A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Library Foyer > Events Board
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Events Board Information on site-sponsored and member-sponsored events: trivia contests, gathers, etc.

Old May 15 2007, 09:54 AM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Smile Eurocon 2007 - T-shirts!

Maelin has offered up her newest portrait of Anne to be used on a tshirt available to all MoM EuroCon attendees.

Here is a sample of the graphics for the front and back of the shirt:

front

back

On the back, we're thinking of listing the names of the attendees, and at the con we could all sign each others shirts by our names, creating our very own collectible!

Details: The shirts will be ordered through CafePress online, with their "heat transfer" method which produces beautifully sharp images (as opposed to their direct printing method which looks very fuzzy). You'll have a choice of a standard T or women's cut, sizes S to 2X at least (if a different size is needed, PM or post below).

Questions for those going:

1. Will you want to buy a shirt for yourself? (Cost included in next question)

2. Would you prefer a white tshirt ($14) or light blue ($15)? If you have a strong preference please state it, else say that either is fine -- we'll go with just one color, depending on what the majority preference is.

3. Do you have better text to suggest besides "MoM goes to EuroCon"? Put your thinking caps on and come up with something clever!

And a final note -- we realize that those not going to EuroCon may be interested in having such a shirt as well, and will at some point offer for sale a slightly modified version (the back text will not refer to EuroCon) to all MoM members.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2007, 10:11 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Default Re: Eurocon 2007 - T-shirts!

Is the black border/background for the potrait really ncecessary? I strongly dislike it unless printed on a black tshirt. I also dislike the standing text (would prefer that above the portrait with copyright message below it). The flower ornaments in the border could be preserved even without the black border.

If there is only choice between white and blue I would prefer a white shirt with the provisions above.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2007, 11:41 AM   #3
sjslack
Inactive

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

I agree with Hans regarding the text at the side of the picture, as well as the black border...but I'd certainly buy a blue one if at all possible...^^;
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2007, 12:02 PM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I will defer to Maelin about change decisions for the design. She did the black border on the original portrait, and I thought white text on black complemented that nicely. Black shirts are a possibility thru CafePress, but they cost notably more ($6 more than white) and I don't think Maelin liked that option. She doesn't like the blue for that matter, but was willing to put it forth as an option.

I did the vertical text as that allows for a larger version of the portrait to be printed, as it is taller than it is wide. We did some shirts for WorldCon last year with the same style text up the side; I'd like this to be in a matching style, but it doesn't have to be -- and again I defer to Maelin on the decisions.
Old May 15 2007, 12:20 PM   #5
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Fan of: The Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: anything on my eReader

I would buy one no matter how the finished t-shirt looks.

I'm thinking that the copyright text should be black text on white. My first thought was that the copyright text needed to be put underneath the picture, but I think it will work on the side too if the text is black and maybe a bit smaller.

I wouldn't mind a blue shirt, but I think the picture will look better on a white shirt.
Nefermiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2007, 01:54 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I do like the White shirts the best...like I told Cheryl, but I will go along with the majority members choice in color or design.

I think the drawing will look alright on blue, there is blue in it after all... I just think it looks better on the white....but that is just my personal opinion

Black shirts would look great too, but again like Cheryl said they will cost extra, and the signatures won't show up on the back!!!

I don't have a problem with having the information on the side...Cheryl did it that way last year and everyone thought it looked great...although that is a lot of black on the side when you use the white lettering. Also I'm not sure that the white lettering is going to look as good if we choose blue shirts.

@ Hans, Is there some way that you could remove the black flowered border with out loosing any of the rest of the portriat???...You know the way you did in the Exibition Hall...with your photo workshop program and your great surgical skills OUCH... If you could do it...that would be just fine with me??? Then the background would blend in with the shirts better... more like the first portrait did...hopefully.

I love the whole idea of all the names on the back...maybe we could add Anne's name on the list too...just in case she wants to sign a few of the shirts for us.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2007, 02:02 PM   #7
Cheryl
Master Archivist

It's easy enough to trim the black flower border off completely.

Maelin - Anne should sign the front, not the back!
Old May 15 2007, 02:22 PM   #8
sjslack
Inactive

I only chose blue because I like that colour best...but re-thinking it and looking at the design again, it's true it'd actually look better on white...^^;
Old May 15 2007, 02:49 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

@Cheryl, Yes but if she signed with the rest of the signatureees on the back then we would be able to frame the shirts and see them all at once. She would naturally be the first name...and much bigger than our names!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old May 15 2007, 03:47 PM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

Cheryl, we shouldn't trim the border away, just remove the black; I like the ornaments, just not the heavy black border... at least, not on a white tshirt. It's simply too heavy.

I'll try my hand at it and send Maelin a concept.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old May 15 2007, 03:48 PM   #11
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Okay, border removed.

text on side vs. text below
Old May 15 2007, 03:50 PM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

Much, much better. But as I said, we should retain the ornaments

I like the lower one best as the accompanying text is more in proportion to the picture and readable without having to move your head

One remark, Cheryl: it might be even better if the white background were transparant instead of white so that the line is totally free of the picture. But maybe you already did that - jpg's are not able to handle transparency.

By the way. I think that's Sarynth on Anne's right shoulder

Old May 15 2007, 03:52 PM   #13
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Agree on transparency, which I think CafePress will do as long as I do PNG format. I will have to reread through their documentation on that.
Old May 15 2007, 04:03 PM   #14
sjslack
Inactive

I agree with hands regarding the text. -Noddeth-
Old May 15 2007, 07:06 PM   #15
kc

Now Reading: Various

I will have one whatever the decision on design etc - in fact I might get two . Well done Maelin.
kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2007, 12:09 AM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I LOVE IT....The shirt design is looking great...but I agree with Hans, it would be lovely to include the ornament flowers.

P.S. Hans, well it's about time that somebody ask who the Firelizards belong to... !! I thought you all would have realized that the Green was your Sarynth, the Blue Cheryl's Zoey, the brown Anneli's Buster and the Gold naturally is my Nica. Especially after I did the Birthday Card...and who I put on that!!!

Old May 16 2007, 07:58 AM   #17
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Goodness! It hadn't even occurred to me to wonder! I'll have to speak to Zoey about hanging on to a book like that, he'll damage it! And what's he doing leaning around Anne to make eyes at Sarynth, how rude!
Old May 16 2007, 11:00 AM   #18
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

@Cheryl, Zoey and Sarynth's are probably just saying Hello... or chating about some juicy piece of Gosip...!!!

Old May 16 2007, 01:43 PM   #19
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
And what's he doing leaning around Anne to make eyes at Sarynth, how rude!
Like you don't know what a flirt he is

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2007, 05:13 PM   #20
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Please put my name down for a size XL T-shirt. I'd prefer the white background and the horizonal text if there's a choice, but I'm not fussy.

Can I make a suggestion: How about making an extra T-shirt for Anne and giving it to her at the con? We could sign all the T-shirts (including Anne's) at the hotel the first evening. I think we should present Anne with something if we're asking her to sign them all.

Last edited by StevenB; May 16 2007 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Ridiculously - pedantic, about punctuation. :)
StevenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2007, 06:13 PM   #21
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Already planned an extra shirt for Anne, she was delighted the two Maelin gave her at WorldCon! But it hadn't occurred to me yet that we should all sign the shirt for her, so thanks for the suggestion!
Old May 20 2007, 04:56 PM   #22
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

So that's why the little devil has been so full of himself lately I knew there must be a reason for his frequent absences and self-satisfied preening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
I thought you all would have realized that the Green was your Sarynth, the Blue Cheryl's Zoey, the brown Anneli's Buster and the Gold naturally is my Nica.
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2007, 05:56 PM   #23
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

Howdy all! That t-shirt design is a stunner, Lady M, wow!! I so admire those who can draw/paint/create visual art. Rather like a snake enjoying the London Marathon, really... but I do genuinely admire the ability.

Yes please, could I have a t-shirt, size 2XL? And when do we send you the dough, and do you want dollars or pounds sterling or krona or pflosters or what?!

Can't wait to meet you all, and how lovely to see you again kc!

Lanen
Old May 21 2007, 06:25 PM   #24
Cheryl
Master Archivist

We'll take the orders and handle the money a bit closer to the con date. When the time comes, PayPal will probably be the easiest way to exchange money.
Old May 21 2007, 11:25 PM   #25
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

@ Hello Elizabeth, thank you so much for you lovely compliments ... but like you I am also in awe, but of anyone that can tell a tale like you and Anne can . To allow others to travel in the worlds of your mind, and to have them love the journey...now that is an amazing feat!!!
I am presently on my way to the Dragon Isle..for the very first time...thanks to our dear friend Hans. I have never read fantasy before this, but I am well and properly hooked. Well at least in your world...and what a world it is, the sights and sounds are wonderful, adventurous and frieghtening....thank you so much for the journey!!!

Old May 22 2007, 02:54 PM   #26
kc

Now Reading: Various

Lanen

I could almost have met you today - I had to go to Edinburgh for a business meeting. 6 hours travelling for a 2 hour meeting, just got home Glad that doesn't happen too often!

Kath
kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2007, 04:20 PM   #27
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

I prefer the design with the writing underneath... I can hardly wait to add this one to my growing collection of special Pern-related t-shirts
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2007, 01:03 PM   #28
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc View Post
Lanen
I could almost have met you today - I had to go to Edinburgh for a business meeting. 6 hours travelling for a 2 hour meeting, just got home Glad that doesn't happen too often!
Kath
kc, You would have missed us - we were on holiday last week.

Sorry you had to travel so far for so little. I hope your 2 hour meeting was at least a success.
Old May 29 2007, 05:12 PM   #29
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Dear Lady Maelin,

I am so pleased that you're enjoying Kolmar! I hope Lanen and co. make you feel welcome. I am honoured to know that you are enjoying your wander there.

Just wish I could work in the smells of Kolmar - lansip smells amazing!

Er - as for your not reading fantasy - you ARE a Pern fan, yes?

We are both very much looking forward to meeting you in Denmark!
Old May 29 2007, 10:10 PM   #30
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Ahhh yes Dear Lady of the Dragon Isle...but Anne's Dragons aren't fantasy in my opinion!!! Anne herself, has stated several times that her dragons are pure Science Fiction.

Your incredible Dragons, might be fantasy that is true...but they are also magnificently beautiful inside as well as out...and I am well and truly in love.

I have not been so swept off my feet since my first reading of Dragonflight...some thrity odd years ago.
You have me on the edge of my mental seat...with each and every page, wondering what is going to happen next. I already can't wait to read this book again...and again..and to also get on to the next story, to find out what you have in store for my newly found friends. I find myself reading this in the most unlikely places .just to get in a few extra pages a day. Since I don't have the option of just sitting down to read it straight through, I have been savoring it...replaying it in my mind while I work....what a movie this would make

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS EXTREMELY BEAUTIFUL STORY I can't wait to pass this on and on again to all friends

P.S. I can hardly wait to meet you and Steven in person when we all meet up in Copenhagen.

Last edited by Lady Maelin; Jun 2 2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old May 30 2007, 03:30 AM   #31
Hans
Master Archivist

*strikes Lady Maelin from his list of converts and looks around for a new "victim"*

Old May 30 2007, 09:28 AM   #32
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thank you Master Elrhan, for showing me the way to the Dragon Isle.

Old Jun 2 2007, 01:40 PM   #33
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Lady M -

Old Jun 2 2007, 02:12 PM   #34
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanen View Post
Lady M -

Lanen, not to boast but Pam and I were never kidding when we said years ago we would not stop at anything to get you extra readers

Looking among my friends and acquiantances I observed the force is with me