A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Jul 13 2008, 05:29 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Collecting Highlight (69) - Del Rey Dragonflight tbp with DiTerlizzi illustrations

Somewhere in early in the 21st century Del Rey decided they needed an edtition of Dragonflight, the book so well known to us all, aimed at younger readers (age 12 and up). Well... what they probably wanted was an edition that appealed more to that age group, so they would catch the attention of these youngsters and get them hooked on books in general and Anne McCaffrey and Pern in particular (something I honestly can't object to)

Cover

So in 2001 they asked illustrator Tony DiTerlizzi to illustrate a new Dragonflight edition, and also for a new cover, and the (trade) paperback was duly published in 2002. Whe I first saw the cover and the illustrations, online as I have never even seen this book stocked in Dutch bookstores, I almost laughed my ass out of my pants (colloquial Dutch ). Yes, Anne had once said her dragons were more equine than anything else but this was taking things to extremes And how about the sheer size of the dragons depicted, the funny starstones, the castle like Ruatha with waterfall... above all the drawings made my humour gland go wild with the cartoonesk quality of especially F'lar and Masterharper Robinton, who seems to have studied with the Borg for a while, looking at his eyepiece and who obviously has been in the Greek national guard service at one time because he clearly wears an Evzone skirt

Any which way, despite my interpretation being a world apart from DiTerlizzi's interpretation of Pern Persons and Dragons I did recognise that, as illustrations go, this was quality work and if it did what Del Rey hoped it would, who was I to object? Besides, the book had a good old fashioned frontispiece, a practice I applaud heartily and a very nicely executed Pern map. So not at all bad, no sir.

Frontispiece

I'll let Tony tell about this "project" himself for a bit first [source: Tony's blog, entry October 2007]:

"I first read Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight in late middle (or early high) school. It was after I had read The Hobbit, and before I plunged into Piers Anthony's many Xanth novels. And, even though it had a female protagonist (and her dragon), I really enjoyed it. Since it took place on another planet, it reminded me of Princess Leia and Star Wars a bit…of course, I loved the cover by Michael Whelan (the real reason I read it).

Imagine my surprise when I received a call from Del Rey books in 2001 to do a “new” version of Pern - fully illustrated and aimed for younger readers. Wow! Needless to say, I was giddy to be walking in the tracks of Whelan to bring my own view of Pern to life…but alas, it never really happened to the full extent of my vision.

You see, a book like this has a loooong history with a lot of people attached. Bringing in some new, “unknown artist” who wanted to tear the place apart and redesign everything, ruffled feathers. And so, many of my early space dragon designs were abandoned. I am posting some of these images here for the first time. The rest will have to wait for my Art of Tony D book…

Here, for once, I did not feel the constraints I had felt when I designed the terrestrial dragons found in D&D. I was thinking less-dragon-more-space-creature, and had great fun exploring shapes and forms. I looked at a lot animals for the head design: antelope, hippo, and fledgling birds. Finally we settled on a horse-like form - not my first pick, but it certainly appeared gallant on the final cover.

Like Dinosaur Summer, I am pretty sure my version of Dragonflight is out of print [Ed.: not true, it is still widely available but probably reprinted]. However, the labor that went into this book was not a loss to me. Projects where I can explore ideas and flesh out concepts are always rewarding - even if it all doesn’t make it to the final product…which often happens with me. I do a lot of sketches before I even think of preparing for a final image.

So, the dragon-design knowledge (as well as the world-building designs: people, clothing, architecture, etc) I gained here became very useful when I began laying the groundwork for a new series of books I had created with my good friend Holly Black…"

Tony DiTerlizzi (born September 6, 1969) is an American fantasy artist, children's book creator, and motion picture producer. DiTerlizzi created The Spiderwick Chronicles series with Holly Black, and was an executive producer on the 2008 film adaptation of the series. He won a Caldecott Honor Medal for his adaptation of The Spider and the Fly. In the gaming industry, he best known for his work in the collectible card game Magic: The Gathering and on the Planescape product line for the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game.

Very nice chapter headers with the original McCaffrey poetry, a nice touch

OK, back to the book. Maybe this isn't (yet) a collectible per sé and the printed numbers will be huge, especially if it is many times reprinted. I still think that it is special enough to feature in a Collecting Highlight. Many of us will already own one or more copies of Dragonflight and might pass this book by for obvious reasons, especially because it is meant for younger readers and if the prospective buyer doesn't even know it holds so many inaccurate though delightful drawings An added bonus is the low price of around $7 and of course copies can be had much cheaper on eBay.

Nice chapter headers in this edition

What struck me on the data side for this book is that I couldn't find a publication year in it. It lists the publication and copyright dates for Dragonflight on the copyright page: 1968, first hardcover 1978, first trade paperback 1997 (can't be this one), but no year for this book. The ISBN is 0-345-45633-5.

Now of course you are dying to see the fun ilustrations I was talking about earlier

Here thery are:

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13 2008, 05:37 AM   #2
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (69) - Del Rey Dragonflight tbp with DiTerlizzi illustration

The dragon looks like a dinosaur! Oops was I suppose to say that? Well that's just me. The inside covers are great though! And Lessa's clothing looks a cross between medieval and world war 1 airman clothing. "Cool as, wicked!" as Junior would say - it means fantastic or great in "kid lingo".

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13 2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (69) - Del Rey Dragonflight tbp with DiTerlizzi illustration

I don't care for the look of the dragons, but it is always interesting to see the interpretation of another artist. And it is nice that Del Rey had a illustrated edition done.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13 2008, 09:01 AM   #4
Flinx
Linyaari

Don't like the eyes.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13 2008, 09:40 AM   #5
~(_'>

I cringed when I saw how they looked. Bought it of course. But still. Blech.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13 2008, 10:32 AM   #6
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

Yes, the dragons are not to my liking, but some of the other illustrations are very nice. We all have our own imagination about what things should look like. We don't have to agree with his interpretation, just be able to appreciate the work.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13 2008, 01:59 PM   #7
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

I bought the book when it first came out, just because I found the cover interesting. Whelan dragons will always be Pern dragons, to me anyway. But I find the interior illustrations rather interesting. The artist is rather creative to me. I really like the Ruatha Hold drawing. More scifi in some respects, but still interesting. And the one of Lessa and the watchweyr is really neat, a unique scene to choose to draw.
I'll admit that I hadn't even opened the book when I bought it (or if I did I missed the drawings!) so this highlight has made me go thru it and enjoy the art work.
Thanks Hans!
Old Jul 13 2008, 03:16 PM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

What month/year was that Becky, do you remember?
Old Jul 13 2008, 04:23 PM   #9
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Hans, I rember looking mostly at the image. I thought them very nice. A differnt twist on Anne McCaffrey work. There is also the drawing from the "Gift of Dragons" too. I ejoy that too by Tood Kidd He also did the coverwork for Brainship too. Todd Kidd did a diffect view of the Star Stones too.

I also ejoy most of the image, where the put the harp around the intrduction to each chapter,
Very nice chapter headers with the original McCaffrey poetry, a nice touch, thank Han.

I also did not care for the eyes, or how Robinton is looking at the records, using a one eye magifier like he was some Early English 1777's person I think, no disrespeded to any member here. I did not buy it.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by GinnyStar; Jul 14 2008 at 02:23 PM.
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13 2008, 10:49 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Hans...This was a great choice and is a really interesting Highlight. I do enjoy Tony's art work...he has a facinating imagination and the drawings in the book have been very well drawn, by an excellent artist. However... I also don't agree with his depiction of the wonderful and majestic Pern dragons. His ideas of what Lessa, F'lar, and Robinton look like, also do not fit in with what I have visualize in my head after so many readings. I have heard from my two Grand-daughters that they find this cover very interesting..and they would enjoy to read this book from all the drawings. So appearently Del's reasonings that this would appeal to the younger pre-teen set is correct. I do think that each of us in our turn...have enjoyed the cover and its depecition of the Pern dragons the most. Whatever cover that might be...we found if interesting enough to buy it, and sit down and read it through...and most of the time eagerly go out and find the rest of Anne's books.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14 2008, 01:46 AM   #11
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
What month/year was that Becky, do you remember?

Cheryl, I'm not sure when it was that I bought it, but it was published in 2002 so right around then, I'd say. Sorry I can't pin it down better.
Old Jul 14 2008, 09:26 AM   #12
Cheryl
Master Archivist

That's more pinned down than it was before.
Old Jul 14 2008, 03:49 PM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

I got the 2002 from the Wikipedia article on DiTerlizzi

I did a cursory search on the internet but, after I think it as Amazon, corroborating the 2002, I did search any further

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jul 15 2008, 02:09 AM   #14
Becky
Coelura

The copyright page doesn't mention a date at all. I too searched the internet and several book sellers indicate a 2002 publication date and that date seems to fit what I remember about purchasing it.
What I found interesting is the trade paperback in 1997 that they mention. I've not heard of a trade paperback of Dragonflight before. Does anyone else know about it?
Old Jul 15 2008, 03:50 AM   #15
Hans
Master Archivist

Isn't that the series with the circle on the fron cover and the, more or less, mangled Whelan art?

There has been a tbp edition in 2005, too. With UK art.

Old Jul 15 2008, 10:09 AM   #16
Cheryl
Master Archivist

What Hans said. There's a set of trade pb's of many of the books with circle/Whelan art. I wish I'd bought those when I saw them in bookstores in the late nineties, as they are hard to find now.

And there was a trade pb of Dragonflight in the US in 2005, featuring UK artwork. I'd wondered when that came out if it was the start of a new series of trade pbs, but as far as I know, no more were released.
Old Jul 15 2008, 10:16 AM   #17
Hans
Master Archivist

Correct Cheryl, I saw that 2005 TBP when I was at Dragonhold in 2006, when it was new (with letter by publisher, that didn't say anything about the other volumes). I did photograph it and pleasantly surprised by a new drawn Pern map in that edition.
I actually only recently bought one and that copy should be in my stack at your place

EDIT: I'm sorry Cheryl, I'm a forgetful old geezer. I bought this new at Amazon and when I came home today (what a coincidence) it was there on the doorma
t

At work now and I can't put up the picture of the 2005 edition, but here's an example of the circle-on-frontcover book series (and to correct myself, not with Whelan art this time, as not even all the US books have Whelan art )

Last edited by Hans; Jul 15 2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old Jul 15 2008, 10:46 AM   #18
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cheryl...the one that you put up is the one that I immediately thought of...as the one mentioned. I agree with the rarity...as I have not seen one of them for sale, for
quite a while.

Hans...your cover art was Keith Parkinson....I have a book of his art work, so noticed it right away. I have always enjoyed his concept of the Pern dragon...and I think he got the size of the first ones perfectly.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jul 15 2008, 10:51 AM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

Maelin, does that book have the full art used for the Pern cover?

Old Jul 15 2008, 03:01 PM   #20
Hans
Master Archivist

Well, at home now so here's the cover of the US 2005 Del Rey TBP with UK Steve Weston art and a picture of the Pern map (based on and credited to Bob Porter, but they gave it a new look).

Old Jul 15 2008, 10:22 PM   #21
Becky
Coelura

Ah, thanks everyone! I remember now. Great information and memory joggers.
Old Jul 16 2008, 11:09 AM   #22
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans....No unfortunately this cover is not one of them in the book of Keith's art work that I have...but his style of painting and drawing is recongnizable. I really enjoy his work, as do quite a lot of other fans.
I have also gone to his site[ Keith Parkinson Online ]...and so far I haven't found this particular cover displayed or unfortunately for sale...but I could have easily missed it.

Old Jul 18 2008, 05:36 AM   #23
Hans
Master Archivist

Bloody hell! I visited the site, Maelin, and discovered that Keith has died in 2005!
The guy was a year younger than I am...

While battling Leukemia for 16 months, Keith fought every step of the way and never gave up hope, but in the end it was more than his body could handle. He was an inspiration to everyone that knew him and he will be greatly missed. He was the most amazing man I have ever met in my life and am very thankful that he and I had the time we did together. It is time that I will cherish forever. Keith touched so many lives and it is important that we all remember his great spirit and how he loved life.

- Donna Parkinson

Old Jul 18 2008, 11:17 AM   #24
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

OH LORD Hans ...I missed that incredibly sad news. I have always loved Keith's work...and had actually wondered why he hadn't put out another book, or that I hadn't seen any new art work of his in a while. He will be greatly missed in the SciFi/Fantasty art work community. Odd that it was his book cover art, that you and I just discussed. Thank you for letting all of us know.

Don't worry my friend...you have a very,very long way to go before you take leave of this world...[knock,knock]...we're just not going to let loose of you, what would *Pern*or your friends do without you...!!!

Old Jul 19 2008, 03:20 AM   #25
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

To all members. Sorry about hearing about the death Keith, I know the feeling in way. I was just read my e-mail and found the new posting.

When you mean full cover art do you mean the mass market edition, of the CoP? I do have a copy in good condition. Now with the new scanner/printer I have I could uplink to you a copy of the cover if you like. Please let me know. Its the one I am offering of free just postage
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 19 2008, 05:43 AM   #26
Hans
Master Archivist

No, full cover art means the art without the usual things that are on a cover, like title, author's name etc. The original artwork so to speak.

Old Jul 20 2008, 09:24 PM   #27
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

It would be incredible to find a print of Keith's original work...but I am afraid that if it was available...it isn't now. And I don't think it's been published in a book...or at least none that I am aware of yet.

Perhaps one of us will find one...or perhaps someone who reads this thread, will have one and share a peek at it??

Old Jul 21 2008, 06:52 AM   #28
Flinx
Linyaari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Bloody hell! I visited the site, Maelin, and discovered that Keith has died in 2005!
The guy was a year younger than I am...

While battling Leukemia for 16 months, Keith fought every step of the way and never gave up hope, but in the end it was more than his body could handle. He was an inspiration to everyone that knew him and he will be greatly missed. He was the most amazing man I have ever met in my life and am very thankful that he and I had the time we did together. It is time that I will cherish forever. Keith touched so many lives and it is important that we all remember his great spirit and how he loved life.

- Donna Parkinson
I was lucky enough to meet him at a con here in Australia. Got my copies of Chronicles Of Pern signed by him, along with a couple of other things.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22 2008, 08:39 AM   #29
Joz
Eskay

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

I have a copy of this illustrated Dragonflight, a paperback trade edition. I can't see a date in it but I bought it when I was in the US in October 2002. (I can't remember if it was Chicago or Ann Arbor, probably the latter) I haven't read it but bought it as a curiosity, a collector's item! I don't like the pictures that much, I've been living with the Atlas of Pern and the People of Pern for too long.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22 2008, 10:49 PM   #30
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Thanks for the information. Hans
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Oct 2 2008, 12:38 AM   #31
T'mynn
Dragon Rider-Yaaahhooo!

Fan of: All books
Now Reading: Chronicles of Pern

Beautiful artwork from a technical standpoint. I too, don't like how the dragons apopear. They don'tfeel' right, size, claws, eyes, head shapes..<shurgs>
Robbinton's clothing..ehhh...no. A little Steam Punk-ish. Perfect for that but doesn't say"pern" to me.
T'mynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2 2008, 06:24 AM   #32
Goldrider Thais
Heavyworlder

Fan of: Dragonflight <3 F'lar fan
Now Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray

This is the exact book that my aunt picked up for me for my birthday when I received my first Pern books. It was also edited for 12 year olds.
Goldrider Thais is offline   Reply With Quote