A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall > Photography ConCrit

Photography ConCrit Interested amateur photographers can post photos and receive constructive critiques from others. Please read the guidelines thread before posting any photos.

Old May 28 2009, 03:35 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Hans 4: spring set

P'ter's posting such nice photographs "shamed" me into posting some of my spring pictures.

I have been doing photography quite seriously long ago with good material and even a small studio at home. I can't remember anymore why photography I started spending less and less time on photography. Then when digital came along I bought a simple camera (or three or four) and was content.

Last year things started to "itch" and I got myself a Canon 1000D DSLR camera and some lenses. I'm back and refound one of my favourite passtimes. For my more serious photography attempts I've started a flickr account (www.flickr.com/hansvanderboom) and the first set I created and photographs I put up concerns stuff growing and living in my wife's beautiful garden, a subject I can fill hours with

I call this "composition in green" even though it actually isn't. It is a "hesitant hosta" that is about to break into flowering.

How beautiful a simple daisy can be!

I titled this one "a waspish contrast". I don't know the name of the flower but the nickname in Dutch is: eggs, sunny side up

Some of you might know/remember that we have a sizeable pond in the garden. This little fellow is one of its inhabitants. And what a cute little poser he is! Ready for a kiss, of course

This one is called "An insect on King Edward VII" because that's the name of the ribes bush behind the garden house

Alright, one more of Kermit because the little bugger is so cute

All these pictures were taken with the Canon camera and a 70-300 mm zoomlens on macro setting on a moderately sunny day at the end of the afternoon, which - I find - gives the best lighting for photographing plants closeup with a digital camera. They are post processed with Adobe photoshop.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2009, 11:01 PM   #2
Bob12
Heavyworlder

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Default Re: My spring set

Nice shots, Hans. I have a friend here in town who specializes in "foliage" photography, much of it macro. He sells his work primarily to medical facilities around North America but I think he's done some broader international sales as well. He recently retired from his medical practice to concentrate on photography. If you're interested in some of his work, check out www.henrydomke.com One of my favorites (Water Lily_13548) is currently on his home page. A large print of it is currently hanging in the hospital where I volunteer.
Old Jun 1 2009, 01:41 PM   #3
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Wow! Those are fantastic photos Hans. You have a good macro lens.

How did you get the frog to stay still long enough for the last picture?
Old Jun 1 2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Bob, thanks for that URL. Your friend makes beuatiful pictures

Steven, I think he (she?) just feels at ease in our pond

But the lens might have something to do with it, too It's a 70-300 telezoom lens with a macro option which I used here. That means you don't have to be too close to your subject which is certainly handy when photographing easily frightened animals, wasps and bees and such

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jun 4 2009, 10:36 AM   #5
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

These are fabulous Hans...the daisy is an incredibly beautiful shot and the last one of *Kermit* is just amazing...Yes like Steven said, *how did you get him to sit still for it*???

Your other photos in your *Flicker*site are also incredibly beautiful...it's wonderful that you have pick up your camera again and are sharing your wonderful talent with us.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5 2009, 07:33 AM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

These are amazing Hans. Compositionally I like the first three the best. The eye is drawn in to the center of the first by the tight focal range. Being off-center suits the daisy (I know I'm bad at judging how to crop such subjects and stick with centering, so I'm taking note of this). And the bee is the most amazing yet; so well focussed you can see the pollen on his leg, and again the composition seems just right with the bee on one side and an empty flower on the other.

I love macro photography, but I'm so limited in what I can take myself since I just have a subcompact camera. I think there's definitely going to be a digital SLR in my future. I'll be asking for advice on lenses at some point in the future...

To take these shots did you manually focus the lens, or was it autofocus?
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2009, 12:25 AM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Cheryl...A good discussion about camera's and what different ones can and can't do... might be a very good idea...as at some time in the future we are also going to be very interested in buying a little better camera than my little Kodak 330, that some very gracious MoMers helped me to find the last time around.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2009, 04:35 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Cheryl, when using the 70-300 in macro setting I most often use it on manual setting (a simple switch, you can blindly find and use, on the lens itself switches that mode on/off) as it is hard for the camera and lens to know what to focus on at times. It's easier with the 18-55 lens which doesn't have a macro setting but a minimal distance to subject of about 20 cm (c. 8 inches).

Lenses nowadays take such sharp pictures that, as long as you keep thinking of your composition somewhat you can make it perfect or better later.

What amazed me was the quality of these pics while they were all shot from the hand! Yes, even the last frog picture. No tripod was used although all the old techniques of steadying the camera came back easily and having had military gun and shooting practice helps, too. I personally like to have something somewhat heavier in my hands, it actually helps me hold it more steady than the two smaller non DSLR cameras.

Old Jun 7 2009, 02:28 PM   #9
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

I'm going to have to get a lens with a macro facility. You have a really good lens, Hans.