A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Mar 3 2009, 11:48 PM   #81
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Default Re: F'lar

I never thought of it that way, but you're so right! I thiknk that it's very difficult to strike a balance between describing too much and not enough. One of Anne's major strengths as a writer is her characters, like you say, maybe she's "deliberately vague".Her characters are very real to her, and then she makes them reaL to us.

When I'm editing someone else's writing, I almost always say to describe more. I'm a very visual person- I'm sure it gets annoying, all this questioning, "Well what color are his eyes?" "What does klah smell like?" In my own writing I have to remember to add enough description, too- I can see my own stories and characters so clearly, but can the reader?

One thing that I would like to see more of in Anne's books is more description of the wonderful worlds she creates. Not neccessarily visual description, just using all the senses.
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4 2009, 12:56 AM   #82
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
An author friend of mine says he's deliberately vague, beyond "important details" (red-gold hair and green eyes with a "dancer's build", in the case we were talking of) on things like face shape, lots of details about nose and mouth and such, so that people can just imagine what they like.

And then when it comes to filming the movie etc, the director doesn't have to go with a particular look because he/she has a wider choice to pick from

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4 2009, 12:56 AM   #83
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Sorry Weyrlady...but to me and quite a few others...Anne's most wonderful strength in writing is in her sensory as well as visual discriptions of her worlds and her characters.
I know exactly what the smell of Klah is...cinnamon mixed with dark chocolate along with nut like wood smell. Gather bubbly pies smell like blueberries, blackberries and sweet dark plums all cooked together with a flakey crip crust that smells of flour and butter.
We all have read what her characters look like...its just we all see so much, so clearly...thats why we are having such a difficult time coming up with the right ones. If they were so vague...we would all be able to settle easily on the one that came close.
To me Anne writes so clearly and well that you can smell the grass, and fell the water in Robintons cove lapping gently over you. You can feel the breezes of the bitter cold when you are hitching a ride on the back of a friendlly dragon. And I don't know about you...but I have actually gagged on the rank smell of a dragon's breath, after he has been chewing firestone. Anne vague...never to me, in my mind

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4 2009, 01:11 AM   #84
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanen View Post
Lady Maelin, what a fabulous portrait! (OK, I admit I'm rather sweet on Clive Owen myself.) As to whether he'd be a good F'lar or not, or looks like my idea of F'lar - alas, as I don't *have* an idea of what F'lar looks like in my head, I can't comment! F'lar was somehow always more a presence for me than a carefully described person - a good writer's trick, that. If you describe how the person makes you *feel* and keep the physical description sketchy, your readers can put any face to it they want, hence our divided opinions.

That said - your work is terrific! You are so wildly talented, lady. Another triumph, this.

Cheers,

Lanen
Thank you dear friend for the lovely compliment...
For me F'lar was discribed very well...both in personality and in looks. He is tall... dark haired, amber eyed, and thin of face. Strong heavy brows and a straight high bridged nose. Well defined wide thin lips and a strong jaw. More or less of these type discriptions are spread out all over Anne's Pern stories. She also does have a way of giving you the incredible presence of the character...where you almost feel them...instead of see them..so half of me would definitely agree with you. Perhaps I have read the Pern books so many times...I have developed a face in my head over all these years.
Clive Owen isn't my vision of F'lar exactly either...but like I said that drawing was done more as a *lets see what he looks like*quick sketch instead of a true portrait. Clive is certainly dreamy, and might do a fantastic job in the part of F'lar for the movie...but the F'lar I still see in my head is somewhat different from this drawing.

As for being able to discribe a character. so well...yours are still dancing happily around in my head...and I can see them so very clearly. Someday I will want to put them down with pencil and paper as well.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Mar 5 2009, 12:45 AM   #85
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post

Hugh Jackman

And if you wanted to do a F'lar and Lessa together, there would be at least one young lady on the board that would like Hugh and Kate Beckinsale.

GH
Man, I get caught up in school, and it's only when I practically kill myself and get sick and confined to bed that I stumble on this. Never the less...

*stealstealhoarddelightsinpictureshoards*

(I have to agree these days though, maybe Kate's a bit too full-figured for Lessa...and Lin, F'lar is excellent, but his fringe isn't floppin' in his eyes! )

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5 2009, 01:20 AM   #86
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hello there Sammy Girl...I am sorry that you've been so ill. I will be very happy to hear that you are back on your feet again...and more able to cause a bit of your well know trouble.

I am glad that you enjoyed this first quick sketch of F'lar...from the many, many comments here I now know he needs quite a bit of work to look more like F'lar.

I do have a much better idea now though, of what I'm after for F'lar...but that will take a bit of doing before I can put up another drawing of F'lar, that I will be able to say *Now, this is F'lar...at least to me* !!! Hopefully with that one...others will think so too. I'll let you know what the new one is finished....so you can drool on it.

Old Mar 6 2009, 08:57 PM   #87
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

I've found another actor that has looks that fall within the range of F'lar. His name is Jeff McCarthy. He played Roga Danar in an episode of ST:TNG (The Hunted).

He'd be too old to play F'lar now, but he was the correct age in 1990. Interesting that a younger looking James Cromwell was in this same episode. Someone that many people have suggested for Robinton.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7 2009, 02:04 AM   #88
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

GHarris...I've seen him before on STNG. He does have a good look to him... in my opinion he is a bit fleshy in the fave for what Anne has described as F'lar looking. But I might just have to find a spot for Mr. Jeff McCarthy as a prominent dragonrider. Thank you for finding this photo and sharing it.

James Cromwell is pretty good for Robinton in a movie...but for a portrait, thats where I do actually see Robin Woods beautiful drawing as being just perfect. Someday I will do one of him for my Pern wall...but not until I have a few others up there to greet him.

Old Mar 7 2009, 04:07 PM   #89
GHarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
GHarris...I've seen him before on STNG. He does have a good look to him... in my opinion he is a bit fleshy in the fave for what Anne has described as F'lar looking. But I might just have to find a spot for Mr. Jeff McCarthy as a prominent dragonrider. Thank you for finding this photo and sharing it.
I've got two more men for you that have an exotic look to them.

Rufus Sewell, who is probabaly best known for his role in A Knight's Tale as Heath Leger's antagonist.

Alexander Siddig, who is best know for playing Dr. Bashir in STS9, and more recently in Syriana.

GH
Old Mar 7 2009, 10:34 PM   #90
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh I like both of them...but mostly I really like Alexander Siddig. I have seen him many things and recently he was in *Kindom of Heaven* and was outstanding. He has a very hansome but also interesting look to him.

As for Rufus Sewell, I saw him also recently, in *The Holiday* he also played an antagonist of sorts...he was the cheating...erm...kind'a sort'a boyfriend. I could actually see him a being Lord Meron, he would do an excellent job of it too. Thank you so much for finding more faces for me...and such good candidates for Pern as well.

Old Mar 8 2009, 11:07 AM   #91
GHarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Thank you so much for finding more faces for me...and such good candidates for Pern as well.
No problem. I want to see what a portrait of F'lar that you're as happy with as Lessa looks like.

Here's another exotic look: Oded Fehr, who is best known for his work in The Mummy.

GH
Old Mar 8 2009, 09:57 PM   #92
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Now your talking... GHarris...I have him very high on my list for F'lar. I love him, he is a fantastic actor and in my opinion has a very commanding manner like F'lar has in the books. I would gladly follow him anywhere on Pern.

Old Feb 5 2010, 01:55 AM   #93
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

nice and
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2010, 02:08 AM   #94
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

Oded Fehr's a good suggestion!

I think Sewell might make a better Meron.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Feb 5 2010 at 02:11 AM. Reason: add
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2010, 02:25 AM   #95
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragongirl View Post
Man, I get caught up in school, and it's only when I practically kill myself and get sick and confined to bed that I stumble on this. Never the less...

*stealstealhoarddelightsinpictureshoards*

(I have to agree these days though, maybe Kate's a bit too full-figured for Lessa...and Lin, F'lar is excellent, but his fringe isn't floppin' in his eyes! )
IIRC, Lessa's described as tiny (height and bulk wise) but not lacking in feminine endowment. Biggest problem is Beckinsale's too tall for Lessa, but as she's one of the top three best looking women in the public eye on my list I'd overlook it...of course, I might be just a teensy bit biased...

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Feb 5 2010 at 02:26 AM. Reason: edit
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2010, 03:44 PM   #96
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

GHarris, where are you finding all the photos of various hot guys? They add to enjoyment :-)

While I definitely agree that Ms. McCaffrey does a wonderful job of giving her reader a wonderful sense of who her characters are (which is something that any writer of fiction could learn from!), I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with you on the description end of things. I'd just like to see more of it, is all. I want her to use all 5 (or more) senses on Pern and muck around there, and I want to be there, too! I already am there, and I tend to get stuck there, but I just think that more sensory discription would be awesome.

I thought of character that 'this guy' could be (if he's not F'lar), but I'm a little afraid to post it!
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote