A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 27 2008, 01:18 AM   #1
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Whats the color of the houses at landing?

I need Help again...

In Dragondawn they mention building the houses in rows and rows, and it's out of their homemade type fiber plastic...but what color do you see the houses being...one color, many differnt colors....and the roofs...shingles, one solid piece of fiber plastic, slate rock slabs...WHAT???

I need your opinions....PLEASE!!!

Thank you ahead of time... for any and all help...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2008, 01:41 AM   #2
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint
Default Re: Whats the color of the houses at landing?

In my head, I've always imagined them to be gray, and looking pretty uniform in texture. I really don't have a detailed picture in my head, beyond that and the map of Landing in the Atlas of Pern.
Old Jun 27 2008, 04:04 AM   #3
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Probably grey or white to start with, but I imagine they painted them eventually. Or, it might be quite simple to extrude the plastic with a bit of dye in. Flat roofs would be a single piece, but if I had my way they'd be sloping and facing north to catch the sun, and each would have a couple of solar panels for power generation and water heating. What wasn't covered in panels would be plas-tiles.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2008, 04:11 AM   #4
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Yes they did for heating. Like a qucent (sp) hut The window by the time of The White Dragon, RoP-Renegades of Pern, they had gone cloudy with age, and what was on top of them I think. Dolphins of Pern So was the boxes that the dolphins gave to Readis and the Packaging was color code| Bar Code in Chronicles of Pern: The Dolphin's Bell, also some found in storage in Dragonseye/Red Star Rising, fishing line.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by GinnyStar; Nov 29 2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Typo +
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2008, 05:50 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Smart thinking by Kath. Even if Anne didn't write about them they should have solar panels, yes. Then again, the windows would also be solar panels..

In a hot environment as Southern they'd surely prefer the lighter colours as to not attract the heat too much?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

I always pictured them as this:

But seriously....

I've always thought of them as dome homes. and it can be done...

Besides - you want it to look Earth-y but ever so slightly alien, so a dome home would be perfect.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2008, 09:11 AM   #7
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Smart thinking by Kath. Even if Anne didn't write about them they should have solar panels, yes. Then again, the windows would also be solar panels..
Not ideal! Tricky to see through, and you want the right slope to match the latitude... vertical panels would only really be right for a rotating house at the north pole!

Quote:
In a hot environment as Southern they'd surely prefer the lighter colours as to not attract the heat too much?
Another piece of smart thinking by Hans.
Old Jun 27 2008, 09:39 AM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I agree with Kath, except I'd see them as beige/ecru.

You'd think it would be easy to put dye in to get colored plastics, but if so I'd expect them to make the houses a multitude of colors, and if they were a multitude of colors it'd seem like the characters ought to have remarked upon how colorful the Landing colony was. Which is why I'm guessing boring colors.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2008, 10:04 AM   #9
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I get the impression from Anne's descriptions that Landing's pretty utilitarian.

Domes are usefully selfsupporting so no roof structure needed.

Rooflights (tinted for UV protection?) = no curtains needed.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2008, 10:21 AM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Not ideal! Tricky to see through, and you want the right slope to match the latitude... vertical panels would only really be right for a rotating house at the north pole!
Not any more. Totally clear, solar panel film has been introduced just a short while ago. OK, the max size currently is 15 x 15 cm but we're talking Science Fiction

Nice thing is you can also manipulate the cells to go dark, so you don't need shades or curtains anymore

And who said a window always need to be upright?

LOL Shalyn, big pic!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jun 27 2008, 10:31 AM   #11
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Not any more. Totally clear, solar panel film has been introduced just a short while ago. OK, the max size currently is 15 x 15 cm but we're talking Science Fiction
I'll concede the point.
Old Jun 27 2008, 12:28 PM   #12
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

WOW this was fantastic to read...and very helpfull as well.
I was going along with Cheryl's idea originally....that the houses would be kind of boring and uniform of color...it does mention that the houses were amber colored when they dug them up in *WD*...but that might have been caused by the heat...so a beige or tan color seemed more the original color to me.

WOW Hans...Solar panels...never thought of it...but sounds totally plausible and probable as well.

Peter...I seemed to remember something being mentioned about several of the colonist decorated their houses with colorfull curtians, pillows and rugs... to make them more homey...and well as perhaps being each to recognize home.

Perhaps they would have at least painted the doors, but like Cheryl said you would have thought if that was the case Anne would have mentioned it.

Shalyn...Love the Victorian House...but I'm not sure I would agree with the dome...not in this case at least...to difficult to put up in the super fast manner that they erected Landing.

Once again thank you for all your assistance, this really helps alot...and I really enjoy the great Pern gab sessions.

HOUSE COLOR DISCUSSION FINISHED
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jun 27 2008, 02:47 PM   #13
Sandi

I don't know much about constrution but I always thought they were all domes, uniformly designed in a sort of snap-together kit type of thing that would be relatively easy for most people. Because of the amber color mentioned, I always thought they might have been white with solar panels on the upper portions. We also know they tended to be fond of bright colors but those may have been reserved for indoor items like the molded plastic chairs.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2008, 06:22 PM   #14
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

There's really no need to go for domes when you've got an atmosphere, and they're harder to furnish easily and don't pack so well.

There's a nice description of the prefab control/meteorology tower: two square sections supported by a wider and longer rectangular base. The use of the term 'section' makes me think that the prefab units they brought with them are square/rectangular anyway.

But, the colonists' houses and most other structures will be built out of extruded plastics. That limits individual panels to a certain size - however big their extruder is - and suggests a frame+panel construction to me. Curved shapes would be a lot more awkward to produce.

Beds and other simple furnishings were brought down on the shuttles, and families given immediate house assignments - so they must have been able to put them up pretty quickly. I dread to think of the state of the plumbing... Aha! Sorka's house has an interior description: one medium sized bedroom, two small, a larger room for general purposes (which held a compact food preparation unit) and a sanitary unit. This is pretty dinky, and most likely single storey - I think they'd have mentioned if the Pernese had gone for the European system of multi-apartment residences. Oh, and most named locations are '---- Square', which kind of suggests a basic repeated street-plan. Later on, their house is described as decorated with bright curtains (suggestive of vertical windows, Hans!), cushions, pots of flowering plants and etchings on the walls.

Oh - power was provided by a hydroelectric system pretty early on, and the power carried by pylons, so maybe they didn't need solar panels as well.

Later on, when they capture some Thread, it's held in a container made of double-thick slabs of transparent silicon-based building plastic. I doubt they built the houses out of the transparent variety, but slabs seem to be the way forward.
Old Jun 27 2008, 08:03 PM   #15
Sandi

I think you're right, Kath. Rectangular or even square would be a lot easier and quicker to assemble. I guess my "dome theory" was mostly based on the discovery of the "mounds" but mounds can form over shapes that are not round as well as things that are.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2008, 11:58 PM   #16
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I think you're right, Kath. Rectangular or even square would be a lot easier and quicker to assemble. I guess my "dome theory" was mostly based on the discovery of the "mounds" but mounds can form over shapes that are not round as well as things that are.
Just think of the shape of the Space Shuttles in Ship Medows that Jaxom found, In the TWD. There are other sites to like Paradise River, which had a store stuff and around which the people needed after the dolphins drop them off.

Also the suplies found in the Catherine Caves too.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jun 28 2008, 12:32 AM   #17
Eriflor

Thanks for the Welcome Back!

I think the houses at Landing would be very utilitarian, mainly because they needed enough to house 5500 people right after landing, but also because most of the people would be leaving as soon as they could set up their own stakeholds.

They wouldn't want to waste time and resources on homes that were going to be cannibalized after a year or two. The outside would be whatever colour plastic is by nature --- opaque for walls, transparent (or translucent) for windows. They'd adorn the interiors with whatever they could make or find, but they'd take these items with them when they moved to their permanent homes.

As an alternative, they might add a bit of dye to distinguish between the various streets, so people could find their way home more easily through the grid-pattern streets. Doors might be painted individually for the same reason. The roofs made of local fibres might be blue-green, which is the commonest colour of the Pernese vegetation.

The various offices and labs and the warehouse might be differently shaped or coloured, so as to stand out, and would be more solidly built.

Eriflor.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28 2008, 01:24 AM   #18
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I was thinking in brown colours like what one sees in sepia coloured photographs.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28 2008, 04:07 AM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

Uh, Jube... isn't everything in a sepia phtograph brown coloured?

Old Jun 28 2008, 05:40 AM   #20
Pernaficionado
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonsong
Now Reading: brainships

Quote:
The roofs made of local fibres might be blue-green, which is the commonest colour of the Pernese vegetation.
If this is still for Sorka's Portrait, then from an artistic point of view, it might do much to highlight the character line, especially in her face, since she is a red head and Lady Maelin went with blue/green/hazel for her eye color. I am most certainly not telling our Master Artist what to do with her picture, especially as I am really terrible with line and form. I am however, very good with color, and color balancing.
It is really just an Idea I could picture in my head, and thought I would share.
I was thinking it would look very good if it the roofs had a bit of that tinge, with solarpanels, which were descibed as amber colored. all of this in the background, with Sorka in the fore? Georgous red hair really sparking off the blue green colorflashes behind her and high lighting her eyes? a huge amount of "presence" would be felt, i think.
EVERYBODY PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMPLETELY IGNORE OR DISAGREE WITH THIS POST!!
It's just that sometimes I get ideas, and if I don't share or use them, they plague me.
So please do not get upset or feel like I am criticizing or second guessing Lady Maelin's work. That is certainly not my intention, and I am aware that no matter about my ideas, I simply could not match her talent.
Pernaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28 2008, 12:43 PM   #21
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Pernaficionado...thanks for all the input...Some of your ideas, though as nice as they are, were already discussed in the other thread about Sorka's coloring.

P.S. I don't take offense with ideas...and nothing you said sounded critical to me or my work. I think you will find that MoMers in general, greatly enjoy sharing their ideas about any and all of Anne's stories.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUGESTIONS and HELP !!!

Old Jun 28 2008, 05:02 PM   #22
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
The walls of the houses may be square/rectangular, but the roofs would have to be sloped. 2000 years of all that ash, rain, and dirt would cause almost all of them to collapse if they were not sloped.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29 2008, 12:48 AM   #23
Brenda

The roofs were made of plastic. All but a few were silicon-based plastic; the carbon-based plastic was vulnerable to Thread.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29 2008, 02:42 AM   #24
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Brenda...we all seem to know that they were made out of plastics already...the questions is what color do you think they were???

Old Jun 29 2008, 06:31 AM   #25
Pernaficionado
Inactive

i still think silicon based plastic would be bluish. atleast my dad's silicone sealant was blue, and glass viewed thru its cut edge is blue green.
Old Jun 29 2008, 06:36 AM   #26
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernaficionado View Post
i still think silicon based plastic would be bluish. atleast my dad's silicone sealant was blue, and glass viewed thru its cut edge is blue green.
We have white, brown and translucent silicone sealant at home - it comes in all colours.

The glass colour you describe is a function of refraction and reflection of light when it's viewed at a certain angle, and not really applicable to a slab of plastic viewed from a distance.
Old Jun 29 2008, 06:48 AM   #27
Pernaficionado
Inactive

oh well
I like blue:LOL:
Old Jun 29 2008, 11:18 AM   #28
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I always thought of them as being like portacabins.
Some colour variation, even if it's just by people painting their own homes, would not only be better aesthetically, but might make it harder to get lost .
It really depends on how long the houses have been there, surely there'd be things like different colours, new curtains or a patio that makes each house unique.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29 2008, 02:02 PM   #29
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith View Post
I always thought of them as being like portacabins.
Some colour variation, even if it's just by people painting their own homes, would not only be better aesthetically, but might make it harder to get lost .
It really depends on how long the houses have been there, surely there'd be things like different colours, new curtains or a patio that makes each house unique.
Pernese Trailer Parks, anyone?
Old Jun 29 2008, 04:14 PM   #30
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Dark Gray Coloring in the tin, for they would diging them up they could not tell the AVAS building from the rest after diging out of the ash. DE/RSR. Also they redisoved Landing in TWD They could see some diffent between a stone and the building plastic.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jun 29 2008, 04:27 PM   #31
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Doesn't prove much after 2000 years, Ginny.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29 2008, 05:49 PM   #32
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Kath...Pern trailer park...

Old Jun 29 2008, 05:50 PM   #33
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

If you missed this...I did already choose the color of the houses...but thank you for all your interesting suggestions.

Old Jun 29 2008, 08:22 PM   #34
Brenda

I emphasized the plastic because someone else had mentioned roofs made of local plant materials, which would have dramatically altered the outcome of that first Threadfall...
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote