A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old May 19 2012, 06:52 AM   #1
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Valdemar campanon question

I am writting a fan fict. and was wondering since companon's are reincarnaions of heralds and companon & their names often reflect what their old name was are they born knowing their names?

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 12:03 PM   #2
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Now Reading: Whatever I can get my hands on
Default Re: Valdemar campanon question

This is addressed in at least one of the short-story compliations, I think, and on Misty's website. Companions are fully aware of their past, including their name as a human. They will either pick a name for themselves as a Companion or have their Herald select one - it is entirely up to the individual Companion, though those who Choose humans with minimal telepathic ability are more likely to go the 'pick a name for me' route because they have a harder time communicating words. Some of the names are similar to their human names (Sayvil/Savil, for example), but not all by any stretch.
semantre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 01:27 PM   #3
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Do you think they need training it fighting or do older companons train younger ones?

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old May 22 2012, 02:11 PM   #4
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

There aren't many examples of a Companion fighting prior to Choosing a Herald, so that would be harder to guess at. Given that all Companions except for the Grove Born are reincarnated Heralds, they probably do not need much training - maybe some 'refresher courses', as it were, when they are young, but for the most part their combat-style training would probably be covered in the horsemanship classes after they Choose - because their job focuses more around fighting in concert with their Herald and not independently.
Old May 25 2012, 09:11 PM   #5
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

What I have the young companons doing is pratice running, jumping & kicking. The kicking is at targets. Mostly to get their bodies in shape. I figure that even if they remember how to fight their baby bodies would need to be built up.

The one I am writing about I have the young ones slowly remembering what they were before. Even if they remember they still have baby minds, I would think.

Old May 26 2012, 04:01 PM   #6
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

That seems reasonable.

One of my pet theories (in just about any fiction I do, fanfic or original) is that you can't just put a mind in a new body and have them able to 'drive' that body right away.

I would think even if a Companion has the experience of being a Herald once, they still have to learn their horse bodies.

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 08:55 PM   #7
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I don't think they would know everything when they are born. Their minds would not be mature at first. When they choose they mostly have the skills they need.

In a couple of books it was mentioned that elder companons could punish younger ones.
Punish might be a little harsh. There is some discipline.

Old May 29 2012, 11:25 AM   #8
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

Discipline is a form of punishment when you are speaking of taking corrective action: "she was disciplined" means that she was punished but is specific to the nature of the punishment (correction and training), whereas "she was punished" is more ambiguous and may cover a number of results. If the punishment was not enacted as correction and training, then using "discipline" would not be appropriate. Forms of punishment that are not discipline include loss of priviledges (which is displayed very well in Arrows of the Queen - Talia punishes Elspeth with the loss of her toys, her maid, and many other things throughout the book), the assessment of penalties (in physical goods, such as fines, or in hours of labor - which is where community service and the like fits in), and many different forms of humiliation, public and private (again, you see this in Arrows of the Queen).

I'd suggest reading Exile's Honor and Exile's Valor to see how Companions handle punishment and discipline - both forms appear in these books, and I personally feel it has the most in-depth look at relations between Companions among any of the novels.