A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Oct 25 2011, 05:44 AM   #1
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix
Default Petiron

I just had a thought...

I've been researching Asperger's Syndrome (partially on the basis that I think I might have it), and Petiron, as a character, seems to display some traits in MHoP that seem typical of this syndrome.

Asperger's Syndrome is considered to be on the autism spectrum, but high functioning. Here's a bit of what the Wikipedia says:

Quote:
Asperger syndrome or Asperger's syndrome or Asperger disorder is an autism spectrum disorder that is characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction, alongside restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests. It differs from other autism spectrum disorders by its relative preservation of linguistic and cognitive development.
With Petiron, consider:

* He was the Master Composer, and his work was often complicated and ornate, as opposed to Robinton's simpler tunes
* There is little evidence that he had hobbies other than his interest in music
* Petiron was able to completely miss his son's talents at first, and later more focused on not appearing to advocate favoritism than actual care for his son; he demonstrated limited empathy for a person who could not yet keep with him intellectually
* Petiron worked better with older, more disciplined students, as opposed to younger, less disciplined ones
* He also missed his wife's emotional nuances
* There's no reference to Petiron contacting Merelan when she left him and went to Benden with Robinton; he seems to have just let her and his son go
* He didn't seem to exhibit guile in his behaviors. He did not scheme or plan anything; he was dense and stubborn on some topics but forthright
* Merelan was a very empathic and loving woman, the sort that might have tolerance for others that are "different", enough tolerance to love one for his positive traits such as his mind and talent while overlooking empathic difficulties
* By the time Menolly came to him, many many many turns later, he seemed to have learned more nuance and understanding. I've read that many aspie folks do learn tolerance as they grow older...they just learn this form of empathy much slower and in more of a brute-force way than the more intuitive way of non-aspies. Petiron was at the end of his life when he met Menolly. I've also interacted directly with someone who I believe is an aspie, and he spoke to me about how much of a colossal jerk he was when younger, and how he has to work with himself to be less arrogant and more understanding and forgiving. These traits seem to have dulled with time, certainly by the time I met him, like Petiron's were shown to.
* Although I don't think Camo displayed classic "autism" traits as McCaffrey wrote him, I don't have enough experience with autistic people to know for sure. However, if Petiron could be considered an aspie, you could theorize that perhaps Camo was autistic, and not just affected by being born with the cord around his throat, as asperger's/autism spectrum disorders are heritable, and Robinton was likely a carrier
* Asperger's might not have been considered a genetic disease by the colonists; people with aspie traits make good scientists and intellectuals because they focus so completely on their topic of choice. The social difficulties are...well, difficult...but otherwise they bring a lot to the table with their mental skills. So it's conceivable that they were not screened out, and in some cases were welcomed

Fanderal and Wansor are two other characters displaying these traits, except without the specific social mishaps Petiron is written to have in MHoP. But that could be because we never see them "up close".

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25 2011, 07:50 PM   #2
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Re: Petiron

It could be.

It could also be that he was very, very talented at a young age. If he was treated as if he could do no wrong, than he just assumed he had the right to do what he wanted. After all rules did not apply to HIM.

Like the way sports stars are treated today. As long as they are good in sports rules do not apply for them They are above the rules. For some it starts in high school. They get by with stuff that would get any other student kicked out. They are not taught how to act in most social acceptable ways. At least that is how they are treated here.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26 2011, 01:56 AM   #3
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

He sounds like a lot of academics I know. They don't all have Aspergers, as far as I can tell, but they do get so used to thinking in certain ways and certain areas and with too similar people that their mindsets can become restricted out of habit.

The fact that Petiron mellowed once he'd moved out of academia per se and into a realm where there were people with more important concerns than music may have allowed him to stretch those atrophied mental muscles again.

I do think your thesis could hold water - but this is my alternative. And for what it's worth, Fandarel and Wansor also look more like normal academics to me. Out of the three of them Petiron is perhaps the best candidate for someone with Aspergers IMO.

Nice thread!
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26 2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

I've always thought of Petiron as one of those child geniuses that was so dedicated and, perhaps, pushed into his talent that he never really gained the social skills that most of us ordinary people develop by the time we reach adolescence. He was dedicated to Merelan, as was shown several times in the novel Masterharper, but his relationships with others, most especially his son, Robinton, showed some of his flaws.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27 2011, 06:51 AM   #5
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: rereading the crystal singer

I don't know about arperger's but Camo suffered from a lack of oxegen by his birth.
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27 2011, 09:19 PM   #6
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

He also came from Telgar Hold on of the largest, and outside of having a problem with some of the traning 'book isn't to hand, his time at the Harper Hall, was a continue, of his life, till the time, when he was in Southern Boll, teaching when he was traveling, he used a local product, 'it worked some of scores, where blotchy for writing down his scores and trusted his memory to fix them when he got back to the hall, and learned to put more than one bit on a hide,
I've been following this, and its been hard to translate into writing what I have in mind.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27 2011, 10:22 PM   #7
Blue Rider 16
Dylanist

Fan of: The Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: All The Weyrs of Pern

I'm skeptical of the ability to make Harper if suffering from Asperger's Syndrome. I know some people with Asperger's and I know that the biggest thing that is affected is social skills. Almost any ranking person on Pern needs to have good social skills, and a Harper definitely so. Petiron's specialty may be composition but to earn the rank of Master, especially at the Harper Hall itself, it seems to me that he'd need to have good social skills so Asperger's is unlikely.
Old Oct 28 2011, 05:00 AM   #8
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Yes: Camo had stage one cerebral palsy, Petiron? Not sure. As somebody with Aspergers I'm not sure I recognise him having the full blown version, but there are a range of effects (for instance: I can't read body language and I've no idea what my body language is transmitting, but it's not always the same as my words)

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28 2011, 05:41 PM   #9
Brenda

Honestly, there are huge variations in personality types without putting it down to Aspergers or Autism. There's a reason someone chooses to teach kindergarten rather than high school.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29 2011, 03:46 AM   #10
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

I have Asperger's syndrome, but I had a heckuva lotta empathy and tolerance as a kid. There are always variances. (shrug)
Old Nov 1 2011, 03:57 PM   #11
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
Honestly, there are huge variations in personality types without putting it down to Aspergers or Autism. There's a reason someone chooses to teach kindergarten rather than high school.
No kidding. (And fwiw, Aspergers CANNOT be diagnosed by taking an online quiz or reading a list of symptoms. Only a trained professional doing an exam can make a legitimate diagnosis--you haven't seen one and don't have on, you don't have any sort of autism spectrum disorder for all practical purposes.)
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7 2011, 08:07 PM   #12
Vari
Darbul

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
No kidding. (And fwiw, Aspergers CANNOT be diagnosed by taking an online quiz or reading a list of symptoms. Only a trained professional doing an exam can make a legitimate diagnosis--you haven't seen one and don't have on, you don't have any sort of autism spectrum disorder for all practical purposes.)
Well here in Oregon where I live you can have the educational label for autism without having seen a doctor at all. I know because my youngest is autistic and she got the educational label at three and a half I think. We didn't take her in to get tested for another six months due to time constraints and whatnot. Should have done it sooner of course... sigh

But getting back to Petiron. I always thought he was a nice person since Menolly loved him so much. Then I read Master Harper and was shocked. He changed a lot I think mostly due to his wife's death. I don't think he was autistic so much as just a pompous jerk.

Vari
Vari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7 2011, 11:43 PM   #13
Rianne

Fan of: dragon's dawn
Now Reading: Dream Theives

Yah, Masterharper is definitely known for its inconsistencies with the other books. Does anyone know, Did Anne intend him to... have so many social difficulties when she wrote him in Dragonsong? (that was written before MHoP, right?)
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8 2011, 01:51 PM   #14
Brenda

I mostly pretent MHoP doesn't exist. There are specific bits I like - such as his romance with Kasia - but the whole overarching theme of "Robinton was there!" at all the significant events is just irritating to me.

Sorry I can't be more specific but it's been a while since I read it.
Old Nov 8 2011, 02:29 PM   #15
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Now Reading: Whatever I can get my hands on

Most of what I took away from MHoP had to do with understanding the political situation in the time immediately prior to Dragonflight - a stronger grasp of what was happening throughout Pern during that period, which put some events in perspective for me.

I tend to think of Petiron as someone who had it all, didn't value what he had, and had a bit of a wake up call when he started losing things - his wife, his son, and finally, the respect and support of his fellow crafters. So in the period between his last appearance in MHoP and Menolly's recollections of him in Dragonsong - which takes place something like twelve years after Lessa Impresses Ramoth, I believe - he gets his act together, mellows out a bit, and finally tries to make amends the only way he can: by treating Menolly better than he treated Robinton, and trying to set her up to get the education and attention she needed/deserved.
semantre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8 2011, 11:19 PM   #16
Brenda

Can you imagine Petiron, his pride forcing him to leave the Harper Hall, resigned to teaching little children in an isolated Hold, and then to discover a talent like Menolly? I don't feel qualified to write that fanfic, but I would love to see some of those earlier years of her apprenticeship with him.
Old Nov 10 2011, 06:06 AM   #17
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

you would need to be a very good musician to make it plausible.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13 2011, 05:46 PM   #18
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I don't think he was forced out. He choose to leave. I think it was the only selfless thing he ever did. He wanted to make it easier for his son. The only time he ever thought of him.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13 2011, 09:47 PM   #19
Brenda

I didn't mean he was literally forced out. I said his pride forced him out - he felt he shouldn't stay in the Hall with his son there as Masterharper. For both their sakes. I think it was pride as much as anything.