A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Jan 30 2015, 05:47 AM   #3121
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: What is happening

Last night I went to a student production of Yeomen of the Guard. Great fun though I'd never imagined Jack Point played as Rik Mayall.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30 2015, 01:45 PM   #3122
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Dragonflight

Lucky you, Yeomen is my all time favourite G & S! Hope the singing was up to scratch in the big chorus numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Last night I went to a student production of Yeomen of the Guard. Great fun though I'd never imagined Jack Point played as Rik Mayall.
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30 2015, 05:40 PM   #3123
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

The choruses were fine. One or two of the arias could have done with the orchestra cut to one instrument per part. Twenty-five instruments were a bit much for a few of the soloists.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Feb 1 2015, 12:24 PM   #3124
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

You will think that with hundreds of t.v. channels there would be something worth watching on. Nope, nothing. I am watching the kitten bowl, because I don't get to watch kittens play.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1 2015, 12:50 PM   #3125
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

Too funny! We will have the Stupor Bowl on part of the time, it's an excuse to eat the chips and dip we don't normally have. I refuse to watch the commercials and the half time show never interests me. It's a football game. If people are watching they shouldn't have to have an extravaganza in the middle to keep them interested/awake!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1 2015, 06:03 PM   #3126
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I like some of the super bowl commercials, especially the Budweiser ones. I wish they would bring back the lizards and frogs.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Feb 3 2015, 02:17 PM   #3127
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Spent the afternoon singing at the funeral of Sir Jack Hayward who used to own Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club.

In WW2 he was an RAF pilot (Dakotas then gliders). An RAF Honour squad carried him into church but when they put him down onto the trestles, one of them broke. The RAF saved from hitting the floor but had to hold on at an awkward level while a pair of other supports were found.

C. S. Lewis

Old Feb 3 2015, 02:23 PM   #3128
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I'm glad things turned out all right!

They won't have that problem with me someday. Cremation and tossed to the wind over Long Island Sound. Have a party and share a few funny stories about silly things I said or did. Done!
Old Feb 3 2015, 08:56 PM   #3129
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

I hope everyone is have a good start to the week.

Thank you for your thoughts and zen hugs earlier.
Old Feb 4 2015, 04:53 PM   #3130
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

We found out a couple of weeks found out my sister's father in-law has cancer and does not have long. Hugh and Big Rusty, his wife at both great people. They have always treated Terri's kids exactly the same as they treat their grandchildren. He looked good just a couple of months ago ate Melissa's wedding. It is hard to believe that someone can go from happy and looking healthy to dying in such a short time.

Old Feb 4 2015, 05:04 PM   #3131
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I am so sorry, maw.
Old Feb 5 2015, 01:02 AM   #3132
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Hugs Mawra. That's how it was with my mom. My thoughts will be with you and your family.
Old Feb 5 2015, 05:00 PM   #3133
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
We found out a couple of weeks found out my sister's father in-law has cancer and does not have long. Hugh and Big Rusty, his wife at both great people. They have always treated Terri's kids exactly the same as they treat their grandchildren. He looked good just a couple of months ago ate Melissa's wedding. It is hard to believe that someone can go from happy and looking healthy to dying in such a short time.
zen hugs Mawra
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2015, 05:04 PM   #3134
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Post Re: What is happening

The old printer is getting recycled I have a new all in one, and so far it working OK, I shall have to keep you posted.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Feb 5 2015, 09:52 PM   #3135
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

The nursing home Hugh was sent to did not help matters. A few nights ago he had diarrhea and could not help going while his wife helped him. Once she got him on the toilet she called to the nurses and asked for some towels to clean it up. They could not be bothered. They left it to a 77 year old women to get down on her hands and knees to clean it up with paper towels. He was lucky she was staying in the room with him all night. That was late one night.

He had it again the next day. Again getting it on the floor and bed. He was taken to the hospital for caner treatment. His daughter call and asked for the room to be cleaned. When him and his wife returned to the room nothing had been done. Once again she had to get down on her hands and knees to clean it up. She had to change the sheets. She is 77 years old, she should not be down on hands and knees cleaning anything. The nursing homes are expensive, part of the fee is to clean up after patients and not to leave it up to a 77 year old to do it.

He is back in the hospital. When he leaves there he will be going home. The Dr. now are saying he days, not weeks. A couple of weeks ago they were saying 6 months.

Old Feb 6 2015, 12:20 AM   #3136
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

That is horrible, Mawra, my thoughts are with your family.
Old Feb 6 2015, 05:04 AM   #3137
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

We had a BBC documentry about similar happenings in UK. It led to the closure of at least one home and debates in Parliament.

C. S. Lewis

Old Feb 6 2015, 04:44 PM   #3138
Zelandeth
Firestone

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Really sorry to hear that, Mawra. Very much how it was with my mother, though luckily in her case other than our GP's reluctance to refer her to the hospital in the first place, the care in that case was first rate.

Have been pretty quiet lately as life has just generally been "busy" though nothing particularly of note has really been going on.

Tesla obviously has been keeping us busy, and was predictably rather excitable over the festive period, though no more than you'd expect for a six month old puppy. It's astonishing looking at the photos now how much he has grown. You don't notice so much when you see him every day!

Hard to believe we've gone from this in mid September:

(That's me being used as a pillow).

To this a week or so ago. Looking as though life really is just too much effort...

Which to be honest seems to be the default status when he's not causing mischief.

This in fact is a pretty good summary of his usual approach to the world in general.

He's actually a very happy bouncy dog, when he's not asleep anyway. Just he's harder to get on camera then as anything other than a blur because he's generally bouncing - or trying to eat the camera.

In more typical news from me, today I mostly:

1. Finally got around to replacing the dead transformer for one of the lights in the kitchen, so they all work now. Has only taken me since last April to get around to it.

2. Randomly found the rear view mirror I bought for the C5 about six months ago when I was looking for something else in one of the boxes of "stuff that was moved while decorating." So got around to fitting that.

Actually quite handy on that, as due to the position you sit in, it's actually a lot more awkward to look right back over your shoulder than you would think. Now it's just a matter of doing a normal blind spot check as you would in a car. Should far reduce the odds of me careering into the nearest street light, bollard, bin, park bench or parked car while I'm trying to look backwards.

Also found an old wired cycle computer in one of my boxes of random things. That's getting fitted tomorrow as the wireless one that I currently have on there is as much use as a chocolate teapot. It loses communication between the speed sensor and the unit itself more often than not, the batteries seem to last about three point seven nanoseconds, and the mode switch only works in nondescript weather. Slightly damp or too dry and it goes nuts. Hoping a slightly more low-tech solution will prove more practical!
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2015, 11:39 PM   #3139
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

It seems to be the case you find something you had been looking for when you are looking for some thing else.

So far this has not been a good year. A neighbor who has COPD is not doing well. He has been in and out the hospital and nursing home since Oct. He keeps getting a build up of fluid that the only nursing home in Lynchburg who will take COPD, does not seem to notice until it has built up enough to be see and cause major problems. I know Lynchburg has crappy nursing homes.
He also has a lot of problems with his legs from weight and refusing to eat like he should. That is what sent him to the hospital to begin with. He has several wound that will not heal. They were hoping to get able to stand up on his own so they could send him home. He is back in ICU because of fluid build up his heart stopped, this is the second time. No one really thinks he will ever come home again.

I also have an aunt that had open heart surgery Wed. She is in Henderson Ky. She made it through the surgery, we have not heard anything else since then. I really hope 2015 improves, SOON

Old Feb 7 2015, 02:29 PM   #3140
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Hugs, Mawra
Old Feb 8 2015, 11:17 AM   #3141
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

:hugs: Mawra! Your year hasn't started well...
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2015, 01:55 PM   #3142
Zelandeth
Firestone

Really hope that things pick up for you Mawra, really does sound like you've had a tough start to the year. Fingers crossed karma sends some good luck your way soon.

Today I met up with a friend to pick up some lighting gear intended to sort out a couple of black holes out the back of our house so that it's all usable in the evenings. Will be useful come the summer when we tend to have barbecue parties and such. As they were having a clear out, I ended up with "a bit more than originally intended."

...This is the back of the car before I unpacked.

On the plus side, everything in there is actually something I can and will use. Even if it does mean that there are now another couple of layers on the Tetris puzzle that is my garage.
Old Feb 8 2015, 02:28 PM   #3143
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Well, at least you're making light of the situation.

*Ducks*

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2015, 03:25 PM   #3144
Zelandeth
Firestone

Congrats...You just made me inhale my coffee.
Old Feb 8 2015, 04:40 PM   #3145
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

So long as you didn't "through cough"!

That's when you cough and fart at the same instant.

C. S. Lewis

Old Feb 9 2015, 01:02 AM   #3146
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

My aunt is better. She is up and walking. I wish we could go see her, but there is no way we can afford the trip.

Old Feb 9 2015, 09:36 AM   #3147
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

That's really good, maw. Happy to hear some positive news!

This is the third Monday in a row that schools are closed for snow. Next Monday they will be closed for President's Day.
Old Feb 9 2015, 03:12 PM   #3148
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Well, that saves the pupils from what my doctor used to call 'Monday-morning-itis'.

C. S. Lewis

Last edited by P'ter; Feb 10 2015 at 04:26 AM.
Old Feb 9 2015, 07:48 PM   #3149
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Glad to hear the good news, Mawra. Sending you positive vibes.

Good for you Zelandeth. One day, I hope to cross the pond and visit. Hopefully, during the summer when I can join you for a barbeque party.
Old Feb 9 2015, 08:33 PM   #3150
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
That's really good, maw. Happy to hear some positive news!

This is the third Monday in a row that schools are closed for snow. Next Monday they will be closed for President's Day.
At least they won't have to make up that day, Priscilla. The rate they are going it they won't get a summer vacation. How many snow days do they have before they have to start making them up?

Old Feb 9 2015, 08:50 PM   #3151
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I think they start taking days away from April vacation first, then they add them on at the end of the basic "regular" school year. We are currently due for another storm starting late Thursday and going into Friday. Part of the problem is that many schools do not have air conditioning and can get very hot when they have to go late into June. And "some" people still think climate change does not exist?! Hah!
Old Feb 10 2015, 10:46 PM   #3152
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I like college, if you don't go you are on your own to complete the work. No make up days. There might be a make up if it is on a finial test.

Kibby did not work Sat. She is complaining that she always misses the excitement. Were she works there is a McDonalds next to them, across from her work is a convenience/ gas station. A mysterious package was found at the McDonalds so all three places were evacuated. They were not let back in until almost closing time. She is not sure if people got sent home early or ended up having to stay really late to get all the closing chores done. She also does not know what they did with the people who have to wait for a ride. The package turned out to be nothing.

Old Feb 11 2015, 04:38 AM   #3153
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Yesterday evening I was checking through the contents of my fridge and came across a bag of bean sprouts that were far enough past their sell-by date that I decided not to risk things and dumped the packet in the waste bucket.

In the middle of the night there's a loud BANG!

Once my heart rate dropped back to managable rate, I went to investigate.

In warming up to room temperature, the bag of sprouts had 'out gassed' and exploded the bag. There were a few bits of bean sprout scattered around the place but, from the noise, I'd expected to find the entire kitchen coated in vegetable remains.

C. S. Lewis

Old Feb 11 2015, 04:56 AM   #3154
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: cursed

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Yesterday evening I was checking through the contents of my fridge and came across a bag of bean sprouts that were far enough past their sell-by date that I decided not to risk things and dumped the packet in the waste bucket.

In the middle of the night there's a loud BANG!

Once my heart rate dropped back to managable rate, I went to investigate.

In warming up to room temperature, the bag of sprouts had 'out gassed' and exploded the bag. There were a few bits of bean sprout scattered around the place but, from the noise, I'd expected to find the entire kitchen coated in vegetable remains.
:
mara is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11 2015, 07:12 AM   #3155
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Maw, I would say anything with the potential to be dangerous was worth "missing".

P'ter, that is a good one! "Lethal vegetables explode," I can see the headlines! I'm just glad there was not too much mess!
Old Feb 11 2015, 02:33 PM   #3156
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

just what I needed P'ter, its been a bah kind of week
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Feb 12 2015, 02:25 PM   #3157
Zelandeth
Firestone

Been pretty quiet here mostly. Finally got around to taking the whole car load of cardboard boxes to the recycling centre today, and while there emptied my waste oil container so I can actually change the oil in the Xantia.

Oh, and finally got around to changing the fuel filter because I was tired to the new one rolling around in the trunk. Took all of five minutes, and nearly without mess. Until the old filter which initially stayed attached to the filter housing lid dropped off the lid - landing in the pool of diesel in the filter housing and splashing it everywhere. Result of course being a godawful mess all over the front of my engine, the PCV hoses, intercooler piping, back of the radiator and me. Both me and the car now stink of diesel. Guess I'll be getting the pressure washer out tomorrow then!

Was definitely one of those moments of "Seriously?!?...Did that just really happen?" Stupid thing could have landed anywhere else and wouldn't have done a thing, but noooo...it had to land in the pool of diesel in exactly the right manner to cause maximum splash.

Off to go and wash my hands for the 46th time this afternoon to try to get the smell off!
Old Feb 12 2015, 03:35 PM   #3158
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Disguise it with Wright's Coal Tar Soap?

C. S. Lewis

Old Feb 12 2015, 11:51 PM   #3159
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post
Been pretty quiet here mostly. Finally got around to taking the whole car load of cardboard boxes to the recycling centre today, and while there emptied my waste oil container so I can actually change the oil in the Xantia.

Oh, and finally got around to changing the fuel filter because I was tired to the new one rolling around in the trunk. Took all of five minutes, and nearly without mess. Until the old filter which initially stayed attached to the filter housing lid dropped off the lid - landing in the pool of diesel in the filter housing and splashing it everywhere. Result of course being a godawful mess all over the front of my engine, the PCV hoses, intercooler piping, back of the radiator and me. Both me and the car now stink of diesel. Guess I'll be getting the pressure washer out tomorrow then!

Was definitely one of those moments of "Seriously?!?...Did that just really happen?" Stupid thing could have landed anywhere else and wouldn't have done a thing, but noooo...it had to land in the pool of diesel in exactly the right manner to cause maximum splash.

Off to go and wash my hands for the 46th time this afternoon to try to get the smell off!
You know how you're supposed to change the oil while it's hot? Well, wait until you run your car up on to ramps, get the drain pan in place, get the drain plug out and oil draining, then a gust.... no, make that a BLAST of wind takes that stream of hot oil and turns it into a thin, wide fan of hot oil that sprays all over you, the ground, and the bottom of the engine and transaxle (including the exhaust system) completely missing the pan it was draining into just a second earlier.
Old Feb 13 2015, 12:17 AM   #3160
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I just had a tiny thing run up to my foot and bite my toes and run off again. Luckily she does not bite down, she tickles.