A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 18 2008, 11:09 AM   #1
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta
Default Sports of Pern?

[x-posted from AMCF by request]

No, I'm not talking about Ruth!

The Pernese get a lot of their relaxation through music and dancing, with some gambling on the side. Horse racing, the sport of kings, certainly survived and thrived on Pern, but what about everything else? (i.e. perhaps the things that Anne herself may not enjoy so much???)

Many sports on Earth have their roots in practical activities and warfare, or demonstrations of skill. Races over various distances, field events such as hammer and javelin are pretty obvious. Modern Pentathlon has its roots in the skills needed for a 'modern' cavalry soldier (i.e. post guns and pre tanks!). Then there are the feats of strength (weightlifting, wrestling), stamina (triathlons, marathons), agility (long/high/triple jumps, acrobatics). And of course, all the winter sports, and all the others I haven't mentioned.

Oh, and team sports. Football, rugby, hockey.

Anyway, the point of the thread. Which sports do you think survived into everyday life on Pern, and which would have died out. Why?

How has Thread affected their ability to indulge in sports?

Football and related pastimes were hugely popular with groups of youths (e.g. apprentices) throughout recent history - why've we not seen footie on Pern?

More interestingly - given that the Pernese don't really go in for warfare but DO spend a lot of time worrying about Thread, what sort of sports/games might have been developed by the Pernese as non-frivolous competetive training/exercise that also served a useful purpose beyond just being an entertaining workout?

The original thread is here - you may wish to browse and see what we came up with over there...
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan
Default Re: Sports of Pern?

Running Footraces would be a common sport...The Dragonriders performed at gathers and such with practice drills...I seriously have to re read the books as I have a vague memory of children playing with a ball as a sport *Harper Hall trilogy maybe?)
Regattas and other boat races etc ...Fishing tournatents...the trouble is liife on Pern is harder and more survival than filled with conveniences (even after
Aivas) so any sports would be tied to work performances...IMO
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2008, 10:51 PM   #3
Sandi

I don't see much opportunity for much organized sports on Pern. At gathers there are horse races and wrestling and (I think) foot races but I don't see many holders "wasting" arable land to create a football field or a golf course. Some sort of winter activity seems more likely since more people would probably have free time then. I could see an impromptu pond hockey game as an activity for kids with "cabin fever," but that sort of thing would be confined to individual holds and crafthalls and strictly on an occasional basis. I always had the impression that children were assigned chores as soon as they were big enough to wield a dust rag and few adults had a lot of time to "waste" playing games.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19 2008, 01:45 AM   #4
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
...but I don't see many holders "wasting" arable land to create a football field or a golf course.
You know, that's the best argument against team sports I've seen so far. I'm sure they could get around it, but even so... yeah.
Old Jun 19 2008, 02:14 AM   #5
proserpine
Inactive

Dodgeball, man, it's the perfect Pernese sport: you don't need a field, you can play indoors, team size is arbitrary and you can use one ball or multiple, it's just that flexible.
proserpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19 2008, 02:31 AM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
You know, that's the best argument against team sports I've seen so far. I'm sure they could get around it, but even so... yeah.
Hah! They make room for Gather's and runnerbeast races but not for the odd teamsport (ballsport)... Nah, I don't think so.
Remember young Robonton plays something akin to basketball/korfball, called hoopball or something?, on the courtyard of Benden Hold.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19 2008, 08:34 AM   #7
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

He also takes part in indoor running races, doesn't he?

There're also hints that archery exists.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19 2008, 10:20 AM   #8
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
He also takes part in indoor running races, doesn't he?

There're also hints that archery exists.
In MHoP, they mention the indoor races, as well as wrestling.

And Menolly was described as being faster than her brothers, but it is up to the reader to decide if this was determined formally or informally. I tend to think informally.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19 2008, 05:41 PM   #9
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

MHvP: Yes also he play hop-it (Earth Hop-Scotch) in courtyard of the Harper Hall. He found about in High Reach they can't get outside to run so they use the halls, and stairs to run races. DoP, they play water games and other diffent type of games at the Landing School.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19 2008, 08:59 PM   #10
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

They play poker and other card games! Wrestling, foot-races, swimming, horse racing and the Dragon games - similiar to our olympics or commonwealth games - are all mentioned throughout the books. Also forgot to add boat regattas in sea holds was mentioned somewhere, ponders on which book I read it in, and the dolphins play lots of games.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2008, 12:38 AM   #11
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
2cent Re: Sports of Pern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
They play poker and other card games! Wrestling, foot-races, swimming, horse racing and the Dragon games - similiar to our olympics or commonwealth games - are all mentioned throughout the books. Also forgot to add boat regattas in sea holds was mentioned somewhere, ponders on which book I read it in, and the dolphins play lots of games.
Use your quote to add a few more: MHVP Southern Boll Hold, Mid Summer for the boat, swiming, Diving off a High Cliff for young men/boys to prove themself.

During the evacation of Landing they had a something going between the differnt pod on weight.

Also the dolphins have games between the pods to keep themself sharp.
They keep on stealing the balls that T'lon had made for them.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23 2008, 10:24 PM   #12
Pernaficionado
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonsong
Now Reading: brainships

Quote:
Hah! They make room for Gather's and runnerbeast races but not for the odd teamsport (ballsport)... Nah, I don't think so.
In Moreta the race track is described as graded or something right? Not fields of arable grass or turf that would need to be protected, like most ball sports would need. The only thing I see surviving on a local bases is some sort of basketball, because you could use the flagstone courtyard. After all even the Aztecs/Mayans had a form so it clearly could survive some 2000+ years, right?
Pernaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24 2008, 03:06 AM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Wherever did you get the idea that ballsports need grass? Dirt would do very well And indeed, as you were saying yourself, for most even a stone surface would do (just ensures less body contact, which is good).

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24 2008, 03:48 AM   #14
Pernaficionado
Inactive

soccer, football, rugby, baseball etc.=grass/turf
Maybe tennis would work?
Old Jun 24 2008, 07:50 AM   #15
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernaficionado View Post
soccer, football, rugby, baseball etc.=grass/turf
Perhaps in places like the UK - but dirt is more common in most of the rest of the world. I've been chatting to a lot of foreigners recently about football, and many were quite amazed at their experiences playing on grass pitches in the UK, while at home only the top teams would get proper turf.
Old Jun 24 2008, 08:31 PM   #16
Pernaficionado
Inactive

Really? That sounds like it would hurt.
all things considered tho, I don't really see sports on Pern as a "national" or what ever the term should be, kind of thing. Just kids games locally, or private holder rituals like in MHop
Old Jun 25 2008, 02:56 AM   #17
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

If you hit the ground at speed, ANY surface hurts!!

And yeah, I agree - Pern will probably never have an olympics or a world cup.
Old Jun 25 2008, 10:30 AM   #18
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernaficionado View Post
Really? That sounds like it would hurt.
all things considered tho, I don't really see sports on Pern as a "national" or what ever the term should be, kind of thing. Just kids games locally, or private holder rituals like in MHop
I don't know. It probably wouldn't hurt too much more than sliding on an astroturf field. Astroturf is softer, but gives you the turf burns, than a dirt field which is harder, but not as much "burn".

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26 2008, 08:17 AM   #19
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

Certainly Pern doesn't have the resources to support any professional athletes. What little extra they scrape up go to the Weyrs. However, kicking a ball around and doing things that show off farming skills is probably done. Things like ovine-canine (sheepdog, :p ) trials and rodeos.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26 2008, 03:00 PM   #20
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan

Quote:
Things like ovine-canine (sheepdog, :p ) trials and rodeos.
This made me think of the movie Babe --would a Pernese equivalent be of
Training Firelizards to round up the sheep etc...
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote