A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Dec 30 2019, 02:02 AM   #5161
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF
Default Re: What is happening

Hello again everyone! Glad people are still here. Hope you're having a great holiday season. I'm on vacation this week and had three days off (24-26) last week, lovely.

Sorry I've been absent for so long, but work's been crazy this year and I've gone back to school to get my legal translator's certificate, so I've been quite busy. After spending 8 to 11 hours on the computer every day for work/school, I haven't really felt up to surfing for fun much, if at all...

But it's fun to read what everyone's been up to!
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30 2019, 09:25 PM   #5162
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

The new tailpipe for the Lada arrived today.

Annoyingly it's not the same style as ordered - correct numbers stamped on it compared to the catalogue...so the manufacturer (Euroflo) are just being lazy and only producing one type of silencer now it appears rather than separate ones for the saloon and estate. Not as though it won't fit...I will just know it's not correct!

Diagram from the Euroflo catalogue...this is the correct shape for the Estate.

Which looks like this on the car.

Photo borrowed from somewhere on Flickr a long while ago which I now can't find to link to. I've not actually seen one in person in probably a couple of decades.

The car is currently fitted with the saloon one - which was generally fitted by everyone as replacements as they were more readily and cheaply available. Note the difference in where the tip should be - I've roughly indicated the correct location with my keyring.

This is what actually arrived (oriented approximately how it sits on the car)

Which plainly isn't what's in the diagram despite both the labels and stamped part numbers matching up.

The kink at the tip isn't on the OEM system, though it should help make it sit square as it normally sits at a bit of an angle.

It weighs a tonne so hopefully will last a decent amount of time.

If I'd known that it was going to be anything other than the correct part I'd have just ordered it from Lada directly as I know they have the saloon type ones in stock...if it wouldn't cost me £20 to send it back I'd return this one and just buy one from Lada...however paying £20 to return something that cost me £30 seems daft.

Even more annoying is that the box was devoid of mounting hardware...so I need a set of hangers (only one of the three originals is serviceable). Cue nearly three hours of driving round in circles trying to find a set of hangers. Completely without success. So I've now ordered the hangers from Lada...where I should have bought the whole lot from. Should really know better by now.

Annoying.

Exhaust place is closed until new year mind you...so not losing a massive amount of time as it won't be getting fitted until then anyhow...it's purely annoyance value.

Tomorrow it's getting a service provided the weather decides to co-operate.

[] Engine oil change.
[] Oil filter change.
[] Fuel filter change.
[] Gearbox oil level check and top up - will lose a bit when I change the reversing light switch which I will be changing as it's been rattling round the boot for a year.
[] Steering box oil top up.
[] Rear axle oil change.
[] Grease propshaft UJs etc.
[] Will check the air filter, but it's done less than 20K miles so not expecting it to need changing.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31 2019, 06:49 PM   #5163
Zelandeth

Didn't quite get as much done as I'd hoped today, mainly because I wasted about two hours trying to sort an air leak on the pick up tube on the Pela - without success. Eventually gave in and dropped the oil from the Lada the old fashioned way.

This did involve me dragging myself across the driveway at the end of a six foot breaker bar. This was seriously tight.

Thankfully being on the Lada the head is large enough that there was little danger of it stripping.

Oil dropped, new filter was spun on - that at least came off without a fight because I put it there (hadn't had the sump plug out myself before as I generally just use the vacuum draining method these days).

Photo was actually taken about half an hour later when I was doing a running leak check, but you get the idea...

While the oil was draining I also changed the fuel filter - this had been on the to do list for a while because I managed to lose the new filter (for about a year).

The old one came from the donor vehicle I pulled the injection system from - and I have a horrible suspicion that it may have been the original.

The air filter was checked but left alone as it still looks exactly the same as when it was fitted (the paper has always been a slightly more greyish colour than most I've seen).

I did rotate it through 180 degrees at least.

While I was in the engine bay I also gave the bonnet stay and hinges a bit of treatment with the spray grease.

Then did the same for the bonnet catch. This gets pretty well drowned regularly as if it sticks and the release cable snaps (or the sheath slips out of the catch) you are in for a world of pain trying to get in. Been there, done that. Thankfully not on this car or there would be scars from it!

Not quite sure how it took me until this week to actually buy a proper oil pouring jug.

It makes things SO much easier. Especially on a car like this where the oil filler is a bit awkwardly placed where you've got to stretch and/or reach around other things to get at it.

Oil was re-checked and topped up once the engine had been run for a few minutes (looking for slightly over the maximum reading due to the slope of our drive).

Then just did a general check over. Tightened up a couple of hose clips which had worked slightly loose and tucked a couple of wires back into their clips. Added a tiny splash of coolant to just bring that back up to the max mark (level with the top of the strap holding the expansion bottle in place).

It's never really going to be a tidy engine bay, but at least it's a reasonably clean one.

Hopefully will get the steering box, gearbox and rear axle oil done tomorrow.

One additional thing I did was finally change the second number plate light on the van. One got smashed a while ago when someone drove into the back of it. The other one however had already got a cracked housing and they didn't match.

This really is only fit for the bin.

Ten minutes later, symmetry was restored.

Much better.
Old Jan 1 2020, 12:22 AM   #5164
Dragon Fan

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy

To Al the Members of MOM, HAPPY NEW YEAR !
Old Jan 1 2020, 04:04 PM   #5165
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

So the year ended with having to get new washing machine & floors needing to be replace. Year begining with no heat at home. So far not impressed with 2020.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2 2020, 01:57 AM   #5166
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Ouch, Mawra, that's awful. I hope things improve for you shortly. Happy to be on vacation until next Tuesday (Monday's Twelfth Night so we get it off, too).

Happy New Year!
Old Jan 2 2020, 06:59 PM   #5167
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Happy New Year everyone. Things have to get better, right?

"There I was, sitting on the curb all down and dejected when I heard a little voice say 'Cheer up! Things could always be worse!'

So I did. I cheered up, and sure enough, things got worse!"
Old Jan 3 2020, 09:28 AM   #5168
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Happy New Year everybody!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2020, 10:08 AM   #5169
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Things can always get worse. I'm just glad that the temperature is in the 40s, not the teens. House is colder than outside. The cats are either very hyper or curled up in tight balls in a corner. The are not happy about it being cold inside. We have 1 dog who does not like to wear a sweater, she has left hers on for 2 days, without even trying to get it off. The other dog loves her sweater.

Old Jan 4 2020, 02:23 AM   #5170
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Oh, my goodness. I hope you get your heating fixed soon.

How are your fixing projects coming along, Zelandeth? Reading your posts is almost as good as watching Wheeler Dealers. That's one of the shows my husband and I watch together. He fixes all our cars (a 2008 Citroën C4, a 2009 C4 Picasso and his hobby car, a Volvo 740). IIRC the last time he took a car to a garage was when he was fixing the brakes on our Peugeot 406 estate (horrible mileage but the V6 was a lovely car to drive, I think it has the same chassis as the Xantia and/or C4) and one of the calipers needed replacing as well as the discs and he just couldn't get it off...
Old Jan 4 2020, 11:20 AM   #5171
Allen

Granath, wait until he gets deeply into the front wheel drive systems and experiences the
Wonderful World of Macpherson Struts. Not to be taken lightly, they can be quite dangerous if not done with the proper tools. They're the major suspension component of the front suspension, a sort of pivoting spring and shock absorber all in one. To test them, stand on the front bumper and get off quickly, If the car "pogos" up and down a time or two, you probably need to replace the struts. It should only go from down to up to "rest".

Ball joints are a "treat", too. Plus they occur on the rear as well as the front on cars that have independent rear suspension, as a lot of FWD cars do.

Just had to have the rear ball joints and 3 of the 4 tie rod ends replaced on my Taurus. Made it drive so much better I think it even helped the fuel economy.
Old Jan 4 2020, 11:14 PM   #5172
SpaceCowboy
Jewel Junk

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"

Happy New Year all. I had a wonderful Christmas and New Year since I spent both at my sister Lisa's house. I got to meet her in-laws on Christmas and figured out just why her and her husband Jon are such a good match. I got to meet the boyfriend of my youngest niece tonight and they are a very well matched couple and I was impressed that he was able to match my sisters and little Miss Katy in craziness.

I managed to irritate some younger cashiers and a veteran cashier who think I am too slow. For some reason our management decided to keep track of the 50 largest cashier sales and daily average from Thanksgiving to December 22nd. Guess who had 38 of those sales AND the highest daily average? Certainly wasn't any of the others since none of them had even two of those sales. I even beat my normal running daily average during that time period. As the list grew to be dominated by me I saw a lot of dejected faces.

I'm on day 5 of 11 straight days off to start the year. I decided that since I was going to paid for them anyway I'd actually use them instead of waiting for the cash out in February. Still going to get a $1500 payout on the unused PTO over 80 hours.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2020, 02:06 AM   #5173
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Granath, wait until he gets deeply into the front wheel drive systems and experiences the
Wonderful World of Macpherson Struts. Not to be taken lightly, they can be quite dangerous if not done with the proper tools. They're the major suspension component of the front suspension, a sort of pivoting spring and shock absorber all in one. To test them, stand on the front bumper and get off quickly, If the car "pogos" up and down a time or two, you probably need to replace the struts. It should only go from down to up to "rest".

Ball joints are a "treat", too. Plus they occur on the rear as well as the front on cars that have independent rear suspension, as a lot of FWD cars do.

Just had to have the rear ball joints and 3 of the 4 tie rod ends replaced on my Taurus. Made it drive so much better I think it even helped the fuel economy.

Yikes, the struts sound a bit iffy! I think I've seen them replaced at least on one car on Wheeler Dealers. But if he ever needed to replace those, he'd either get the proper tools or take the car to a garage. There are some limits to what he can do at home, because we don't have a pit or a garage high enough for a platform. So he has to settle for jobs he can do with jacks. That said, he's replaced at least one exhaust system that way.
Old Jan 5 2020, 02:12 AM   #5174
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
Happy New Year all. I had a wonderful Christmas and New Year since I spent both at my sister Lisa's house. I got to meet her in-laws on Christmas and figured out just why her and her husband Jon are such a good match. I got to meet the boyfriend of my youngest niece tonight and they are a very well matched couple and I was impressed that he was able to match my sisters and little Miss Katy in craziness.

I managed to irritate some younger cashiers and a veteran cashier who think I am too slow. For some reason our management decided to keep track of the 50 largest cashier sales and daily average from Thanksgiving to December 22nd. Guess who had 38 of those sales AND the highest daily average? Certainly wasn't any of the others since none of them had even two of those sales. I even beat my normal running daily average during that time period. As the list grew to be dominated by me I saw a lot of dejected faces.

I'm on day 5 of 11 straight days off to start the year. I decided that since I was going to paid for them anyway I'd actually use them instead of waiting for the cash out in February. Still going to get a $1500 payout on the unused PTO over 80 hours.

Congrats! Way to show them. I hope they quit being on your case for being "slow", when you obviously aren't. And taking the time off rather than the money sounds like a good idea, if you can afford it. Even if you're committed to your job (which you obviously are or your performance wouldn't be so good), there's more to life than just working... Or at least there should be.
Old Jan 5 2020, 03:50 PM   #5175
SpaceCowboy
Jewel Junk

The joke is that if you make 10 years at WalMart you are probably a lifer and I will celebrate my 14th anniversary with the company in July. I moved up front as a cashier just over two years ago when it became clear I could no longer physically handle stocking shelves. At this point I have a lot of regular customers especially among the older ones who prefer my way of bagging their items and handling cash. Part of the reason the other cashiers don't like me is that I don't just throw bags together any which way and my cash drawer can just be lifted out and be ready to go to the cash office. Most of them receive regular complaints about cans on bread, cleaning chemicals with food, and the like. And don't get me started on the mess their cash drawers are usually. The front end managers get a list weekly of people who are to be audited due to problems with their cash drawer or because they have been spotted on video doing something wrong. You can go four weeks without being audited then you get one automatically even if there is no indications either way that you've made a mistake. I'm the only cashier in our store that regularly is on the 5th week list.

I took the time off since it is paid on my regular paycheck and than will still get the $1500 payout for any over 80 hours in February since I have so much PTO. I was trying to save it last year since I'm trying to get in for a knee replacement and I want to use as little short term disability as possible since it is only 2/3 of my base pay. Unfortunately 80 hours is the most we can carry over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
Congrats! Way to show them. I hope they quit being on your case for being "slow", when you obviously aren't. And taking the time off rather than the money sounds like a good idea, if you can afford it. Even if you're committed to your job (which you obviously are or your performance wouldn't be so good), there's more to life than just working... Or at least there should be.
Old Jan 5 2020, 06:59 PM   #5176
Zelandeth

Things haven't been going too badly. General state of play of the fleet at the moment:

[] Citroen. Needs a few things done for the MOT. Beyond ordering some parts I'm ignoring it until the spring gets here, then it will go into a garage I actually trust to get a proper to do list.

[] Invacar. Currently immobile, waiting for a replacement wheel hub to arrive from another owner just now...will be a quick job to sort it then once that arrives.

[] Van. Running well, just ticking minor jobs off here and there.

[] Lada. Currently in regular use after a very surprisingly easy MOT pass. Shortly moving on to a new owner, with something utterly ridiculous replacing it...

I've got a rule generally these days that if the job involves me having to unbolt any part of the steering or suspension system (spheres on Citroens are the exception as they're dead easy) it gets handed to my trusted local garage. It's worth paying them to do it... I've played the game where I've sheared critical bolts, had cheap and nasty spring compressors half slip off on me etc... they've got a four post lift etc and all the tools to tackle things which go awry. This is meant to be a hobby largely, so stuff like that go to the garage.

On that subject though...today's update.

The previously weeping brake caliper on the Lada which had stopped for several weeks has resumed leaking. It drops the level enough to just start to flicker the warning light in about two weeks of normal use, so not unmanageable...but braking issues need fixing rather than accomodating. Especially as the car is off to a new owner hopefully this week.

I've known these cars for years and the calipers are usually pretty reliable unless they're irreparably seized from disuse so a service kit usually does the job. Grabbed this a few weeks ago.

In theory this should be a pretty simple job.

[] Clamp the feed line from the reservoir.
[] Remove wheel.
[] Remove brake pads.
[] Disconnect brake hose.
[] Remove caliper.
[] Remove piston(s).
[] Remove seal.
[] Clean bore.
[] Insert new seal.
[] Insert new piston.
[] Reattach caliper.
[] Reattach brake hose.
[] Reinsert pads.
[] Remove hose clamp.
[] Bleed system.

However I know full well that these jobs tend to grow arms and legs so was fully prepared for all hell to break loose.

The problem is obvious.

The horrible, horrible mess is far more obvious once the wheel is off. Yuck.

Yep, it be a piston seal that's leaking. Didn't expect otherwise really.

These brakes are refreshingly easy to work on. The pad retaining rods are floating on springs (so they're *usually* not seized) and come straight out once two P clips are pulled off. Then the pads lift straight out, and two further bolts (17mm) allow the caliper to be removed from the hub.

I had originally planned to change the flexible line as well but the union at the inner wing end didn't immediately relent when presented with a spanner so I opted for "leave it well alone" as one of the main targets for this job was not to generate a bigger to do list than I started with.

Getting the piston out required a bit of perseverance simply because I didn't have a helper to press the pedal while I kept an eye on things and compressed air was out of the question as my compressor is currently out of commission until I find out why it's tripping the RCD.

Wasn't too hard though, with the dust boot removed it was easy enough to pull it free while slowly rotating it.

The fluid actually in there didn't really look too bad and there was no puddle of metallic sludge in there like I've found in a few older calipers.

There wasn't really any obvious damage to either the piston or the seal at a glance.

Though the new seal is a more snug fit to the piston, there's visible clearance between the old seal and piston.

(Trying to photograph that was an utter pain).

The only signs of damage I could see were some *really* fine scratching/pitting near the outer edge.

Ignore the mangled finish on the inner area of the step, that's just from me wrestling it out of the caliper , and is the area normally outside the dust boot.

This isn't enough to feel with a fingernail and is only visible when the light catches it just right. I guess it's enough though given the clearances involved.

I made the executive decision to leave the outboard piston alone. There's absolutely no sign of leakage from it at this stage (I did have a peek under the rubber dust boot), and given that pulling the caliper takes all of five minutes, it's not the end of the world if it needs to be revisited.

No photos from the actual dismantling and reassembly process I'm afraid as I was predictably absolutely covered in a horrible slimy congealed brake dust/brake fluid mixture.

This was snapped once I'd reassembled everything and changed into a fresh pair of gloves.

The bleed nipple even came undone without undue force (it was slightly rounded off though, so the new one from the service kit was fitted - dust cap has since been added).

Then hooked up the Easybleed and let it run until I had a steady stream of clean fluid running through.

Then it was just a matter of double checking the fluid level...

...5-10mm above the mounting bracket is correct.

Then going for a test drive. Well it would have been if the headlights hadn't then decided to play up.

Nearside is lit at roughly 50%, and doesn't respond to switching between dip and main beam.

Tapping the relay that handles that headlight with the handle of a screwdriver immediately restored normal operation.

The headlights on this while not being quite up there with some of the modern cars with good HID setups are by quite a long way the best of any classic I've driven. Definitely an example of what the humble H4 headlight bulb can actually do with a decent optical system to work with. I've got a spare relay in stock, so will change that out to hopefully prevent further issues with that.

There's still more travel in the pedal than I'd like so I reckon there might still be a bit of air in the system. I'll go back and bleed everything again thoroughly tomorrow - didn't want to start on that today as A: it was nearly dark by that point and B: I had run out of brake fluid as of filling the Easybleed.

While there is a bit too much free travel, the tendency to wander under heavy braking has been vastly reduced and the brakes generally feel more positive...hard to quantify the feeling of them biting, but they definitely feel better than before this work was done. Let's see what a full system bleed does for things - it's a few years since I changed the fluid now anyway so it's worth flushing through anyway. Checking the fluid after the run out hasn't shown any level drop and I can't see any signs of leakage from the wheel...though there's enough goop round there it's kind of hard to tell.

Have parked the car the other way around tonight so hopefully I'll be able to see tomorrow if I've stopped the leak...it was leaving a few drops overnight before.

Hopefully this is one job ticked off...was actually quite a pleasant one to do to be honest, if a bit messy.
Old Jan 6 2020, 01:37 AM   #5177
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Interesting stuff on the Lada! Reminds me of when we lived in the UK in the mid-80s and my dad drove a left-hand drive 1984 Volvo 240 estate. Although he had covered the part of the headlight lens that throws light on the right side of the road with black tape (the sort you'd use to seal spliced wiring), facing traffic kept blinking headlights at him. Apparently the Scandinavian spec lights were so bright in comparison with British spec that other drivers thought he had his "long lights" on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
The joke is that if you make 10 years at WalMart you are probably a lifer and I will celebrate my 14th anniversary with the company in July. I moved up front as a cashier just over two years ago when it became clear I could no longer physically handle stocking shelves. At this point I have a lot of regular customers especially among the older ones who prefer my way of bagging their items and handling cash. Part of the reason the other cashiers don't like me is that I don't just throw bags together any which way and my cash drawer can just be lifted out and be ready to go to the cash office. Most of them receive regular complaints about cans on bread, cleaning chemicals with food, and the like. And don't get me started on the mess their cash drawers are usually. The front end managers get a list weekly of people who are to be audited due to problems with their cash drawer or because they have been spotted on video doing something wrong. You can go four weeks without being audited then you get one automatically even if there is no indications either way that you've made a mistake. I'm the only cashier in our store that regularly is on the 5th week list.

I took the time off since it is paid on my regular paycheck and than will still get the $1500 payout for any over 80 hours in February since I have so much PTO. I was trying to save it last year since I'm trying to get in for a knee replacement and I want to use as little short term disability as possible since it is only 2/3 of my base pay. Unfortunately 80 hours is the most we can carry over.

Good for you. Do you get tips for good service as well? Or is that just not done with cashiers? And good luck with the knee replacement, I hope you can get it done fairly soon.

Here, people would not stand for waiting while a cashier packs the last customer's shopping. The standard is to have a table with a conveyor belt and with splitters so that two (or three) customers can pack their own shopping at the same time. When Lidl came here about 15 years ago, they tried to have smaller cashier's stations without the extended tables, but customers just wouldn't accept that. Now they're using the same system here as all other stores. Do people still pay cash there? Statistics here say that in supermarkets, most people (more than 80 percent of customers, larger share of turnover) pay with credit/debit cards. Each transaction costs something for the store, but cashiers are happy, since there's no change involved and it eliminates one source of mistakes.
Old Jan 6 2020, 09:49 AM   #5178
SpaceCowboy
Jewel Junk

At WalMart we are not allowed to accept tips at all everything is considered to be a part of excellent customer service. Our cashier stations are set up so the items the customers have selected move down a continuous belt to me and I place them in bags and as the bags fill or are otherwise finished with I spin it to the customer on the bag carousal. I will post a picture for you. And with my long reach I can pick up items that are almost 30 inches down the conveyor belt which if you look at the picture is past where the candy starts.

https://thoughtcatalog.files.wordpre...g?w=1140&h=591

Quote:
Good for you. Do you get tips for good service as well? Or is that just not done with cashiers? And good luck with the knee replacement, I hope you can get it done fairly soon.

Here, people would not stand for waiting while a cashier packs the last customer's shopping. The standard is to have a table with a conveyor belt and with splitters so that two (or three) customers can pack their own shopping at the same time. When Lidl came here about 15 years ago, they tried to have smaller cashier's stations without the extended tables, but customers just wouldn't accept that. Now they're using the same system here as all other stores. Do people still pay cash there? Statistics here say that in supermarkets, most people (more than 80 percent of customers, larger share of turnover) pay with credit/debit cards. Each transaction costs something for the store, but cashiers are happy, since there's no change involved and it eliminates one source of mistakes.
Old Jan 6 2020, 12:31 PM   #5179
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Your long reach surely helps. Cashiers with shorter arms may be forced to deal with the items more or less in the order they show up on the belt, if they even think about it.

Yikes, I just realized that I got my first job in a corner convenience store more than 30 years ago... I was 17 and it was the summer before my senior year in high school. I didn't have any extracurriculars, so I had plenty of time to work Saturdays and a couple nights a week. At that time, opening hours were more limited than they are today. Stores were usually closed on Sundays and closing time on Saturday was 6 PM, so there was plenty of time to see my friends afterwards. The store was small, with only 2 cashier stations. Things have changed a lot, I was allowed to work as a cashier at 17, and that included selling alcohol and tobacco, things I was too young to buy (drinking age 18). These days you have to be 18 to do anything other than fill shelves. I continued to work there for my first years in college and after that I moved on to other things.

I think everyone should work in retail or in some service job at some point in their lives, preferably at a fairly young age. It's certainly made me a reasonable customer! I never take out my frustrations on a service worker who's only trying to do their job. If I have a complaint, I'm pretty quick to ask to talk to a supervisor who may be able to help more than the cashier, but I'm also willing to concede that the customer isn't always right.

I'm still introverted but in my teens I was painfully shy as well. I hated talking to strangers, but I got over that as I worked. Funny how the staff uniform and the employee role makes it easier to talk to people... Even if it's only the equivalent of "Thank you, Sir/Ma'am, have nice day!"
Old Jan 6 2020, 03:01 PM   #5180
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Am I weird? I ALWAYS place my shopping on the conveyor in the order I will need to pack them. Heavy tins etc first; eggs and bread last.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6 2020, 07:17 PM   #5181
SpaceCowboy
Jewel Junk

I love it when people do that it makes my job easier. Actually any organization to the order helps even something as simple as putting your cold items together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Am I weird? I ALWAYS place my shopping on the conveyor in the order I will need to pack them. Heavy tins etc first; eggs and bread last.
Old Jan 6 2020, 07:25 PM   #5182
Zelandeth

I usually try to orient things so that the barcode is facing the scanner too...though I'm obsessed with trying to do things in an efficient way that ideally makes life as easy as possible for everyone involved.

The biggest headache we have in retail here these days is the automated self service checkouts. The moment they appeared all of the big supermarkets basically closed all but one or two of the manned checkouts, usually manned by the grouchiest member of staff they can find. So your choices are to use the automated kiosks or wait forever to get to the one or two normal checkouts. That said...customer service really isn't this country's strong point at the best of times...

-- -- --

No brake fluid loss overnight nor any sign of fluid under the car.

Had it out a couple of times today and the brakes are definitely better than they were, just a bit too much travel in the pedal yet. Keep meaning to reset the handbrake adjustment too as that can have quite an effect on it.

Will try to get the system bled again tomorrow as I picked up some more fluid today. If it's still the same afterwards I'm just going to write it up as "it's just like that" as she honestly stops perfectly well and I think it's just throwing me because the pedal feels different now.

Last job for me on the car probably though as it's now official - she will be moving on on Wednesday morning. So tomorrow I'll get the brakes bled, top up the steering box and try to give her a bit of a valet.

Realising that I'll be wanting to use my phone to navigate on Wednesday I've picked up a windscreen mount, as unlike the van or Xantia there's nowhere convenient to just sit it. Same is true of the Invacar so will definitely get further use in the future.

So exciting new arrival day after tomorrow...know some of you know or have guessed what it is...but I'll bet it will surprise a few of you! Surprised me...
Old Jan 6 2020, 07:32 PM   #5183
SpaceCowboy
Jewel Junk

Because underage employees cannot use a box cutter or put things in the cardboard baler we tend to have them either run register or work soft lines (clothing) since neither of them require the use of a box cutter. At WalMart cashiers who are under 19/20 depending on the state have a code to summon a supervisor for alcohol sales and they are never put on the tobacco registers. If they only have the alcohol for that sale I will occasionally if I have the time ring it for them so our supervisors don't have to run to the register.
Yes my long reach does help so does the fact that I am tall enough to see over taller items. Some of my customers find it funny to see me snake my arm around things to grab things they don't think I can see.
I agree with the thought of having people work either retail or in the service industries when they are younger. I've actually had teenage co-workers mention they didn't realize just how hard that job can be until they did it.

Quote:
Your long reach surely helps. Cashiers with shorter arms may be forced to deal with the items more or less in the order they show up on the belt, if they even think about it.

Yikes, I just realized that I got my first job in a corner convenience store more than 30 years ago... I was 17 and it was the summer before my senior year in high school. I didn't have any extracurriculars, so I had plenty of time to work Saturdays and a couple nights a week. At that time, opening hours were more limited than they are today. Stores were usually closed on Sundays and closing time on Saturday was 6 PM, so there was plenty of time to see my friends afterwards. The store was small, with only 2 cashier stations. Things have changed a lot, I was allowed to work as a cashier at 17, and that included selling alcohol and tobacco, things I was too young to buy (drinking age 18). These days you have to be 18 to do anything other than fill shelves. I continued to work there for my first years in college and after that I moved on to other things.

I think everyone should work in retail or in some service job at some point in their lives, preferably at a fairly young age. It's certainly made me a reasonable customer! I never take out my frustrations on a service worker who's only trying to do their job. If I have a complaint, I'm pretty quick to ask to talk to a supervisor who may be able to help more than the cashier, but I'm also willing to concede that the customer isn't always right.

I'm still introverted but in my teens I was painfully shy as well. I hated talking to strangers, but I got over that as I worked. Funny how the staff uniform and the employee role makes it easier to talk to people... Even if it's only the equivalent of "Thank you, Sir/Ma'am, have nice day!"
Old Jan 7 2020, 01:17 AM   #5184
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Box cutters? I never used anything bigger than a Stanley knife with a half-inch blade to cut the box tape. I guess if you really tried, you could cut somebody's carotid artery with it... But no issues using that tool even when underage. The store was so small that it didn't have a cardboard baler, so we had to make do with flattening the boxes manually. Occasionally people who were moving would ask us to save some cardboard boxes for them. Our storeroom wasn't exactly huge but usually it was possible to accommodate such a request, especially for regular customers.
Old Jan 7 2020, 09:12 AM   #5185
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Plastic bags? They are no longer legal here, and I must say there's a lot less plastic blowing around and getting caught in all the trees and blown out to sea. One national chain never provided them unless you paid for them. All the delivery boxes are in a pile at the front of the shop and you select the right sized one and pack your own groceries. One local specialty/gourmet grocer provides the cartons but the checkout people pack them. Great if you've got a car, but I use a shopping trundler and a bus to get home.
I always put the heavy stuff on the conveyer first, and whoever's packing invariably asks whether I want the cat-litter in the bag, because it has a handle of its own. Then there's a wide variety of what happens next. The checkout is faster than the packer, so the order can get mixed up. Some packers put the cans on the bottom and bottles neatly down the side, with tomatoes on the very top. At the other extreme, others chuck everything in, in any order or none at all. I don't complain because of an experience I had at a local Briscoes homeware store some years ago.
I was waiting in the queue for service because a customer at the front was being especially obnoxious and abusive towards the young slip of a girl on the checkout. Then the manager came out and instead of taking the abusive customer to her office to settle her issues, she got stuck into the checkout girl as well. Meanwhile, for something like twenty minutes the queue just got longer while the manager and the customer were both haranguing the checkout girl. I hadn't noticed, but one of my sisters-in-law was behind me in the queue. Eventually the whole thunderstorm rolled off to the manager's office - where it should've been in the first place - and a different girl was on checkout when I finally got served, vowed I'd never go back to that store, and went home. I've seen something similar happen at one of the local supermarkets as well. But this particular time, the checkout girl was my niece and she was staying in our family home while she was working at that store. She came home, dumped her uniform on the floor and vowed she wasn't going back to work there again. I backed her up, and so did my sister-in-law when she got home and told my brother about it. She eventually got a job as a Social Welfare worker in a different town, she's actually a lot older and more experienced than she looks. And I got a first-hand view of the damage an obnoxious customer can do - it usually isn't the jimmy-at-the-bottom's fault anyway.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7 2020, 02:28 PM   #5186
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I HATE self check outs. With my back & shoulder problems I have a hard time using them. I appreciate the cashier bagging them for me. Unless it's something heavy I can usually manage to put the bags in my cart. I very rarely have a problem with them taking their time.

It is snowing, which means it is cold. I am not happy right now. I do not like the cold, but better cold than what Australia has going on right now.

Old Jan 7 2020, 03:20 PM   #5187
SpaceCowboy
Jewel Junk

OSHA in the US has some very interesting rules when it comes to safety. Basically that is the type of knife I am talking about when I say box cutter. A handle with a short slide out blade* for slicing tape or cardboard. My personal carry knife is not considered a box cutter even though the blade is replaceable because it has a flip out blade**. Our store has two balers because we are so big with some fairly substantial overall sales. We send 20 bales of cardboard and 2-3 of plastic out of the store weekly.

*This is what our store currently uses for opening boxes https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/19130...-1/s-l1000.jpg

**And this is what I carry as a pocket knife https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/joUAA...xvX/s-l300.png

Quote:
Box cutters? I never used anything bigger than a Stanley knife with a half-inch blade to cut the box tape. I guess if you really tried, you could cut somebody's carotid artery with it... But no issues using that tool even when underage. The store was so small that it didn't have a cardboard baler, so we had to make do with flattening the boxes manually. Occasionally people who were moving would ask us to save some cardboard boxes for them. Our storeroom wasn't exactly huge but usually it was possible to accommodate such a request, especially for regular customers.
Old Jan 7 2020, 03:50 PM   #5188
SpaceCowboy
Jewel Junk

In some parts of the US plastic bags are no longer allowed either, and some companies including WalMart are working to eliminate them nationwide as well. One of the ways WalMart is working to keep plastic bags and plastic in general out of the trash is recycling any that our stores or supply chain produce or by using products that use recycled plastic. Examples of the latter include reusable bags sold in our stores and the vests our associates wear which are made of polyester produced from recycled plastic.

As the cashier I also pack the bags for our customers and have made an art of keeping them organized while keeping my speed at a reasonable level. I can do a $400 grocery order in under 10 minutes while some of our cashiers including the ones who complained about me take 15 or more. And that is while keeping them organized. Cans/bottles with cans/bottles, cold/frozen with cold/frozen, meat together with chicken separate from beef/pork, bread/chips(crisps)/noodles together, eggs by themselves, and cleaning chemicals separate from food.

We call customers like that one Karen's, don't ask why we don't know ourselves other than it comes from an internet meme. We get those and most of them are ignored by the cashier we just ring and get them out as fast as possible. Although I do admit there have been a couple that have been banned from the store which is a major punishment since we are one of the very few shopping options at our end of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyon View Post
Plastic bags? They are no longer legal here, and I must say there's a lot less plastic blowing around and getting caught in all the trees and blown out to sea. One national chain never provided them unless you paid for them. All the delivery boxes are in a pile at the front of the shop and you select the right sized one and pack your own groceries. One local specialty/gourmet grocer provides the cartons but the checkout people pack them. Great if you've got a car, but I use a shopping trundler and a bus to get home.
I always put the heavy stuff on the conveyer first, and whoever's packing invariably asks whether I want the cat-litter in the bag, because it has a handle of its own. Then there's a wide variety of what happens next. The checkout is faster than the packer, so the order can get mixed up. Some packers put the cans on the bottom and bottles neatly down the side, with tomatoes on the very top. At the other extreme, others chuck everything in, in any order or none at all. I don't complain because of an experience I had at a local Briscoes homeware store some years ago.
I was waiting in the queue for service because a customer at the front was being especially obnoxious and abusive towards the young slip of a girl on the checkout. Then the manager came out and instead of taking the abusive customer to her office to settle her issues, she got stuck into the checkout girl as well. Meanwhile, for something like twenty minutes the queue just got longer while the manager and the customer were both haranguing the checkout girl. I hadn't noticed, but one of my sisters-in-law was behind me in the queue. Eventually the whole thunderstorm rolled off to the manager's office - where it should've been in the first place - and a different girl was on checkout when I finally got served, vowed I'd never go back to that store, and went home. I've seen something similar happen at one of the local supermarkets as well. But this particular time, the checkout girl was my niece and she was staying in our family home while she was working at that store. She came home, dumped her uniform on the floor and vowed she wasn't going back to work there again. I backed her up, and so did my sister-in-law when she got home and told my brother about it. She eventually got a job as a Social Welfare worker in a different town, she's actually a lot older and more experienced than she looks. And I got a first-hand view of the damage an obnoxious customer can do - it usually isn't the jimmy-at-the-bottom's fault anyway.
Old Jan 7 2020, 05:08 PM   #5189
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Most of the time the cashiers here do a good job bagging. I wish they would double bag the drinks. I usually ask them too, but forget sometimes I forget.
The only problem we had lately was on Black Friday. We got a t.v. first we got a ticket to turn in when the sell started. Then we handed in the tick got the tv & got in line. This was about an hour before you could ring out. Jennifer took my place in line once the lines started moving, so I could pull up. When Jennifer got to the register the woman wanted the ticket. The one I had to hand in to pick up tv. Jennifer had me come ask for the ticket back and give it to the cashier. She said that was not the ticket she needed. We had no idea what she wanted. The head cashier came over gave the cashier a disgusted look and told her just ring it up. It took over 20 min to pay for the tv. Normally we can be at the end of the line, that winds around isle & back to the door & be out in less the 20 min.

Wal Mart has figured out how to get the lines moving Black Friday. Every register open & 1 or 2 baggers as well as the cashier.

Old Jan 7 2020, 07:53 PM   #5190
Zelandeth

Today involved a lot of running around in circles while also trying to get the Lada ready for tomorrow.

By 1500 or so I finally actually managed to get to the car.

[] Steering box oil topped up, check. Still sodding awkward.

[] Gearbox oil checked - didn't need any.

[] Diff oil checked - didn't need any (despite having looked like it leaks like a sieve since I got the car, it's never used a drop).

[] Screen was topped up.

[] Engine oil checked.

[] Clutch fluid checked.

[] Brake fluid checked.

[] About 30 litres of LHM and goodness only knows how many bits and pieces removed from the boot - and dumped in the Xantia instead.

Having been on daily duties for the last couple of weeks the car was generally a bit grubby, not in a condition I really wanted to hand it over in.

Not having time to give it a proper clean myself today (especially as I was rapidly running out of daylight by that point) I decided to run round to one of the hand car washes need us which I actually trust. Sadly I discovered they're closed on Tuesdays...so reverted back to the one just round the corner from us.

This it turned out was a mistake. Despite me telling them no less than four times NOT to spray TFR all over the car...they did anyway.

So I wound up with a car which was no longer shiny and was covered in splotchy marks. They were very apologetic and then spent half an hour frantically hand polishing it, which made it slightly less dull but still covered in splotches. Not amused.

That's the third time they've done that now...suffice to say I won't be darkening their door again. Ever. I usually try to do this sort of thing myself...but if I don't have time it will be Magic Hand over by Tongwell who will get my business. They have never failed to follow my instructions - and in fact the first time I was there specific said to me before I even got to the front of the queue that they wouldn't be using any of the stronger chemicals because it would dull my paintwork.

At least they didn't do a bad job of the interior.

Next step: digging all the bits of Lada out the garage and from out back.

Couple of things I've not been able to find and I'll need to send on later, but the vast majority of things are now in the car.

So she's about as ready as she's going to be. 0800 tomorrow we'll be fuelling up then heading north.

I'll miss this car, I know that.

What's going to replace it I wonder...
Old Jan 7 2020, 11:43 PM   #5191
SpaceCowboy
Jewel Junk

Good luck and have a safe trip to where you are going. I can also say that there are probably several others besides me wondering what you are getting in trade I hope is is an interesting vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post
Today involved a lot of running around in circles while also trying to get the Lada ready for tomorrow.

By 1500 or so I finally actually managed to get to the car.

[] Steering box oil topped up, check. Still sodding awkward.

[] Gearbox oil checked - didn't need any.

[] Diff oil checked - didn't need any (despite having looked like it leaks like a sieve since I got the car, it's never used a drop).

[] Screen was topped up.

[] Engine oil checked.

[] Clutch fluid checked.

[] Brake fluid checked.

[] About 30 litres of LHM and goodness only knows how many bits and pieces removed from the boot - and dumped in the Xantia instead.

Having been on daily duties for the last couple of weeks the car was generally a bit grubby, not in a condition I really wanted to hand it over in.

Not having time to give it a proper clean myself today (especially as I was rapidly running out of daylight by that point) I decided to run round to one of the hand car washes need us which I actually trust. Sadly I discovered they're closed on Tuesdays...so reverted back to the one just round the corner from us.

This it turned out was a mistake. Despite me telling them no less than four times NOT to spray TFR all over the car...they did anyway.

So I wound up with a car which was no longer shiny and was covered in splotchy marks. They were very apologetic and then spent half an hour frantically hand polishing it, which made it slightly less dull but still covered in splotches. Not amused.

That's the third time they've done that now...suffice to say I won't be darkening their door again. Ever. I usually try to do this sort of thing myself...but if I don't have time it will be Magic Hand over by Tongwell who will get my business. They have never failed to follow my instructions - and in fact the first time I was there specific said to me before I even got to the front of the queue that they wouldn't be using any of the stronger chemicals because it would dull my paintwork.

At least they didn't do a bad job of the interior.

Next step: digging all the bits of Lada out the garage and from out back.

Couple of things I've not been able to find and I'll need to send on later, but the vast majority of things are now in the car.

So she's about as ready as she's going to be. 0800 tomorrow we'll be fuelling up then heading north.

I'll miss this car, I know that.

What's going to replace it I wonder...
Old Jan 8 2020, 07:51 PM   #5192
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

WE HAVE HEAT!!!! I'm a happy camper.

Old Jan 8 2020, 09:26 PM   #5193
Zelandeth

Today was new car collection day. My destination was roughly 160 miles away, so a nice little run without being too much of a slog.

First order of business was of course fuelling up, for the last time. I'll miss the comedy lack of damping of this gauge. With half a tank the reading could vary between off-scale full or having the warning light on depending on which direction you were turning.

Breakfast was then consumed and we set off. Did take a quick break to grab a drink at Norton Canes Services, and took the opportunity to snap a last photo of the Lada sticking out like a sore thumb in a modern car park.

Little bit later and we found ourselves in an unassuming little back street, where I had a lovely chat with a gent I know from one of the other forums I'm on and handed him the keys to my Lada. Oh, and goodness only knows how many spares that I crammed into the back of it yesterday.

I will definitely miss that car, it definitely will be up there on the list of favourites.

I drove away in something rather different though...in many ways...many, many ways.

Which rather narrows things down doesn't it?

Yep...I've gone and taken leave of my senses!

There were a couple of points of concern. The first was that she hasn't had a decent run in forever, had been sitting in a damp garage for the last three months, and was running on fumes. Thanks to the first few points she was running on what sounded like about seven and a half cylinders. I had a feeling though that she would clear up once warmed up properly and able to clear her throat so to speak.

First step though was to very carefully limp to a fuel station as economically as possible and fuel up.

Turns out I probably wasn't running on fumes as the gauge appears to be a little on the pessimistic side.

My theory that we were facing a combination of fouled up plugs and a damp ignition system seemed to be on the money, as after ten or fifteen minutes once we got onto the motorway she smoothed out. Obviously I'll need to see if that remains so when next started up from cold...but I reckon she'll be fine. Ignition system service will definitely be on the to do list anyhow though.

Back home a few hours and 180 miles later, she was running really sweet.

I also made a quick run round to our local Shell fuell station to throw some V-Power fuel in. Running the numbers from the trip home showed an economy figure of 18.7MPG. Given she was running horribly for a portion of that and we had a fair bit of stop start traffic on the M1 that's actually better than I expected. If I can keep my average in the high teens I'll be very happy...though around here I'm not expecting it! MK is just murder on fuel economy, and there's really not much you can do about it.

Safely home.

Fun fact: Photographing a black car after dark is really hard.

The important details.

Original stereo still fitted which is nice to see, though the speakers have been upgraded at some point.

The lamp which provides illumination of everything aside from the instruments, trip computer and gear selector via fibre optics is obviously in need of replacement as it barely manages to provide a feeble glow - though they're not the most effective at the best of times.

Dash lighting is just fine at least.

Speaking of the instruments...I was surprised to see that the indicator lamp on the dash for the rear window demister is green...know that was quite common back in the 60s and 70s, but surprised to see it on a car from 1985 in green rather than amber.

For all they have their drawbacks it's hard to deny that Jaguar used to make some incredibly inviting interiors...

Also it has to be noted that I love the camera on this phone. That was taken completely freehand.

Observations.

[] Drives far, far better than expected for a 30+ year old Jag which has actually been used rather than pampered every day of its life. Absolutely no knocks or clonks from anywhere in the suspension etc.

[] Judder when braking (noted by former keeper), suspect a flat on the brake discs from when the car was standing around a couple of years back.

[] Electric mirrors refuse to adjust (noted by former keeper), suspect dirty switch contacts.

[] Air conditioning disabled (noted by former keeper) due to the clutch on the compressor pulley failing.

[] Veneer on most of the interior wood needs refinishing (been wanting to try to do that for years!).

[] Cruise control doesn't work.

[] Windscreen wiper blades need replacing as a matter of urgency.

[] Interior is a bit musty courtesy of spending months in a damp garage.

[] Exhaust was knocking against the underbody when we started out, but it cut it out once the misfire sorted itself out.

[] Tyres aren't the best.

[] Needs a thorough clean inside and out.

Very happy. Very, very happy.

Really looking forward to getting stuck into things tomorrow and getting to see if properly in daylight and get to know the car a bit better.

I'd originally been planning this to be a way to scratch the itch for a Jag which has been there since I spent a while driving the dark green one here.

Not really intending it to become a long term resident...however can already see it getting under my skin.

It just feels exceedingly special...
Old Jan 8 2020, 09:50 PM   #5194
SpaceCowboy
Jewel Junk

Oh that is just tooooo sweeet to quote a 1990's era wrestling group. And in many ways it seems to me that that trade of vehicles was almost like highway robbery. However that is one nice car you wound up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post
Today was new car collection day. My destination was roughly 160 miles away, so a nice little run without being too much of a slog.

First order of business was of course fuelling up, for the last time. I'll miss the comedy lack of damping of this gauge. With half a tank the reading could vary between off-scale full or having the warning light on depending on which direction you were turning.

Breakfast was then consumed and we set off. Did take a quick break to grab a drink at Norton Canes Services, and took the opportunity to snap a last photo of the Lada sticking out like a sore thumb in a modern car park.

Little bit later and we found ourselves in an unassuming little back street, where I had a lovely chat with a gent I know from one of the other forums I'm on and handed him the keys to my Lada. Oh, and goodness only knows how many spares that I crammed into the back of it yesterday.

I will definitely miss that car, it definitely will be up there on the list of favourites.

I drove away in something rather different though...in many ways...many, many ways.

Which rather narrows things down doesn't it?

Yep...I've gone and taken leave of my senses!

There were a couple of points of concern. The first was that she hasn't had a decent run in forever, had been sitting in a damp garage for the last three months, and was running on fumes. Thanks to the first few points she was running on what sounded like about seven and a half cylinders. I had a feeling though that she would clear up once warmed up properly and able to clear her throat so to speak.

First step though was to very carefully limp to a fuel station as economically as possible and fuel up.

Turns out I probably wasn't running on fumes as the gauge appears to be a little on the pessimistic side.

My theory that we were facing a combination of fouled up plugs and a damp ignition system seemed to be on the money, as after ten or fifteen minutes once we got onto the motorway she smoothed out. Obviously I'll need to see if that remains so when next started up from cold...but I reckon she'll be fine. Ignition system service will definitely be on the to do list anyhow though.

Back home a few hours and 180 miles later, she was running really sweet.

I also made a quick run round to our local Shell fuell station to throw some V-Power fuel in. Running the numbers from the trip home showed an economy figure of 18.7MPG. Given she was running horribly for a portion of that and we had a fair bit of stop start traffic on the M1 that's actually better than I expected. If I can keep my average in the high teens I'll be very happy...though around here I'm not expecting it! MK is just murder on fuel economy, and there's really not much you can do about it.

Safely home.

Fun fact: Photographing a black car after dark is really hard.

The important details.

Original stereo still fitted which is nice to see, though the speakers have been upgraded at some point.

The lamp which provides illumination of everything aside from the instruments, trip computer and gear selector via fibre optics is obviously in need of replacement as it barely manages to provide a feeble glow - though they're not the most effective at the best of times.

Dash lighting is just fine at least.

Speaking of the instruments...I was surprised to see that the indicator lamp on the dash for the rear window demister is green...know that was quite common back in the 60s and 70s, but surprised to see it on a car from 1985 in green rather than amber.

For all they have their drawbacks it's hard to deny that Jaguar used to make some incredibly inviting interiors...

Also it has to be noted that I love the camera on this phone. That was taken completely freehand.

Observations.

[] Drives far, far better than expected for a 30+ year old Jag which has actually been used rather than pampered every day of its life. Absolutely no knocks or clonks from anywhere in the suspension etc.

[] Judder when braking (noted by former keeper), suspect a flat on the brake discs from when the car was standing around a couple of years back.

[] Electric mirrors refuse to adjust (noted by former keeper), suspect dirty switch contacts.

[] Air conditioning disabled (noted by former keeper) due to the clutch on the compressor pulley failing.

[] Veneer on most of the interior wood needs refinishing (been wanting to try to do that for years!).

[] Cruise control doesn't work.

[] Windscreen wiper blades need replacing as a matter of urgency.

[] Interior is a bit musty courtesy of spending months in a damp garage.

[] Exhaust was knocking against the underbody when we started out, but it cut it out once the misfire sorted itself out.

[] Tyres aren't the best.

[] Needs a thorough clean inside and out.

Very happy. Very, very happy.

Really looking forward to getting stuck into things tomorrow and getting to see if properly in daylight and get to know the car a bit better.

I'd originally been planning this to be a way to scratch the itch for a Jag which has been there since I spent a while driving the dark green one here.

Not really intending it to become a long term resident...however can already see it getting under my skin.

It just feels exceedingly special...
Old Jan 9 2020, 12:03 PM   #5195
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
WE HAVE HEAT!!!! I'm a happy camper.
Great news, Maw. I'm dreading the return of hot weather because our A/C was acting up just in time for this past fall's cool temps.

Plus I think we have a fridge that's on its last legs. Actually, more like one foot in the grave and the other one slipping.
Old Jan 9 2020, 08:22 PM   #5196
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

We have working toilet(the flapper thing broke), Tahoe has new tires, tune up & oil change, heat & working washing machine. Something's wrong with the universe.

Old Jan 9 2020, 11:16 PM   #5197
Zelandeth

Got my insurance sorted out this morning, a whole £10 a year more than the Lada. Not going to complain there.

Didn't actually get a huge amount done today car wise between having to spend a huge chunk of time in the morning mopping all of the downstairs floors as one of the dogs had thrown up during the night and then walked in it about a thousand times. Lovely. Then in the afternoon after about half an hour the heavens opened.

Wasn't a total loss though, did get a couple of things done.

Yesterday the clock being wrong was driving me round the twist. I am somewhat autistic and have borderline OCD where things like that are concerned. After far more random jabbing of buttons than it really should have taken (eventually doing exactly the same thing I'm sure I tried twice yesterday!) I got it sorted.

For future reference, you hold down reset while pressing the buttons with the secondary markings for hours and minutes. Still surprises me that the lights in the actual buttons of the trip computer are incandescent lamps, figured they would be green LEDs, even this far back.

Conditioning the leather was next up. It was definitely in dire need of it. Usually with this stuff you apply it, wait ten minutes then buff off any excess. That step wasn't really necessary as it virtually all absorbed immediately. I'll basically keep repeating this daily until it stops drinking the stuff!

Gave the plastics a quick wipe down too, then cleaned the windows so I could actually see out of it. They had acquired that horrible grey film that cars in storage always seem to which made driving at night downright unnerving.

While the seats and door cards in particular still need a deep clean, it looks a lot better. I'm prioritising preservation of the condition of the leather over making it pretty at this stage.

It's definitely an "occasional" four seater, though is far better than the Audi TT my housemate currently has in which it is honestly impossible to fit a human being more than three years old in the back seat. I have a hilarious photo of my husband trying to fit in the back of the one he had a couple of years ago. Biggest challenge with the rear seat in the XJ-S is actually getting out! My back doesn't bend especially well and my spine is taller than the door aperture is tall! So I sort of have to reverse out on hands and knees...not graceful! Thankfully it's not so bad from in the front.

While I was outside I was able to shuffle cars around a bit and confirm that there is *just* enough space to get the Jag actually on the drive behind the van and still open the garage door. Long car is long. This was of course an excuse to grab a couple of extra photos in actual daylight.

This was before I moved the van the last 6" or so forward, but I can actually get it in without the tail end sticking out of the drive. Seeing this on the drive I have a feeling will take a long while to get old...even when it's bleeding me dry through repair and fuel costs.

That will look so much better for a really thorough polish and wax I think.

Last task I got to today was grabbing a fresh set of windscreen wiper blades to replace the ones on the car which were beyond useless. Much better now.

Being able to see where you're going is a bonus. Speaking of that, I've put three dessicant packs in the car today to hopefully draw some of the moisture out of the interior. I don't *think* I have a water ingress issue, more it's just sat for the last three months in a garage with a known damp issue. Hopefully that will clear up pretty quick.

I was very pleased when I went to run out to grab a few things today that she started first touch, running on all cylinders. So yesterday's poor running does appear to be a result of disuse, damp and stale fuel.

I enjoy a few of the details of this car which while feeling somewhat futuristic in some aspects, show the age of the design. For instance the light on the dash to indicate a fault logged by the fuel injection system clearly predates the common symbol for the "check engine" light we're used to these days...and it would be tricky to fit some text like that into the tiny 1/2" square warning lights...so the "lightning bolt" signifying an electronic issue is used instead.

Silly little things like that interest me far more than they probably should.

Hopefully the weather might be better tomorrow so I can at least get a few decent photos! So far I've only managed in the dark, drizzle or poorly parked in a supermarket car park. I need to do better.
Old Jan 10 2020, 08:27 AM   #5198
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

At parking in the supermarket? You should have had enough practice by now.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10 2020, 11:28 AM   #5199
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
We have working toilet(the flapper thing broke), Tahoe has new tires, tune up & oil change, heat & working washing machine. Something's wrong with the universe.
Just so you're aware, there's a corollary of Murphy's Law to cover this sort of situation:
"Any time you talk about something, if it's good it goes away and if it's bad it happens."

Zelandeth, you're "a little OCD" about some things? I would have never guessed! (Insert eye-rolling emoji here.)

I'm a bit jealous of your new toy, I'll have you know. I have a bit of a crush on Jaguars, both the cars and their namesake animal. Love the British pronunciation "Jag-you-are", versus our "Jag-war". But I recall the trouble they had with that V-12 here. Total failure, as I recall. Didn't they put it in the E-type? I do remember that the most common solution to all the sedan's problems with it was to swap in a Chevrolet V-8, and redo the electronics to make it work. But that was probably just the American way of getting around parts supply problems and the "stodgy British way" of refusing to admit there was a major problem and pressing on.

Sort of like the British bikes. My first motorcycle was a 1968 Triumph TR250. That was the replacement for Triumph's 200 Cub. Since Triumph and BSA had merged, it was a different-looking BSA 250 motor. This was at the time of the beginning of the Japanese invasion. Triumph came out with the Trident and BSA, the Rocket 3, both 750 CC 3 cylinder machines, both great machines. Norton was still the Great British Bike. Then Honda introduced the 750 4 cylinder bike, which had electric start, and the steel company that had acquired Norton bought Triumph/BSA. BSA was discontinued, Triumph 2-cylinder machines went from 650cc to 750cc and Nortons jumped from 750cc to 850cc. But most everybody had by this time lost interest in them in favor of Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki. It didn't help that the Brits were still using Whitworth nuts, bolts, and tools on their bikes, which was totally FUBAR. At least we knew WTF metric tools were.

The final straw was probably when the US decided that it was too confusing to have some motorcycles shift on the left ( Triumph, BSA, Norton, Royal Enfield, and Harley Sportster) and some on the right (everything Japanese and the big Harley Davidsons) and passed a law that all bikes sold in the US would now have to shift on the left and brake on the right. Royal Enfield simply quit selling bikes in the US. Triumph and Norton converted, but faded out of sight, and the Sportster went through some awkward adaptations for a couple of years until they redesigned their gearbox.

Anyway, I hope your Jag gives you no major headaches. Good looking car. But I REALLY like the old Jags. Like, earlier than the E-type.

Now Triumph has made a comeback or sorts over here, with some rather unconventional bikes. But nothing like the old Bonneville, Trophy, and Tiger models.

Last edited by Allen; Jan 10 2020 at 12:15 PM.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10 2020, 09:11 PM   #5200
Zelandeth

Had precisely zero time to do anything practical today. I did manage to snap a few better photos while on the way home from running a couple of errands though, and grabbed a couple of videos while en route. Was getting tired of not having any decent shots to show anyone of such a good looking car.

Here we go. This car park is very useful for this purpose - even if the sun being so low was a little awkward.

Quite the menacing front end to see in your mirrors chasing you down...

Though realistically...this is what you'll most likely see. Briefly, before it disappears into the distance anyway.

Will obviously have to retake these once she's been properly polished and waxed.

The photos do flatter the car a bit, she's a ten footer really. There's been a respray done at some point which is neither fantastic nor terrible. There are a few imperfections (mainly some runs in awkward areas).

Here are a few random closer photos, showing areas where I seem to recall rot being an issue on some cars.

Offside front wing.

Offside rear wheel arch. This has been dubbed back, treated with Vactan and then drowned in Dinitrol or similar by the previous keeper with the aim of stopping it from rusting any worse until it could be tackled properly. Can't really fault the logic there.

Rear screen surround. Could see this being an utter nightmare to sort it there was any serious rust here. Thankfully doesn't seem to be much beyond a few spots.

This is one of the areas of less than perfect paint. Not sure if there's a rust bubble under here or if it's been a reaction with the original paint. It's solid and not crunchy at least.

Couple of tiny blemishes by the screen surround.

Nearside front wing.

Nearside door handle needs some help.

Nearside rear arch is pretty much identical to the offside one.

Wheels have a couple of small blemishes but are in astonishingly good shape to be honest.

So she's no concourse winner, but is absolutely presentable I think and will clean up lovely with a bit of elbow grease.

Sounds healthy enough and drives well though.

When collected from the previous owner she was obviously struggling a bit, running on about seven and a half cylinders. How about now? Well see for yourself.

Cold Start YouTube Video

Short onboard driving video

Aside from the brake judder, not too bad at all.