A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Oct 12 2009, 04:22 AM   #1
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!
Default Possible List Of Hold Foundings

Some time back, I was reading through the Atlas of Pern, and I was also wondering about the order of the foundings of the holds and weyrs. I had seen various inconsistencies over some things, such as which weyr was built third (High Reaches or Telgar?). Personally, I think that the older notes are the accurate ones, and an possible explanation for the mistakes is that the records were damaged over time on Pern. Presented here, is a theory I made about the founding of the holds, using notes from the books, as well as some notes from the DLG, and noting the hold sizes and divisions from the Atlas.

1. Fort Built
We know Fort was built first, and everybody was forced to cram into it.
2. Fort Weyr Built
With the dragons getting bigger in both size & population, a home was needed. This had been completed by the time Boll was built.
3. Southern Boll Built
Started in 17AL, Pierre de Coucis, husband of the late Emily Boll, took a group of people and started his own hold, which was used for people to expand in.
4. Ruatha Built
Started in 19AL, Red Hanrahan took a group of people to not only build a new home, but to provide room for livestock.
5. Tillek Founded
Simultaneously started, Zi Ongola took a group of people to found a new hold. Jim Tillek & the Dolphineers joined them.
6. Telgar Built
Telgar was built after people got less fearful of thread and started spreading out. Telgar started as a mininghold.
7. Tillek Named
Jim Tillek had died by now, and had presumably served as Lord Holder for a while, and the hold was named for him.
8. People Spreading
As Mentioned above, people were starting to leave Fort in favour of founding their own holds. Although not founded yet, Bendenites would move westwards to colonize, and Fort eastwards.
9. Colony on Big Island (Ista)
A minor colony exists on Ista (Still called Big Island), as referred to in First Fall.
10. Telgar & Ista used as overflow Weyrs
Mentioned in First Fall, the site of Telgar Weyr was being used as an overflow point for fighting dragons, while the site of Ista Weyr was being used for mating queens. Neither were considered “Permanent Weyrs”.
11. Boll Expanded
Boll is mentioned to have expanded enough that Fort Weyr has to protect it and its many cotholds.
12. Benden Weyr Built
Started in 20AL, Benden Weyr was created to reduce crowding in the packed Fort Weyr, and was positioned so to gain help from settlers in the area.
13. Telgar & Ista planned for development
As new Weyrs were being founded, Telgar and Ista were proposed to be founded next as there were settlers already there. Dragons lived there while others found time to help built the Weyrs.
14. Benden Founded
Colonised by the inhabitants of Longwood, Benden Hold was completed with the help of the nearby Weyr, who let the settlers live in their caverns until the hold was completed.
15. Telgar Recognised as Major Hold
Telgar has been mentioned as being founded after Benden, so presumably it wasn’t as important until now. Plus settlers were starting to spread, and presumably a majority set up farming holds in the vast Telgar area.
16. Nerat Founded
According to the DLG, Nerat was founded by people from the same group who founded Benden. Their ships landed here, and some stayed to found Nerat, while others came back at a later date. The name Nerat comes from the initials of the founders.
17. Ista Founded
Despite a small colony existing there, Ista was built by colonists from Ierne Island (Uppsala & Lochahatchee), and, like Nerat, was named from the initials of the founders.
18. Nabol Founded
Judging by the size and the borders, Nabol was originally a part of Tillek, but a small group of dissidents who supported the actions of Nabhi Nabol split from it to form a new hold.
19. High Reaches Founded
We know that Fort expanded eastwards. Most would have gone to Telgar lands, some would have expanded into the surrounding region, and some would have moved north to found High Reaches Hold, which was named after a nickname for the mountains.
20. High Reaches Weyr Founded
Sorka mentions in First Fall that they have enough dragons for three, maybe four Weyrs. Presumably this was founded to not only protect the northern lands and help lighten Fort’s load, but also to provide room for the dragons that couldn’t fit at a crowded Fort or the unfinished Weyrs.
21. Benden Expands To Include Bitra & Lemos Lands
As mentioned below, Bitra and Lemos were both founded by Benden colonists, and presumably started out linked to the Major Hold.
22. Keroon Founded
Judging by the borderline and the expansion of the settlers, Keroon was founded by more settlers from Benden, who claimed the hills in the area, and this makes their border. The hold was obviously named for Ezra Keroon.
23. Lemos Founded
According to the DLG, Lemos was founded as an offshoot of Benden Hold, so Bitra must not have been built yet, for their lands to have been considered a part of Benden. Lemos was founded by Bart Lemos’s children, and some others who believed him an unsung hero.
24. Bitra Founded
According to the DLG, Bitra was founded by Bendenites who disagreed with the history of Avril Bitra as recorded by Benden Hold. They believed that she had gone for help while the leaders of Pern did nothing. They split from Benden and founded their own hold not very far from Benden.
25. Igen Founded
Igen could have been founded at any time, due to the location being dead centre of the northern continent, but the fact that the hold is on the eastern side hints that it was settlers from Benden. Being the least hospitable of lands, this probably also means that Igen was colonised last. Presumably this was also named by the initials of the founders. The land divisions would have been worked out later, as western Igen was probably considered a part of South Telgar.
26. Telgar Weyr Moves To Igen
According to the DLG, Igen flew Telgar lands for a while. Presumably, with the Weyr not completed and the cold hated by the riders, they moved to found Igen, which would need less construction work done on it, and which also had settlers nearby at South Telgar Hold that needed protecting.
27. Igen Weyr Founded
See Above. Igen is also mentioned as having the largest job for a while, protecting both Keroon and Igen river holds, as well as Telgar lands. Presumably this was until Ista was finished.
28. Ista Weyr Founded
According to the DLG, Ista came fifth, and construction was assisted by a child of Joel Lilienkamp. The Weyr was completed in the 42nd year of the colony (It isn’t clear whether they mean Ista or the continent in general. Prob Ista, as the DLG states that all Weyrs after Benden were built in the interval. This has since been Retconned.). Ista would have assisted the overworked Igen, and this explains their rather odd division of areas to protect.
29. Telgar Weyr Founded
The DLG states that Telgar Weyr was one of the earliest sites chosen, but the last to be occupied. Telgar was probably built to house extra dragons, and to relieve Igen from their vast areas of protection. Plus, the holders at Telgar were probably able to help with construction a lot more than before.
30. Crom Founded
Crom was founded towards the end of the second pass in an attempt to make mining easier by setting up a hold right next to one of the major mining areas. Judging by the border maps, they were given the entire North-West region of Telgar. Crom was, once again, named from the initials of the founders.
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12 2009, 04:37 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Possible List Of Hold Foundings

Quite the document. I'll go through it when I've got the time and compare with my data. Have you tested the data from Atlas and DLG against the books, too? I'm pretty sure that (especially MHoP) will create some discrepancies.

Thank you for compiling it.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12 2009, 04:48 AM   #3
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I could be wrong but I think that in your comment between #8 & #9 you've got east and west mixed up.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12 2009, 05:54 AM   #4
Almaron
Weyr Harper

No, what I meant there is that People moved eastwards from Fort Hold (Towards Telgar), and westwards from the Benden area (Towards Bitra, Lemos, Keroon & Igen)
Old Oct 12 2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Northeast from Fort would be more accurate then if you are meaning people moved to Telgar. Pure east would have them in the sea...

But that's nitpicking.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17 2009, 12:56 AM   #6
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

My take on this issue from a previous thread:

"The established order of founding has always been Fort, Benden, High Reaches, Igen, Ista and Telgar.

I could easily see the six sites being identified very early on, as well as many of the 15 sites associated with the classic major holds. But that doesn't mean they were founded rapidly. We know that places like Crom came along much later.

Fort was definitely first among the holds and before holds were established outside Fort Weyr's territory, Southern Boll and Ruatha were established. The next place we know was settled was Tillek (which falls under High Reaches eventual jurisdiction) and Benden (creating the obvious need for an eastern Weyr). At this point there aren't roads throughout Pern...except for the sea and rivers. So a logical settlement pattern would follow these natural features. Continuing to spread from Fort and these first daughter holds, the next likely places to settle would be High Reaches, Ista, Igen, and Nerat. Next, pushing up rivers would be Nabol, up the Crom river, Lemos up the Igen river, and Bitra, up the Benden river.

Keroon's an odd-ball. If it has ready access to the coast, it might have been settled in the same wave as High Reaches.

Crom and Telgar are very far upriver. We know Crom came along late, and Telgar also presents difficulties as an early settlement site because there is obviously something wrong with the "Great Dunto River." There isn't a single settlement noted anywhere on the western branch, nothing short of Telgar itself on the central branch and nothing short of Campbell's Field on the eastern branch. We know Telgar would be a desirable place for a hold (and it would appear that at least limited mining started there early), but getting there would be a bear overland. So the path to Telgar is up the Great Dunto, but something tells me there is a problem with cataracts along that stream. So it would make sense for Telgar to be one of the last major holds, and providing coverage for late-founded holds like Crom and Telgar would logically make Telgar Weyr the last to be established.

It's also possible that the settlers overreached themselves. They may have set out to occupy all these sites immediately and may have been forced to scale back and/or abandon their plans. It's also highly likely that they would have been unable in the early years to support six Weyrs of dragons, perhaps also forcing a delay in the establishment of certain Weyrs.

Given the logical settlement pattern, it would make sense for Benden to be the second Weyr and for the stated purpose, thereby providing continental coverage split east/west between Benden and Fort, especially given Benden's great size. Continued overcrowding at Fort would create an impetus to create another daughter Weyr early, and with Tillek and High Reaches amongst the earliest holds, establishing a Weyr in that region next would make sense. Some sort of settlement in the middle of the continent would be desired next to gradually build trans-continental infrastructure. Ista doesn't provide this except by sea, and as the Weyr-site there is quite comfortable without substantial development, it could wait. This makes the logical places for the next development along the cost of the continent. Major holds spring up at Igen and Keroon, but interestingly, not at the mouth of the Great Dunto River. Igen Weyr is well-positioned to cover both; thus we have number four.

By this point, Ista has probably been in continuous low-grade use and it likely becomes a moot point that it should be finished next. This leaves only the upland area of the continent to settle and cover, and Telgar comes last."

Establishing Telgar as a major settlement earlier doesn't necessarily invalidate this general scheme as the primary reason for founding Telgar is the mining. Any spread of agriculture in the area may have been difficult in the early years for lack of cover on the plains, so while Telgar may have been established as a hold, and an important one, the size of its population may have been nothing like that seen later, in 9th Pass. If the land-usage was less broad, it would have again created less pressure to have a local Weyr up and running before other sites.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18 2009, 05:38 PM   #7
Brenda

ED, something you don't seem to be taking into account: the story "The Second Weyr" shows Benden Weyr being established before the Hold of that name; I'm not sure that there were any Holds on the east coast yet at that point. Telgar Hold is already established, so it's no surprise that they call the Weyr by that name, but "Benden" is a new name at that point.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18 2009, 05:40 PM   #8
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

That all seems very well thought out to me.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19 2009, 08:58 PM   #9
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
ED, something you don't seem to be taking into account: the story "The Second Weyr" shows Benden Weyr being established before the Hold of that name; I'm not sure that there were any Holds on the east coast yet at that point. Telgar Hold is already established, so it's no surprise that they call the Weyr by that name, but "Benden" is a new name at that point.
Yeah, that was a bit of RetCon (or maybe just elaboration) detail that came later.

It really doesn't matter much whether Benden Weyr or Hold came first, the purpose and intent were unchanged.

That Telgar was already established is also prefectly reasonable with the settlement pattern, as IIRC it was primarily a mining operation first. IIRC, Telgar's later glory, stature and size were the result of recent construction immediately prior to 9th Pass.

When you look at the settlement pattern, and the AoP, there is a marked lack of settlement on the Telgar plains, and along the Great Dunto River and its three branches, of which the Telgar River is one. Compared to holds scattered all over Keroon, it speaks to some sort of difficulty in settling the area. In all probability, being grasslands, there aren't a lot of places with much stone or many caves. And I still suspect cataracts somewhere along those rivers to make transporting the appropriate materials difficult as well.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2009, 10:25 AM   #10
Brenda

Oh, I didn't think about the story having been published later. (Duh!)
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15 2010, 02:03 AM   #11
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
2cent Re: Possible List Of Hold Foundings

CoP SW
Another reason it was called East Coast Weyr, for after the creations of the new groups it was the new Weyr Residents named it, Benden.

Telgar for that where Telgar was mining at the time.

It took Zi and his group five years to come up with Tillek,

DE/RSR has infomation on Bita and Crom too.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17 2010, 09:38 PM   #12
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Northeast from Fort would be more accurate then if you are meaning people moved to Telgar. Pure east would have them in the sea...

But that's nitpicking.
How would moving east have Fortians in the sea?
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22 2011, 07:44 AM   #13
Almaron
Weyr Harper

(Argh, another old topic) Was reading through RSR/DE again, and from what I saw it could be that Crom wasn't the last Holding founded. At the meeting of Lord Holders at the beginning, Keroon, Igen, Lemos and Nabol weren't mentioned, and were not even in the character list at the start of the book. Igen Weyr did exist however, and Keroon Hold was mentioned as a location later on, could this suggest that Keroon was a minor Hold by the 2nd Pass, and Igen not populated then either?

Should probably go over and edit one of my old notes again - Nabol was likely founded by Ruathans, not Tillekians; Nabol is essentially one big valley that exits into Ruathan territory, although the main road goes over the hills to nearby Crom.

Something else I noticed was that apparently the title of Lord Holder was granted to the original major northern stakeholders. I wonder, were these stakeholders the same holders of major stakes in the south? We know that Ierne settlers founded Benden (and likely Bitra and Nerat)...although, no, most of these were set up by people from Landing. Ah well. I just thought that Lemos was supposed to have been founded by Bart Lemos' kids, or perhaps maybe by the people who shared a stake with him in the south.
Old Jun 22 2011, 02:10 PM   #14
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post

It really doesn't matter much whether Benden Weyr or Hold came first, the purpose and intent were unchanged.

That Telgar was already established is also prefectly reasonable with the settlement pattern, as IIRC it was primarily a mining operation first. IIRC, Telgar's later glory, stature and size were the result of recent construction immediately prior to 9th Pass.
Telgar Minehold was basically under cover, and probably traded metals and manufactured goods for food in its early years, so it needn't have extensive croplands to protect at that point. There would be enough riders and dragons at Fort to keep the area Thread-free and allow some vegetation to grow. At the time of "Second Weyr" they were ready to think about expanding their croplands, and doing other things besides Smith-crafting. I don't know when the Craft-hall and Hold became separate concerns --- maybe within a decade of the Weyr being founded, maybe at the start of the First Interval.

Benden was a different matter. The land would be in no condition for growing vines or anything else after two decades of Thread-fall, unless the Weyr had already been sending a few wings up every Thread-fall to allow the natural vegetation to grow back --- and they wouldn't have had the dragonpower to do that for several turns.

According to "Second Weyr" work started on Benden Weyr first, and when the first ship-load of holders arrived, the masons and carpenters helped the weyrfolk finish the basic work on the dragons' weyrs and riders' living quarters before going off to work on Benden Hold. It would take quite a few turns before the Hold would be able to support the Weyr with a full tithe. The riders went back to Landing to retrieve some chickens and other livestock to feed the new Weyr (no explanation how THEY'd managed to survive in the South), and would probably continue to do so.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23 2011, 05:13 AM   #15
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Keroon has a Port the Beastcrafthall is a shiped runners in, Moreta Dragonlady of Pern, for they shipped their stock early 'lack of ice'

For in Renegades of Pern, a Master, its in a loop was taken his mares to there, after a sea-trip, and lost his help, and and later on the Beastmaster, to take a mare to Benden Hold, Jayge helped them both out.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jun 24 2011, 01:29 AM   #16
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Further on in Red Star Rising, when the characters plan to unanimously impeach Chalkin of Bitra, Nabol, Igen, Lemos, Keroon & Ruatha are not mentioned. We know Ruatha and Keroon both exist at this point, and Ruatha's Lord Holder was present at the beginning, so perhaps Keroon was a minor hold at this point? Only Benden, Nerat & Telgar have been mentioned as being connected with Bitra, which could suggest that Bitra included Lemos at this point, and Nerat included Keroon. It's worth noting that the gap between the two is called Nerat Bay, so it's not hard to imagine a split happening over time.

EDIT: No wait, Keroon was mentioned as an important area later on in the book.

Igen must exist to some extent - Igen Weyr exists at this point - perhaps the Weyr was founded when the land was devoid of settlers, and they adopted the name for their Hold when it was founded. Certainly Nerat or Telgar can't have held the Igen lands before the naming of the Weyr, otherwise the Weyr would bear that name.

Nabol likely doesn't exist by this point - Crom is described as being on Ruatha's borders, when Nabol touches more of Crom's borders than Ruatha. Since at this point in time the inhabitants of Pern still knew the history of their ancestors well, it's likely it was founded, perhaps along with Lemos, by people who thought that they had been misrepresented by history, which makes more sense in some ways - less likely that their peers would have seen them as unsung heroes, but it's common for people to examine history and go "Oh, was (person) really as bad as they say?"

Last edited by Almaron; Jun 24 2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old Jun 24 2011, 07:53 AM   #17
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

A weyr would need a hold nearby for support (easy delivery of tithes, availability of crafthalls, etc.) so the founding od a hold might, in some cases) well follow that of the relevant weyr,

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2011, 03:22 AM   #18
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Had another look at DB to see which Holds had been founded by the end of the Pass - the older Pern books state that the Weyrs were founded in the intervals, but we now know this to have been retconned.

By the end of the First Pass, the following places existed:

Fort Hold
Fort Weyr
Southern Boll Hold
Ruatha Hold
Tillek Hold
Benden Weyr
Benden Hold
Telgar Hold (and likely Telgar Weyr)
Ista Weyr (and likely Ista Hold - a settlement existed there prior to the Weyr)
High Reaches Weyr

RSR states that Bitra was established after the "First Fall", and we know Crom wasn't founded until the start of the Second Pass. This leaves the following places unaccounted for:

High Reaches Hold
Igen Weyr
Igen Hold
Keroon Hold
Lemos Hold
Nabol Hold
Nerat Hold

High Reaches Hold was likely founded with the Weyr. Igen's timing is uncertain - if the old order of Weyr founding is still accurate, then it would likely have been founded first, and the Hold afterwards. As suggested above, this likely means it was done to get an even amount of coverage on the north continent, and probably also to protect expanding territories, such as Keroon, which could possibly have been founded around the same time as Bitra, both being vast stretches of land near the main settlement at Benden.
DLG states that Nerat was founded by the Benden settlers who docked there when heading north, so that could have been founded before or at the same time as Bitra.

Due to the fact that they haven't been mentioned thus far, I'd assume that Lemos and Nabol were founded after the First Interval. The DLG states Lemos was founded by the children of Bart Lemos (which could either mean that Lemos had kids, whether from a union of some sort or even a one night stand). It also states that Lemos was founded as an offshoot of Benden, which either means that it predates Bitra Hold (which would be necessary, as his kids would likely have passed away by that point), or that the DLG is wrong again, and it was founded by historical revisionists, as at Bitra.

Nabol wasn't popular when he was alive, was he? It could be that if Nabol was the last hold founded, the inhabitants were really just trying to show their support for the example set by Bitra and possibly Lemos, and picked the last name left.
Old Jun 25 2011, 04:07 AM   #19
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaron View Post
Had another look at DB to see which Holds had been founded by the end of the Pass - the older Pern books state that the Weyrs were founded in the intervals, but we now know this to have been retconned.

By the end of the First Pass, the following places existed:

Fort Hold
Fort Weyr
Southern Boll Hold
Ruatha Hold
Tillek Hold <snip> Nameless for five years,
Benden Weyr
Benden Hold
Telgar Hold (and likely Telgar Weyr) <sinp> used, but like Big Island, which became Ista Weyr (and likely Ista Hold - a settlement existed there prior to the Weyr) Chronicles of Pern: The Second Weyr
There were wings all ready stations, one of the queen rider's didn't care for the cold of the site, and Telgar's told his folks about the founding of the Weyr, up there,

High Reaches Weyr, and Igen Weyr, also spoken in the same short story.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons

Last edited by GinnyStar; Jul 6 2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old Jun 25 2011, 06:12 AM   #20
Almaron
Weyr Harper

High Reaches Weyr and Igen Weyr were proposed in the story, but we're not sure exactly when they were built. For instance, if the order of the Weyr foundings has been retconned by The Second Weyr (Fort, Benden, Ista/Telgar, High Reaches/Igen), then these Weyrs might have been founded at drastically different times. Igen isn't mentioned in Dragonsblood; does this mean it hasn't been colonised by the end of the First Pass, or did the Igen Weyrleader just not have a lot to say in the meeting?

However, if the order of Weyr foundings remains the same (Fort, Benden, High Reaches, Igen, Ista, Telgar), then we can assume that the High Reaches and Igen craters got priority over the settlements at Ista (then Big Island) and Telgar for whatever reason - perhaps, as mentioned somewhere above, to better spread out over the north. This would mean that all the Weyrs (save possibly Telgar, which, like Igen, wasn't mentioned) have been set up by the end of the First Pass.
Old Jul 6 2011, 03:12 AM   #21
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Hmm...it's a short note, but I've wondered if there's any significance behind the layout of the Nerat Shield - Orange and Yellow diagonally divided in two. Orange and Yellow are the colours of Ista and Igen Weyrs, respectively, and for a while I wondered if the diagonal could refer to the shape Nerat points in, or even the divided territory.

Of course, this probably doesn't work, because I don't think Igen deals with Nerat. Perhaps Igen flew Nerat for a while when things were getting started (although this seems unlikely, as it would make more sense for Benden to have handled the East while Igen handled the centre. Plus, this places Ista's area of coverage above Igen's. This would make more sense if this crest was reversed, and used for Keroon instead, which is divided between Igen and Ista).

As for Igen and Ista Holds, they could have modelled their shields before or after their respective Weyrs were founded. Ista's is just Orange with White, much like the Orange of the Weyr. Igen's is Red and Yellow, which could suggest shared territory with Benden. If this was right, this could suggest that Igen Weyr was founded before Igen Hold, which took the colours of the two Weyrs protecting it. Except, the problem again - the colours would need to be reversed.

Other shields...I suppose Ruatha's colours represent the Brown of Fort Weyr and "Red" Hanrahan. Tillek's shield layout is similar to Fort's - perhaps they were acknowledging this? Bitra and Lemos' shields are very similar, presumably this was intentional - the Hold founded later copying the earlier shield to show their support for their differing view of history depicting the dissidents as heroes. Keroon's odd colouring is interesting (three colours, vertically striped multiple times) - perhaps three major families settled it? High Reaches shares the shield design of Ista and Igen - perhaps these were all founded around the same time?

On the other hand, methinks these statements are foolish. Never mind.
Old Jul 6 2011, 10:07 AM   #22
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Now Reading: Whatever I can get my hands on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaron View Post
On the other hand, methinks these statements are foolish. Never mind.
Not foolish, but you are probably overthinking something that Anne herself doesn't seem to have put much thought into.
semantre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6 2011, 02:57 PM   #23
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by semantre View Post
Not foolish, but you are probably overthinking something that Anne herself doesn't seem to have put much thought into.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6 2011, 09:37 PM   #24
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

2cent Re: Possible List Of Hold Foundings

Tillek's shield layout is similar to Fort's, along with High Reaches, in needing cold wet weather, clothing the 'sweater' just like the one that Jim Tillek was wearing during the Southern Cross's looking for 'nests'/eggs', the start of the trip, the one that Bay impressed her gold in.

Fisherfolks are both based in all three areas, too. Just my two bits worth.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old May 17 2012, 12:54 AM   #25
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Been doing some reading, and I've noticed some new things. According to some of the more recent books, High Reaches Weyr was named after the seven spindles; so High Reaches Weyr was established before High Reaches Hold.

In addition to this, Dragon's Fire describes "straight, smooth corridors" and large individual Weyrs, which makes this another retcon - Fort and Benden were supposed to be the only two Weyrs built with stonecutters. This is both a good thing and a bad thing; for one, it suggests that High Reaches Weyr was founded before Telgar or Ista Weyr - the problem of Weyr foundation orders raised by "The Second Weyr - but it also creates issues with Moreta (or at least the Atlas); which states that High Reaches Weyr's rock was too thick to dig through, and so a lot of important rooms were built in the bowl, until some time when the caves were properly expanded.

I suppose we could speculate that the diggers were very briefly used at High Reaches Weyr; but later recalled to conserve their energy or some other reason - after all, some still existed to create the rooms in Dragonsblood - resulting in a few rooms with fancy corridors, but not enough to give it a similar look to that of Fort or Benden Weyr? Another thing mentioned is how several caverns have been destroyed due to firestone explosion...perhaps this gradually led to some of the caves being expanded - but not so much that they had to abandon the buildings in the bowl?