A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Feb 20 2008, 11:02 AM   #1
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Collecting Highlight - (64) Finder's Guide to Australterrestrials

Sorry it's been so long since a highlight was posted! I guess real life caught up with me and held me captive for a while! But I'm baaaaaacckk!!!

Finder's Guide to Australterrestrials is edited by jan howard finder. There were 500 'Special DUFF' editions signed by jan howard finder. (no I didn't forget to captialize his name, that's how he does it) Published in 1981 by Wombat Enterprises, Unlimited with ISBN 0-9605722-0-1, the book is stapled together with a paperback cover and is 8 1/2 X 11 in size.

jan howard finder wrote the factual commentaries on the animals but well-known science fiction authors wrote small fun commentaries about the animals. Anne's is about the Red kangaroo and is three short lines long and consists of just 9 words!

The books were published to raise funds for DUFF (Down Under Fan Fund). I don't know if DUFF still exists, but it was originally a fund to provide funds so that a science fiction fan could travel across the Pacific to visit with counterparts in Australia or North America. Candidates were voted on by interested fans from all over the world.

This is the front cover of the book.

And here is the copyright page along with a slip that was included with the book that gives info on who to contact for more info about DUFF.

Here is the page about the Red Kangaroo with Anne's commentary in the lower left corner. Told you it was small!!!

And finally the back cover.

The animals found in the book include the black cockatoo, black swan, Boyd's forest dragon (which I wish Anne had commented on, wonder why?), platypus, koala, kiwi, great skua, numbat, thorny devil and many other unusual animals from Down Under. Almost all animals are accompanied by a drawing of that animal by many different artists.

This is one of those obscure things by Anne that I love to find and add to my collection.

Also - according to Cheryl.......Finder (pronounced "FINN-der" not "Fine-der") is an inveterate con goer known to many as "The Wombat". He is in charge of running Albacon this year.

Last edited by Becky; Feb 21 2008 at 10:59 AM.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20 2008, 11:06 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Collecting Highlight - (64) Finder's Guide to Australterrestrials

Very nice Collecting Highlight, Becky and unexpectedly newsworthy since Jan is indeed the person that got Anne and Todd to come to Albacon as Guests of Honour!

Can you enlighten us as to how this copy came into your posession (I always like to hear that)

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20 2008, 10:49 PM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

WOW!!! now that certainly is just a little bit of Anne...I do think the drawing of the Red Kangaroo is lovely...and they do look like their great *HUGGERS*..LOL

I half to agree with Hans...how did you ever manage to find this one...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21 2008, 01:27 AM   #4
Becky
Coelura

Weeeelllllll.............finding finder's guide is actually a story of finder finding me!!! (remember finder doesn't capitalize his name) Cheryl actually found a couple of copies and let me know about them. So of course I checked them out and purchased one! Cheryl knows more about this than I do actually since she's had contact with finder. She may have more to add to this highlight actually.

Hans - I'm glad finder was able to get Anne and Todd to Albacon for a wonderful time with all the MoMers that got to attend!
Old Feb 21 2008, 06:17 AM   #5
Flinx
Linyaari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
<snip>
The books were published to raise funds for DUFF (Down Under Fan Fund). I don't konw if DUFF still exists, but it was originally a fund to provide funds so that a science fiction fan could travel across the Pacific to visit with counterparts in Australia or North America. Candidates were voted on by interested fans from all over the world.
<snip>
DUFF still exists.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21 2008, 10:58 AM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Flinx - thanks for checking on that and posting the lind! I'll have to go check out the site.
Old Feb 21 2008, 04:33 PM   #7
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

perhaps Dragongirl should put in for it in 2010?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21 2008, 11:58 PM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Flinx...interesting site, with very different ideas on how to meet other fans and promote getting to know each other in different countries.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3 2009, 07:41 AM   #9
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree
Re: Collecting Highlight - (64) Finder's Guide to Australterrestrials

Oh my god!!! Sign me up!!!!! I'm sooo going to join them!
Maybe one day I can come see you guys at a convention somewhere! Thanks Flinx!
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3 2009, 07:46 AM   #10
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Exclamation Re: Collecting Highlight - (64) Finder's Guide to Australterrestrials

And thanks to Becky too!
Old Sep 3 2009, 10:53 AM   #11
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Samsara, if you can't get to the ones overseas, there will be several here in Australia and it's easier to book into a hotel with someone and share the costs that way too, next year.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4 2009, 07:39 AM   #12
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Cool Re: Collecting Highlight - (64) Finder's Guide to Australterrestrials

I'll definately check out the Aussie ones! But I can still dream about going to the overseas ones!!
Old Sep 4 2009, 08:24 AM   #13
Flinx
Linyaari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
I'll definately check out the Aussie ones! But I can still dream about going to the overseas ones!!
Here are a few upcoming cons.
Conflux
SwanCon
AussieCon4
Old Sep 4 2009, 10:34 PM   #14
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Thumbs up Re: Collecting Highlight - (64) Finder's Guide to Australterrestrials

Thanks Flinx. I'll check them out. I know about Swancon because its in WA, (I hear its not that great but I've never been - have you?) but the others are new to me. I checked out your links and they seem interesting enough. Maybe you guys will see me at some of them!
Old Sep 5 2009, 08:22 AM   #15
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

I remember seeing this in Copenhagen. :bouncey: I thought it was rather cool. -Chuckles-
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5 2009, 07:32 PM   #16
Flinx
Linyaari

Thumbs up Re: Collecting Highlight - (64) Finder's Guide to Australterrestrials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
Thanks Flinx. I'll check them out. I know about Swancon because its in WA, (I hear its not that great but I've never been - have you?) but the others are new to me. I checked out your links and they seem interesting enough. Maybe you guys will see me at some of them!
You're welcome.
I'm hoping to go to AussieCon & I believe Jube is also going.
They were only a few of the cons that happen around Australia. Most of the states have some sort of con (sci-fi lit, media & comics) during the year.
Also the various writer's festivals always have a good selection of authors.
If I had the time available I would have went to Brisbane for their writer's festival this week, as John Birmingham, Gregg Hurwitz & Jeff Lindsay are among the authors attending.
At the Sydney Writer's Festival this year I met & got books signed by Garth Nix & Isobelle Carmody.
SwanCon is Australia's longest continuous running con, every year since '75, and each year is run by a different commitee, so there might be years where someone could say that it wasn't as good as another year.
I think that Swancon is like any other con you get what you expect from it & hopefully a bit more.
I live on the NSW south coast, so attending SwanCon is a big event for me but I've attended 3 times. The first time was in 1996 (Neil Gaiman & Storm Constantine), then 1997 (Howard Waldrop) & 2006 (Mercedes Lackey & Larry Dixon). There were a couple of other years I would have like to attend but couldn't get time off work.
Old Sep 6 2009, 02:01 AM   #17
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Hey Flinx, maybe if Samsara gets her act together, perhaps we could do a MoM'ers mini-gather in Melbourne as well as anyone else who's willing to go. Now for just getting my tickets

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6 2009, 03:09 AM   #18
Flinx
Linyaari

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
Hey Flinx, maybe if Samsara gets her act together, perhaps we could do a MoM'ers mini-gather in Melbourne as well as anyone else who's willing to go. Now for just getting my tickets
Sounds good. I got my ticket, just have to get time off work to go down there.