A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Feb 21 2019, 06:19 PM   #4801
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series
Default Re: What is happening

You learn something every day... I'll need to keep that in mind for the emergency roadside improvisation knowledge toolkit for the future!

While it was a bit of a faff, I actually feel pretty good about today's efforts seeing the end result. Basically I wound up generally tidying up the area under the front service hatch as well as plumbing in the fuel pump.

The cardboard under the fuel tank strap is a temporary measure by the way, I've got some closed cell foam on the way which will be going in there - once it turns up. Yodel have managed to lose track of it somewhere...so goodness only knows when/if it will ever turn up.

The fuel pump is fastened in the old ignition coil bracket from the Lada. Once I packed around the pump with some rubber to keep it quiet it was a perfect fit.

Getting the new fuel pipe onto the fuel tank stub was an absolute pain and must have taken me nearly an hour of swearing. Seriously, if it comes off again the tank is coming out...

Speaking of the tank...something which has become apparent today is that the fuel gauge sender is in the tank upside down. D'oh! Oh well, easy enough to sort next time the tank is nearly empty. On the plus side, the gauge works fine...it's just reversed.

Having spent several hours standing on my head of course I wanted to see if it had been worthwhile. So that meant going out for a spin round the block a few times. Still need to adjust the brakes further as there is still way too much free play, but the front is definitely doing more now and she is stopping in an absolutely straight line now.

While I did not have a huge amount of time, I was able to buzz around for twenty minutes or so. That was well within the point that she had been starting to spit and carry on before, and was still running fine today. Given I was trying to cause high fuel demand, it was very much a "crack the throttle open up to 30, brake for junction, off again etc..." This has done good things for the drive system it seems, as the gearbox feels very much smoother now, and between 0-30 it definitely feels like it's doing what I'd expect a CVT to.

Given I was being a bit more proactive in the "I want to make the car misbehave" department today it has really shown two things. First, she really is bloody quick off the mark...not even passable, properly nippy. Secondly...you really can throw her around the corners... I'm really staggered by the body control. It's hard to describe in words, but it really feels nimble. Reckon that a lot of their reputation must be down to lack of straight line stability due to lack of ballast rather than being actually tippy.

After a couple of tens of minutes running usually the fuel filter would be visibly empty (I know that doesn't actually mean much), with bubbles feeding through.

Not this time...

...I really need to get some clear fuel filters, these opaque ones are annoying as it's so hard to see how clean or not the element is.

Plenty of fuel visible and absolutely no bubbles...that being the important bit. I'll try to get out for a bit longer tomorrow afternoon.

Will make sure the camera comes out as well, and hopefully will rope my other half into getting a few photos or videos from outside - as I imagine given the duct tape exoskeleton she looks rather comical bouncing down the road at the moment...
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21 2019, 06:49 PM   #4802
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

With a new tank, lines, & all, you shouldn't need a new filter for a few years, unless your fuel is incredibly dirty.

Better question, did the tank makers use any sealer on the inside? I know you really don't want to hear it, but now would be the best time to drain, remove, and seal that nice tank. While you might not get water in the fuel, there's that nasty thing called condensation. Condensate changes to small droplets, to big drops that fall and pool in the bottom of the tank. next step, rust in the bottom of your brand new tank. Check with motorcycle shops.

Sorry I didn't remember sooner.... a lot sooner. Blame in on age.

Saw a T-shirt I want really bad. It says "My body is a temple. Ancient and crumbling. And probably cursed or haunted."
Old Feb 21 2019, 07:33 PM   #4803
Zelandeth

The filters are less than £1 each, so it's really no hassle to change them each service. As identified here it makes a nice sight glass to see if there's any air getting drawn in too, and they do seem to collect a fair amount of gunk over time. The jets in this carb are tiny, so it wouldn't take much to upset it.

The new tank is all aluminium, so shouldn't have any corrosion concerns, good call though. If I'm storing a car for long periods it's always with a brimmed tank and fuel stabiliser in to keep condensation to a minimum though. This tank is only just over four gallons anyway, so will be getting flushed through pretty regularly I reckon anyway (guessing I should probably be expecting a range somewhere round 150 miles). At least I have a working fuel gauge now...even *knowing* the tank was full and driving in circles less than a mile from home, that being dead last week was stressing me out...the brain is a strange thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
With a new tank, lines, & all, you shouldn't need a new filter for a few years, unless your fuel is incredibly dirty.

Better question, did the tank makers use any sealer on the inside? I know you really don't want to hear it, but now would be the best time to drain, remove, and seal that nice tank. While you might not get water in the fuel, there's that nasty thing called condensation. Condensate changes to small droplets, to big drops that fall and pool in the bottom of the tank. next step, rust in the bottom of your brand new tank. Check with motorcycle shops.

Sorry I didn't remember sooner.... a lot sooner. Blame in on age.

Saw a T-shirt I want really bad. It says "My body is a temple. Ancient and crumbling. And probably cursed or haunted."
Old Feb 21 2019, 11:21 PM   #4804
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post
The filters are less than £1 each, so it's really no hassle to change them each service. As identified here it makes a nice sight glass to see if there's any air getting drawn in too, and they do seem to collect a fair amount of gunk over time. The jets in this carb are tiny, so it wouldn't take much to upset it.

The new tank is all aluminium, so shouldn't have any corrosion concerns, good call though. If I'm storing a car for long periods it's always with a brimmed tank and fuel stabiliser in to keep condensation to a minimum though. This tank is only just over four gallons anyway, so will be getting flushed through pretty regularly I reckon anyway (guessing I should probably be expecting a range somewhere round 150 miles). At least I have a working fuel gauge now...even *knowing* the tank was full and driving in circles less than a mile from home, that being dead last week was stressing me out...the brain is a strange thing.
Well, that's good news. When you were quoting capacity, did you mean Imperial gallons? That's bigger than US gallons. A big bike tank here on a Harley is 5-6 gallons. Not sure about a Honda Interstate, but I'm assuming bigger. Don't know, don't care. Never owned a Honda, never will. Owned Yamaha & Kawasaki, though & none of them ever had anything near a 5 gallon tank. Talking about tiny jets, my Kaw was know as an H-1. 500cc, 3 cylinder, 2 stroke. Blindingly fast for 1970. But do the math; 500 split 3 ways a bit more than 177 ccs per. Jets were downright miniscule
Old Feb 22 2019, 08:47 PM   #4805
Zelandeth

The original tank was 4.5 imperial gallons, the replacement is probably fractionally smaller just because the radius on the curves is slightly different, but in the real world it won't make a huge difference.

The engine in this is 493cc and a flat twin. Looking at the engine in cross section the heads and such are surprisingly well thought out with regards to gas flow for the period. Biggest restriction in breathing is the teeny tiny carb. The 650cc version of this engine came with a larger carb, and apparently that (jetted appropriately) can make quite a big difference in terms of breathing at the top end. Not sure I'll be needing to worry too much about that though as she seems to have decent get up and go.

End of play today we had this on the odometer...

That's another five miles covered for those playing along at home. Would probably have been more actually as mechanically things were going just fine - however the indicator stalk decided to part company with the handlebars.

One of the screws landed in my lap, the other however ended up on the floor and was long gone by the time I got home, probably escaping via the gaping chasm at the bottom of the doors. So had to go digging in the drawer of random fasteners to find a replacement and put it back together...

...This time sticking a load of threadlock on the screws. If it comes off again I'm resorting to the epoxy.

I'm kind of amused that the first thing to actually fall off is something that had nothing to do with my improvisation, but is a Lucas parts bin item fastened to the car as the designer intended!

I'd hoped to give the brake adjustment another poke today again but ran out of time. Things are definitely settling in in that department now as she rolls so much easier than this time last week, so expecting to need to fiddle around with that for a while until the shoes are all fully bedded in.

I think all being well tomorrow might be the first time we actually go *to* somewhere all being well. Probably Halfords...about 3/4 of a mile away. Does involve a bit of 60mph road though, let's see if 50mph happens again.

I've got some more foamed PVC board on the way (once Yodel find it or actually admit they've lost it so a replacement order can be shipped) which will help me rebuild the rear valance in a slightly less dodgy looking way.

Here's a bit of a general overview of how she's looking now.

Amusingly, I got back from the last run out just as our local police foot patrol wandered round the corner. Gave me a good opportunity to deal with my first "What even *is* it?" question, and see if they had any issue with the current state. They both said they couldn't see anything which would have had them calling in the traffic guys. Lights all working, nothing hanging off, no pointy bits of bodywork and the brand new tyres are obviously a sign it's being looked after, and "There's a lot more dodgy handiwork in the Halfords car park!" That makes me feel a bit more comfortable doing my road testing.

Hoping to get a proper walkround and intro video put together shortly, especially as I should be able to get to somewhere that's not right in front of my front door so can actually not have to keep things unlisted on YouTube.
Old Feb 22 2019, 10:33 PM   #4806
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I am listening to a reading of Eye of Aragon.
If you have never heard of it.... It is a BAD story. People take turns reading it. You have to read it as written. Words that are missed spelled you pronounce it as written. You have to read every word, no adding words. If, WHEN, you mess up or laugh you pass it to a new reader.

We have gotten to the point that people are mispronouncing word that are spelled correctly.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22 2019, 10:38 PM   #4807
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

https://books.google.com/books?id=Ac...kp_read_button

Old Feb 22 2019, 10:44 PM   #4808
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

https://ansible.uk/misc/eyeargon.html

Old Feb 23 2019, 06:12 PM   #4809
Zelandeth

My initial plan for today was basically to go drive around in the Invacar for a bit and see if anything else fell off after finishing reassembling the indicator stalk.

That bit was done in short order.

While I was doing that I rerouted the throttle cable a bit so that it was less in the way of the indicators. That proved to be a bit of a problem before, especially once the stalk got slightly loose and started wobbling around.

I made an executive decision though and forced myself to do some actually useful work with regards to doing a bit more of a permenant repair to the largely missing bits of body.

Off with multiple layers of duct tape and a large chunk of the metal frame which I deemed to be overkill.

Interesting that it looks like the nearside of the exhaust has been running cooler, I'll make a point at doing an actual measurement of the cylinder head temperatures after a run to see if there's an obvious disparity between the two.

I've just left the one band along the lower edge to help the resulting panel retain a decent degree of rigidity. The original panel would have had a lip moulded into it to help with that, but that's kinda hard to do by hand...so a bit of metal strapped to the back will do.

I then got the foam core board out and set about fabricating a new rear bumper. I love this stuff...It's got way more strength to it than cardboard, doesn't go soggy if it gets wet, but you can easily cut it with a sharp knife and bend it by hand.

Of course I ran out of daylight halfway through this, but this was the end result of the construction of the base framework. Trying to get photos of a semi-matt black surface with little ambient light was a bit tricky, but hopefully you can see that there is something like the shape of an actual lip below the engine cover and a bumper here now.

While I was rapidly running out of time by this point I was determined to get at least some fibreglass laid down over this. I only had a couple of small bits left from the current pack of matting anyway, so figured I'd just use that and then call it a day. This is where we left things.

Don't worry about the bits dangling down under it, that will get a nice clean edge cut in due course. I've realised quite a few errors in my workflow working with the fibreglass here, and that one of the key things to make your life easier (especially when working on vertical surfaces like this) is to work with small pieces of mat at a time, or you end up with finely atomised bits of glass fibre stuck to everything except the surface you're trying to stick it to.

Once I've got a few layers on here though, a skim of filler and some paint on it I reckon we should be able to get a result which should be good enough. I'm not worried about a perfect factory finish here, "presentable from ten paces" will do just fine. A slightly junior level looking bit of fibreglass fabrication is less likely to get me pulled over by a grumpy traffic cop I reckon than having half of the rear of the car made of duct tape.

The only other thing I immediately need to get the fibreglass on will be the mounting points for the front cover hinges, as the cable ties can't stay there long term...
Old Feb 23 2019, 08:04 PM   #4810
Allen

"Presentable from 10 paces". That's what we used to call a 50/50 restoration; 50 miles an hour and 50 feet away, it looks great! Just so the final paint job doesn't look like a 3B paint job. 3B? That's Boy, Bucket, & Broom! LOL

Hint for working with your glass mat: Overlap your seams on those small pieces, and vary the sizes from 1 layer to the next, so as to not have seams line up one layer to the next. You will be able smooth out the rough areas with resin during the sand and fill resin topcoats later. Smoother you lay it, easier that is, of course. Remember, the itch is in the fiber, not the resin.

That being said, there are plastic fillers here that contain fiber strands. Supposed to be stronger than plain Bondo, and all that. Downside, itchy when sanded, particularly with power tools. Another reason for those disposable painter's paper suits , plastic gloves, disposable filter masks, and full face shield, not just protective glasses or goggles. I may be telling you stuff you already know, but I've there years, hell decades ago, before the modern protective gear was available.
Old Feb 24 2019, 06:00 PM   #4811
Zelandeth

Let's have a quick recap...

Here's how TP was looking from the rear when she arrived in my driveway (more or less)...

Fast forward to a week or two back...

Bringing us up to date, here's how things were looking as of close of play today.

Now this isn't exactly a work of art, but I think I'm within my rights to declare this to be a big improvement.

Obviously there's a load of filler and sanding to be done yet. The very quick blast of paint over the surface was purely to allow me to see properly how close or not I'd got to the contours I was aiming for. It was quite hard to tell in bare fibreglass.

I forgot to take a photo of it, but I've also filled the holes in the front panel. My solution to this was to stick a duct tape patch loosely to the underside of the panel, creating a pocket into which I could pour some resin - filling up the pocket, and then used some glass fibre tissue to patch the outside. This won't be as strong as it would have been using actual matting, but it's not subject to any real load so should be fine. I reckon the only reason the hinges have been ripped out here is that the lock had seized and someone decided they wanted into the hatch, so they used brute force.

I've also reattached the lower door seal on the nearside which will hopefully slightly reduce the draught level in the cabin.

Bodywork wise I think the next thing I'm going to do is a slightly better securing solution for the transmission access hatch, as it has vibrated itself completely loose again during the last trip. I don't like the little springy clips they've used there - they're fine for securing bits of trim, but something that big and heavy is less than ideal. I'm going to get a few bits of steel bar, rivet them in place over each hole through the panel, then drill and tap a hole through that - I can then use M5 machine screws to secure it - and bolts for the bottom ones which are awkward to get a screwdriver at becaues of the driver's seat being in the way. Will take a couple of hours to do, but should save me a lot of faff long term.

I think it's when you start thinking about that sort of detail that you realise that you've pretty much comitted yourself to a car being a keeper...
Old Feb 25 2019, 09:50 AM   #4812
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I think I caught "con crud" feel like crap. It is was worth it. The joys of going to cons.

Old Feb 25 2019, 03:30 PM   #4813
Zelandeth

Ah, con crud...One of the most troublesome conditions to ever trouble the civilised world! Managed to avoid it the last couple of years - but I think most people thought that I was responsible for some of its origins back at Scotiacon 2015 - I'd been struggling to get over the last of a cold I'd had weeks before, and spent most of the convention trying not to cough my lungs up, and with literally no voice. I realised I'd missed a trick by about the Sunday afternoon by failing to bring a small white board with me...

I had been hoping to actually get out in the Invacar today, but by the time I'd got enough of the day to day jobs out of the way it became obvious that wasn't happening - well, unless I wanted to be out doing test runs at rush hour in the middle of a busy city - which just sounds like a recipe for disaster. Hopefully tomorrow...

With the car mostly fundamentally working now my attention is starting to shift to the list of far more minor bits and pieces which have been patiently waiting for some attention while I dragged the car back into the land of the living.

A couple of these items had just been waiting for me to make a quick run out to grab an assorted box of circlips to replace two which had vanished in the past.

Number one went on this end of the gear selector rod to stop it from falling out of the bracket.

There's also been another attached just behind that bracket to prevent the whole lot from being able to wobble from side to side - important as the handle is really quite close to the seat frame and I don't want to have it touching the frame and causing yet another rattle or buzz in the cabin.

I'll take it out at some point and bend the handle away from the seat very slightly, but that's very much on the "it would be nice to do some day" list rather than anything which needs immediate attention.

The second missing circlip has been added to the seat belt buckle to stop the bar in the middle of it from being able to fall out.

This was never a problem when the belt was actually in use as the tension on everything held it in place - At least I don't need to remember which way to hold it when taking it off now though.

Only other task which has been done was to reattach the front cover. This had previously been held on with cable ties through the bolt holes, but is now properly attached.

Not really much to be said about that! It is nice to have it done though, as I think having eliminated the cable ties - much like the rear valance - helps make the car look more like a car that's actively being restored rather than a wreck beyond all hope.
Old Feb 26 2019, 10:44 AM   #4814
Allen

I'm still not able to access the NKT, either through Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome. I First had the problem at the end of January, remember? Simon replied, got to work on it and thought he had the problem fixed. We had been in contact via private messages here, but the last 2 or 3 attempts to get him have gone unanswered. Does anybody else happen to know what's going on? Are we finally seeing the demise of the Kitchen Table, or is Simon having some RL problems?

I found out that I can access it on my Android phone. Doesn't look like anyone else can. There has been no activity since I posted on January 30 that I can find. I know several of us here were still on there too, so I'm wondering what's going on.
Old Feb 26 2019, 05:38 PM   #4815
Zelandeth

Continuing with the general theme of ticking one little task at a time off, I attacked the door runners and latches with grease.

Main hope there had been that it might help the offside door slide properly as it has a tendency to stick on the runners. Sadly it still does, though not quite as badly.

While I was there I securely reattached the door seals at the bottom of that door.

Though I always feel that I should use quotation marks around "seal" when referring to those around the doors of an Invacar given the degree of daylight that you can see around them. Reminds me of a Series Land Rover...

I reckon that if I find myself using the car I may well look to install a slightly wider seal as these are pretty useless.

The heater during the first couple of runs out (despite my efforts to clean it out) had thrown finely atomised rust all over the cabin, so it was time to hit it with the vacuum cleaner again.

Much better. I suspect this will be a regular task for a while.

Enough of this faffing around though...a car is meant to be driven, and I'd been trying to kick myself into taking a brave pill and actually taking TP out of our neighborhood and going somewhere...

It's funny...I really don't remember the parking spaces in Sainsbury's being so huge...

Then on the way home, our GP surgery.

Back home, another five miles covered.

Oh, and some groceries retrieved...wonder how many years it is since she last actually did useful work...

Glad to report that she didn't miss a beat. Only gripes were the rear service hatch coming loose (again - hence my plans to improve the securing arrangements), and that there really is far too much free travel in the brakes. Think for the sake of £50 odd I'm just going to pick up a new master cylinder. This one came with my original Invacar and was "NOS" - but looked to have spent quite a bit of time stored in poor conditions, and has never felt quite right, and as such I don't think I'm ever going to fully trust it. Not as though I'm driving around with no brakes mind, she's more than capable of locking all three wheels up, and the handbrake is also more than capable of stopping the car quite rapidly. I'm just not keen on the size of the dead zone before braking starts to happen.
Old Feb 26 2019, 05:38 PM   #4816
Zelandeth

Continuing with the general theme of ticking one little task at a time off, I attacked the door runners and latches with grease.

Main hope there had been that it might help the offside door slide properly as it has a tendency to stick on the runners. Sadly it still does, though not quite as badly.

While I was there I securely reattached the door seals at the bottom of that door.

Though I always feel that I should use quotation marks around "seal" when referring to those around the doors of an Invacar given the degree of daylight that you can see around them. Reminds me of a Series Land Rover...

I reckon that if I find myself using the car I may well look to install a slightly wider seal as these are pretty useless.

The heater during the first couple of runs out (despite my efforts to clean it out) had thrown finely atomised rust all over the cabin, so it was time to hit it with the vacuum cleaner again.

Much better. I suspect this will be a regular task for a while.

Enough of this faffing around though...a car is meant to be driven, and I'd been trying to kick myself into taking a brave pill and actually taking TP out of our neighborhood and going somewhere...

It's funny...I really don't remember the parking spaces in Sainsbury's being so huge...

Then on the way home, our GP surgery.

Back home, another five miles covered.

Oh, and some groceries retrieved...wonder how many years it is since she last actually did useful work...

Glad to report that she didn't miss a beat. Only gripes were the rear service hatch coming loose (again - hence my plans to improve the securing arrangements), and that there really is far too much free travel in the brakes. Think for the sake of £50 odd I'm just going to pick up a new master cylinder. This one came with my original Invacar and was "NOS" - but looked to have spent quite a bit of time stored in poor conditions, and has never felt quite right, and as such I don't think I'm ever going to fully trust it. Not as though I'm driving around with no brakes mind, she's more than capable of locking all three wheels up, and the handbrake is also more than capable of stopping the car quite rapidly. I'm just not keen on the size of the dead zone before braking starts to happen.
Old Feb 26 2019, 09:20 PM   #4817
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Kibby is amused that the one complaining about having con crud are the ones that did not go party room hopping. She thinks that all the alcohol kills the crud germs.

Old Feb 26 2019, 11:11 PM   #4818
Allen

Kibby drinks? I now have another item to put on my "Color me surprised" list.
Old Feb 27 2019, 05:56 AM   #4819
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Quote:
I'm still not able to access the NKT, either through Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome. I First had the problem at the end of January, remember? Simon replied, got to work on it and thought he had the problem fixed. We had been in contact via private messages here, but the last 2 or 3 attempts to get him have gone unanswered. Does anybody else happen to know what's going on? Are we finally seeing the demise of the Kitchen Table, or is Simon having some RL problems?

I found out that I can access it on my Android phone. Doesn't look like anyone else can. There has been no activity since I posted on January 30 that I can find. I know several of us here were still on there too, so I'm wondering what's going on.
I can't get in either, and I don't have an Android phone to try that method.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27 2019, 09:31 AM   #4820
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Regarding NKT: I keep getting a "Site not secure" warning.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27 2019, 10:22 AM   #4821
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Regarding NKT: I keep getting a "Site not secure" warning.
Exactly. Edge will not allow you to continue to the site. Chrome sometimes will. My Android phone gets me right there. But near as I could tell there has been no traffic since January 30 when I posted there as Kosh.

I hope everything is all right, especially that Simon is in good health.
Old Feb 27 2019, 04:30 PM   #4822
Zelandeth

Annoyingly no photos to show for it as I forgot to take my phone with me, but she's been out to the pharmacy again and stopped at Aldi on the way back (to grab a hole saw to allow me to refit the number plate light) without any issues.

When I got back, before putting her back in the garage I hooked TP up to the exhaust gas tester. Before the actual test drives started, she was pegging the thing off scale high at idle for the CO % reading.

Today?

Pretty good indication right there of just how much better an engine can run after doing a bit of actual work.

If all goes to plan tomorrow I will be able to get her out for a bit again, and I think the plan will be for a few high speed runs to confirm that nothing will fall off. If all goes well there, I think I can start considering actually making runs out to a few places around town beyond my local supermarket.

Looking forward to having a few tens of miles covered as that will do a lot for my confidence I'm sure. I would just go out and drive if it wasn't for MK being such an aggressively unfriendly place to break down at the side of the road due to there being so few places to pull over on any distributor roads.
Old Feb 27 2019, 08:52 PM   #4823
SpaceCowboy
Curlycorn

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"

I got in directly with AOL. Yes I still use it that is where all of my book marks are. I posted a test post that went right on the main forum so I don't know what is wrong and while I am a moderator over there I don't have access to the back end part of the board where you can check for problems.

Quote:
Exactly. Edge will not allow you to continue to the site. Chrome sometimes will. My Android phone gets me right there. But near as I could tell there has been no traffic since January 30 when I posted there as Kosh.

I hope everything is all right, especially that Simon is in good health.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28 2019, 10:08 AM   #4824
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
I got in directly with AOL. Yes I still use it that is where all of my book marks are. I posted a test post that went right on the main forum so I don't know what is wrong and while I am a moderator over there I don't have access to the back end part of the board where you can check for problems.
I'm afraid Simon no longer cares. I've PMed him at least 3 times now without a response of any kind, so either that, or he has had some serious health issues. But since the board is on his system, there's nothing anyone else can do about it.

I give up.. I'll still check, but it looks like the NKT has finally ended.
Old Feb 28 2019, 06:20 PM   #4825
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Quote:
Kibby drinks? I now have another item to put on my "Color me surprised" list.
She doesn't drink much. She loves jello shots, only has 2 or 3 at a time. Maybe 1 or 2 other drinks. Not enough to get stupid drunk. She also eats & drinks water. Mostly at cons.

Old Feb 28 2019, 06:55 PM   #4826
Dragon Fan

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy
Now Reading: Great Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post

This is what I get, but can not get in.

This site is not secure

This might mean that someone’s trying to fool you or steal any info you send to the server. You should close this site immediately.

Go to your Start page
Details
The website’s security certificate is not yet valid or has expired.
Error Code: DLG_FLAGS_SEC_CERT_DATE_INVALID
Go on to the webpage (Not recommended)

Was able to get in after clicking on the " Go on to the webpage" ( not recommended ) link

Last edited by Dragon Fan; Feb 28 2019 at 07:05 PM. Reason: update on this thread
Dragon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3 2019, 05:54 AM   #4827
vyon

I'm getting

The webpage at https://san-andreas.org.uk/phpBB3/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address

Without any options to send any kind of private message or alternative back door entry. I did click on the facebook logo and sent a message that way - will see if that gets a response.
Old Mar 3 2019, 06:34 AM   #4828
vyon

Yes, I did. "I think there is a security certificate problem, but I’m struggling to fix it. I am working on it."

That sounds like a bug that is difficult to find and even harder to fix.
Old Mar 4 2019, 07:26 AM   #4829
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Ransomware attack?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4 2019, 03:34 PM   #4830
Zelandeth

This afternoon I mostly invented several new expletives while referring to whoever designed the doors of an Invacar.

Given I had been improving the weather and soundproofing it seemed silly not to try to do something about the doors.

Namely the gaping hole underneath the window runner.

Exhibit A:

Having got the actual door seals into a state vaguely resembling useful was to be utterly pointless unless I were to do something about that - which is actually more important as water pours in through that gap whenever it rains.

Roughly two hours later, this is the same area as in the photo above.

For completeness, the front of the same door.

Originally the window rail was held onto the top of the door by (tiny) self tapping screws. Straight into the fibreglass. These screws, predictably, had next to no purchase - which allowed the rail to lift away from the door. This also allows the inner and outer door skins to move relative to each other.

My solution was to do away with the self tappers and replace them with M5 bolts. Simple enough - though INCREDIBLY awkward where actually threading the nuts onto the bolts was concerned. Hence the fact that the job wound up taking me a couple of hours of swearing to get completed.

The result though is a door which is now mostly weather proof and where the window frame is far more firmly attached to the base than it originally was, plus a door which now doesn't rattle half as much as it used to.

...On the plus side I now have the technique down so hopefully the offside won't take quite as long to sort out. Still no doubt will scrape my arm to bits and give myself as much of a glass fibre rash doing it.
Old Mar 8 2019, 01:11 AM   #4831
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I got the same security warning for NKT. Good to know Simon's working on it.

I hope everyone's doing well. Work's been really stressing me out lately, so I haven't really felt like sitting at the computer much on my own time. I have a vacation day today, though. Yay! :coffee:
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8 2019, 03:21 PM   #4832
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
I got the same security warning for NKT. Good to know Simon's working on it.

I hope everyone's doing well. Work's been really stressing me out lately, so I haven't really felt like sitting at the computer much on my own time. I have a vacation day today, though. Yay! :coffee:
I'm still getting that same warning too.

Hope you're doing well now. Remember, w**k is a four-letter profanity, especially now that I'm retired. Now I only have to do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Myself, I've been having rounds of various illnesses that I won't go into. But I'm supposed to go in for a kidney stone procedure next Wednesday. Been through the same thing about 6 years ago. Wasn't bad then, but the doc thinks this time won't be as easy. Probably be multiple procedures, if I'm lucky. If not, then it means actual surgery and a hospital stay in St. Louis. That means a 3 hour drive each way. Not good, not good at all. Wife can't drive that far, especially after dark, so I would be looking at a stay alone. Hospitals and I don't get along.
Old Mar 13 2019, 07:44 PM   #4833
Zelandeth

Those who have been following the trials and tribbilations of my camper van may recall that one major item I was missing was the sink in the bathroom. The previous previous keeper had totally stripped the bathroom out and the sink was gone. They had bought a tiny little wash basin that was far too small to actually be useful, but the installation of anywhere in the room would be utterly in the way if you were using the shower.

The original one was a folding unit, not that unusual an idea, but I had only been able to find one somewhat fuzzy photograph of it. Really didn't want to buy and install a new one (aside from not wanting to spend a couple of hundred quid on it!) as it would never look right in a van of this era. Equally I didn't just want to grab any old second hand sink and throw it in as the taps would obviously not match the ones on the kitchen sink and shower.

Fine idea wanting everything to match, but never having even seen a decent photograph of the original, much less seen one for sale I didn't really think I had much chance.

Hang on, look what I just got back from picking up...

Yep...an exact match for the original one which had been needlessly ripped out of the van.

Little bit of damage to the one corner, but nothing we don't really expect (these things are designed to be light so are pretty fragile - once a few screws have rusted up it's very common to damage stuff taking it out) and we should be able to patch it up easily enough.

Hopefully will get that installed tomorrow. Will be really nice to have that in place as it's been a huge gaping hole in the installed equipment for months now.
Old Mar 14 2019, 10:38 AM   #4834
Allen

Been wondering where you were, Z. I find I'd gotten used to hearing about your adventures in restorations every 2-3 days. Glad you found that sink. Looks really cool.

Last summer we were looking at an older (1980s) Dodge camper van conversion that I could get for $500. But it has set for 5 or more years without running and the interior was really beginning to go South. One of the two skylights had a hole, which until I said something about it, the owner had ignored. Since then they both have started disintegrating badly and he's not made any noticeable effort to cover them up.

The $500 was borderline as to what I would have paid in the first place, and now? Not to mention that now, even more than then, there's the question of where to get $500, just to make his pile o' crap my pile o' crap.

Sort of like, "If I had some ham I could have some ham and eggs, if I had some eggs."
Old Mar 14 2019, 06:30 PM   #4835
Zelandeth

You made the right move to walk away.

Once you've got water ingress issues it's time to run. What you can see will be about ten percent of it. You'll find that water has been getting in for a long while before it's visible and it will have caused rot in the frame and such - once you're chasing that, it's a long expensive - and take it from someone who has played the same game on buses and coaches - utterly maddening - road to getting a usable vehicle.

The fact the interior of this had been partly dismantled was in my favour as it meant I could see into the walls so was able to see exactly where the water had got into mine over the years - only two spots and no rot had taken hold. This is why I took the opportunity to renew the sealant around the bathroom skylight when I had the chance. Far easier to spend ten minutes doing that than to discover it has been leaking for months and has rotted half the roof out!

Have missed a couple of automotive updates here I think, but the basic gist is that the Invacar is up and running and has been buzzing around on a couple of local runs. End of last week we had a fuelling issue crop up, which I'm pretty certain is just gunk clogging a jet in the carb. They're tiny, so very proud to clogging. I've just blown them out before, but have never actually taken the thing properly apart and cleaned it. I reckon there are bits of varnish flaking off the sides of the float bowl and causing mischief - so hoping to get the carb off and to give it a thorough clean this weekend. Fair enough to be honest, I should have done this when I first got it really!

Having done a few miles in it now I'm surprised by a few things, and am definitely busting a few preconceptions.

[] Off the mark it is incredibly spritely. Up to 30mph it's actually quick by any standards - around town this thing could be a real weapon.

[] Handling is...quite astonishing really. The reputation for these is that they will fall over if you breathe on them. I call hogwash. I suspected looking at the design that the centre of gravity would be really low down. Turns out that I seem to be right. It's really chuckable to be honest and - unlike a Reliant Robin - you're really not aware of the missing wheel up front. Doesn't even lean that badly in the corners.

I'm really looking forward to getting the few gremlins properly banished and some more confidence in the car and then getting some real miles covered.

Sadly I need to get most of the shakedown done very locally simply because the city I live in is aggressively unfriendly to break down in if you're on any of the distributor roads.

We're getting there bit by bit.
Old Mar 15 2019, 07:28 PM   #4836
Zelandeth

Today has been one of those really annoying days which you always hit at some point in any decorating project where you wind up spending several hours taking stuff apart so you can get something else done. Made fifty times harder because the bathroom is just awkward to work in because it's so cramped.

Wanted to get the lower half of the tiling in the room finished and the sink properly installed.

Step one: make sure it actually fits and mark things up so I could see where to tile to (no point in doing the whole space under it) and where to drill holes for the pipework. This sink originally had the pipes coming out the bottom though I saw no reason for them to be visible as the sink was to be fitted against an interior wall up against the service cupboard. I suspect it was up against an exterior wall before.

Didn't take me long to realise that the pipework was too bulky to be bent around in the direction I needed and for the sink to lay flat against the wall. No problem, I've got some elbow connectors which will solve that. Cue 30 minutes of digging through boxes to find them. Eventually though they did turn up.

I then discovered that the hose clips on there were utterly seized. This took a further half hour or so of (very careful) argument to resolve. Once that was done the hoses still refused to be separated from the hose connector stub and I wound up having to (again, very carefully) slit them both with a knife before removing them. Attaching a nice new hose which actually bends and the elbow significantly reduced the room needed so the sink would actually sit flush with the wall.

Still need to actually connect everything back up behind the wall but that's easy stuff I can do later. Flexible pipework likes to look a royal mess which I dislike...I will need to instill order in this mess before I declare it done!

I initially thought I could just remove the two bottom screws holding the cabinet to the wall to slip the tiling under that edge - right up to the point that I discovered that there's actually a wooden frame under the cabinet which is essentially part of the wall. Cue careful measuring and cutting of tiles.

The tap for the shower also needed to come off the wall to let me tile under it - the hoses to this were about as interested in shifting as the ones on the sink were. At least they weren't attached to a fragile hunk of brittle plastic which made things a bit easier to sort.

This is where we finished for the day.

I still find the whole sink without a conventional plug thing an interesting concept. It's an elegant engineering solution to allow for the basin needing to fold up, no flexible piping necessary.

Apparently it's not that unusual an arrangement for caravans etc, just not something I've come across before.

This wall is essentially done. Just needs some sealant along the edges and the lower edge tidied up. Need an additional pack of tiles though, need a few more than my total guess, not by much though. I've a few small offcuts which will do for the sliver of wall visible to the left of the cupboard.

Yes they are a bit heavy, but the small number involved because of the tiny size of the room means it should be fine.

Hoping that as the rest is just sticking tiles on the wall and a bit of trimming that the next bit will go quicker...

Also reckon I must have wasted an hour going back and forth to the garage for tools! Will just take everything next time!
Old Mar 16 2019, 08:55 PM   #4837
Zelandeth

First task of the day was to get the plumbing for the sink and shower sorted out as I had taken it all apart yesterday.

Much better. This lot used to be hidden behind a plywood box...not sure I will bother putting that back as it eats quite a chunk of space in the back of the wardrobe. Reckon I will add some clips to hold the pipes against the back wall and call it good, the box just seems unnecessary given this is all hidden at the back of the wardrobe anyway.

Drainage has been tested by dumping a five litre bottle of water down it, no leaks to report and it seems to drain at as close to a reasonable rate you can really hope for, though the design at least means you don't have to wait for the draining process to finish before stowing the basin.

Once that was done it was back to the tiling. Seems to be taking forever!

We are getting there though.

This is where this pattern will stop - there is a mosaic pattern to run from here up to the ceiling.

This would have taken significantly less time had I realised that the trim around the window just snaps in place - I realised that after I had already carefully made sure to measure it as close to millimetre perfect as I could on two sides...rather than just extending the tile a bit last the edge and snapping the trim back on...oh well now I know! Obviously there is one little infill strip I still need to put in there too, just waiting for an offcut the right shape to turn up.

Interior wall is also ready for the next pattern. This is really awkward to get a photo of.

I am *hoping* that I will be able to call the decorating nonsense done tomorrow as it is taking forever...though does kind of feel like it is actually moving in the right direction now.
Old Mar 17 2019, 03:24 PM   #4838
Zelandeth

Today it has *finally* started to feel like we're starting to get somewhere and this is starting to actually look like a room again.

Bit annoying that it's impossible to get things lined up perfectly with the rear wall courtesy of our friend Pythagoras, but it's good enough for a camper van! Won't be so obvious once the sealant along the edges is in place anyway.

If I had been smart I would have realised that was going to be an issue and would have made sure not to use a repeating pattern spanning the side and rear wall...though I reckon it still looks better than it would have in plain white (or with the original pink floral pattern!). Doesn't hopefully look too out of period for the vehicle either.
Old Mar 17 2019, 10:40 PM   #4839
Dragon Fan

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy
Now Reading: Great Expectations

now getting this when I try to log into MOM,

This site is not secure

This might mean that someone’s trying to fool you or steal any info you send to the server. You should close this site immediately.

Go to your Start page
Details
Your PC doesn’t trust this website’s security certificate.
Error Code: DLG_FLAGS_INVALID_CA
Go on to the webpage (Not recommended)
Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM   #4840
Zelandeth

Slightly delayed post on account of ImgBB being down yesterday evening.

Yesterday afternoon I had a bit of a push to get the bathroom work finished, and am glad to report that save for needing to refit the curtain rail and source a shower curtain, the bathroom is now done.

Oh...and find some brown screw caps as the white ones stick out way too much against the generally warm coloured decor.

Doesn't look too bad for an entirely home brew job though I reckon? Here's a couple of before and after pictures.

Just need to make a blanking plate to sit in the shower tray when it's not in use, re-fit the rail for the shower curtain and we should be done. Oh, and stick some water in the tank so I can confirm the taps don't leak before discovering that's an issue at the far end of the country.