A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Freedom

Old Jun 27 2006, 08:03 PM   #1
Sandi

Default Dissidents

There was a lot of rampant idealism on Botany. Most of the main characters seemed to have the attitude that so what if my homeworld is overrun, my friends and family dead or in jeapordy, this place is pretty and it's fun to live here and whatever we want badly enough we can do/have. Not all the colonist felt that way, however. I think about Balenquah and wonder what exactly had happened to him before he reached Botany and what and who he had lost that made him so morose. As a mother and grandmother, I don't know if I could be as cheerful as it seemed PC to be on Botany. I wonder just how many people really were happy about a Cattenni being in such a powerful role on the new world and whether there were any who never really accepted his devotion to Botany and its people as genuine. How many of us here would be willing to do so?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2006, 08:26 PM   #2
Brenda

Default Re: Dissidents

Well, some people are just Eeyores by nature. I do find it odd that Kris is able to ignore completely any worry she might feel for her family. I would probably be very worried, but also throw myself into helping make our new world more like home, just to have something to get my mind off it.

I'm sure a lot of them had trouble with Zainal remaining alive, much less having influence, but Chuck Mitford was able to keep them quelled. And once Zainal ran out to save the next load from the night crawlers and then refused to leave on the ship, that probably won almost everyone else over to be more accepting, or at least respectful.

There wouldn't have been much of a story without Mitford.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28 2006, 01:16 AM   #3
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

When you are in a situation like that, you CAN'T worry too much - it waste's time that could be put to use keeping you alive!

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28 2006, 10:07 PM   #4
Bookworm
Inactive

Fan of: Anything Pern
Now Reading: Talent series

Ironic you should bring this up. I have been working my way through my AM collection. I just finished Rowan/Talent today and was planning on starting Freedom. So I'm going to have to watch and see if there's any mention of Kris's family. Memory is telling me that she knew her family was gone.

Also, I'm thinking that many of those dropped knew their family/friends were also scooped up, but didn't know where they had been sent.

I am of two minds on this situation: I know there had to be those people who desperately wanted to return to Earth (or thier home planets) to search for family and friends, or help rebuild. I'm sure also there were others who didn't have much family/friends to return to and saw Botany as a new beginning.

I think I would have to be in the situation personally to know which way I would decide. But I think that an opportunity to be part of a new planet would be awesome, especially if I could share it with loved ones.
Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28 2006, 10:39 PM   #5
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

No, Kris didn't know for certain what had happened to her family, but I guess she was just one of those people who understand that there's no point in worrying about things you can do nothing about. I do agree, though, that she seemed to put them all out of her mind, not really even remembering them, until she had the chance to go to Earth in the 4th book. It's been a while since I read them so I can't remember if she found any relatives or not.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30 2006, 06:53 PM   #6
Sandi

My original post was sort of wandering. I think what I was thinking about was that many of the people who spent a lot of time denouncing any form of intollerance were pretty intollerant themselves to some. I think that mocking Anna for being afraid and torturing Aerens (sp?) because they didn't like him was a little over the top. It made me think of Animal Farm, in a way. All are equal but some are more equal than others.

I understand the reasons why many saw the need and were able to put the past behind them and strive to improve the future. I really admire that ability in those characters. But I still think they could have been a little more considerate of those who were emotionally weaker and were having a more difficult time doing that.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27 2006, 12:09 AM   #7
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...

That makes more sense to me.
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15 2006, 12:38 PM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I think that most of the survivors didn't want to think about the lives that they had and lost...or all of their families and loved ones that they would never be able to see again. That made them more intolerant to those that kept tying to remind them of all their loss. Most of them just wanted to make the best of what they had where they were...that is true with most humans no matter where they find themselves.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15 2006, 12:47 PM   #9
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Perhaps it was having Zainal and the other alien races there that stopped the worry, showing a stiff upper lip etc, plus having someone like Mitford who, by his very training, can deal with emergancies, that stopped them falling to pieces- the planet that killed off all the aliens was more than a bit wierd!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29 2008, 06:28 PM   #10
draconichybrid
Ssli

Fan of: Lessa/Killa/TTATH pentad
Now Reading: Random Rereads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
My original post was sort of wandering. I think what I was thinking about was that many of the people who spent a lot of time denouncing any form of intolerance were pretty intolerant themselves to some. I think that mocking Anna for being afraid and torturing Aerens (sp?) because they didn't like him was a little over the top. It made me think of Animal Farm, in a way. All are equal but some are more equal than others.
I gathered that in Anna's case, she was also (initially) patently xenophobic (a la Clarissa Negava from the Talent books), and that more than the fear was what got her mocked.
Here Zainal was saving Anna's life and was obviously cooperating with humans, and yet she still decided to be all suspicious and waste valuable time openly questioning his motives.
Her suspicions do her credit, of course, but she still could have waited for a more appropriate time to voice them. After they had all escaped the Dalek-bots looking to chop them up into sausage would have been nice.

As for that Aerens creep, he was clearly opportunistic to a fault -- and let's not forget to mention all of that 'I'm God's gift to women' crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I understand the reasons why many saw the need and were able to put the past behind them and strive to improve the future. I really admire that ability in those characters. But I still think they could have been a little more considerate of those who were emotionally weaker and were having a more difficult time doing that.
You actually forgot to mention Patty Sue.
I can understand the whole 'fear of being raped again' thing on one level, but I felt the circumstances should have squashed it.
Pedant for the win! (j/k)

... Anyways, survival was the chief concern at the time. Actually, it was really the only concern, due to the little fact that unless the Botanists survived, nothing else they did instead was going to matter.
draconichybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4 2008, 02:42 PM   #11
Topaz the Golden

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on
2cent Re: Dissidents

I guess it depends on the person. I would much rather have the thought of my family as they were than worry that they are no longer alive or safe.
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6 2008, 10:55 AM   #12
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Me too. I can fully understand that not having any means to make sure if they were safe or not, most people would just not think about it much and concentrate on making as good a life for themselves as possible.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote