A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old May 26 2007, 02:35 AM   #281
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy
Default Re: Library Technician

Ds#1 and I are excited about the study. While at UCLA, ds#1 announced that he wants to study Law, Medicine, Engineering, and Science at UCLA. He hopes that the cute blond who interviewed me will be there still because he likes her. Also, he plans to finish high school at 16, receive his first B.A. in 2 years. Just thinking about it makes me

I have pampered myself this week in preparation for job interviews this summer. Two days, I waxed my legs for the first time ever -- not so bad. Then tonight I waxed and shaped eyebrows, waxed chin, upper and lower lip -- here's to less hair on my body. Strangely I enjoyed the waxing even though it was more painful on the face. Oh, I added a pedicure to the waxing tonight. I have never had any desire to go do these things, but I did it and found I liked it. I just might have to do this periodically. It is relaxing and peaceful. No mom to harp on me.
Old May 26 2007, 02:57 AM   #282
SuzyQ
Inactive

Fan of: Talents
Now Reading: Need more time!

Nothing like some personal time to make one feel human again!! I had my eyebrows waxed once - never again let me tell ya!! (The wax was a little too hot so I looked rather sunburned in a very strange pattern) Anyway, Very glad to hear that you have had some time for yourself to feel pretty
SuzyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2007, 07:37 AM   #283
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

You defently deserve some pampering

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2007, 12:01 AM   #284
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Thanks everyone. I am almost done with this quarter. On Tuesday I turned in my Case Study for my Assessment's class and today I turned in my Autism pamphlet plus paper for my Intro to Sp. Ed. Class. All I have left is 7 more hours of observation, write up my 45 hours -- reflection paper -- due Monday then I am free for two weeks.
Of course once summer quarter starts, it will be even more intense because I will have 3 classes. Otherwise I am however there will be no major for me til after Monday.
I have not strangled my mom yet though she has pushed me towards it. Thankfully, she is going home next week by Thursday for 2 weeks.
Old Jun 1 2007, 12:47 PM   #285
Allana
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

I just can't tell you how much I admire you for getting through all of this! I have enough trouble motivating myself to do my schoolwork, and I don't have kids or any of the other problems in your life now.

P.S.- I love your new avatar!
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2007, 07:05 PM   #286
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I like him too. Good luck on your papers & I hope you have some fun before next quarter starts.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Jun 3 2007, 11:17 PM   #287
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

& Now I wouldn't mind spending some alone time with him and some toys.

Survived the hectic weekend -- T-ball closing ceremonies, Religious School picnic, & soccer game (my turn for snacks). Ds#1 loves playing goalie in soccer and he is good. *proud mum*

Tomorrow I will do my last 3 hours. Tonight I will write up most of my observations and write up tomorrows in the afternoon before class. I was suppose to do them yesterday but I woke up with a sore throat and my chest hurting. I rested in the morning because I knew T-ball closing ceremonies was that night. Between rest and tea, I am feeling better. My throat is a little dry, need more water, and my head is slightly achy but that could be my mom. Otherwise, I feel good.

After tomorrow night, I will have two weeks free to read what I want while taking care of all the business that was put on hold these last two week.
Old Jun 4 2007, 06:30 AM   #288
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

- hope you feel better soon!
It's good that you have a gentler fortnight!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4 2007, 01:08 PM   #289
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

ENJOY the next 2 weeks

Old Jun 6 2007, 12:15 AM   #290
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Thanks. I plan to start my two weeks with tons of . I am so . I look forward to tons of reading, but first I need to rest my weary eyes.
Old Jun 6 2007, 09:40 PM   #291
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Try to wholeheartedly enjoy your next two weeks...you really deserve it. Get some rest...and eat something really delicious and bad for your figure...then watch a fun movie with the boys...something that all of you enjoy together.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12 2007, 01:14 AM   #292
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Lady Maelin, I am trying but something keeps coming up that needs to be done or my mom is in an accident/hospital. She is okay now. On their trip back home (my step dad and her), were in a fender bender. A car up ahead caused a multi-car pile up. Dean was able to avoid it, but the young man behind him was not aware and piled into them. They are okay, but then her high blood pressure started going crazy because the doctor at the clinic decided to switch her without weaning her first. She needs to switch because the meds she is on are affecting her breathing, but she needs to be weaned off. Short story, she had to come back up here today to go to the clinic. They seem to have her back under control and will work on weaning and switching her next week after she returns. They are currently here, catching a breather before heading back. Hopefully, the next three days will be peaceful because she will be back by Friday.

Now about us so far:

Ds#1 may have fractured his hand playing kickball. Don't know for sure and do not want to make an ER run if I can help it. His left ring finger (the hurt one) is taped to his middle finger and he is sleeping. Of course he feel asleep early and seems a little warm so he may be fighting a virus too. I do have an appointment for him with his doctor next week, but I will call our doctors office tomorrow to see if any am appts have open up. If his finger is worse, then I will probably spend tomorrow am in the ER. Otherwise, the boys are enjoying a peaceful house.

One of my instructors gave me a B+ because I turned 2 assignments in late. I worked hard to be on time, but the chaos that is my life kept me from it and I emailed to let her know and why. I am bummed because it is not like I was being lazy. I really wanted an A and I worked so hard to do it too.

I start school again next Monday. I have not been able to read as much as I wanted to, but I signed both boys up to go to overnight camp with the YMCA this summer for a week. They have no problem with ds#1 having autism and regularly have special needs kids in this camp. The boys are excited. I know I will miss them terribly but I am excited too. They go towards the end of July.

I have finished The Radiant Seas and am reading Channeling Cleopatra. Hopefully, I will finish a couple more before Monday, but it could be a challenge with everything occuring.
Old Jun 12 2007, 11:35 AM   #293
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

Oooh, Channeling Cleopatra is a great book!

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12 2007, 03:43 PM   #294
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Hope DS#1, your Mom and you get things sorted out. If you let your instructor know surely they should've given you an extension?
Old Jun 15 2007, 12:35 AM   #295
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

I did Edith, but she still docked my overall grade. I guess that is life. I hope the tension between ds#1 and grandma eases up. He loves her, but she can push his buttons. At the same time, I hope her acceptance of her "bi-polar" diagnoses enables her to work on the fact that she needs to create chaos and cannot handle peace.

I am loving it too Pam.

Yesterday, I was hit by a 24 hour violent flu bug. I woke up much better; however, as I was telling the boys to get in the car for school, ds#1 said "but mommy what if you throw up on the way to school. Maybe you should not take us." I told him I was fine. I have gone easy on my stomach today, but I have been able to remain vertical without feeling nausea a big improvement.

I met with the lawyer and began the divorce process. I was numb in her office, but for the last few hours I have fought depression. The pain is so deep that when it rears its head, it is hard to keep going.

Afterwards, I went to Cal State LA and turned in the paperwork for an income adjustment for my financial aide. Now I just need to finish up the paper work to turn in for scholarships next week. Oh, I bought my books for this summer -- $300 I am sure there will be more once the instructor gives us the syllabus -- there was last time.
Old Jun 15 2007, 09:21 AM   #296
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I hope you fin. aid comes in soon. Can you buy used books? That might save some money.

Old Jun 15 2007, 09:52 AM   #297
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Can't your library help with the books? Our local one allows students to borrow a book for up to three months.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15 2007, 02:33 PM   #298
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

You're lucky P'ter. Libraries around here you can barrow for 2 week & renew 1 if there is no one waiting.

Old Jun 15 2007, 06:10 PM   #299
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Can't Moonlady's college library help?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Jun 15 2007, 06:29 PM   #300
Sandi

I don't know about the school she is going to, but most of them enjoy making money off selling text books too much to consider allowing them to fall into the hands of students for free!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16 2007, 01:06 AM   #301
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

I was able to buy one of the three books used which keep the price at $300. There is no help from the library. At the most the teacher can put a copy on loan for about 2 hours at a time at the library for students. P'ter you have an awesome local library. Not so with the universities here.

Update on job hunting such:
I will turn in my resume, cover letter, etc on Monday to my local school district and a school that specializes in special education.

Talk to a magnet school that specialize in autism and the director wanted my stuff today. So I made as many basic changes as I could and faxed it to him. *fingers crossed* Also, he told me to call him on Monday if I have not heard from him.

I went in and had my legs, armpits, chin, upper & lower lip, and eyebrows waxed. All of it was hardly painful until my armpits --- they hurt -- I had tears in my eyes. If I had started out with them, I would never have waxed again. I eased the pain with a manicure. I need to be ready to interview.

My mom came home and is already complaining. I will be glad when I am not dependent on her or she is on something for her bi-polar condition.
Old Jun 16 2007, 01:07 PM   #302
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

We can borrow books for 3 weeks as undergraduates and renew them as often as we like. I think postgrads are allowed to borrow them for longer
Old Jun 17 2007, 02:15 PM   #303
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

I like your system better, Edith. The textbook industry is too entrenched for that to ever happen here. Then again stranger things have happen.
Old Jun 17 2007, 02:53 PM   #304
Sandi

You're very right about that. A few years ago when my daughter was in college even the profs were getting in on the game. For several of her classes she was required to go to the local Copy Cow and buy what I would call a psudo-book produced by the teacher as a supplement to the high-priced "official" text book. Most of them were just sections of the text books slightly reworded for legal purposes and none of them were nearly as cheap as they looked. I don't remember which class it was, but I remember that she never even opened one of them; the students just had to be seen in class in possession of it.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17 2007, 11:28 PM   #305
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

That's terrible, Sandi. So far I have never had professors like that.
Old Jun 18 2007, 04:08 PM   #306
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I like your system better, Edith. The textbook industry is too entrenched for that to ever happen here. Then again stranger things have happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
You're very right about that. A few years ago when my daughter was in college even the profs were getting in on the game. For several of her classes she was required to go to the local Copy Cow and buy what I would call a psudo-book produced by the teacher as a supplement to the high-priced "official" text book. Most of them were just sections of the text books slightly reworded for legal purposes and none of them were nearly as cheap as they looked. I don't remember which class it was, but I remember that she never even opened one of them; the students just had to be seen in class in possession of it.
None of my books have cost me more than £50.
I get books like that-sort of. Some of our lecturers write (original) course notes which we print out!
over here the cost of textbooks have reduced dramatically since Mum went to uni
Old Jun 18 2007, 04:13 PM   #307
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Why has your mother's arrival at college affected the price of textbooks? Doea she buy THAT many?

C. S. Lewis

Old Jun 18 2007, 04:19 PM   #308
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Well she was playing £60 25 years ago
I pay £30 now for similar books
Old Jun 19 2007, 02:55 AM   #309
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Edith, I am glad that the books are less. Always good news.

Here is my latest....
I started my first class for the summer. It will be another intensive class, but I don't feel as overwhelmed.

I have my first job interview this Sat at 1:30 PM. It is with a magnet school with in LAUSD -- The Academy of Autism. I am excited about it except it is about 20 minutes from home.

I turned in my application to our local school district. I have more apps to work on, but it feels good to have started.
Old Jun 19 2007, 06:49 AM   #310
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Happy dance for you that you have stared!!

Old Jun 19 2007, 10:43 PM   #311
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Way to go, Lady!!!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23 2007, 02:08 AM   #312
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Thank you Ann Marie and mawofone.

Here is my latest news:
I have a job interview tomorrow at 1:30 PM with the Academy of Autism, a magnet school with LAUSD. I am very nervous. I would love to work there, but interviews are hard for me because they require selling myself.

Also, I have an interview on Monday at 10 AM with The Help Group, they are a private school that works with students with disabilities that districts are unable to help.

I turned the app into my local school district on Wednesday, but have not heard back. Both these schools contacted me within two days of receiving my app.

I survived my first week of school and my classes are going to kick my behind if I am not careful.

I finished Channeling Cleopatra and I loved it. A very awesome book.
Old Jun 23 2007, 04:37 AM   #313
Keruval
Inactive

Good Luck with the interviews, just be yourself, that is all the selling you need

Keruval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23 2007, 08:19 AM   #314
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

GOOD LUCK with the inter view. Go in there & nock thier socks off.

Old Jun 23 2007, 10:22 AM   #315
Allana
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

Good Luck!!
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23 2007, 12:30 PM   #316
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Best of luck amd don't think of it as selling yourself but as your rightful reward for investment - that way you will sound more sure of yourself as a bonus!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23 2007, 01:43 PM   #317
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Good Luck, sweetie. YOU CAN DO IT! As for "selling yourself"...nope... convincing them of your abilities and desire to do the job.

One of these days, a bunch of us are gonna get together and celebrate.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24 2007, 01:02 AM   #318
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. Here's what happen:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The interview went awesome. I have a second interview after July 3rd with the co-director. Even so, he told me that he wanted to hire me and does not see me not having a great interview with his co-director.

I want this job. The Academy of Autism is not a magnet school, it is the only private, accrediated (sp) school in CA. The vision of the school is the same as my vision concerning autism and the future of individuals with autism. The directors of the school plan to eventually have 7 schools in CA before opening schools nationwide.

If I receive this job, I plan for ds#1 to go there.

Tomorrow the boys and I will be at legoland because they earned it with working with me to improve their behavior.

Ann Marie, I so would love to get together with everyone one day.
Old Jun 24 2007, 01:18 AM   #319
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I hope you enjoy Legoland. Kibbie is dieing to go, but, it is a little to far away for us.

Old Jun 24 2007, 05:53 AM   #320
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

That's great to hear, Moonlady. I'm sure the next interview will likewise be a succes

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote