A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Aug 14 2008, 01:10 PM   #1
sjslack
Inactive

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual
Default Sense of Pride (Marks)

Ok, since that chap put some of their home-made Marks up on Ebay, I've been twitching to do some new ones to prove to myself that I can still do them...and hopefully better than they did. (Arrogant I know, apologies).

So i had a go...I took a plunge and decided to do the circles freehand instead of indented, and I've changed the wood from Pine to Beech. (I found it was much better to work with.)

Here's the results...The pyrography looks fairly clean, which I'm rather pleased about. Opinions and critiques please.

I also know of one or two people who have asked me for some. Basically, I charge 'at cost'. The bare minimum I can get away with without my grandparents lynching me. So I'm selling these new marks for £1 each, plus P&P. If people want some, I /really/ need to know which craft (I can do any) and what denominations.

That reminds me...the stencils I made were done with cardboard...which means they'll need replacing...So this time I'm doing it in some thin-ish plastic so they'll take more wear.
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Brighid
Dragonrider

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: History of Tea
Default Re: Sense of Pride (Marks)

Those are fantastic....I never really gave marks much thought beyond ok, money. So, are they two sided? craft hall on one side then the denomination on the other?
Brighid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2008, 01:23 PM   #3
sjslack
Inactive

-Nods- Yup. The one in the middle has the WoodSmith mark on the other side. ^_^
Old Aug 14 2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

These new marks are FANTASTIC looking...I would love to have one each of the new ones...P L E A S E.

I just had a brillant thought...I know its not in the official records...buuutttt... what would you think about creating an *Artist Hall* mark. I'm sure they had to have some of their very own too. You know me I really love having *one of a kind pieces of ARTWORK*!!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

Oh, that puts me in mind as well. What about a "Thread crafter" mark? I know we have several serious "needle and thread" folks around here!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2008, 03:34 PM   #6
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

They're beautiful! And beech is prettier than pine.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2008, 03:44 PM   #7
sjslack
Inactive

Lady Maelin - As I've said, I'm not the best at drawing...but I'll see what I can design and come up with for you. ^^ As to having one each of the new ones...read below.

Cilla - Thread-Crafter is on my list of stencils to make.

Granath - Thank you...and I very much agree. Beech and Yew are probably my two favourite woods to work with.

-----

In terms of Stencils being made from plastic...(I'm making them by hand, and boy does my index finger ache from pressing down hard with my scalpel!)... this is the list...As you see, only one or two have been missed.

StarSmith - (Done)
Smith - (Done)
Harper - (Done)
Miner
Fisher
Scribe
Healer
Vintner
Weaver
Tailor
Trader
Tanner
Beastcrafter
Woodsmith
Farmer
Technician
Papermaker
Plasticmaker
Dolphin

...and then of course, you have 10 different denominations. (100 / 10 / 5 / 2 / 1 / -2 / -4 / -8 / -16 / -32)

So if someone wanted an /entire/ set of Marks...that's 190 Marks!
Old Aug 14 2008, 04:45 PM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

They look good, Sara. The pyrography is top, the only thing bothering me is the colour on the wood or the orangey spots that appear. Is that real or a trick of light/flash maybe?

Could you varnish/coat them to make the wood grain come out a little more?

Uh... I don't think I'll be ordering a full set

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2008, 06:30 PM   #9
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide
Big Grin Re: Sense of Pride (Marks)

Those are great!! They look very professional. I would sure like some, could we get a quote for America? I would gladly pay you for your time as well as the cost + shipping.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2008, 07:03 PM   #10
sjslack
Inactive

Well, they don't weigh much so I can't see it costing more than a couple of pounds to ship overseas. In fact, it'd probably only be around £1.50 to £2 to do so.
Old Aug 14 2008, 10:39 PM   #11
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

They look great! Some time in the future I would love a set of dolphins. Have you made a set for dragon riders. I did not see them listed. Would the all use the same set or would each weyr have thier own?

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2008, 11:45 PM   #12
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

They are great!

Well I can think of something related to marks. F'lessen used Benden Marks at the Turnover at Landing in the Skies of Perns, for the wine. If that is any help. I would love to get at set. But I first have take care of some supplies I am going to be needing. For my school work.

Wyer Marks, hmm I could's say. But they do use hold/craft marks to paid for things.

I just had a idea what about runners do they have their own mark? Or would they use something like a harpercaft mark. For they say running a message cost -32 of a mark.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15 2008, 10:33 AM   #13
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I think I'd like a full set of the Dolphin one if possible, please. Maybe also a full set of the Weaver ones (for those wondering, please see http://forums.srellim.org/showthread...highlight=jube - yes I'm one of them who can sort of do it). Thanks.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15 2008, 12:09 PM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Sara, I would be extremely happy to help you design one for the *Artist Craft*even though it won't be as official as the other, [well...as I write this, I've already done a quick one]...and if you do make them up, I would love to have a whole set of them, as that would make it well worth your while to make a stencil for them, hopefully. Weeeelll as for the rest, I do already have five of the other crafts...[signed of course by the artist]...but I will most certainly pick out a few of the others that I would also love to have one each of.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Aug 16 2008, 03:10 AM   #15
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

I was of the notion (sewer's pun) that the painters were a branch of the Harper Hall since most traveled, they could keep their eyes and ears open to send news back to the Masterharper . . . .
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2008, 04:44 AM   #16
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Well that depend on what type of drawing done. The more onces that did drafting could have end up in the Smithcrafthall. I recall part of Dragonseye/The Red Star Rising when a drawing of the star stone got the eye of the head of that craft. Or drafting maps for the Fishcrafthall?
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 16 2008, 01:59 PM   #17
sjslack
Inactive

I don't think I've used the lathe as much as I have over the past two days. -Chuckles- I really need to buy some moisturiser for my hands before they dry out completely. xD

Currently, I'm making the blanks. I need PM's regarding what is wanted and where to end them to. I'm afraid I can only accept paypal. >.>;;
Old Aug 17 2008, 02:16 AM   #18
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Sorry to hear about your hands. But I think I have a link to paypal, I well have to check and get back to you.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 17 2008, 03:18 AM   #19
Brenda

These are lovely!

I do think that artists would be under the Harper Hall, and that if "thread crafting" is referring to spinning, that is, making the thread, that would be under the Weavercraft Hall. If it's referring to embroidery... I doubt there's any official crafthall, so it would probably go under weavers as well. Hmmm, I guess that would be a loom... that might be tricky to get down to a simple image!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2008, 07:16 AM   #20
sjslack
Inactive

Brenda - There's a Tailorcraft that has the image of a needle and thread. ^_^ The Weavercraft is actually something I've done before, it's a roll of material.
Old Aug 17 2008, 10:20 AM   #21
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

From Dragonseye we see that artists are not part of another craft like Harpers, but their own independent craft. For a badge for them, perhaps a palate and paintbrush would work.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2008, 10:22 AM   #22
sjslack
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
They look good, Sara. The pyrography is top, the only thing bothering me is the colour on the wood or the orangey spots that appear. Is that real or a trick of light/flash maybe?

Could you varnish/coat them to make the wood grain come out a little more?

Uh... I don't think I'll be ordering a full set
Sorry for not replying to this question sooner, Hans.

Because I'm going across the grain and not with it. (Makes for a better finish that way) the orange spots do appear, but they're not as prominent when you see the Marks up close as they appear in that picture, and these are from a different piece of beech to the other Marks I'll be doing, so they'll differ from Mark to Mark. ^^
Old Aug 17 2008, 12:27 PM   #23
Brenda

Ah, tailorcraft makes sense - although embroidery is distinctly different from sewing, it would fit there better than the weavers!
Old Aug 17 2008, 07:16 PM   #24
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
From Dragonseye we see that artists are not part of another craft like Harpers, but their own independent craft. For a badge for them, perhaps a palate and paintbrush would work.
Cheryl...That was exactly what Sara and I both came up with, when we dicussed recently what should be the symbol on the *Artist Craft* marks...seems that great minds really do think alike

Old Aug 18 2008, 01:34 AM   #25
Sandi

Those are beautiful Sara! I don't think you need to worry too much about that ebayer. One question I can't seem to keep myself from asking, though. Have you cleared the business of selling them with Anne? I would hate to see such an innocent undertaking take on any unfortunate side effects.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18 2008, 04:13 AM   #26
Hans
Master Archivist

I don't think that'll be any problem, Sandi, it's not like Sara is setting up shop commercially. And I personally think there actually isn't a copyright issue.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Aug 18 2008, 07:53 AM   #27
sjslack
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
Those are beautiful Sara! I don't think you need to worry too much about that ebayer. One question I can't seem to keep myself from asking, though. Have you cleared the business of selling them with Anne? I would hate to see such an innocent undertaking take on any unfortunate side effects.
That did cross my mind, but Anne has some herself, and as I keep saying...I'm doing these purely at the cost of the wood and electricity and such. If anything I'm making a loss on them because of the time involved. (Around half an hour per Mark).
Old Aug 18 2008, 09:34 AM   #28
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Cheryl...That was exactly what Sara and I both came up with, when we dicussed recently what should be the symbol on the *Artist Craft* marks...seems that great minds really do think alike
Well, it is the most obvious choice for a symbol. I would question whether there actually is such a thing as an Artist Craft Mark, however. Since the artist craft is comprised of individual Masters running their own Halls with no cental authority over all the Crafters, I'm not sure any of them would be allowed to issue marks. If they were, each individual Hall ought to have it's own marks, as the redemption value would vary from Hall to Hall.
Old Aug 18 2008, 10:51 PM   #29
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Well in the Dragonlover's Guide to Pern they show a Scriber: a quill on a Hold, Craft, or Weyr badge

Artist Craft paint brush and palate for those who do that form

A lump of clay and a potter wheel, or a carving tool with a hammer or a specal saw?

Just a few that crossed my mind as I was reading posts.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 19 2008, 01:03 AM   #30
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cheryl...Each craft hall has individual masters...but they all look to a central hall where they were taught their trade...like at Hall Domaize,for artist. So I would expect that like at the Harper Hall, Harper would have their own marks representing them...the artist marks would be similar to the Harper marks, only they would be issued for artist.

Old Aug 19 2008, 09:23 AM   #31
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Domaize was one of several, independent Art Masters. He didn't look to anyone else, and none of the others looked to him. At least that was the strong impression I had from DEye.
Old Aug 19 2008, 10:27 AM   #32
Hans
Master Archivist

I was under the same Impression in general, Cheryl. However, since the Artist Halls (I seem to remember an Artist Hall also had designers, architects etc. under their wings) existed while the Harper Hall was still College.

Curious that the "artists" et al had Halls before the "Harpers/Teachers" did? Maybe they, being of the artistic kind, invented the Hall "system"?

Anyway, they will/should have ties to College/Harper Hall because the old Pern College construction probably was like a Terran University (old style/Second Terran Millennium) in which all studies were united until extreme specialition took place. I see the Artist Hall as a middle situation between College en the practical apprentice/journeyman system that was later exploited in the system of Crafthalls and maybe the first exponent of that system.

Old Aug 19 2008, 06:17 PM   #33
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

I wel check and get back to you. Right now I need to order, some school and work supplies. I don't know yet what I would like.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 19 2008, 07:02 PM   #34
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cheryl and Hans...I am sorry but I strongly have to disagree with you both.

I don't believe that artist would have been included within the Harper Hall.

I do believe however, even though the main Artist Hall, it isn't mentioned exactly in the books it does exist. A well as many other obviously much needed/or wanted craft halls, that also weren't mentioned in the books, do exist on Pern.
I believe at this [unmentioned] main artist hall the individual talents of each artist would have been evaluated and develped to enough of a degree that they could contine learning at other halls, that would specialized in the artist chosen field.
I believe that different wants and talents would bring about a need for several such specializing Halls as Hall Domaize was, teaching the specialized art of portrait painting, mural painting , artistic designs for all maner of use on Pern, sulpture and decorative pottery and or jewelery...etc. I believe that any type of artistic speciality would/could be taught for any length of time needed, before going out on their own plying their trades around Pern.
This is why I truly believe that an artist Hall, like any other masters hall, would have its own marks.

Old Aug 27 2008, 05:50 PM   #35
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

I just caught up with this thread. The new marks look great -much better than those others being sold on Ebay. Don't forget to include the cost of the hand cream in the price .
Old Aug 27 2008, 09:18 PM   #36
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Methinks it's time to do a topic split for the posts discussing the artist crafthalls.

*on the ToDo list for when her brain is more awake*
Old Aug 28 2008, 12:46 AM   #37
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
I just caught up with this thread. The new marks look great -much better than those others being sold on Ebay. Don't forget to include the cost of the hand cream in the price .
Too True there SteveB

I have to get some work/schoo/home supplies, I have to set up Paypal yet, I don't have the spare cash to add to it yet.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 28 2008, 12:51 AM   #38
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Now I'm stumped - there is an artist and his name starts with P which I can't think off at the moment but he was mentioned as producing very like impressions of people, in much the same way that Lady Maelin does. Hhmmm ponders on who it is?

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 28 2008, 01:07 PM   #39
Brenda

Perschar - first shows up in Renegades, then in AtWoP. I'm not sure about the later two books. Perschar is affiliated with the Harper Hall - goes undercover with Thella's renegades, in fact.

I get the impression from that that in the 9th pass there are few enough artists (painters/drawers, that is) that there is no separate crafthall for them. I would imagine they would have their own place in the Harper Hall. Even if they do have their own official hall, I really doubt that there would be enough of them to justify having their own set of marks going around.
Old Aug 28 2008, 10:31 PM   #40
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Thanks Brenda, I was stumped as to which book it was in, other then I knew that I had read it somewhere.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!