A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Oct 22 2006, 11:18 PM   #1
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Collecting Highlight (32) - Brandywyne Year of the Lucy

As some of you may know I went to Seattle a couple of weeks ago to the Seattle Antiquarian Book Fair. I went just to look at the wonderful old books brought by over 80 dealers. Well, I also hoped to find some special Anne book(s). Hers aren't technically 'antiquarian' but they are collectible!

I did see a Del Rey 1st edition hardcover of DRAGONFLIGHT and DRAGONQUEST. I was very surprised to see them! But what really got me was to find ............ a Brandywyne YEAR OF THE LUCY!!! Brandywyne did this edition in 1986. Brandywyne is a part of the Underwood-Miller publishers.

I couldn't believe a copy found its way there! And since I was with Donna, for me to touch it first! (believe me, if I hadn't bought it she would have!)

This is the suedel case and the dustjacketed book. The case is still in its original shrinkwrapping too!

Another picture of the case, book and the full dustjacket.

You won't believe how I felt when I saw this book! I've been looking at them online and had almost purchased a copy. But I was meant to have this particular copy for some reason. It is a bit damaged as you can see in the first picture (the upper left corner). The book, in its case, had to have fallen from a great height as the case corner is crumpled and the same for the corresponding corner of the book itself. Damaged goods, yes, but I'd love to know the story behind it.

And yes, it is signed by Anne. #194 of only 350 copies that were made.

If you've never read any of Anne's 'romance' novels, please give them a try. I don't really classify them as romance novels. I don't know what to call them. But having read my share of romance novels, these are not the same.
One of the book sellers started chatting with me about Anne's books and said that all she writes about are big dogs, vegitarians and men bashing. Now luckily for him I'd just purchased this book and was in a good mood and said good-bye and left his stall to go find another stall with more of Anne's books. I've still not figured out where he got the 'big dogs' from and while there are a lot of books that don't use meat as a food it makes sense to me. I mean when you're in space you don't have a lot of room to have cattle grazing on a spaceship. As for man bashing well, you have to consider the troubles Anne was having during the time a lot of these stories were written. There are a lot of negatives about men, but then again there are a lot of good men in her stories.
Ok, I've gone off topic. Sorry, but I just had to share this bit.
Old Oct 22 2006, 11:37 PM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (32) - Brandywyne Year of the Lucy

Gorgeous!

I think this will be the only one of Anne's Brandywyne's I don't yet own. I've got Moreta, Stitch in Snow, Ring of Fear, and just committed to buy Mark of Merlin and Kilternan Legacy. They are all such beautiful editions, but pricey!

As for your complaning book dealer, I bet he hasn't read much besides Mark of Merlin (big dogs), Dino Planet (ultra-Vegetarian), and who knows what for the man-bashing. I'd really have to think through all her books to come up with one that really bashes men, as I take much more notice of the way her heroines always seem to become subordinate to the men they fall in love with. Year of the Lucy might be a little on the negative side, but Mirelle stays with her husband in the end -- if he was painted all bad that wouldn't fit the story now would it?
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23 2006, 12:28 AM   #3
Becky
Coelura

I've got to find the Moreta, I've got the rest of the Brandywynes. Well, not all of them. The Ring, Merlin and Kilternan I have are the signed ones, the unsigned ones I don't own. Not sure if I'll purchase them tho.
I had the Moreta awhile ago, but sold it when we needed some cash. So I'm having to find another one. Getting the YotL was such a super thing to happen. I was actually looking for the Moreta, since it's more common than the Lucy.
Old Oct 23 2006, 12:50 AM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Lucky you that that's the one you're missing, since it seems to be sold for much less than the others! The Year of the Lucy seems to start around $250 and goes up steeply from there!
Old Oct 23 2006, 04:16 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

What a beautiful book and a nice acquisition story, too!

Pray tell, ladies, can you make a list of the handful of Brandywyne books in order of value/collectibility?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23 2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Hans, hmmmm, this is what I know, Cheryl please jump in with any other info......

Pricing will be from what I've seen in the past if there are no copies available now.

Year of the Lucy in a case - $250 - $450 - (350 copies)
The Mark of Merlin, Ring of Fear and The Kilternan Legacy no cases - Signed by Anne - $175 - $275 each (200 copies)
The Mark of Merlin, Ring of Fear and The Kilternan Legacy no cases - Unsigned - $75 - $175 each (300 copies)
Stitch in Snow in a case - $175 - $250 (1000 copies)
Moreta in a case- $80 - $100 (1000 copies)

The case for Stitch in Snow is not suedel as the cases are on YotL and Moreta.
The Mark of Merlin is bound in blue suedel, Ring of Fear is in pink and The Kiternan Legacy is in gray.
There is a presentation copy of Year of the Lucy for sale for around $900 too. And there are special limited presentation copies of the rest of the books too. (Thank you Mr Hargreaves!)
Old Oct 23 2006, 11:36 AM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Becky...WOW !!! this is a lovely addition to the Highlights collection. CONGRATULATIONS on this wonderful find for your own fantastic collection....This is a lovely book, I had to really look to see the damage that it has.
It is odd that the slip cover doesn't seem to have any writing on it, or is that just the way the photo was taken?
I probably won't be collecting any of the Brandywine Books, they are way to expencive for me and my budget....even with the lovely Anne signatures that most seem to have included in them.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23 2006, 10:53 PM   #8
Becky
Coelura

Maelin, there is no writing on the slip case of either YotL or on the white leatherette case of Stitch in Snow. The Moreta has a picture fixed to the exterior of the case, but no writing, if I remember correctly. It's been a while since I have seen one.
And thank you, I'm very glad to have it in the collection too!
Old Oct 23 2006, 11:55 PM   #9
Cheryl
Master Archivist

*oooh happy dance*

I went looking for my copy of the Brandywyne Moreta to describe it, and lo and behold there was a copy of the Brandywyne Year of the Lucy in the back row of my special Pern shelf! I'm not missing it!

Anyhow, Becky is right that there is no writing on the suedel case for Moreta, save for the text on the pasted on cover picture giving the title of the book and Anne's name. It's a beautiful picture, and I think maybe I'll do my next CH on it.

Interestingly, the cases for Moreta and Lucy match, they're made of the same shade of blue suedel!
Old Oct 24 2006, 03:10 AM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

*shakes head*

How can you forget about something like that, Cheryl
Does that mean you have them all?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Oct 24 2006, 07:55 AM   #11
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I really need to upload a happy dance smiley.
Old Oct 24 2006, 09:40 AM   #12
Becky
Coelura

Cheryl, you're sounding like my friend Donna! She tends to forget she's got things and ends up with duplicates! (and she loves that she has multiple copies, so I'm thinking she does it on purpose!)
Glad you found you had a copy, Cheryl!
Old Oct 24 2006, 10:10 AM   #13
Cheryl
Master Archivist

It's usually the little things I forget I already have, eg magazines. I think this was forgotten because I picked it up years ago, and because it's been hiding in an unlikely location so when I was recently taking stock of which Brandywynes I had and which I still needed, I didn't even check that shelf.

Hopefully I will finish repainting our guest bedroom soon (such fun to do with little kids that want to help), then I will be able to shift some of my collection to shelves in that room and with that space to expand I'll be able to catalog everything so much more easily!
Old Oct 24 2006, 07:49 PM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cataloging...ARRGH!!! now that is what I have been doing lately. I have my books all in one place and in some kind of order, but I don't remember what I have when I am on the computer. I also don't have the book budget to do to many double copies, especially when it comes to the signed one. We all need to know what we have and what we need...so Cataloging seems to be the thing to do...AARRRRGH !!!

P.S. Cheryl, I am really glad that you found your missing book, and that you now realize that you have them all.... heres a "HAPPY BOOK DANCE" ...for you !!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Oct 25 2006, 03:23 AM   #15
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

make yourself an access database or an excel sheet for them, then you only have to type in details to find the book.
For example...
Field 1: AUTHOR (Anne McCaffrey)
Field 2: TITLE (Killashandra)
Field 3: HB/PB (HB)
Field 4: PUBLISHER (Bantam)
Field 5: ORIGIN: (UK)
Field 6: EDITION (1)
Field 7: ISBN (0-593-01014-0)

so that if you type say Killashandra in, you'd get all copies of that book.
If its Killashandra AND Bantam you'd get all Bantam editions you own etc!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25 2006, 08:04 AM   #16
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I have an Excel sheet started from a few months ago. I gots me more fields than that though.
Old Oct 26 2006, 01:13 PM   #17
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I ended up scaning my books into the computer, with all the details about each one, then printing it out, and sliding the whole thing into a plastic page. Now I have a notebook filled with most of my collection, and can glance at it when I am shopping in the real world or on the computer book sites. It works well for me so far (I am really a visual kind of person), and I can add to them whenever needed.

Old Oct 29 2006, 09:04 PM   #18
Becky
Coelura

Ok, I got really energetic and took a BUNCH of pictures of my collection. (working on insurance for it) So here are pics of ALL the Brandywyne books. Mine are signed but the unsigned are the exact same in looks.

Old Oct 29 2006, 09:13 PM   #19
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

OOOOH DROOOOOOOOL, now that is such a lovely grouping of books in your photo. Thank you Becky, for sharing more of your fantastic collection

Old Oct 30 2006, 02:58 AM   #20
Hans
Master Archivist

I fully agree with MAelin. I think I like these better than the Easton Press stuff. Wonderful picture, Becky! Thank you

Old Oct 30 2006, 09:42 AM   #21
Becky
Coelura

Thanks Maelin and Hans! I like them too now that I have 'em. And it's cheaper than trying to collect all the Easton press ones!
Old Oct 30 2006, 04:38 PM   #22
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I have just gone back over them to have my daily drool, and have decided that I really like that cover of Moreta, the dragon looks very intersting and delicate. So very different from some of the other covers we have seen that depict a Pern dragon on the cover. OK, now that I have to get my towel out and clean off me and my computer....I will say once again... thank you for the nice pictures Becky!!!

Old Oct 30 2006, 05:10 PM   #23
Cheryl
Master Archivist

*not to be outdone by Becky*

Old Oct 30 2006, 05:12 PM   #24
Hans
Master Archivist

Oh dear, look what you've done!

You'll have Maelin drooling uncontrolably now...

(must say I like Becky's... carpet better)

Old Oct 30 2006, 05:13 PM   #25
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Long as it's not ON the books, I'm okay with that.
Old Oct 30 2006, 05:29 PM   #26
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

OH MY!!! I am going to be soaked at this rate, you guys need to seperate the goodies so that I have time to dry out before the next drood-go-around....... .

THANK YOU Wonderful pictures from both of you fantastic collectors

Old Oct 31 2006, 01:03 AM   #27
Becky
Coelura

Ok, Cheryl, were you trying to copy my 'display'??? If so then your Stitch in Snow bookmark is sticking out, but otherwise nicely done!!!
Old Oct 31 2006, 01:38 AM   #28
Menderofillusions

Fan of: Freedom's, Doona, Petaybe
Now Reading: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stien

wow
Menderofillusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31 2006, 01:40 AM   #29
Menderofillusions

Fan of: Freedom's, Doona, Petaybe
Now Reading: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stien

awestruck, dumbfounded, puuurrrrrrty
must have the precious
Menderofillusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31 2006, 07:39 AM   #30
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Ok, Cheryl, were you trying to copy my 'display'??? If so then your Stitch in Snow bookmark is sticking out, but otherwise nicely done!!!
Yes. Yes I was. It seemed the appropriate thing to do.
And for the bookmark
Old Oct 31 2006, 09:45 AM   #31
Becky
Coelura

Like I said, well done! Now, when are you getting new carpet?
Old Oct 31 2006, 10:30 AM   #32
Hans
Master Archivist

Old Oct 31 2006, 09:51 PM   #33
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

OH NO BECKY, watch out Cheryl, has a whip and knows how to use it ... crack....ouch!!!! ............

Hi Cheryl........................

Old Feb 15 2010, 11:36 AM   #34
DragonBuddy
Linyaari

Fan of: CS, Freedom, and Pern
Now Reading: Black Horses for the King

Doesn't Ring of Fear have a slipcase?

When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left over, I buy food and clothes.~Desiderius Erasmus
DragonBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15 2010, 02:48 PM   #35
Hans
Master Archivist

Nope, that's one of the series of three that does not. But they have that suede covering and the fancy (gold) scrollwork, so fair is fair.

Although the case of Stitch in Snow is a plain white cardboard case, so that shouldn't really count either.

Old Feb 15 2010, 03:52 PM   #36
DragonBuddy
Linyaari

Fan of: CS, Freedom, and Pern
Now Reading: Black Horses for the King

Oh, Thanks Hans! I must have mis-read Hargreaves. I couldn't figure it out!

When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left over, I buy food and clothes.~Desiderius Erasmus
DragonBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2011, 01:22 AM   #37
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I'm re-hashing this highlight as I managed to pick up "Stitch in Snow" under $75 including p&h and because I lost my original paperback copy

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote