A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > All the Rest

All the Rest One-offs, romances, fantasy novellas, short stories... If it's not in any of the above series - or it crosses the realms of multiple series - come discuss it here!

Old Apr 15 2005, 03:51 AM   #1
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks
Default Best books

Which, in your opinion, is the best book written by Anne, and why? I don't mean your favourite (though it could be that), I mean which reads as the best, is the most mature, with the best plot, best dialogue, best characterisation, and so forth. What I want is excellence, not what book you enjoy for the sake of enjoying.

To give you an idea of what I mean, although I enjoy Masterharper, I would argue that of the books I've read the best is Moreta. The characterisation is well-done; I care for the characters, and I can envisage them as real people. The plot is good, too: it has the right amount of tension, emotion and interest. It's also lean writing, with no flab or glaring inconsistencies. Finally, it doesn't feel as if the ending is an obligatory happy one. It is alloyed: the deaths of Moreta and Orlith temper the joy of the hatching, so that, although the major players have gone, Pern continues, albeit diminished somewhat by the tragedy of her passing.

I'd love to hear which book you feel is the best.
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15 2005, 04:41 AM   #2
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Re: Best books

its hard but probably Restoree despite the confusion with the "death ray"
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15 2005, 07:11 PM   #3
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Er. Well, I haven't read every book Anne has written, so it's hard for me to say.

In terms of Pern, with which I'm most familiar, I don't think there's any question that Moreta stands head and shoulders above the rest. Plot, characters, setting, Anne was firing on all cylinders when she wrote that one. (And I look at book like Renegades and wonder, "What happened?") In general...er, taking into account when things were written and what was in fashion and what else was being published at the time, I'd have to say the best true science fiction she's written is "The Ship Who Sang." As a series of novellas it is a touch disjointed, but it's thought-provoking and based around science, not quasi-science (sorry, Pern is at the very most science fantasy with science retconned into it.) Since the ostensible point of sci-fi is to raise questions, scientific and moral, I'd say TSWSang succeeds better than her other books, and doesn't rely on demi-science like telepathy or sentient planets. TSWSang is plausible, and it raises a lot of moral questions, and does it with a compelling lead character.

On the romances, I've only read "The Lady/The Carradyne Touch" and so can't comment.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16 2005, 01:25 PM   #4
Brenda

I think The Ship Who Searched is better than the Ship Who Sang. It was written as a novel, not as separate stories put together in a book. You care about the characters, the plot is intriguing, and the science was pretty believable to me.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16 2005, 03:00 PM   #5
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda
I think The Ship Who Searched is better than the Ship Who Sang. It was written as a novel, not as separate stories put together in a book. You care about the characters, the plot is intriguing, and the science was pretty believable to me.
But it's a flop as serious sci-fi. It's just another romance-dressed-up book, while TSWS has the issue of fixation, but without a neat wrap-up with a body, now yippee, all our problems are solved and we can have sex! resolution. Honestly, I think Helva's "If you didn't do it now, Niall, you never will" is vastly more poignant than anything in TSWSearched, even if some of it reads a trace dated (if you read a lot that was published at the same time, it's not outside the mainstream for SF of the day.) Searched doesn't raise any real moral or scientific questions (the archaeology is shallowly written at best, and while I understand because real archaeology is mind-bogglingly tedious, that still does mean it's just window-dressing) and relies pretty much entirely on a romance-novel fobidden love issue. Because Sang is combined novellas (as Dragonflight is), it's not as strictly adherent to the English-class rule of rising action-climax-denoument, but in its sections it's very effective.

Basically, "...Searched" is fluff SF, "...Sang" is probably the closest to hard SF Anne's ever gone in a book-length story, and it has the advantage over most hard SF that the characters get as much attention as the plot. (Possibly a topic for an issue of how is Anne as a woman a different kind of author than, say, Asimov.)
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16 2005, 11:47 PM   #6
geishagirl

Wow, thats deep!
geishagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17 2005, 08:21 AM   #7
Bagpuss
Deski

Fan of: Crystal Singer.
Now Reading: Nothing at all.....!

The Crystal Singer series.....
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20 2005, 08:53 PM   #8
Dragonsqueen
Inactive

Very tough question! Prehaps Dragons song, although that might be a bit bias since it's my second favorate book, bt if it was the first book I picked up of hers, I'd think it was excellent.
Dragonsqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2005, 02:16 PM   #9
Larra Dragonrider
I dropped. I stay.

i really couldn't say, i'll have to do some more "research"
I've only read acorna and pern.
so far i'd say dflight or MHop
Larra Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2005, 04:16 PM   #10
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Of the Pern books, Moreta without question. I also agree with Anareth re: The Ship Who Sang. Although it's got psi in it, Pegasus in Space is without question the best book Anne's written after 1995 IMO (I haven't read all the Acorna or PTB books, but those have major input from the co-authors as well). I like Crystal Singer and Killashandra, which are also sci-fi, albeit with a strong romance element, but Crystal Line's an utter mess.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2005, 12:41 AM   #11
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Fan of: Pern & Doona
Now Reading: Fantastic Voyage

Well, I've only read Pern so far.

Of those, I'd say the Harper Hall books. Those were the first books by Anne that I've read.
Old May 14 2005, 03:26 AM   #12
monkeysrule
Le RAWR.
Hatchling

Fan of: Monkeys
Now Reading: expensive textbooks!

It would be Dragonsdawn. For one, the characters are very well developed and rounded. Many of the sub-plots are well written. It explains a lot about Pern (like why queens can't chew firestone) and is just...great overall. But Moreta comes in close second.
monkeysrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2005, 12:25 AM   #13
geishagirl

You know what I don't know which one would be my favorite. I did love Moreta and DragonFlight but I also love alot of the other ones too
I will have to think about that one
geishagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10 2005, 10:29 PM   #14
Sandi

As far as raising moral and other types of questions, I'd have to vote for the Freedom series. The part when Zainal & Co. sneaked in on the Eosi and killed them off with chemical weapons has made me ponder quite a bit. The things they did go against everything I've been taught most of my life. But then, how else could they ever have overcome those evil beings? When does the end justify the means. Does it ever? I know these books have some glaring problems (nightcrawlers being among them) but this aspect of the story still deserves some consideration.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13 2005, 09:59 AM   #15
DRAGONROSE
Inactive

Location: east of the moon and straight on till sunset Australia

has anybody read
"Black Horses for the King"
I found it quite different
to any of her others.
DRAGONROSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2005, 07:11 PM   #16
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Only thing I'm sure of right now is that this is my 500th post!

I've never really given it much thought...but Power Lines was very well written, I had strong feelings about the good and bad characters. I could visualize the scenes very well, and I didn't want to put the book down til the end even the third time through. Oh, and I felt just as strongly about the characters the third time as I had the first.

If I have to exclude co-written books, I might have to agree with ghyle on Moreta.

Tresa

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2005, 04:01 PM   #17
Unregistered

Big Grin Re: Best books

I can't decide between the crystal singers and the riders of pern, Lessa is my hero!
Old Nov 23 2005, 07:08 PM   #18
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

I would like to add The White Dragon, The Dolphins of Pern, and Decision at Doona to my nominations for Anne's best books.
Old Dec 31 2005, 09:39 PM   #19
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...

Have to say Pegasus in Flight. I enjoyed it heaps, it was possible to follow (though I had to read it twice to do so) and it has great characters. But I haven't read all her books.
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31 2005, 10:13 PM   #20
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I have realized that I have an McCaffrey charactor that is myfavorite of any of the books, I have always loved Helva, the original brainship. She was the most amazing charactor that I have ever read of all the books that I have read. I have read Clark to Herbert, and many places in between. Helva is the most intriuging of them all to me. I would love to be able to fly the sea of stars between world as she did.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21 2006, 12:01 AM   #21
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

I'm going to say that Stitch in Snow is another well written book. I think mainly that is because Anne travels so much herself that she could put a lot of personal experience into this one.
Moreta and Ship Who Sang are also well written books.
Of course, I enjoy just about all of her characters and her descriptions put me into the story in just about every book she writes. So I think the majority are very well written.
Old Nov 13 2006, 11:09 PM   #22
tameeria
Inactive

I haven't read much beyond the Pern series yet (although I did read "Black Horses for the King" and enjoyed that quite a bit), so I don't really feel qualified to comment outside of Pern.

However, of the Pern series, I have to agree that it's definitely Moreta. Why? Because it actually is a true story with a definite ending and not just a chapter in the neverending to-be-continued saga of events in certain characters' lives. The main character's actions turn her into one of the great tragic heroes in Pern's history. End of story. That in itself makes it a stand-alone classic.
tameeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14 2006, 05:11 PM   #23
Mousie

Yes Moreta was a well written book, but Dragon Quest and the second book of the harpers get my vote. Ms McCaffrey was able to make you feel you were there when F'nor was falling from the sky and every dragon and every firelizard when to save them. I cried when I read both of these books, not just the first time through but on the second and third reading.
I like reading books that carry the character's forward and not just leaving them gone and forgotten.
Mousie
Old Mar 23 2007, 10:58 PM   #24
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

my favorite was Dragons Dawn and Dolphins of Pern. You can just feel the terror the first time thread fell in Dragons Dawn. In dolphins of Pern the way the dolphins were protrayed was brillant.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24 2007, 02:40 PM   #25
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I think that the best writen book of the Pern series was perhaps Dragondawn...It has very well dicribed characters... the story grows nicely as the colony grows... with very interesting small sideline storys that meld together well to bring a very emotional and heartrending climax.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24 2007, 06:21 PM   #26
Mary

Oh gosh, this is very difficult. First off I thought Restoree before I read anyone comments but you all have very valid points. I would exclude the harper hall trilogy and the co written books from my selection as the harper hall trilogy is definitely writter for the YA market. And I agree that Anne's books are not very Si-Fi no matter what she says herself.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24 2007, 10:02 PM   #27
Allana
Greenrider 'Lana

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

I would have to choose Dragonsdawn!
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26 2007, 05:35 PM   #28
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

I think I'm inclined to agree, (since I've only read the Pern Series) that Moreta is the best written book in the series. As has been previously stated, I feel the character development was very well done, and as someone has afore mentioned, I actually felt for the characters. I also think that there is a lot of information regarding the day to day life on Pern that seems to be missing from most of the other books...although to confirm that I'll have to re-read it...^^;
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2007, 01:48 PM   #29
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClance View Post
I would like to add The White Dragon, The Dolphins of Pern, and Decision at Doona to my nominations for Anne's best books.
Check that.

The whole Doona trilogy was brilliantly written!
Old Apr 4 2007, 05:16 PM   #30
Rho
Renegade

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: The Land of Painted Caves

Of the Pern books I would choose Dragonsdawn, however, overall I would have to say Restoree. It's absolutely ages since I've read it but it really struck me.
Rho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2007, 10:57 PM   #31
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I liked the Doona books as well

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7 2009, 02:23 AM   #32
bats

The book that really changed my reading ,,to where I found my World
into Fantasy Books ,,after reading The Aztec by Garry Jennings,,other books
on SF etc ,were so boring,,the lady at the bookshop said try ''Anne mcCaffery'
Charles De-Lint ,or Raymond E Fiest,'',I told her I really wasn't into THOSE
sort of books ,,but I 'll give them a try just try and take them off me now

Thank you Aztec you put me on a more exciting Road of reading.
bats
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14 2009, 02:46 PM   #33
Brenda

Bats, I think you missed the point of this thread...
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19 2009, 05:41 PM   #34
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

Necro-post! In more ways than one, as I tried to post this just as they moved servers...this is the post that shouldn't have lived, if I didn't compulsively ctrl + A, ctrl + c.

To get back on topic...I have a hard time saying which I like best (although the comments about The Ship Who Sang and Pegasus in Space are interesting...particularly since I didn't like PiS too much, so it makes me wonder what you like about it, Granath).

I'd say it's something of a tie between The Ship Who Sang, To Ride Pegasus, Pegasus in Flight, The Rowan, Damia, and Killashandra for me. The Ship Who Sang *is* probably the best (and hardest) true sci-fi AMC's written, but I personally like the others a lot. I'm not sure which is better than which, however. But they all share pretty strong initial Ideas and Characters, and they complete in a satisfactory way.

I keep getting the impression (no pun intended) that AMC's strength is short stories and once-off novels, and that by working with series she gets a bit over-extended...

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote