A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Aug 4 2017, 05:53 PM   #1
CuriousFlit
Selkie

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Default Pern Boardgame - Differences in editions?

I just got the 1st edition of this game. I got the 2nd edition for mom awhile back, but we seem to have misplaced it. I wanted my own copy of 2nd edition, but got sent 1st by mistake. Still, I would rather not have to send mine back if it can be helped, since it's a complete game set.

The main reason I wanted 2nd edition was because I liked the board design better. But I can't remember what the differences are between the two versions, if any, besides the board design and tokens.

Does anybody know if there are actually any rule or card or token differences between the two?

If it turns out there aren't any differences, than I would be perfectly happy keeping this version and to just get a good photo of the 2nd board design to print out and stick over the board I have.
CuriousFlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6 2017, 07:31 AM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: Pern Boardgame - Differences in editions?

I have a 1983 version. I'm not sure whether it's 1st or subsequent edition, though the lack of printing history would imply 1st.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)

Last edited by P'ter; Aug 8 2017 at 11:36 AM.
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8 2017, 10:28 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I'd have to look (I have them both).

I do know that the design of the board (folded versus a big jig saw puzzle) was the main difference, and the box itself of course.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11 2017, 11:24 AM   #4
CuriousFlit
Selkie

Thanks, Hans, I appreciate it.
Old Aug 11 2017, 11:27 AM   #5
CuriousFlit
Selkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I have a 1983 version. I'm not sure whether it's 1st or subsequent edition, though the lack of printing history would imply 1st.
Yeah that is the 1st edition. I think the second is from 1989.
Old Aug 16 2017, 05:10 AM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

CuriousFlit

I compared them and the 2nd edition seems the sturdier and better version.

First edition:
Board in puzzle pieces
Quality of cards is less than 2nd ed. and not glossy; cards are joined though pre cut and you have to loose them yourself.
Markers are simple thin cardboard you have to take out yourself (mean edges will not be really smooth)
Rule book letter size and thin paper quality
Box is poor quality and will cave in when something heavy is placed on top. The artwork is Dragonquest (Whelan).

Second edition
Folder board, good quality
Markers are plastic chips on which you have to put tiny marker stickers yourself. This is nicer quality but might be a problem because both my editions are unused and the stickers are/were not placed on the markers yet and some of them have dried out and are no sticky anymore. Overall quality is better though.
Cards are glossy and of much better quality than 1st ed. The quality also makes the art better looking. They are laminated.
Two booklets, beginners and advanced are better quality, smaller and stapled.
The box is sturdier and the overall artwork on box and board is better IMHO than the first. This is Moreta artwork (Whelan) on the box.

I think to play the 2nd ed. will always be the better one. A collector needs them both

First edition:
IMG_3056 by Hans van der Boom, on Flickr

Second Edition
IMG_3055 by Hans van der Boom, on Flickr

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Aug 16 2017, 07:47 AM   #7
CuriousFlit
Selkie

Thank you, Hans! So there aren't any rule differences or different cards at all between the two editions?

I was introduced to this digital board game website called Tabletopia.com, and it allows you to recreate your own boardgames to share privately with others. Or if you own the rights to the game, or have permission from the owner, you can share it publicly with players all over the world. I'm trying to recreate the Dragonriders of Pern board game to introduce it to some other online friends, or I could even play it with you guys if you like once I get it set up.

But we still can't find mom's 2nd edition, and I can't find any good pictures of the board online. Also, I'm not very good at taking photos yet with my phone anyway when it comes to big stuff. Could I please have a close up photo or scan of the 2nd edition card backs and board from you, Hans? I can scan the rules from my book and get decent photos of the pieces and card fronts from my end, I think.
Old Aug 16 2017, 08:05 AM   #8
CuriousFlit
Selkie

Oops! Forgot to post the link so you guys could see the website. Its pretty cool!

https://tabletopia.com/
Old Aug 16 2017, 11:22 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousFlit View Post
Thank you, Hans! So there aren't any rule differences or different cards at all between the two editions?
No, no rule changes or differences in play. Just in material.

Will see what I can do for you digital wise later. I'll first check what I already have before making scans.

Old Aug 16 2017, 11:36 AM   #10
CuriousFlit
Selkie

Cool, thanks again.