A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jun 12 2017, 11:48 AM   #1
justbeingme
Darbul

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: The Masterharper of Pern
Default problems finding an affordable copy of Dragonquest

Hello all,

I've been looking for a hardcover edition of Dragonquest with Micheal Whelan cover art and the purple background, and I've been struggling. many advertisements on eBay use Whelan's cover art as a stock photo but then list their imprint as Perfection Learning, which i think has the white background with the bars on each side (which I always considered too stylised for Pern even though I liked the consistency). Does anyone know more on how to determine whether the stock photo of Whelan can lead to a book that actually uses that cover art?
justbeingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13 2017, 07:21 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: problems finding an affordable copy of Dragonquest

You're never really 100% sure if you don't ask the seller I suppose...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17 2017, 08:57 AM   #3
zozobraswife
Muskie

Fan of: Dragonflight

Patience. I stalked eBay for two or three years to find my copies of Dragonflight and Dragonquest with the Michael Whelan dust jackets. You'll want to make sure the book has an actual photo and ask a few questions.

As an alternative, you might contact a company like https://www.dustjackets.com/ and commission a reproduction dust jacket (clearly marked as a reproduction). I collect books but I'm not the type of collector who must have an original DJ every time.
zozobraswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18 2017, 08:50 PM   #4
Dragon Fan
Dylanist

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy
Now Reading: The Rift

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbeingme View Post
Hello all,

I've been looking for a hardcover edition of Dragonquest with Micheal Whelan cover art and the purple background, and I've been struggling. many advertisements on eBay use Whelan's cover art as a stock photo but then list their imprint as Perfection Learning, which i think has the white background with the bars on each side (which I always considered too stylised for Pern even though I liked the consistency). Does anyone know more on how to determine whether the stock photo of Whelan can lead to a book that actually uses that cover art?
Check out ABEBOOKS.COM, They have a few of the First Editions listed, one Signed copy.