A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Aug 30 2011, 11:47 PM   #41
Rianne
Inactive

Fan of: dragon's dawn
Now Reading: Dream Theives
Default Re: After The Fall

i don't think anyone else can write in Pern as well as Anne. after all, it is her world. i don't even like tods stuff.
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31 2011, 05:24 AM   #42
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Pern aside: the second Acorna book was a collection of short stories by others. So Anne's worlds can sell even without the McCaffrey cachet.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31 2011, 01:09 PM   #43
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Anne's worlds have so much potential, there is TONS of room for others to play. She has whole galaxies to run around in...Pern alone there's over a thousand years of unwritten stuff.

I seem to recall Gigi had some hand in "Beyond Between", too? (Which makes sense as isn't Moreta's physical description based on her, too?) And if she helped edit Moreta that's enough cred for me.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31 2011, 02:32 PM   #44
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Gigi published one short story in a volume I think was called "Mothers and Daughters" or something like it.

She has probably read galleys for a long time now, not just Moreta.
Mortea is not modelled after her, Robin Wood's portrait of Moreta is modelled after Gigi, that's something different

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6 2011, 01:08 AM   #45
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning

Fresh back from Dragon*Con and ridiculously tired, but this topic came up a few times in various panels. Forgive me if I misquote anything and feel free to correct me. The general consensus seemed to be that she's working on it with quite a bit of excitement on her part, and has turned in some work on it, thrown out a bunch (according to editor), but at the same time it felt like we were being cautioned not to get our hopes up too high.

On another Pern front, apparently Gigi has a story featuring Menolly and Piemur that she wants to do (according to Todd), and hopes to one day have the time to write it.
kindan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6 2011, 04:04 AM   #46
davidasix
Inactive

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: Feist and Wurts Empire Trilogy

Georgeanne has written several short stories with her mom that garnered official co-author status. I liked "Zeus: The Howling." I have not read "Bound By Hoof and Nail." I think something else was published only in German (I think), perhaps "Devil's Glen" here: http://www.sf-hefte.de/Details.php?i...Reihe=Goldmann SF&id_2=0
Speaking of which - any info would be appreciated.
davidasix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6 2011, 11:49 AM   #47
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindan View Post
Fresh back from Dragon*Con and ridiculously tired, but this topic came up a few times in various panels. Forgive me if I misquote anything and feel free to correct me. The general consensus seemed to be that she's working on it with quite a bit of excitement on her part, and has turned in some work on it, thrown out a bunch (according to editor), but at the same time it felt like we were being cautioned not to get our hopes up too high.
Hey, any news is good news. I'd take an outline of Anne's over a whole book by Todd any day, in fact.
Old Sep 7 2011, 06:44 AM   #48
Hans
Master Archivist

Good to hear you had a great time Kindan.

That's very interesting news about Gigi's plans. Didn't know that, will ask her about it

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Nov 4 2011, 04:08 PM   #49
Raphy
Inactive

Fan of: The Pern Series.
Now Reading: Dragon's Girl
Green Re: After The Fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
I would personally hate to see a Pern book without the name McCaffrey on it.

Definate quote! Todd got away with it just.. but some one totally different...? I dont think it would work quite so well.

We can only hope to god that dear Anne has many many years ahead and manages to finish at least a short to 'top it all off'. As for the title.. hey who cares.. whats most important is the name of the author under the title!

PS I do hope Anne is doing well health wise after the scare.
Raphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4 2011, 04:23 PM   #50
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphy View Post
Definate quote! Todd got away with it just.. but some one totally different...? I dont think it would work quite so well.
Go and read Dragonchoice then - best fanfic out there.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4 2011, 06:04 PM   #51
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Now Reading: Whatever I can get my hands on

I'm with Kath - there are other authors who can write phenomenal stories that are very much Pern.
semantre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4 2011, 08:12 PM   #52
Brenda

Including Kath! Read her Dragondays - it's canon, as far as I'm concerned!

Dragonchoice (at dragonchoice.com) takes place in an alternate timeline (read the intro at the site) but it's a very good read.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5 2011, 10:00 AM   #53
Raphy
Inactive

Will definately go and read the fan fic's. Thanks for the tip.
Old Nov 5 2011, 10:02 AM   #54
Raphy
Inactive

I suppose old habits die hard. The habit of wanting to see the McCaffrey name. Will definately go and read the fan fic's. Thanks for the tip.
Old Nov 5 2011, 03:53 PM   #55
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
Including Kath! Read her Dragondays - it's canon, as far as I'm concerned!
And it's posted over here.
Old Nov 5 2011, 06:36 PM   #56
Brenda

Oh, yeah, I guess I could have included that information...
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2012, 03:37 PM   #57
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:

On another Pern front, apparently Gigi has a story featuring Menolly and Piemur that she wants to do (according to Todd), and hopes to one day have the time to write it.
Has anyone heard how finished, After the Fall, was? And if it is ever going to be published.

I can understand if it needs to wait until Todd/Gigi can finish/polish it.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22 2012, 11:40 AM   #58
Hans
Master Archivist

I don't think Anne's latest book is ever to be published. I'm hesitant to talk about the plot and the story but I didn't like it and I did tell Anne. She had tried to get it publoished it since 2007 and DelRey refused it twice, so the people at the publisher's obviously didn't believe in it. It was... erm, different and I personally think not at all what fans would have liked. I do hope neither Gigi nor Todd will ever take it up.

Old Jun 22 2012, 11:55 PM   #59
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Without going into detail, Hans, WAS it the end of the Pass and the ultimate fates of Lessa, F'lar et al?

And if Del Rey kept saying no...that's usually a sign it's really not good, when it's one of their established stable who has a solid track record of sales.
Old Jun 23 2012, 07:39 AM   #60
Lily

Yes,most surprising. I think I'd prefer to have everything wrapped up nicely rather than something like F'lar caught in the final thread fall and Golanth going Between out of frustration at not being able to fly!!!!!

But still! I'm filled with "satiable curtiosity" about Anne's book!!!
Old Jun 24 2012, 12:09 AM   #61
kindan

From what I heard at Dragon*Con last year, there was an entire draft completed, but it was going to be completely rewritten. I haven't asked Todd what happened with it since Anne's passing because it almost feels disrespectful if that makes sense.
Old Jun 24 2012, 06:50 AM   #62
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
Without going into detail, Hans, WAS it the end of the Pass and the ultimate fates of Lessa, F'lar et al?

And if Del Rey kept saying no...that's usually a sign it's really not good, when it's one of their established stable who has a solid track record of sales.
Unfortunately it wasn't, Anareth. Far from it. The plot opened up all sorts and far too many new possibilities and did not give any kind of closure. Some people, me among them, requested a short story with the subject you mean because we so dearly would have read about it. But as far as I know Anne never started it :-(

Old Jun 24 2012, 02:29 PM   #63
kindan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Unfortunately it wasn't, Anareth. Far from it. The plot opened up all sorts and far too many new possibilities and did not give any kind of closure. Some people, me among them, requested a short story with the subject you mean because we so dearly would have read about it. But as far as I know Anne never started it :-(
On the subject of possibilities of the future, Todd started discussing this at length at Bay-Con about 3-4 weeks ago. I'll try to summarize the basics as best I can, I don't know if any of it came from After The Fall or if they were just Todd's thoughts on Pern's future (he did explicitly say that Sky Dragons was the last Pern book he was going to do for awhile, so these are just ideas):

- One, his sister has an idea for a Menolly/Sebell future story and he'd love her to write it. He's said this before.
- Two, the future of Pern once thread is gone. Dragons ability to go between comes with pockets of air around them, which means to him that as they learn more about the solar system there, they could venture to other worlds for brief periods of time and explore beyond the Red Star, and use those pockets of air to look around when a world didn't have a breathable atmosphere. If a dragon can go back so far in time, it can definitely make the leap between to other worlds. So space faring dragons.

Interesting concepts, but I'm not sure fans would react well to those.
Old Jun 24 2012, 07:15 PM   #64
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

That does not sound like something I would read. I can see other people going there, but I don't think dragons should be able to leave.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2012, 01:55 AM   #65
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
- Two, the future of Pern once thread is gone. Dragons ability to go between comes with pockets of air around them, which means to him that as they learn more about the solar system there, they could venture to other worlds for brief periods of time and explore beyond the Red Star, and use those pockets of air to look around when a world didn't have a breathable atmosphere. If a dragon can go back so far in time, it can definitely make the leap between to other worlds. So space faring dragons.
I like the idea of space-faring dragons. I like the idea of dragons being able to withstand a short time in vacuum - heck, we've already seen that in ATWOP. I'll even go with dragons being able to take a small air-pocket between with them.

But ye cannae break the laws of physics! Okay, well you can't break MORE of them, especially when it contradicts what's already been shown to be the case in ATWOP. Take a pocket of air with you /between/, bring it back out with you, and it WILL disperse. Wrap it in some kind of hard-field, and eventually, you WILL suffocate, plus you have a brand new ability that really makes no sense at all.

A bigger problem, AFAICT, is motivation. We explore space for knowledge - that AIVAS already has. We may one day want to spread our wings beyond our own planet - Pern already has a brand new continent to exploit. There may be some pressure for resources - but the most important one of those is what they already have, and they can get anything extra from dragons bringing a few asteroids home from one of the TWO belts in the system. I can see a few lone explorers heading out into the wide dark yonder, but I don't see a planet-motivating *plot* anywhere in the vicinity - unless there's a sudden appearance of the Nathi or something like that.

Now there would be a plot. A resurgance of the Nathi just as the dragons are exploring the human parts of the local galaxy, the dragons being initially mistaken for a new alien bioweapon (which they are - anything with the innate ability to drop fast moving mass into a gravity well with little to no warning is the best weapon against the planetbound there is), some kind of stealthed and doubled threat to Pern itself as the Nathi and the humans both back-track the explorers to their source (Rukbat narrows it down a lot, and I'm sure an overheard conversation could be easily engineered), a last gasp rescue of the planet followed by the Pernese kicking the shit out of the Nathi homeworld. A side-plot could be some kind of human and/or Nathi research project on the dragons' abilities, via a dragon whose rider has been kidnapped and who can't be located by the dragon, with the end result that TK powers can be engineered into other races.

And finally, some Vorlon-type external agency, the protectors of the plot*cough* I mean causal continuum, wiping out all the dragons and re-engineered humans in a flash because time travel is a REALLY bad thing to do to your otherwise-healthy universe...

Sorry. Got a bit carried away there... Nutshell = Pern needs a new external threat to motivate a further space-based dragon book. Making the meteor in Skies a well-aimed one by a time-travelling Nathi is one way to do it.
Old Aug 16 2012, 03:50 PM   #66
Sadi
Inactive

Fan of: Masterharper of Pern
Now Reading: Something my Maria V. Snyder

Gigi is or was an editor at some point in time and a fact checker and made sure the flow was okay for her own mother. She never showed any desire to follow in her mother's foot steps and write in the world. Todd was the only one.

As for this book if some of the new information about what is going on with her stuff it may be published as is with Gigi and Todd finishing the edits and cleaning it up. Since all three kids hold stock in the world of Pern and make the choices now. The other two seem to be looking at Todd on what to do next with it all. I get this information via an junior editor at Del Rey who works in the SciFi/Fan area as a proof reader. In other words the person there who sends me the early copies of books to write reviews on.

I know with a few of her other projects they are now back on track since there were other authors heavily involved in them and they knew where she wanted to go with the story.

The movie is also back on track as she had already given Todd and the other two the rights to make choices on it since she could not travel like she use to. The snippet of the plot I have seen seems to place the movie as Dragonsdawn not Dragonflight
Sadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2012, 03:30 AM   #67
skywaterblue
Heavyworlder

Now Reading: Never Let Me Go

Hrm. I buy that a junior editor at DelRay would be interested in having the kids clean up her final Pern novel for eventual sale. I would rate that as 'extremely likely to happen' even if there wasn't a potential source simply because it is Standard Operating Procedure for big cash-cow SF/Fantasy series. (As Neil Gaiman says, if you don't want them to do it, get your house in order today, not tomorrow.)

I'm much more skeptical about Dragonsdawn as the film. I can see several reasons to do it. Hollywood angle of attack says it's easier to do sci-fi than fantasy - which as cliche as that sounds in an era of three Hobbit films, Harry Potter and Game of Thrones, still holds in some circles.

But there are a lot of challenges to Dragonsdawn that Dragonflight does not have: namely, that Dragonsflight has an easier story to adapt to a one and done film and is less meandering. The main characters are F'lar and Lessa. Lessa's journey to power as Weyrwoman neatly explains the rules of the world. If it's successful, the sequels are built in.

Dragonsdawn meanders across a decade of time, with at least four or five main focal characters, the dragons don't show up until two-thirds of the way in, and it has all the standard problems of a prequel done way after the original material... only doing it as a movie means it's the audiences intro to Pern. The only reason I could see pitching it this was if you were really convinced that audiences will not see a fantasy film with dragons in 2012, or if you pitched it as 'the Original Avatar'.

I'm not saying I doubt you, just that I think it's unlikely.
skywaterblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2012, 02:41 PM   #68
Sadi
Inactive

Fan of: Masterharper of Pern
Now Reading: Something my Maria V. Snyder

The following was in the trades and is now on IMDB plus. David Hayter is listed as the screenplay writer.

Quote:
Colonists on a distant planet fleeing memories of a vicious war and overcrowding settle on an Earth-like planet. A decade later the planet is attacked and the settlers must defend themselves while dealing with dwindling resources and natural disaters. Their answer is to genetically engineer "dragons" to replace their worn and broken flying machines.
Sadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21 2012, 07:39 AM   #69
Hans
Master Archivist

Sadi, I am of the strong opinion that everything you (will) read about After the Fall is pure rumour. I don't think Todd nor Gigi will take up that manuscript. I personally think and hope the book will never be published.

As for the movie, I suppose that if that ever becomes reality, it'll indeed cover Dragomnsdawn + Ninth Pass events in one. That sounds the most sensible and I think that was the plan from the beginning.

Old Aug 24 2012, 08:45 PM   #70
skywaterblue
Heavyworlder

Now Reading: Never Let Me Go

Dragonsdawn + DF is too much material unless the movie is three hours long OR the flashback scenes are very short. And there doesn't seem to be a natural bridge at all, unless this script is doing strange, strange things to Pern canon.* So I sincerely hope that isn't true, because going with that approach seems like a truly bad idea.

I don't have extremely high hopes that Copperheart will turn this film over to start with, but if this is what the rumor mill is going with, my doubts are even higher. I suppose some news might come out at DC this week. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

*I actually did just think of a third way, but it's not the sort of story structure you see outside wildly independent films. And surely any Pern film - with its CGI demands and light scifi/fantasy major book franchise setting - is going to be initially conceived as a major summer film. You don't get someone like Hayter unless you think that's the pitch.
skywaterblue is offline   Reply With Quote