A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Nov 1 2006, 09:56 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Collecting Highlight (33) - Brandywyne Moreta and Stitch in Snow

A two-for-one CH as I missed mine last month As we learned from Becky's last CH, the special edition publisher Brandywyne Books has done lovely editions of 6 of Anne's books. She highlighted one of them, and now I'm going to cover two more.

Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern tells the story of the tragic heroine of the 6th Pass Plague on Pern. This was the first story about Pern not set in the 9th Pass, and it brought to life a character that was a legend in the earlier-written books.

According to Hargreaves it was published in April 1985 as a 1000 copy limited signed edition, though the copyright page states October 1984 as the publication date. The original price is not known.

999 copies were bound with the pale blue French Suedel cloth, with red lettering on the spine and front board. The slipcase is bound in the same cloth, with cover art by Ned Dameron. Copies are not numbered, but do have a signature page before the title page, stating that the book is the deluxe limited edition.

1 copy was bound in green leatherette cloth with gold foil lettering on the spine and front board, with the art from the slipcase tipped in (it apparently did not come in a slipcase). This copy was given to Anne as a gift by the publisher.

In my opinion, the Brandywyne edition of Moreta is the most beautiful of all the editions they published for Anne, as it's the only one where both the book and the slipcase are covered suedel, and the only one with artwork on the slipcase (and it's a lovely illustration, of course). It is also unusual being the only sf tale of Anne's that they published; the other 5 they did are non-sf romances.

Currently I can only find one copy listed for sale online, for $100. The range I've seen in the past for this book is around $80 to at least $200.

Stitch in Snow is a romance tale with a bit of mystery thrown in. Succesful young adult author Dana Lovell ends up snowbound in Denver while on a book tour and spends a lovely three days with the charming Dan Lowell. When the snow has cleared enough for the airport to reopen she continues on with her tour, only to later learn that Dan has been charged with the murder of his ex-wife, a death which took place while they were together.

This story was predicated off of a real event whilst Anne herself was on a book tour once. Rather like the heroine she was waiting in the airport knitting and dropped her yarn ball, and a handsome gentleman stopped to pick it up. The real life encounter stopped there, but in the book it's just the beginning! (I've forgotten my source on this, but it was in an interview Anne did.)

Brandywyne Books published the very first edition of Stitch in Snow, in April 1984, and it sold for $30. There are 1000 un-numbered signed copies. These were issued in a slipcase covered in white leatherette as is the book. The edges are gilt in gold and the lettering on the spine is gold foil. A white ribbon is bound into the book as a bookmark. The dust jacket art is by Ned Dameron.

There are also 10 copies published in June 1984 especially for Anne to gift to friends. They were bound in white leather by request and did not come with a dust jacket. If one is in doubt as to whether they have a real leather copy or the leatherette edition sans dj, the other difference is that the leather edition's endpapers are a white Moire cloth and not a marbled blue.

Currently I can find 4 copies for sale online for prices ranged from $140-250. I'm surprised the price range is higher than for Moreta, as this book isn't any more rare.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1 2006, 10:39 PM   #2
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (33) - Brandywyne Moreta and Stitch in Snow

Cheryl, these are such lovley books you have. The information about them makes this such very interesting reading. I love learning about the more rare books, and getting to see them up close.

As you know, I have the Stitch in Snow edition. A beautiful signed copy only without the slipcase(I have it pictured some where on MoM) that I bought for $6.00. I figured the price had to be a mistake, or the book a paperback instead...but because it was so inexpencive I bought it anyways just in case.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2 2006, 12:03 AM   #3
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Maelin, check your end papers, are they blue or white??? You could have a really special copy since yours didn't comme with a slipcase!!!
Old Nov 2 2006, 09:29 AM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

The 10 special editions should have a slipcase, just no dust jacket. But do check your endpapers! You might make us drool for a change!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2 2006, 10:39 AM   #5
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Ah, missed that in reading over your highlight, Cheryl. Well, not actually missed it, messed it up in my mind rather! I'm so good at that! Ugh!
Great highlight, btw!
Old Nov 2 2006, 01:35 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Don't bother to get out any drooool towels for my copy, ladies. The end papers are the blue marble ones...not the special edition ones....sigh!!! I do really like my copy though, even without the slip case or leather binding, and it cost me a lot less. OK, OK, I know it's also not worth what you two's books are worth, but it is nice to have and it fit into my small book budget nicely.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2011, 02:26 AM   #7
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Yay for me, I picked "Stitch in Snow" up for under $75 on ebay and that included p&h and it was signed too. My version is the gold around the pages.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2011, 03:58 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Well done, Jube. A nice addition to yoour collection.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

Nice one Jube!
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2011, 05:19 AM   #10
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Thanks Hans and Samsara

So looks like no market tomorrow and I'll be putting a heap of photos onto the compie and doing some photobucketing. And yes I know I've been quiet on the ol' western front but I do pop in to look at what's happening occasionally.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote