons as Lytol...>.<
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Not Jeremy Irons in another dragon movie.

He was awful in Dungeons & Dragons: The Movie.

Not bad in Eragon.

But enough is enough!

GH
Old May 5 2007, 12:51 PM   #21
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post

1. Michael Whelan
2. Robin Wood

The art shown isn't too bad. The face on Ruth just looks a little odd. I like Whelan's art of him better. Ruth also seems to be a little small in that picture to fly 3 people. Also, I imagine the dragonettes taking up almost all of the egg when they hatch (at least 3/4), the art shown seems to show them at about 1/2 to 1/3 the mass of the egg. Just minor quibbles. I could live with the art shown making the film, but I'd be so much happier with a Michael Whelan PERN dragon.

Understanding how movies work, they'll probably only be able to hire one or two 'names' to star in the movies. If so, put me down for the one 'name' to be Pierce Brosnan as Robinton. And at 53, he's just the right age to play Robinton at the beginning of Dragonflight.

GH
I love Whelan's art too. His cover of White Dragon is what first brought me to Pern and Anne's writings. I do love the look and feel of his dragons. I met him in the airport after Anne's induction along with his wife too, both nice people. There's something about his art that I really love. He's done several works that I love to look at. One reminds me of Tia (Ship Who Searched) playing in her space suit. I'm guessing he had to have read the book to come up with that. So I've collected the art books that he's published just so I can drool over his art.

As for Robinton, I know that Brosnan has been pointed out as Anne's choice to play him, but he wasn't her original choice. He's a bit old now for Robinton, but Anne's original pick for him was James Cromwell. He's the one pictured as Robinton on the cover of People of Pern. I can never see him in any movie now without thinking of him as Robinton.
http://entimg.msn.com/i/150/Movies/A...75_150x200.jpg This link will take you to a picture of him. Robin Wood did a great job of making James into Robinton on the cover. Tho the portrait inside the book is not James, which I found very interesting.
Old May 8 2007, 11:00 AM   #22
GHarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
As for Robinton, I know that Brosnan has been pointed out as Anne's choice to play him, but he wasn't her original choice. He's a bit old now for Robinton, but Anne's original pick for him was James Cromwell. He's the one pictured as Robinton on the cover of People of Pern. I can never see him in any movie now without thinking of him as Robinton.
http://entimg.msn.com/i/150/Movies/A...75_150x200.jpg This link will take you to a picture of him. Robin Wood did a great job of making James into Robinton on the cover. Tho the portrait inside the book is not James, which I found very interesting.
Here are the two pictures that I see of Robinton, but unfortunately, I don't see a resemblance to James Cromwell. Of course, in these pictures, I don't see a resemblance to Pierce Brosnan, either. When I read the books, I picture Robinton has having mixed gray/brown hair, not completely white.

http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Pri.../Robinton.html

http://pern.srellim.org/peoplepern.htm

GH
Old May 13 2007, 12:23 PM   #23
Becky
Coelura

It's the cover pic that Robinton is based on James Cromwell. I can see him in the picture tho the nose is a bit larger than the real man's nose. I'm sure Robin changed some details and didn't do actual portraits trying to make her drawings really look like that person, just as a base making changes here and there.
Old May 14 2007, 06:26 AM   #24
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.

Oh they're gorgeous!

I like the one of Lessa Impressing Ramoth, especially how he did Lessa. But Ramoth...she looks like one of those man-eating raptors from Jurassic Park! No wonder the girls ran away screaming! And even though Nemorth is supposed to be ugly, I can't help but think she has a beautiful head.

But then, I think all dragons are beautiful.

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2007, 09:37 AM   #25
Dragonmom
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonseye
Now Reading: Debt of Honor (Tom Clancy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
I have to confess, I dislike the baby Ramoth--it looks like a freakin' velociraptor. But in the background, I love Nemorth's head.
My thoughts exactly.....posture, everything...ick
Dragonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2007, 01:29 PM   #26
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Tatiana, Thank you so much for posting Aaron's site...his art work is amazing.
I think we all have a slightly different minds eye as to what the Dragons and the rest of the Pern characters look like. Aaron's is close to what I have seen in my mind... and a lot closer in my opinion than Whelan's very beautiful concepts and covers...in my personal opinion. I am just happy that there are such wonderful artist out there that are putting there skills together into bring the vision forth...for all of us to enjoy.

P.S. How do I keep missing all these fantastic threads...especially when I all but live in here...arrrgghhh!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2007, 02:13 PM   #27
PernesePhoenix
Holder

Fan of: Jaxom
Now Reading: Materials & Methods

the only thing that doesnt sit well with me with those pictures is the stance of the dragonet, and the fact that the eyes are just black. Where is the facetedness with the whirling colors? Other than that I love them.
PernesePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2007, 04:09 PM   #28
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)

It's too bad the movie fell through the first time round. I like the considerations for actors (@Thais)... pretty well thought out, I believe. It would be quite the undertaking (and should be) if it comes to light!
@Maelin, I know exactly what you mean! And I can't help but talk about all these great subjects continually.
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19 2007, 10:17 AM   #29
Jayru

Location: A cozy house in the dales of Debyshire, in little old England
Fan of: The Pern Saga
Now Reading: No time to read, am writing!

It is a shame these are old, and not for the current project becasue I think they have captured Pern quite well. The picture of "Jaxom and Ruth" is amazing.

Without wishing to detract from Weston, Edwards and all the wonderful artists who have produced art for the covers of the books, I think this guy should be conracted to produce new covers for them (at the very least) - or better still asked to work on the movie!

(although in saying that, I really do love the new cover Les Edwards hs produced!)
Jayru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19 2007, 07:36 PM   #30
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

"J", I don't know how anyone couldn't just fall in love with Les's new cover...it is sooo beautiful...No matter whos dragon concepts you like best, this has got to be one of of the top ten favorites for a cover!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jun 19 2007, 09:50 PM   #31
Jayru

Location: A cozy house in the dales of Debyshire, in little old England
Fan of: The Pern Saga
Now Reading: No time to read, am writing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
"J", I don't know how anyone couldn't just fall in love with Les's new cover...it is sooo beautiful...No matter whos dragon concepts you like best, this has got to be one of of the top ten favorites for a cover!!!
I'm torn between pictures that look like Pern and the dragons we have come to know and love - and Les's wonderful vibrant artwork - which I take my hat off to, becasue he has done Pern fans proud with his latest. If that picture becomes avalible on his site, I will be ordering a print of it...
Jayru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22 2007, 05:24 PM   #32
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

"J" I hope that you get one...it would look lovely with the rest of your collection. I might try to find a bit of room myself for it....I am very fond of his work...going so far as to buy a U.K coy of the Atlas just to have a copy of that cover art.

Old Jun 27 2007, 10:58 AM   #33
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Now Reading: Grimm's Fairy Tales

I think these pictures are amazing - but everyone always has a different impression on how things should look... that is something i am still trying to accept
FlameCat is offline   Reply With Quote