A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jun 6 2007, 09:33 AM   #1
Deanne
Eskay

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Stranger in a Strange Land
Default 1978 Pern Fanzine

I'm happily waiting on a copy of the 1978 Pern Fanzine to arrive in the mail...I think there had been a thread discussing it on here some time ago.....I think it is supposed to be 118 pages with articles by various authors and has a dragon drawing on the front........by the picture in the ad it looked to be in very good condition! I was wondering just how rare this really is and what a fair price would be for it (I paid 35.00).........I felt I probably did not overpay as this was the first time I had seen one come across ebay so they must not be too common! I really don't have much in my personal collection that would be considered "rare" and was very happy to get this!
Deanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2007, 09:38 AM   #2
sjslack
Inactive

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual
Default Re: 1978 Pern Fanzine

That sounds really interesting Deanne! To be honest I didn't know that one of those things even existed! -Chuckles-
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2007, 09:54 AM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Deanne, I would think that Becky or Hans will know the general price of the very lovely treasure you have found, I do believe that both of them have copies of it. I was gift a copy of this by my friend Becky...so don't know the true price of the original. Congratulations on finding one of these for your own collection.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2007, 10:01 AM   #4
Deanne
Eskay

I just went and read the previous posts about this! It is better than what I had been thinking when I bought it! It is the Pern portfolio and I went and reread the information in the ad about it......it states it is volume 1 number 1 June 1978....it is the stapled edition, with the cover not completely colored! From what I read here in the forums, it is truely rare and I was so lucky to find it! Now, I am even more excited about it and can't wait for it to arrive! The picture of it in the ad showed it to be in very good condition!
Old Jun 6 2007, 10:03 AM   #5
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Deanne - are you talking about the Pern Portfolio? That was done in 1978. Do you have the eBay link to it so we can see it? I did a search of completed items and can't find it to check for you.

It is indeed rare, but oddly enough, you'll be the third person within the past year to find one. I paid dearly for the copy I found, but it was on ABEbooks so it was high priced, but it was the only copy I'd ever found. Then Hans found a copy a few weeks later. I then found a second copy that is possibly a proof copy as it has several differences that are not in Hans' or my original copy. (I emailed Anne E Zeek about it but sadly never heard back from her) And now you have a copy!
I think you paid a fair price for your copy and I'm surprised more folks didn't bid on it. But then I forget that not everyone is as obsessed...er...dedicated a collector as I. (and maybe a few others around here?)
Old Jun 6 2007, 10:07 AM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Wow, you and Lady Maelin are fast! While I was typing my last post you both posted. Course I was dealing with some other things like a phone call, but I was glad to read it is the Pern Portfolio you won for sure!
I would be interested in knowing if your copy is like the one I was thinking could be a proof copy. So, if you would please, compare your copy to what I posted in the Proof thread? That will tell me for sure what I have. Either way it will be super to know what I have for sure.
Old Jun 6 2007, 10:22 AM   #7
Deanne
Eskay

Becky as soon as it arrives I will definately compare it to what is in the archives information........no one got a chance to bid on it as I had found it as a newly listed ebay store item, it had only been listed a matter of a few hours............it was not listed as an auction item.....I bought it as soon as I saw it so I am sure very few people even got the chance to see the ad! If I had hesitated, I am sure some other eager collector such as yourself would have seen it and poof! It would have been gone, LOL............

By the way, did you ever hear from John at Wildside Press about the Dolphins' Bell leather or not issue?
Old Jun 6 2007, 10:25 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

If you are indeed talking about the Pern Portfolio (note that there were never made more issues of it) the price you paid is a fair one, even for the stapled one with the non-colored cover.

Thing to check with these is that you indeed have an orriginal and not a photocopy. But you can check this in the thread on it because Becky and I did a thorough evaluation and comparison check. Originals will have colored pages in it (with the paper colored, not the content).

Whatever the state, this is a rare fanzine indeed. I have actually never seen one on eBay yet. As said Becky fund hers on Abe, I found mine scouring the internet and hers and mine are actually the only copies of the original with colored cover I know of! (and from the top of my head there were, what? 250?).

Congrats on the find!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2007, 09:26 PM   #9
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Color me green, I still haven't found one!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7 2007, 12:29 AM   #10
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanne View Post
By the way, did you ever hear from John at Wildside Press about the Dolphins' Bell leather or not issue?
Nope, not yet. Someone probably has to do some searching for an answer.
Old Jun 7 2007, 09:43 AM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Well at least for most questions we here at MoM, can usually find the answer from another member or two or three ...it's really rare when we have had to go to an outside source to find one.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jun 7 2007, 10:09 AM   #12
Becky
Coelura

Very true, Maelin! And I think we've got the Dolphins' Bell thing figured out, but it will be nice to know for sure. And that was thanks to Cheryl! (see the thread on the Dolphins' Bell if you want to know the whole story)
Old Jun 8 2007, 05:53 PM   #13
Deanne
Eskay

The Pern Portfolio arrived today! It looks EXACTLY like Becky's "proof" copy, the exact coloring on the cover page and the pages are laid out exacly the same as she described hers to be! Even the 2 staples holding it together look to be in approx. the same spots! It has the 2 foldout pages with the artwork, everything listed in the contents page is here, I can find no differences at all except the back cover page is a heavy stock white paper, not colored paper......there are co colored paper pages at all, the only color is what is colored on the cover. It is in very good condition! It just arrived today so I haven't had time to do more than just look through it.
Old Jun 8 2007, 05:56 PM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

OOO Becky, thank you....I will have to go and see what all the hub-bub is all about and how it finished up

Old Jun 8 2007, 11:41 PM   #15
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Can you scan it so we can see pictures of it.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9 2007, 12:43 AM   #16
Deanne
Eskay

If you go to the collector's highlights archives #30 about the Pern Fanzine / Portfolio you will see pictures Becky has there of what she terms her original copy with a fully colored cover and what she calls her proof copy which has a partially colored cover......mine looks exactly the same as the proof copy..I even looked to see if the orange and yellow colors were done exactly the same way in the pattern and they are so if you look at the pics there it is like looking at pics of the one I have........
Old Jun 9 2007, 01:25 AM   #17
Becky
Coelura

Deanne - OK so with your copy you have been able to confirm that my second copy is not a proof, but one of the stapled editions. It's sooooo nice to have that mystery solved! I'm sad, only a little tho, to find it's not a proof, but happy to find I own each version of the Pern Portfolio! That's one way of find out what you have, just wait til someone else finds the same kind! Thanks Dee!!!! {{{HUGS}}} Enjoy your copy, I do mine!
Old Jun 9 2007, 01:31 AM   #18
Becky
Coelura

For those who wish more info on the Pern Portfolio, here is the original thread - http://forums.srellim.org/showthread...Pern+Portfolio
Here is the link to the thread on what I thought might be a Proof, but is actually the stapled version.....http://forums.srellim.org/showthread...Pern+Portfolio
Thanks to Deanna finding another of the stapled copies we now know that what I thought might be a proof is actually one of the afore mentioned stapled copies.
Old Jun 9 2007, 05:33 AM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

Deanne, aren't the stapled copies numbered, too? If so, what number is your copy?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jun 9 2007, 11:15 AM   #20
Hans
Master Archivist

oops, totally forgot to for you and this surely merits a

Old Jun 9 2007, 02:03 PM   #21
Deanne
Eskay

Hans.......I cannot find anything to show this was numbered....was Becky's? Also, it does not have the illustration "A Lady and Her Dragon" in it (which I believe Becky said was not in either copy she has). The Hargreaves info must have been incorrect in saying these stapled copies had no color at all (as there are the 2 colors on the cover which is a heavy stock paper but more glossy than plain paper) and no foldouts as both Becky's and mine have both the foldouts. Would not be the first time a reference was incorrect.
Old Jun 9 2007, 02:25 PM   #22
Hans
Master Archivist

I said that from the top of my head, Deanne.

Hmm, Hargreaves gives the number made for both states (first printing 300 copies) and second printing on white mimeo paper 200 copies) and since my first printing is numbered I thought the other state was too.

As fot Hargreaves, a lot of questions remains unanswered concerning this edition.

Old Jun 9 2007, 09:45 PM   #23
Becky
Coelura

My stapled copy doesn't have any numbering in it at all. And Deanna the back 'cover' page of my copy is pinkish in color. I'm guessing they probably used whatever paper they had left over for the back cover.
And what had prompted me thinking it was a proof over the stapled copy was the difference in the cover colors. I was assuming they would have put the exact same cover on all copies. And that with the differences in page order between the two made me think that they were trying to figure out the best page order. So thanks to you that mystery has been solved. Thanks ever so much for finding this copy and letting us know about it to help figure things out.
And a very happy book to you!
Old Jun 10 2007, 03:59 AM   #24
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
<snip> I'm guessing they probably used whatever paper they had left over for the back cover. <snip>
You know, after re-consulting Hargreaves last night and reading him mentioning a "second printing" (while this item isn't even properly printed in the sense of the word) I was thinking...

It looks like they did a sort of additional "run" from leftovers (like the try outs for the cover) maybe added to with other paper quality as was necessary; thus creating (larger but many smaller) differences between first and second state but also within the (possibky unintended) second state. It would explain a lot I think. Wish we had more comparison material