A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Aug 16 2010, 02:02 PM   #1
LadyDeerskin
Inactive

Fan of: Pern,Talents,Shellpeople
Now Reading: All The Weyrs of Pern, The Skies of Pern
Question Looking for Mercedes Lackey forum

there are AMC forums (YAY!), forums for many other famous authors, but i have never been able to find one for the author Mercedes Lackey, who started the "Valdarmar/Velgarth" series with "Arrows of the Queen", back in 1986. i've been snapping up all her books on these stories, and even roleplay a couple on the "Perfect World" MMORPG. (i would roleplay a dragonrider there, but the only two dragons available on the server i play on has a small, ugly, two headed dragon to fly on, and an absolutely GIANT one that is a battle pet, that has so big a 'footprint' you cant click on the mob you want to fight!).

i have searched for years for a ML forum, but the *only* one i have ever seen is buried deep in a hardcore roleplaying group called "Queen's Own". i say hardcore, because the only way you can be part of the group is to be a fanfic writer of a particular caliber, *and* to be physically active in activities your persona would be. for instance, one character in her books is a nomad from a horse-centric culture, who is a oathbound protector of her clan. so to have a persona like that, i would actually take riding classes, take part in whats called "long rides" of 50-100 miles, be expert in martial arts, etc, etc... its crazy! neat, if you are young enough, and financially able to afford these things.

.....all i want to do is what we do here: talk about the books! :-(

has *anyone* seen discussion groups about her books? i would really appreciate the info SO much!
LadyDeerskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta
Default Re: Looking for Mercedes Lackey forum

Looks like Queen's Own has cornered the fannish market. Still, aside from a persona write-up of probably 2000 words, if you can draw a map, sing a song, write a letter to a newspaper and write an essay on Obama holidaying in Florida you've done twice as much as you need to do to get at least the first basic persona qualified.

If all you want to do is discuss the books rather than write stories, does it matter if the persona you use to represent yourself isn't one you might prefer?

Livejournal has at least one Misty group, but there's not been much action there. Still, if you start a discussion there, who knows how many people might come out of the woodwork?

You could also try the FF.net Lackey discussion area here. Sure, the site's devoted to fan fiction, but no-one likes discussion of book canon as much as us writers!

Good luck... and if those won't do, try the 'other authors' forum, both here and over at AMCF.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I'm a Lackey fan and have (virtually) all her books. You're welcome to start discussing here, in the other authors forum, like Kath said

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2010, 03:49 PM   #4
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Just bumped the main thread...

other ones here, here and here

One of the AMCF threads is here - searching for the others is left as an exercise to the reader...
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2010, 06:21 PM   #5
Lily

I'm sure I've seen a web site for Lackey
Because, it starts off with: :If you're looking for information about that fine motor car, Mercedes, you should look here ............. If however, it's the author Mercedes Lackey, look no further ....................."
Obvously a reciprocal arrangement

Perhaps you should be looking on the car site, Lady Deerskin??
Old Aug 16 2010, 07:44 PM   #6
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

That's her website, but it doesn't include a forum.
Old Aug 16 2010, 09:54 PM   #7
LadyDeerskin
Inactive

Fan of: Pern,Talents,Shellpeople
Now Reading: All The Weyrs of Pern, The Skies of Pern

the "Queen's Own" has been on and off, and with their stringent requirements, im not surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevia View Post
That's her website, but it doesn't include a forum.
LadyDeerskin is offline   Reply With Quote