A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Jan 27 2005, 12:34 AM   #1
bats

Default If you love Cats,don't read

In Aussie there has been 3very sad cases concering Kittens
One three THINGS threw rocks,road their bikes over the Kitten,kick it,and'when it tried to get away they threwit on the Railway track
Three have been charged
2nd case a Kitten was set alight,,,might live,,looks like it was in a lot of pain
two were charged
3rd case two Kittens were found bound to a fence and had been beatened
to death,no one found yet
What worries me what were these Kids doing roaming the Streets at 3 in the
morning,,have heard one excuse ''They were bored""
I would love to give them the same treatment they gave those Kittens
Bats
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2005, 01:18 AM   #2
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks
Default Re: If you love Cats,don't read

I feel that there should be harsher penalties to this sort of treatment of animals, no matter what. Those who see this as an excuse, or try to justify such cruelty upon the grounds of the destructive capabilities of feral cats are just avoiding the issue: it's cruelty of the highest order, and, simply, evil. Making excuses won't help if, like many, this sort of cruelty is translated towards people; look at the careers of many serial killers and see where it led from -- animals.
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2005, 12:51 PM   #3
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

It is sad also that people in athority and the parents accept the statement of "We were bored so we thought we'd beat up on some animals" as a defense. Hopefully these people will be delt with in a way that teaches them a life lesson as well as punishing them for their crime.

<--- Going home tonight and giving extra love to my kitties and doggies!!

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2005, 01:36 PM   #4
sassie
Inactive

Location: Bristol U.K. but normally in which book i'm reading at the time
Angry Re: If you love Cats,don't read

If you research any of the sadistic serial killers (Jeffrey Damer et al) you will find that animal mutilation is a defining moment in the patterns of their behavior. This backs up my contention that anyone who can hurt animals is capable of hurting people, they have no respect for life and this can and does become de-sensitising. It's the old thing of 'nasty little boys pulling the wings off flys' How many times have you seen this in a book to tell you of how to discribe a nasty character? It's not that far from fly's to cats to people.
I think that cruelty to animals should highlight a persons 'aberrant' mental state and should be followed up as part of any sentence (community service) or (in a case of bad treatment) a ban on keeping animals. This just is'nt enough to change or break the pattern of behavior.
I have know of a 'boy' who was well known to the local police for his ill treatment of animals, who later went on to attack another (younger) child! Surely it should be recognised that if there is the capacity to hurt animals then that capacity could grow to hurt humans, usually younger and more vulnerable and then as, the sense of power or pleasure is not punished strongly enough, can then to move on to adults. If only the authorities would recognise the pattern and move to act sooner these people might be stopped sooner.
No respect for life is no respect for life of any type.
Right I'll get off the soap box now, There may be people who disagrees with this....please feel free to discuss!
Sassie
sassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2005, 03:36 PM   #5
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

Sassie I think you have a very valid point and I agree with you 100%. Unfortunatly as is repeated through history people who show that abhorrent behavior as a youngster isn't given the proper caring (from parents, teachers, or other people in athority). By caring I mean the proper support that would lead to a change of their ways. Too often I think people say it isn't their problem and why should they care. The parents sometimes are "too busy" to be thereas much as they should be for their kids and they want the teachers and school officials to take care of things. Unfortunatly there aren't enough of those kinds of people to take care of the problems either. Parents (and that is a generalization I know that not all parents are like this and there are many good caring parents!) need to be more willing to be involved in their kids lives and not blame everything on the school systems or the after school problems or even the neighborhood they live in. Many good kids and adults come from very bad neighboorhoods.

Getting off my now and heading to the corner.

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2005, 05:35 PM   #6
bats

How true!!!!,it does have a patten,I hope the NewsMedia will keep up the
news,people are up in arms about it.
My Dad had two laws, ''Never hit a Woman or a Cat'',he said all though
ages,People have a thing about cats,men are sissy to love a cat,but if a cat
loves you that is something,,,,and I did give my two extra hugs even my
Chihuahua who can be a horror at times so strong willed.
Bats
Old Jan 27 2005, 06:43 PM   #7
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

how anyone can do that, i have no idea. Those sort of people need help.

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2005, 07:22 PM   #8
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

NO animal deserves to be totured like that. I wish to see the local feral cats destroted, yes...but HUMANELY. Even a bullet in the brain is faster than burning a living creature. THAT is just sick. And apparently, they aren't going to get anything but a slap on the wrist?

Glad NY is getting tougher with it's Animal Cruelty laws. Those so=called bored teens would not have time to be bored between weekends in jail, weekdays in class, and most other free time spent in community service!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28 2005, 05:16 AM   #9
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

not sure i agree with the comment on feral cats but i see where you come from and agree shooting is better than that!
hate it when so called human beings do that!
my gran adopted a vast quantity of feral cats years bac now. people dumped them in the woods near her house and she cared for them and the cats protection league rehomed most of the cittens. though she has one thats almost a house cat-Patch the ancient jac russell wont let him in most of the time!
all three bedlingtons have been rescues at one time or the other. Even the prese3nt one (dreaming on the sofa at the mo) who was a rescue dog before her previous owner adopted her!
the idiots that hurt those cats are awful.
though sos the person who broe into a local anmal charity and stole several days taings.
for those that say serial illers start on animals-the Nazis didnt and whatever your politics-THEY were mass murderers-though AH was a great animal lover.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28 2005, 05:02 PM   #10
sassie
Inactive

I'm really pleased that others agree with me as after I'd replied ....I thought I might have sounded off alittle too strongly! Part of the reason for my stong feeling are as follows:
My last neighbour was a horrible man who let the local prostitutes use his flat and of course the druggies followed along with the dealers.
My flat is in a block of six with two young families, two old ladies and me and is in a quiet little cul-de -sac, the bloke had a cat who'd had kittens a couple of weeks before my cat. One day I noticed that there was something wrong with my little tom kitten and knew straight away that he'd broken his tail.....a rush to the vets who said, after viewing the x-ray, that he'd not broken it but that it was dislocated high in his pelvis, this could'nt have happened in any way except by being swung aroung by his tail! The Vet had to amputate as high up as he could but said there was no guarantee that he would live as damage might have been caused to the nerves relating to his bowel and bladder, if this was the case all that could be done was to put him to sleep...I was in pieces, and a few days later heard that this piece of scum was boasting in the local pub that my kitten had followed one of his into his flat and that he'd caught him,swung him round a couple of times then launched him out the window! I could'nt do anything as the RSPCA said I would have to have heard it from him!
We finally managed to get this man evicted and shortly after this I had two very well-built bloke's knock on my door asking where they could find him! You did'nt need to be a Genius to guess what their business was, the very expensive suits, the top of the range BMW and the amount of gold that they were wearing were very good clues, I had the grearest pleasure in telling them where they could find him and told them about my little cat, they assured me that my kitten would be avenged!
I have never wish harm to any person and still don't but they do say that 'revenge is a dish best eaten cold' and when I heard later that he had been injured in a fight that the police said was drugs related! I could'nt help but smile.
My kitten is now a beautiful cat with no tail...I called him 'Jax the abbrivated cat' he's ok but does show signs of pain when its cold and does'nt like being stroked on his hidequarters. I still don't regret for a minute my telling them where to find him..........I do hope that he feels pain when it gets cold!
I will try to keep from sounding off too much when on the boards!
I will remain all sweetness and light...just watch out for the sense of humour!!
Sassie
Old Jan 28 2005, 05:18 PM   #11
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith
not sure i agree with the comment on feral cats but i see where you come from and agree shooting is better than that!
hate it when so called human beings do that!
my gran adopted a vast quantity of feral cats years bac now. people dumped them in the woods near her house and she cared for them and the cats protection league rehomed most of the cittens. though she has one thats almost a house cat-Patch the ancient jac russell wont let him in most of the time!
all three bedlingtons have been rescues at one time or the other. Even the prese3nt one (dreaming on the sofa at the mo) who was a rescue dog before her previous owner adopted her!
the idiots that hurt those cats are awful.
though sos the person who broe into a local anmal charity and stole several days taings.
for those that say serial illers start on animals-the Nazis didnt and whatever your politics-THEY were mass murderers-though AH was a great animal lover.
Edith, you are describing stray cats, not ferals. The main difference is that strays can be adopted. They can be reclaimed from the wilf. Ferals ARE wild, and have a habit of preying on domestic pets smaller than they are (and sometimes larger than they are)
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29 2005, 12:27 AM   #12
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Sassie, if Jax likes catnip, please give him some for me.

I don't like to see any animal mistreated (and that includes humans).

In my previous place, one of the neighbours had a cat that was very shy. Turns out it had been attacked by a dog, and now runs from any dogs he sees, as well as most people. Well, happily, he befriended me, and I spent a nice year petting him and giving him catnip when I could. I even gave him cat treats when I had the money. The neighbours knew, and were surprised that the cat and I were friends; but they had to move one day, and that was the last I saw of him.
Old Jan 29 2005, 05:02 AM   #13
sassie
Inactive

Big Grin Re: If you love Cats,don't read

Although Jax is mad enough, he does love cat nip, the other two do as well but give them too much and its all in wrestling time! They also seem to think that ankles are fair game when on cat nip and will stalk you around the room, It's like the scene from Jurassic park where the game hunter gets it!!!
I've found that they become so stupid that I make sure that they are confined to barracks until the effects have worn off. I would'nt trust their road sense while they're under the influence as it where!
They also love eating it but I've been told that it's quite good for them!
But I think that's just their excuse!
I thank the powers that be for my three....they are the only thing that keeps me going sometimes but once they've learnt how to open the tins themselves I will not be required,,,,That why I hid in the cupboard so they can't see how its done!
Jax can open the fridge scores so far are 1/2 dozen eggs, packet of ham,piece of cheese and cartoon of milk to Jax. .......Me a childlock on fridge, Ha Ha that stopped him although he cried foul!!!!
Loads of purrs from Jax, Farli and Lunzie and yes guess where they got their names from!
see you on boards
Old Jan 29 2005, 03:55 PM   #14
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

My sister had a cat that not only sucked the insides out of tomatoes, but would get into the cheese, eat the most expensive, and leave the cheapest. This was the same cat that would run around the middle of the walls.
Old Jan 29 2005, 06:19 PM   #15
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Ugh. Utterly inhumane and reprehensable. Too bad we can't do to the kids what they did to the kittens! Must have a screw loose in their brains or something.

Tresa

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30 2005, 04:34 PM   #16
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

poor Jax!
Give him a stroke from me!
My boyfriend's family's cat got runover I think-but that was a complete accident. hes a bit shy though-hes only got one eye.
Patch-my Gran's aincient Jack Russell was abused as a puppy he used to be very shy and aggressive especially with children.
hes 16 now and still going strong-except for his bladder. but it took him years to calm down. I saw him yesterday.
Old Feb 8 2005, 05:17 AM   #17
bats

Just a update to that kitten was burnt,Little William passed away last
night
a another Thing was given 6mths in Jail for killing a Kitten,because it wouldn't stop meowing,,I bet it was straving,couldn't look at the way he killed it'Back in History they killed cats for Witchcraft,,so no cats Rats breed and what
did the Human Race get,,,Black Plague.
bats
Old Feb 8 2005, 06:47 PM   #18
sassie
Inactive

Mother Nature has a way of handing out her own justice. But the law should be enabled do more to punish those who hurt and kill animals for the sick 'thrill' of it. What if next time it's a child? the poeple in the UK will remember the 'Jamie Bulger' case!
Put them in a postion of total helplessness and treaten them with the same treatment as they have meted out but that would upset the P.C. Brigrade. It's always the kids and animals who suffer then the sicko's get let off so lightly...what does that teach any one?
Old Feb 9 2005, 04:16 AM   #19
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats
Just a update to that kitten was burnt,Little William passed away last
night
a another Thing was given 6mths in Jail for killing a Kitten,because it wouldn't stop meowing,,I bet it was straving,couldn't look at the way he killed it'Back in History they killed cats for Witchcraft,,so no cats Rats breed and what
did the Human Race get,,,Black Plague.
bats
poor kitten!
with the plague though, it wasn't that cats were being killed cos of witchcraft, rather that people thought that cats and dogs were the vector, not rats and so to try and slow the plague they killed the cats and dogs...