A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jul 29 2008, 04:33 PM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Christmas in July

And I swear that the mailmen said it when my son opened the door and the mailman stood there with this big mailbag When I made the joke my son said that was exactly what the mailman said!

Anyway, upon coming home I first took care of dinner (WOW, how disciplined I am). One (in numbers; 1) book had arrived for my wife and a bag full of them for me and even though I assured both her and my son that this was half a years harvest (I refrained to add: not sent directly to me but to Cheryl in the US) I got many a remark that this was altogether unfair.

THE BAG

Ah well, after some stuff was on the stove heating up I opened the mailbag and took out the two smaller boxes:

Those were OK but when I reached in the bag to pull out the third box I cried in horror! The cardboard was all soggy and WET! Oh my beautiful books...

WET box

Besides wet it was torn and coming apart. OK, that was because it was wet Full of apprehension I carefully (don't now why I did that) folded back the wet cardboard...

... apprehensively felt the books which were completely dry! My friend Cheryl had used big bubbe wrap and obviously that had held the moisture from reaching the books but it must have been a very narrow escape!

When the books were gone, the soggy box sagged...

Unpacked the first jumble of books looked like this:

And before I carried them upstairs I had to make good stacks:

More on the books and why I bought some doubles (and triples) in later posts!

The most amazing thing I saved for last! This big Mbag with its three boxes was posted by Cheryl on... wait for it... July 24th in the USA and arrved today July 29th!!!!! It cost an arm and a leg but gee, they were unexpectedly FAST!
There's actually a much smaller box that has been mailed priority! that hasn't arried yet But I guess that has been "confiscated by customs" or is on some US army base in Germany (like my last small package) to be checked for terrorist content

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.

Last edited by Hans; Jul 29 2008 at 04:49 PM.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29 2008, 04:47 PM   #2
~(_'>

Default Re: Christmas in July

Well. Bioenginered dragons could cause a lot of problems you know.

Nice haul. Pretty speedy. I bet it did cost an arm and a leg to mail. I got one package that was wet like that. Now, I put everything into plastic bags, and then into the box. Then I put clear packing tape over every surface of the box. I don't know if any of it helps. But I guess not doing anything doesn't help either. So there you go. *shrug*
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29 2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I am sooooooooooooo glad that the books didn't get wet. for the post office letting it get wet somehow, that's quite careless! Now I know to wrap books in plastic wrap in the future.

And I'm so amazed at how fast it got there, that's well ahead of the expected delivery time!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29 2008, 09:51 PM   #4
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I usually bubblewrap and then place said parcel into another bubblewrap parcel - some of our satchels are bubble wrapped. Also I found that sometimes overseas mail gets to me a lot faster then local mail so I'm impressed. Nice haul of books there! I counted at least 8 books in that stash, that I have in paperback or hardback. However I reckon that you've got a lot more then me on said score

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30 2008, 12:10 AM   #5
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Hans, nice stack of book. I am glad they made it safe to you. Somewhat like my post thread of X-Mas in July I did. Keep us posted.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30 2008, 01:42 AM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Congrats, Hans! Whew, glad the soggy box was the only part that was truly soggy! I guess that Cheryl's trip to the post office was well timed, they must have had a shipment full so it didn't sit somewhere waiting for a 'full load' to go overseas.
You've some very very nice books in Santa's bag!
Old Jul 30 2008, 02:50 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

A bit of news. Chery and I established that the bag has been opened (maybe twice) as Cheryl said it was closed with black velcro that comes with the bag, which it was. But it also had two tie wraps, a thick orange one and a regular white thin one which Cheryl says were not used at the post office. Maybe that's why moisture got a chance, I forgot to examine the bag more closely.

When there is the slightest risk r depending on what kind of packaging I use I wrap books I sent in clear thin kitchen film, the kind you use to put over food and which is sticky to itself but not to anything else. With this chaep stuff you can pack books air and water tight!
Because of earlier troubles Cheryl and I both know it is extremely important to not only address the box(es) but to also put a paper with the address inside the box. In case the address on the box is illegible for any reason the mail people will go and search inside the box.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jul 30 2008, 10:58 AM   #8
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Good advice Hans. But I sure hate working with that plastic wrap! Trying to tear it off the roll is torture sometimes!
Old Jul 30 2008, 11:00 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

True Becky

The thing to do is pull it out of the special box over a flat surface twice the size of the book to wrap. Cut it (on the edge of the box of with scissors). Place book in the middle. Then fold left and right flaps over book.

Old Jul 31 2008, 11:30 AM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

OH LORD...opening up that bag must have been heart stopping for a minute or two before finding out that the books were all right. Glad to hear that all of them were fine. Now on to the *DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL* part...LORD Hans...what a fantastic stack of books. TWOOOOOOOOOOOOO Atlas's of Pern ...and another *People of Pern*. Congratulations on getting it so quickly...

P.S. Now you need to take Marjon and Neils book shopping too...they need a little...very little I will admit, of your bookshelf space ........

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote