A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern > Science of Pern

Science of Pern This forum is for Edith's Science of Pern project. Please keep each post to one subject, and stay on topic; off topic posts may be moved or deleted. Guests may post in this forum (subject to change).

Old May 2 2018, 07:12 PM   #1
cicada
Slither

Fan of: Freedom series
Default Calendar & Threadfall Revisited

So, I've been in the process of writing and rewriting a fic involving Threadfall. The confounding thing is figuring out how exactly the calendar works, and the timing of Threadfall. So, I ended up constructing a list of points while I fiddle with a calendar different than Sariel's, since I think information from Dragonseye/Red Star Rising conflicts with her initially planned calendar.

So, list of points that I'm looking at -
  1. a Turn is 362 days (DLG).
  2. 12 months with two extra days, except this is contradicted in Skies of Pern, which suggests 13 months.
  3. a leap year occurs every 6th Turn (DLG).
  4. Thread attacks in the first 50 days of the First Pass occur every three days (DD).
  5. 16 Threadfall bands exist on the chart (DD).
  6. Landing is a 4 band (DD).
  7. Turn's End is a four day celebration (DE/RSR).
  8. The first day of Turn's End is the winter solstice, dubbed "First Day" (DE/RSR).
  9. Conclave meets the day before winter solstice (DE/RSR).
  10. Conclave may vote on the morning of First Day (DE/RSR).
  11. Conclave reconvenes four days later on the official beginning of the new year after votes have been counted (DE/RSR). The New Year is called "Turnover" in the Ninth Pass (SoP).
  12. First Fall they're able to meet in the Second Pass is a 10 band (DE/RSR)
  13. Roughly 6650 Thread attacks per Pass (DE/RSR).
  14. Threadfall starts around or after the spring equinox (DF)
  15. Threadfalls in Dragonflight are inconsistent with the charts provided in the US & UK editions of DD.
  16. By Skies of Pern, "Turnover" is its own celebration.

So, given points 1, 2, 7, 8, and 11, I think it's a safe bet that the winter solstice in the north is likely on day 27 of month 12 in a 12 month calendar (I think months 6 & 12 should have 30 days, not 31 as proposed). This places the summer solstice in the north roughly on day 27 of month 6. The spring and autumn equinoxes roughly would be on day 27 of months 3 and 9. In a 12 month calendar, Months 3 & 9 are my ideal placement for the additional two days, but only because of the date of the initial Landing Threadfall in Dragonsdawn (Month 4, Day 5). If the numbered bands correlate with where attacks would occur beginning with 1, with 31 days in Month 3, the Spring/Autumn Equinox would (generally speaking) mark the exact start of Threadfall. Also, I think it somewhat makes sense to "place" the extra day after the equinoxes, and potentially call it some sort of special rest day.

Alternatively, if it's a 13 month calendar as stated in Skies of Pern, then is it 12 months of 28 days and one month of 26 days?

Last edited by cicada; May 3 2018 at 12:11 AM.
cicada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2018, 04:53 AM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: Calendar & Threadfall Revisited

Perhaps you need to visit between and ask Anne?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2018, 11:39 AM   #3
cicada
Slither

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Perhaps you need to visit between and ask Anne?
Perhaps.
Old May 3 2018, 12:10 PM   #4
cicada
Slither

This is what I in theory came up with as a calendar for the option of 30 day months.

http://www.fantasy-calendar.com/cale...76904ab703b839

It takes 48 weeks for the Threadfall patterns to repeat the days of the week given a 3 day Threadfall pattern.

I'm fiddling with two different 28 day calendar at the moment, but the one for the 262 day turn lacks easy symmetry so I'm going to try to see what makes most sense.

Last edited by cicada; May 3 2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old May 3 2018, 05:18 PM   #5
cicada
Slither

Also, I reread more of Skies of Pern, which contradicts the Turn's End celebrations established in DE/RSR. But, it does mention "Turnover Past" while mentioning things like "Turnover First Night" and "Turnover Second night", so who knows.
Old May 4 2018, 02:17 PM   #6
cicada
Slither

The more I think about it, the more wrong I am in my understanding of point 4 in my original post. I think the attacks occur every ~2 days & 17-18 hours (~2.72-2.75 days), for ~6 hours, or ~2.5 days after the end of a previous Fall.

I say this because point 13 in my post suggests about 133 Falls per Turn.

(1) 6650 Falls/50 Turns=133 Falls per Turn.
(2) 362.167 days per Turn/133 Falls =2.723 days between Threadfalls

However, this makes the initial Threadfall Pattern in DD a 44 day pattern rather than a 48 day Pattern, so I don't know.
Old May 9 2018, 02:20 PM   #7
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I suspect that you have discovered another Ann-omoly!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:28 PM   #8
cicada
Slither

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I suspect that you have discovered another Ann-omoly!
But of course! Haha