A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Apr 19 2006, 06:01 PM   #81
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Dragonflight
Default Re: Artwork by Maelin

I hope Maelin won't mind my spilling the beans I took prints of the two Dragonsinger pen and ink drawings with me to Dragonhold for Anne. She was thrilled to bits with them, showed them off to various other visitors during the weekend, and said she would get them framed and hung up at Dragonhold

Maelin, sorry, but your work is so good I think everyone here should know how delighted Anne was with it on her birthday
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19 2006, 09:41 PM   #82
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Wow! that's great!

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19 2006, 10:29 PM   #83
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks

Excellent, Lady M.
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19 2006, 10:56 PM   #84
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Heck, I'd gladly even put up webspace for you to put the MoM member portraits in! In that case you'de have to send them to me and I would put them on the net for you, using space I own.

That been said you shouldn't have to worry about running out of space at Photobucket because they resize files larger than about half a megabyte to that size.
Since a Gigabyte is 1,024 Megabyes.... you should be able to upload and store about almost 2000 drawings in their free account of a Gigabyte

I have said it before and I will gladly say it again, you are a "WIZZARD OF COMPUTERS" , a genius for solving problems . I don't even want to try and guess how you came up with all of those figures, I just know from you, those figures are correct .

WOW !!! two thousand drawings, thats a lot of members portraits, (wiping the sweat from my brow), I guess I had better get going, and sharpen up my speedy pencils.

So apparently,I don't have anything to worry about, so I will go about my merry way back to my art desk, and draw, draw, draw Twelve down, 1988 to go.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19 2006, 11:08 PM   #85
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

"THANK YOU ANNELI"

I was so happy that you were able to take my drawing to Anne, so that she might have them for her birthday. My deep and humble gratitude,to you for the favor you did for me.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Apr 20 2006, 08:21 AM   #86
Jax
Talent

Latent Talent

Fan of: DDawn 1st read, love all
Now Reading: MagicKingdom4salesold ArtemisF

I upgraded to premium photobucket in about September last year Maelin, and none of my links broke (I don't think LOL )
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20 2006, 11:06 AM   #87
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thank you so much for that infromation Jax, I was worried about that until Hans told me about how many pictures that I could store in the Bucket I already have.(Waves a thank you)

Old Apr 20 2006, 05:26 PM   #88
Hans
Master Archivist

LOL

I just checked and I have 330 pictures in my photobucket account (some maximum size, a lot of themsmaller) but with those 330 pics I actually am using... 2.62% of my allotted space

Maelin, I actually misinformed you. I thought photobucket set a maximum of 512Kb per picture. It turns out you can chose that maxiimum yourself, within certain limits.
If you want to upload high quality pics you could even double that to Photobucket's maximum (free account) size per pic to 1024 Kb

You can set these option in "account options" (top right hand corner, just left of log out).

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20 2006, 11:08 PM   #89
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans, Thank you so much for this great information. I have decided to leave it as it is, for right now. If I need to later, I will open another premium account.
I think that I have a ways to go before I really have to worry about it to much. 1,987.00 to go now........

Old Apr 20 2006, 11:55 PM   #90
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I realized that I had deleted this picture earlier, so now here it is again, this is the other one sent to Anne for her birthday.

I hope that you enjoy this one again.........Maelin

Old Apr 21 2006, 01:08 AM   #91
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

It's adorable! Wouldn't it be lovely if they could publish an illustrated version of the HHall books, with Lady M as illustrator? I'd buy them in a flash!
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21 2006, 03:19 PM   #92
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thank you very much Granath for the wonderful compliments, it is so nice that you like my art so much.

But they could find a professional book illustrator that could do a much better and faster job than I could.

Thanks for the thought though, it was a very kind comment.

Old Apr 21 2006, 04:21 PM   #93
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

You're pretty darn fast at all the portraits. And I don't think they could find anyone better, though perhaps equal. You'd have the advantage over most artists that you've read and loved the book, while most that get comissioned for such things don't have that opportunity.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21 2006, 04:51 PM   #94
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

If we had a Maelin as illustrator, the pictures would be nicer and actually make sense/go with the story.! Especially the Pern ones.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21 2006, 08:34 PM   #95
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons

You're not giving yourself proper credit Lady Maelin (I know we artistic types are our own worst critics) But your illustrations would be perfect.!!
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21 2006, 08:43 PM   #96
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I am not sure what to say at such overwhelming compliments for my art

It is my good fortune to have the love of her books, that is what makes it so easy to draw her characters.

Like the members who are posing for me in the pictures that they have sent to me. Anne's characters also pose for me, in the scenes from her stories as they sing and dance, fly and fight thread in my mind.

Thank you for letting me know how much you like my portraits, and other pieces of art work. I have loved doing them for you to see.

Old Apr 23 2006, 08:10 AM   #97
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Fan of: The Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: anything on my eReader
Smile Re: Artwork by Maelin

Maelin, your drawings are wonderful to look at. You have a nice style that really goes well with stories. All the portraits you have done of the members here are well done and all the nice colours brings a smile my lips. It really comes across in the pictures that you love to draw and use colours.
I used to draw a lot earlier, but I'm such a perfectionist that I always found things to improve and ind the end drawing isn't the relaxing hobby it could be for me. Now that I have time to enjoy a hobby again I turned to crochet, and have found that it suits my needs better than drawing does (since there's a limit to the improvements you can do to a crocheted piece than to a drawing).

I look forward to seeing more of you drawings posted here on MoM.
Nefermiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23 2006, 12:42 PM   #98
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thank you Nef, I have seen some of your lovely paintings on the AMCF site, I very much liked the Crystal Singer one. Very nice work.

I know what you mean about always learning more and striving to be better. I am always trying to refine, and improve my art. The portraits here are only illistrations, and not finished, framed art work.

Old Apr 23 2006, 11:47 PM   #99
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Maelin,
I love this picture of Menolly! It's perfect! You most certainly could illustrate a Pern book! You are wonderful! Methinks more than a Journeywoman for sure!!!
Old Apr 24 2006, 11:57 AM   #100
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thank you Becky, I am so glad that you like them, I did both of them long ago, when I fell in love with the Menolly's stories.

Old Apr 29 2006, 06:43 PM   #101
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

There are so many people raving about your artwork, I wasn't sure if my two cents would be appreciated.

Then, I realized that an artist can never get too much praise - especially if it's well deserved.

You are just amazing. Totally amazing. I'm surprised Faye didn't snag you for the Dragonchoice project. Maybe for DC:3, if we ever start it.

But...words. I need words. Amazing. Stupendous. Fantastic. *goes to look up words in the thesaurus. . . .*
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29 2006, 07:10 PM   #102
mattv2099
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Wizard And Glass

Agreed, Maelin's art is breath taking.

Are you a professional artist?

I think a great piece could be made of all the dragonets and dragon's singing outside Sorka's house while she is giving birth in Dragonsdawn.
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29 2006, 10:31 PM   #103
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Shalyn, Thank you very much for the very kind words, I appricate the compliments for my art work, I am glad that you have enjoyed it so much.

Old Apr 29 2006, 10:39 PM   #104
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Matt, also thank you for your praise of my art work. I think that your scene would be to large to portray for the site, but a very interesting one. Yes, I am a retired professional artist and do this just for fun and my member friends on MoM.

Old Jul 4 2006, 12:32 AM   #105
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.

What can I say Lady M? Your artwork outshines many others I have seen. There just beautiful. I hope to draw like that one day...

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4 2006, 02:03 AM   #106
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Dragongirl, Thank you for your very kind words, I have been drawing for most of my life, and that is a long time now.

Practice, practice, practice... ...you can never work on it enough, for it is always changing, as your life changes. Good luck, with your art work