A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Dec 9 2013, 03:52 PM   #1
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning
Default Janis Ian Auctions?

I didn't see them posted here but there were a couple amazing items up for charity auctions on ebay a few days back. I can't seem to find the listings now. They were:

1. Anne's letter opener. Which was really cool looking and I wanted really really really badly but last I saw the bid was about $700 for.

2. Freedom's Ransom galley, which was printed pages with actual notes by Anne. This was pretty cool too but I didn't bid on it because loose pages would die in my house with 2 little boys, no matter how well I tried to keep them.

Did anyone on here end up getting them? Post pictures when you get them. I'm jealous of you!
Old Dec 9 2013, 04:27 PM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: Janis Ian Auctions?

Was that the letter opener Sara Slack made for her in 2007?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9 2013, 07:14 PM   #3
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Was that the letter opener Sara Slack made for her in 2007?
It was beautiful, had some feathers looked like a katana or something like that? It was just too much money but I was sooooo close to just doing it.
Old Dec 10 2013, 02:37 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Gigi sent a mail round about the Pearl Foundation (named after Janis Ian's mother) and the auction.

Here's the text of that mail:

Quote:
Janis Ian and my mother met in the latter part of Mum’s life and they became very good friends. I won’t send you Janis’ missing attachment as the information contained within it can be found at the Pearl Foundation website http://stores.ebay.com/thepearlfoundation/ Please take a look and pass this along to as many people as possible so that we can help achieve a really good result for this year’s auction. And thank you!

xGigi

Sent: 18 November 2013 13:38
To: 'Janis Ian'
Subject: And now, the missing attachment...

There is a reason they call us chick singers... sorry to bother everyone twice, but I forgot to add the attachment!

Janis

Please forgive the mass email.

As many of you know, my mother Pearl battled multiple sclerosis for much of her life. Fulfilling a lifelong dream, she went to college in her late forties. It took her fourteen years to graduate, but graduate she did.

In 1998 Michael Camp and I held what appears to be the very first Internet auction, to raise funds for a scholarship in my mother's name. From that came the Pearl Foundation, an IRS approved charitable organization. We are the real thing - our annual overhead is less than 2% of our donations, and we give away almost everything we've raised at the end of each year. The money goes to scholarships for what are politely called "returning students."

George R. R. Martin (Game of Thrones) and his wife Parris McBride asked what they could do to help us, and suggested I hold a second Internet auction. So I opened a Pearl Foundation eBay store, enlisted my friend Amy Leslie to help, and asked my friends for help.

We begin going live November 21st, at 6.30 pm Central.

There's a pretty stunning list of items, leading off with an original pilot script from Game of Thrones, signed by all the Starks and George! A complete list is attached, along with my homemade press release. There are also links to the whole story in pictures, and announcements on my own site and my Facebook pages. (See attached.)

Anything you can do to help me pass this on will be much, much appreciated.

Thanks!

Janis ian

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote