A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jun 1 2007, 12:42 AM   #1
Deanne
Eskay

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Stranger in a Strange Land
Default Dolphins Bell...limited, Signed Edition

Hello all! I hae a bit of a question...I recently bought on auction one of the limited edition, signed copys of The Dophins' Bell......advertised as a leather bound book and it does appear to be leather (or at least a good imitation leather)....it is the green edition with silver lettering I saw someone had pictured on here not long ago........what bothers me though is that on the statement of limitation page it says: "this book has been published in a special signed first edition of 400 clothbound and 50 leatherbound copies. This is copy 361. (the # is handwritten in)......so, if I have # 361 then it would have to be a clothbound copy would it not? Even though it looks more like leather than cloth and was advertised as leather........it is in wonderful condition and I love it but am a bit peeved over the "leather or not?" issue.

Also, I recenty got a copy of Dragonflight #1 of the Eclipse graphic versions that is signed by Anne (looks like a true signature!) and states Orlando 12/10/02....anyone know if Anne was is Florida at that time? This copy has been well kept and still looks like new so someone has treasured it!

I also sent an invitation to the bosco....something or other ebay buyer to come visit the forum and she sent a reply today stating she would......so perhaps a new collector will join the ranks..
Deanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2007, 01:48 AM   #2
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: Dolphins Bell...limited, Signed Edition

Deanne - I too have that same edition and have wondered the same thing. I figure that the binding looks like leather but is actually cloth. But since you're curious too I figure that asking the source would be a good idea, so I've just emailed Wildside Press. I do hope that Mr Betancourt will be able to enlighten us. I'll let you know what I hear.
Old Jun 1 2007, 03:27 AM   #3
Deanne
Eskay

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Stranger in a Strange Land

Thank you Becky......as my mind is working on "very slow mode" at this time I didn't think to do that myself........will be nice to know though I suspect it must be an imitation leather cover....I will forgive the seller for advertising it as leather as I do really like it and it is in great shape! I suppose it is still worth the money I paid for it........even if the Brandywyne signed Moreta edition cost quite a bit less than I paid for this book! I can't often splurge on the more expensive books even though I would like to! (The bill collectors don't take kindly to "I'm sorry, I spent all my money on books this week"). LOL........

By the way, does anyone know where I could possibly get a dust jacket for a Ballentine first edition of Dragonflight? There is one I would like to buy but it does not have a dustjacket! I would love to have it but I know without the DJ it just doesn't seem the same............
Deanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2007, 04:24 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

If 12 oktober 2002 is meant with the date... Anne did booksigning at Leftover Books (in Longwood) and had a Florida Gather with friends and staff member of the erstwhile Kitchen Table bulletin board in October 2002.
That was the reason for a kind of row at the board between two groups of members because Anne might have gone to the first UK gather had she not been in Florida... I remember it well
August of that year she attended a con in Italy. If December is meant I'm not sure.

I saw the Dragonflight Del Rey HC too but I must admit, I never have seen a dustjacket offered for sale seperate from the book. I decided not to buy the book and since it is aready on it's third (or fourth) "round" I'm obviously not the only one (you did see it's ex-library, right?). For half the price I would have bought it.

I don't know the right of the Dolphin's Bell edition either. I always assumed the green and silver ones were leatherbounds ones as the same material is used as on the black/silver "leatherbound" Rescue Run. If yes it seems imtation leather to me. I have seen and handled a PC copy of the green Dolphin's Bell in Anne's private library (so at least one more exists than stated ) It has a dedication but apparently was never given to the designated owner.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2007, 08:22 AM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I'd agree that it must be imitation leather. The Hargreaves pamphlet describes it as plastic-coated cloth. Is it similar to the covering the ltd edtion No One Noticed the Cat that Wildside put out? I think I bought that from you Deanne, and it is definitely not real leather.

Hans, I'm sure the date meant was October when she was in Florida -- Anne's still American enough to write signatures that way, especially if signing in America I'd think.

I have once or twice seen a dust jacket for sale by itself through bookfinder.com -- I'd do a search on the title with dust jacket as a keyword and see what you can turn up. Never know when you'll get lucky!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2007, 10:05 AM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

On these Dolphins' Bell bindings they've 'padded' the binding material. It's not just stuck to the boards and stiff, it's cushy, or so it seems to me anyway. I had thought that they might have treated the cloth in some way too so talked myself out of contacting Wildside Press originally, but then with Deanne's post I figured I might as well find out for sure. That text on the signed page is kind of misleading with the way they bound the book.
Old Jun 1 2007, 12:23 PM   #7
Sandi

I remember when Anne was in Florida because I was planning to attend but had to give it up at the last minute. One of the "regrets" I think about from time to time. From the photos that were later posted I think everyone had a great time!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2007, 03:41 PM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

I still have all those pictures that were once to be seen on Anne's site

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2007, 05:56 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

That's odd...when I opened my PC copy ...it says that it's leather bound too. Although I know that it isn't... no leather smell at all. Its the same green treated cloth that gives the appearence of leather as the rest of all of yours...so there doesn't seem to be any difference in them.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2007, 05:57 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

@Hans, the keeper of the Photo, as well as the flame...aye!!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote