A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Jun 22 2017, 07:31 PM   #1
Daccio
Crafter

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: The Two Georges
Default Except for two erupting volcanoes...

I have easy access to two audiobooks that I've been listening to a lot, Dragonsdawn and All the Weyrs of Pern. In All the Weyrs, it is often asked why the Colonists didn't use their technology to destroy thread on the Red Star. The excuse given is that the erupting volcanoes prevented them.

In Dragonsdawn this fact is pretty evident as well.

What I'd like to know is, what could the colonists really have done, presuming everything was the same, but without erupting volcanoes forcing everyone to move to the northern continent. Did the colonists have the resources to change the orbit of the rogue planet? I don't see it. Did they have the biological resources to wipe it out? They couldn't even retrieve an inert sample. So theoretically, what could the colonists have done even if they hadn't been forced north?
Daccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23 2017, 04:05 PM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Except for two erupting volcanoes...

I guess the reference means that their technology (labs, equipment, maybe even human reseources) was destroyed by the erupting volcanoes? And that made the community 'slide back' in time technology wise?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23 2017, 04:22 PM   #3
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: Except for two erupting volcanoes...

I certainly took it that way.

I suppose that, given their technology, they had the ability to genetically modify some thread and release it back on the Red Star to spread and mutate the rest.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colonists, pern, solution, volcanoes