A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Mar 3 2021, 05:31 PM   #5721
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series
Default Re: What is happening

Well doesn't that sound happier?

YouTube Link (0:17)

YouTube Link (0:27)

I'd known something was way off with the carb setup from square one given that the idle speed was very high and I could tell with my nose from fifty feet away that she was running stinking rich. I decided to actually investigate that this afternoon and it didn't take long to work it out. The idle mixture screw was wound all the way in and firmly seated...So the carb idle circuit was doing precisely nothing. The only reason the car was idling at all was because the idle speed screw had been wound so far open that the throttle was held about 10% open and she was actually running from the main jet rather than the idle system.

Winding that open a couple of turns and backing off the idle speed adjustment (as that immediately shot up to about 3500rpm once I started to open the idle circuit up) soon got things much closer to where they're meant to be. I'll hook the CO meter to get it vaguely close to the book value when the rain stops. Now she's not running horrendously rich I'm glad to report that the intermittent but frequent miss at idle has vanished as well. Not expecting to get it absolutely perfect as I've no idea how stale a lot of the fuel in the tank is, but I don't reckon things are a million miles off now.

The even bigger positive of this than a smooth idle though is that apparently backing that adjustment screw out has resolved the issue I had with the accelerator pump being blocked off - that's now working properly it looks like.

Just wish the rain had held off for another hour or two.

Particularly annoying as the oil filter I'd been waiting for arrived this morning, so I really wanted to get the oil and filter changed today. Guess that's a job for later in the week now.

Nevertheless, it did give me an opportunity to get some gratuitous water beading photos on the freshly waxed paintwork...Imagine it's been a few years since this happened!

Feels like having the carb largely co-operating is quite a big step towards the car being actually drivable now. Rear spheres will be the next big step.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM   #5722
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Meanwhile we haven't had the last three lots of rain that we were promised. My garden is fried.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM   #5723
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Package arrived this morning for TPA.

Installation was pretty straightforward...Though I still had to fabricate a cable end. I think I just need to go to Speedy Cables or similar and just order a proper cable. The issue seems to be that (unsurprisingly) the cable has a standard motorcycle type barrel connector at the handlebar end...but finding off the shelf motorbike throttle cables more than a couple of metres long is tricky - and this needs to be a touch over five metres long because of the routing. As it is having trimmed away the frayed bit of cable I'm now down to literally millimetres to spare, and it's a bit frilly at the handlebar end so will likely fail again in the not too distant future.

Nevertheless, it does mean that I've now got matching grips on the handlebars which looks SO much better.

The throttle action is also way better...It always felt very much as though it wasn't attached to anything before, so you were never quite sure how much throttle you were applying - and I'm not 100% certain that I was ever actually getting full throttle as the old twist grip was distorted and binding up at several points in its travel. New one is all metal so should hopefully fare better.

New grips are a good deal chunkier than the old ones which I think will be a good thing.

Will have to wait for a test drive to be certain, but just sitting in the garage the bars felt a lot more comfortable to hold.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote