A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Mar 20 2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Genghiscon
Muskie

Fan of: Pern (Dragonriders)
Now Reading: The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene
Default The White Dragon - An LP

I have a LP of Anne McCaffrey reading chapters 3-6 of The White Dragon. Has anyone ever heard of this creature before?

My guess is that it was a promotional item of some sort as it was produced (by Caedmon) the same year as the book was released. The cover art is same as the book (Michael Whelan's art). I've asked at a couple conventions over the years (I bought the LP second hand in 1988) and no one has ever heard of an LP. One fellow thought it was part of an early "audio book" but as there is no indication of it being part of a set, I don't think this is the case.

This has been the somewhat obscure jewel in my Pern collection since I fell in love with the series in junior high school. Anyone know anything about my little audio oddity?
Genghiscon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2011, 08:20 PM   #2
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Default Re: The White Dragon - An LP

I'm not too sure, but I know Anne did read some of here books. A SS over at the NKT http://www.annemccaffreyfans.org/forum/index.php send me an MP3 of her reading it. Along with a few other of her books.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2011, 11:29 PM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Yes Genghis, several of us here at MoM, have one of these wonderful albums...I recieved mine from a very dear friend, as a Christmas Gift a few years back...and still cherrish it, in my own collection.
Glad to hear that you also have one of these precious items...do you have a player as well? That's the one thing that's missing from mine...something to listen to it on...UGG!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23 2011, 03:50 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Lile Lady Maelin says, a known collectors item and a great one. I don't think it was a promotional item at least I never have heard that about it. Maybe they originally planned to bring out more although it doesn't have a volume number. But then, A Time When is also a part of the book that later became the white dragon (what do you like better: Gaxom or Jaxom )

If you don't already know you might be interested too in the other two recordings Anne did (available only on cassette): Nerilka's Story en - the most wonderful of all - All the Weyrs of Pern (do a search, I have posted an audio fragment on this forum of the part in which Anne tells of Robinton's death in which she nearly breaks out crying...).

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23 2011, 07:23 PM   #5
Genghiscon
Muskie

Fan of: Pern (Dragonriders)
Now Reading: The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene

Thanks for the information everyone!

Lady M: I don't have a player anymore but a friend of mine picked up the USB record player that allows you to convert vinyl audio into mp3s. I'm going to have to borrow it one day so I can move a copy to my iPad.

Hans: Thanks for the info on the audio items for Nerilka's story and All the Wyers of Pern. I'm going to have to keep an eye open for them so I can grow my collection a little.
Genghiscon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23 2011, 08:25 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

WOW...learn something new everyday...I'll have to have my more technical husband find out more about this USB player you mentioned...Thank You kindly for the information...just one of the many, many reasons I love MoM so much, with all that I have learned here, I have so much more of a wonderful collection than I ever even dreamed of having...and now I might just be able to listen to one more piece of it...

Like Hans said...you really need to go and find the other two recordings...especially *All The Weyrs of Pern* Anne's reading is one of the most wonderful I have ever listened to, of an author reading their own writings.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Mar 24 2011, 03:26 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

*smacks forehead*

I HAVE a USB vinyl record player. So I could digitize the LP but I never did! Must admit, my copy is still sealed! The opened one I had I gave away because I got it for free from another collector. So maybe... maybe... I should open my pristine sealed one (to discover it holds a totally other LP? Horror )

Geng, AtWoP is/was always relatively easily findable through internet/eBay. Nerilka will be more of a challenge. Both are abridhed and both consist out of two C90 cassettes. Hmmm, need to digitize those too before my cassette player gives out.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Mar 24 2011, 11:18 PM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I need to know more about this gadget that will digitalize my book tapes, especially the Nerilka one, as well as my vinyl record of *The WHite Dragon*....or are they two different gadgets???

Old Mar 25 2011, 03:37 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Yes, they are different. I can hook my cassette player up to the compter, that has always been the case.

Not so log ago I bought a special little record player with a USB plug they nowadays sell. Specifcally to digitize vinyl records. It was cheap, cost about $45 (brand name is watssound). You just plug it into the computer, start a recording program and ready you are.
I herd now there are even very fancy ones, far more expensive, that let you put on a record, insert a CD in a slot and wham, it automatically makes a vinyl record into a dvd...

Here's a handy link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/new...yl-Records.jsp

Old Mar 26 2011, 12:35 AM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

WOW!!! Thank You Hans...you know how many audio book tapes we have, and it would save us a lot of money, not to have to replace any or all of them with the CD versions. Martin sends his thanks too...!!!

Old Mar 31 2011, 12:56 AM   #11
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
WOW!!! Thank You Hans...you know how many audio book tapes we have, and it would save us a lot of money, not to have to replace any or all of them with the CD versions. Martin sends his thanks too...!!!
I would love to do that to a few tape in my own collection. Thanks Hans I shall look it over later, I've found replacements for a few of then all non Anne Reading them
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by GinnyStar; Aug 21 2014 at 03:56 PM.
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2012, 08:06 AM   #12
Bruce
Rocksquat

Fan of: Dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: Anything I can get my hands on

I bought the LP of the White Dragon some years ago and have it in a record display case in my collection area. I have had the LP and the cassette copy of ATWOP transferred to audio CDs. I took them to a audio/video transfer service. They did a great job. I'm still looking for a copy of Nerilka's story.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2012, 11:53 AM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

Can't help you Bruce, I do have an Anne read AtWoP cassette box for sale but the spare Nerilka's Story went many months ago to somebody here.

Old Dec 2 2012, 02:29 PM   #14
Bruce
Rocksquat

Thanks for looking Hans! Our local bookstore chain, Half price books, has cassette audio books for cheap prices, 2-4 dollars. Just a matter of checking every so often. One will turn up sooner or later.
Old Dec 2 2012, 11:16 PM   #15
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I have a very precious copy of *Nerilka's Story* that I got several years ago, but sorry Bruce, it's not for sale. I do hope you can find one...they are a bit far and few between. Good Luck...hope you can find one...soon.

Old Aug 17 2014, 04:01 PM   #16
Bruce
Rocksquat

I'm still looking for a copy of "Nerilka's Story on audio. I know one will pop up some day..
Old Aug 17 2014, 04:34 PM   #17
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I have several audio books on cassette (I don't know if Nerilka is one of them, I kind of doubt it). None of them are read by Anne, which I guess is the only kind people want?! I am not an audio book person, these were gifts from a friend who had duplicates and thought I might like them. I like to read the printed word for myself.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18 2014, 02:42 PM   #18
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I'm still looking for a copy of "Nerilka's Story on audio. I know one will pop up some day..
I already sold my spare one to a fan in Australia. I do have a spare copy of the 2 cassette set of All The Weyrs of Pern that Anne herself reads. One listened to and one still pristine in shrink wrap!

I'd be willing to sell the rare still shrink wrapped one...

Old Aug 18 2014, 08:42 PM   #19
Bruce
Rocksquat

I have several copies of All the Weyrs of Pern on cassette. I had one duped over to cd last year. I'm saving listening to it for a special time knowing how special it will be to hear Anne read her book for me. I remember you commenting on how Anne got emotional when she got to Robinton's final moments. I'll probably listen to it during my next read through of the Pern series.
Old Aug 18 2014, 10:02 PM   #20
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

I also have the "All there Weyrs of Pern" cassette read by Anne. One of these days I need to have it dubbed to a CD. I have listened to parts of it just to be sure it is still a good tape. I worry about it deteriorating.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19 2014, 09:29 PM   #21
Bruce
Rocksquat

That was another of the reasons that I had the transfer done. Better quality and convenience of listening with the cd format.
Old Aug 19 2014, 11:06 PM   #22
Larry
Glow

Fan of: Menolly

Hans, are you interested in selling the second copy of All the Weyrs of Pern on cassette? I realize I do not have any of the audio recordings (LP or cassettes) and would love to have her stories read in her voice.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote