A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Jan 22 2008, 11:04 PM   #41
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: 3D Madness

Well as far as I'm concerned, whatever you come up with...I'm sure of one thing...its going to look fantastic!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23 2008, 06:20 AM   #42
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I fully agree with Master Maelin

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23 2008, 11:01 AM   #43
Jayru
Inactive

Location: A cozy house in the dales of Debyshire, in little old England
Fan of: The Pern Saga
Now Reading: No time to read, am writing!

Well, when two masters speak, a humble apprentice (of which I still am in the realms of 3D art) takes notice...

Playing around with a few things, I'll post some picture links later
Jayru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24 2008, 12:54 AM   #44
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Getting to this thread a bit late, but it's fascinating!!! Your work certainly has that 'WOW' factor, even it its rough state! I'm going to have to dig out the DLG now to compare, but I really like your ideas Jay! You've got to be headed toward that 3D Mastery!!!
Old Jan 29 2008, 10:13 AM   #45
Jayru
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Getting to this thread a bit late, but it's fascinating!!! Your work certainly has that 'WOW' factor, even it its rough state! I'm going to have to dig out the DLG now to compare, but I really like your ideas Jay! You've got to be headed toward that 3D Mastery!!!

I'm not trying to be overly modest - there are a lot of people out there who do fantastic work in 3D, and I am still just scratching the surface on it... and am happy to do just that, and learn a little bit more now and then as time goes by.

Not had much time for this recently unfortunatly, I've been down with the flu (there is some irony there... )
Old Jan 29 2008, 04:02 PM   #46
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

UGG, the flu...seems a lot of people have been down with the flu this year. Lets hope that you get better very soon, so that you can get back to work, creating more fantastic pieces for us here to enjoy.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Feb 1 2008, 11:40 AM   #47
Maximillian
Talent

Fan of: The Talent Series
Now Reading: The Mars Series by Kim Stanley Robinson

Jay your models are brilliant in shere terms of the craft itself.....Having not read the Pern Series yet (waits for shaft of lightening to strike)...I really have no basis of comparison, but judging from what Hans posted about the ships, I have a very good picture in my head about what the designs may be like.

Indeed if they were old transport ships refitted for colonisation it would make sense that there would be a need for some protection from the environment of space itself.

Also, knowing what I know about colony vessels, there would have been a need for perhaps separate pods for different areas of agriculture. Knowing that the ships were refitted from older military ships however, they may have had to add such features in the refit. Transport ships are usually designed for efficiency of travel and the load to be carried.

I love your pern Globe, it's quite wonderful and really makes me want to find the time to read the Pern series once and for all. LoL I always mean to, but it's so hard to find time when your time is in such demand.

The Trek ship is bloody brilliant sir! I am an avid Star Trek fan and have watched every series from start to finish, so there is very little about star trek that I do not know, and what I don't know can be found in the volumes of Treklopedia's that are to be found for sale in book stores and abroad on the web.

All in all I am very impressed with your work, and am honored to have the pleasure of viewing it, I do thank you for sharing.

Most sincerely,
Maximillian
Maximillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1 2008, 05:22 PM   #48
Jayru
Inactive

Hiya Lady M - yes am feeling somewhat better today. The flu and I do not get on. In fact, it's always best if we're not allowed in the same room... On lots and lots of anti-biotics at the moment, and feeling the effects of that, but I can't take the risk of getting an intrenched infection of any sorts with my ticker...

Not done too much work on the Yoko, although I have made some notes about a few things, and gone over the descriptions within the books. I would very much like to keep these ships of a very practical and realistic design - but given this is fiction, I feel that there might be some lea-way in terms of what I can do. That, and it's a fact that these ships have shields, artifical gravity and anti-matter engines. But in terms of the look, I hope I can make people believe that this sort of vessel is buildable by humans in the future.

@ Maximillian - cheers Have no fears, I don't think the "gods" are out today and throwing any lightening bolts about - but it might be wise to duck, LOL. From Annes descriptions and from the pics in the DLG it seems that major influence on the design was the "Discovery" from 2001/2010. With that in mind I am going to pay homage to that, but keep it Pern...

The Trek ship has been "fun" and is still not finished. Maybe next year? The ammount of detail that's being built into that is either going to kill me, or give me a better understanding of what goes into stuff for movies/TV series and the like. That model is based off the (blue set of plans of the) USS Ingram plans by Todd Guenther - and I have it good authority he's not unhappy with the changes I made due to my lack of experiance in creating (how knew a mistake in perspective could work, and so far no one has actually noticed that one... LOL). That project is up on SciFi Meshes - under the same user handle, LOL. One day I will have to explain where the handle "Jayru" came from...

And.. one day in the near future I will get my own personal site up, with all my 3D work, and written work as well (well what I haven't sold, that people have to buy... unless I know them, in which case it's a different matter...)
Old Feb 2 2008, 04:29 PM   #49
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Wow! I just found this thread (late as usual). Your 3D work looks fantastic Jayru. I'm looking forward to seeing your new 3D rendering of Pern. The ones you showed at the beginning look pretty good already, even with the block colours; but the new rendering of the Western Continent looks terrific.

There are so many useful things you could do with a high resolution rendering of Pern:

* A "Google Pern" (as mentioned in another thread).

* Some Pern scenery for a flight simulator (with the "aircraft" replaced by a dragon of course ).

Well, I can dream...

Best of luck Jayru.
Old Feb 2 2008, 06:39 PM   #50
Jayru
Inactive

LOL, one thing I can do, is create the Rukbat system for the Star Trek Bridge Commander game, as a warp into system, complete with a third planet using any new map... been thinking of that one for a while. Yes, it's a Trek game, but these days it's so far removed from Trek as to be playable in any universe

Animation is something I want to play around with. The coloney ships in orbit as the Rukbat comes over the planets horizon would be nice... make a nice background pic too for my site.

As for the rest... a "Google" Pern is a possibilty, will pick the other halfs brain on how to so that... it may require a very high resolution map though, and I am not sure I am making a map that detailed... But something simple I might be able to do...

Well, if anyone knows how to use such a map on a fligh sim game, let me know!
Old Feb 3 2008, 05:03 AM   #51
Hans
Master Archivist

Oh please not MORE ideas

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Feb 3 2008, 07:29 AM   #52
Jayru
Inactive

Ideas I have... time? That's another matter...

Although the Bridge Commander one is the easiest one for me to set up...
Old Feb 3 2008, 04:53 PM   #53
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh I love ideas....the more the merrier...
*J*I know that soon you will find the time...and I can hardly wait to see what you finally end up designing.

Old Feb 7 2008, 09:02 AM   #54
Maximillian
Talent

Fan of: The Talent Series
Now Reading: The Mars Series by Kim Stanley Robinson

Well...with the right quantum technology you could always "make" the time you require.
Maximillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2008, 06:34 AM   #55
Jayru
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
Well...with the right quantum technology you could always "make" the time you require.
Indeed - either that or clone myself... mind you, I still have figuired out the accelrated growth bit on that...
Old Feb 8 2008, 12:42 PM   #56
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

...another *J* out there in the world...are you sure we could handle more than one of you..........

Old Feb 8 2008, 04:06 PM   #57
Hans
Master Archivist

Old Feb 8 2008, 06:18 PM   #58
Jayru
Inactive

To be honest, I'm not sure I can handle another one of me out there... personally I think one is (bad) enough
Old Feb 11 2008, 11:39 AM   #59
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

Oh poo, Jayru! I'll take ya! Your work is terrific.
If I read right, they also had secured some equipment/supplies that wouldn't be affected by space to the out side of the sips between the 'fins' (forgot how they are called in the book).
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11 2008, 03:36 PM   #60
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayru View Post
Cheer's Gidget!

That's a very small version of the texture map I used on the 3D Pern mesh... you can see why I am not happy on the details... it's just block colours...

This is the Far-Western Continant (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know - my spelling sucks, deal with it) as it will be on the new texture map - which will be 10 times larger then the old one, meaning I can render in a little closer than before... The details are based off Earth - but I am aiming to make it photo realistic. Hence, this will take time... the coloney ships will be easy by comparison, LOL
I was about to comment that I'd like to see contienent detail in less bright colors, more like earth seen from space, but you fulfilled my wish in that last picture! SPECTACULAR job with that, it looks excellent! I really can't wait to see how it looks when you manage to get more blocked in

My only suggestion is that the edges look a bit too sharp, but I realize that to correct this, it takes a lot more time. And it's much more noticable when it's zoomed in like this - when it's all mapped out on the globe and seen as a whole I'm sure it'll look even better.

As for the ships, I'm with the rest in severely disliking the DLG drawings. I always thought they looked more like a lamp without a shade than a starship! However, your newer adaption is a distinct improvement. The overall design of the DLG looks too simplistic to me, but you've done a great job transferring it to 3D
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11 2008, 08:00 PM   #61
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayru View Post
To be honest, I'm not sure I can handle another one of me out there... personally I think one is (bad) enough

Two of you could be considered twice the fun...especially for those of us that know you soooo well .

Old Feb 12 2008, 05:09 AM   #62
Jayru
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherlyn View Post
Oh poo, Jayru! I'll take ya! Your work is terrific.
If I read right, they also had secured some equipment/supplies that wouldn't be affected by space to the out side of the sips between the 'fins' (forgot how they are called in the book).

I think that comes from the description in the DLG, as I don't recall (but feel free to correct me if I am wrong) any description within the books themselves that state the ships have "fins" of any sort. Wheels, yes. The fin like structures are a tip of the hat to the DLG

One of the other things I am going to need to consider is where to put the retro-thrusters - the big engines that slow these ships down from there FTL drive. Given that it isn't Star Trek, the ship would have them... somewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
My only suggestion is that the edges look a bit too sharp, but I realize that to correct this, it takes a lot more time. And it's much more noticable when it's zoomed in like this - when it's all mapped out on the globe and seen as a whole I'm sure it'll look even better.

As for the ships, I'm with the rest in severely disliking the DLG drawings. I always thought they looked more like a lamp without a shade than a starship! However, your newer adaption is a distinct improvement. The overall design of the DLG looks too simplistic to me, but you've done a great job transferring it to 3D
Yep, know the edges of the landmass are razor sharp at the moment. The reason is; I have yet to work on the oceans of Pern - and I will have to "map" them too, LOL. Easier to do all the whilst the distinction is sharp edged - I can blend it in later. That, and I have to consider, will I actually be rendering in that close? It's possible that I will need the sharp adges in order for the globe to look right - it's actually there on the current version of the map I use, but given the render distance, it's hard to see sometimes...

LOL, my partner came back with a comment that both the DLG picture, and my mesh, looked like some sort of weird light fixture. I quite agree . Until I get to work on the main sphere, and get the details built into it, it's going to keep that look. However, I have a few other priorties at the moment... (such as rebuilding all the graphics on Rukbat3 - time for a change, of sorts). But I will get back to doing both of these. You have to remember, something like this can take time, lots of it, even if I work on it everyday. It's easy to spend a day just moving bits around without adding anything new, LOL. I am going to section off some of the TMM webspace, and put up regular updates on there (as I don't want to overload MOM with loads of pictures). But more on that as and when...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Two of you could be considered twice the fun...especially for those of us that know you soooo well .
LOL, seriously, two of me in the world is one too many. I live with me, so I know what I'm like... That, and I seriously worry that one, or both of me, would attempt to take over the world...
Old Feb 12 2008, 12:48 PM   #63
Cynth
Inactive

Fan of: Planet Pirates
Now Reading: Alternative Care For Ruminants - Dr. Dettloff

Wonderful work, Jayru!
I have always wanted to play with Photoshop or other art related computer programs but have never had the opportunity and certainly wouldn't entertain the idea of doing such work on professional level. (Although, perhaps I would have if I had pursued a career in graphic arts like I wanted to as a teenager but it's too late now)

I can't wait to see what else you do with this!
Cynth is offline   Reply With Quote