A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Apr 10 2008, 07:44 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Harper Hall Trilogy cover art

I was being reminded by something Jube mentioned in a thread in de DRoP forum of the fact that I boght an (archival quality) print of Victoria Poyser;s cover art for the SFBC edition of the Harper Hall trilogy.

I recently got it framed and placed on the wall of my Pern Art Stairwell

Here's a pic.

The smaller frame to its left hold the conratulatory card I got from Anne on the first anniversary of my website (long ago...)
It, well the text, can also be seen on my website

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10 2008, 09:13 AM   #2
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint
Default Re: Harper Hall Trilogy cover art

I've always loved that cover seeing that's the cover I look at every time I pick up that set of books.

It's really lovely to see it framed and showing off its glory.
Old Apr 10 2008, 10:00 AM   #3
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

That is very nice, Hans. Ah, to have a place for everything. My house is so full of my clutter, it is a real chore to find space to put things out. **sigh**
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10 2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Beautifully framed too, Hans! I'd love to see your Pern art wall in person!
Old Apr 10 2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

You're always welcome Becky! There will be a bed for you here if you want it
Nothing good enough than gold for my Master, the Dragonlady and Master MAelin. Poor Michael Whelan has to be content with silver

L'isa.. why do you think this art and stuff is in the stairwell? Because I've got no walls to put it on! Well, I have walls but... those either hold bookcases of my wife objects to Pern and McCaffrey taking over the house

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Apr 10 2008, 07:17 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I really do love your poster of Victoria Poysner art work . I think I am going to have to get one of them someday, to go with my Menoly poster by Robin Wood. It does looks very good on that wall...next to your lovely card momento from Anne...and your other artwork...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10 2008, 08:44 PM   #7
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

So glad to be of help, Hans, ! Love the artwork, now I'm on a mission to find my dratted list. I still can't remember that 3rd book and my list is missing. Boo Hoo! Here *list*, here *list*...........Jube wanders off to find her list..............Here *list*, come back to mama.

BEFORE I GO, THANKS FOR PUTTING UP YOUR ARTWORK. VERY NICE! ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11 2008, 05:09 PM   #8
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

WOW! I didn't know that there were prints available of that artwork, I love that cover. *searches to see if I can find any*
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11 2008, 05:40 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Good Luck Spiffy ...this one isn't seen to often for sale and after getting to see Hans lovely copy, there will probably be quite a few of us looking for them.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Apr 11 2008, 09:05 PM   #10
~(_'>

There's one on ebay right now. It's being sold in a set of 6 other prints. They want something like $45 for it. As if.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12 2008, 11:15 PM   #11
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Very nice Hans.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13 2008, 03:33 AM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

I seem to remember our resident Anne McCaffrey eBay shopkeeper Promed (Deanne) had a signed one not so long only, maybe you should mail Deanne if she still has it.

Old Apr 14 2008, 03:02 AM   #13
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Why does that name *Promed* sound familiar? ............. I remember now, I've brought items off her before. I think there's some items I'm "watching" on her list, mainly debating between getting something off her or getting the books off Cheryl.

There was 4 books on my list to find:
*A time when*
*Dragonharper of Pern* (3 stories in 1 book)
*The Dolphin's Bell* I think this is the book club version
*Dragon harper* Not sure if this is Todd's book or perhaps a short story/novella - this list was about before Todd's book was written so just getting details, would be nice.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Apr 14 2008, 07:37 AM   #14
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Dolphin's Bell is a bookclub hardcover

If your list predates Todd's writing, then Dragonharper would be the Crossroads Adventure written by Jody Lynn Nye. Do you have the other Crossroads, Dragonfire already? Otherwise that should be on your list as well!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2008, 08:02 AM   #15
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Just having a look now Cheryl.................I got my titles mixed up, it's actually "Dragonfire" that I'm after (Why do authors come up with same titles? It's truly maddening at times). I'll be having a look on ebay tomorrow to see what comes up anyway. After all, I had 12 "so called hard to find" books from about 3 years ago on my list and I've got it down to 5 so I think I'm doing okay so far. Mind you, I had help from Ghyle getting the Commodore 64 game and someone else put onto me onto the Mayfair game so eventually crossing fingers, like Hans and everyone else who puts their want list up, that I'll get my wish list fixed up.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Apr 14 2008, 10:15 AM   #16
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

You'd probably find Dragonfire by Nye cheaper though a used bookstore than eBay. It doesn't show up too often on eBay so it gets bid up a bit, but there's enough used bookstore stock that there'll be a few for $2 or so. Chech through bookfinder.com
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2008, 11:07 PM   #17
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Bookfinder is always a great place you want to look for books...even if you have found a copy of what your loooking for on ebay...its good to check what other prices are for that book. Often you can find cheaper copies on bookfinder than ebay, some in better shape as well.

Old May 5 2008, 08:18 AM   #18
Deanne
Softshell

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Stranger in a Strange Land

Well I haven't posted here for awhile as things have been busy and though this link is not really recent I will let anyone interested know I do have a copy of the Harper Hall print I could let go of.....actually I have 2 copys, one is signed (I am planning to keep this one) and one is not........I got them both in the "sets" of prints that are selling on ebay.....they were advertised as having the Pern print signed and when I got the first set it was a different print that was signed......I informed the seller of this as of course it was the Pern print I really wanted out of the whole group and he sent me a complete new set with the correct one signed! I offered to mail the first set back to him and he said no, go ahead and keep it! So now I am the lucky owner of 2 of them.......the other prints are nice but not really to my taste as most are from fantasy book covers featuring magic and the like.......if someone wants the complete set with the unsigned Harper Hall cover (remember, one of the other prints IS signed by the artist) I would let them go for $30.00 including postage (in the USA). That is a good bit less than the $45.00 plus postage the other ebay seller is asking.
Deanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2008, 09:11 AM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I seem to remember our resident Anne McCaffrey eBay shopkeeper Promed (Deanne) had a signed one not so long only, maybe you should mail Deanne if she still has it.
I mentioned the signed copy in an earlier post, Deanne. But I didn't knw you wanted to keep it. I'm fairly sure you had it up for sale on eBay at one time, correct?

Old May 5 2008, 10:07 AM   #20
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

I'm definitely be looking at all your goodies again Deanne but you may not know that my ebay and MoM nom-de-plumes are completely different so I'll send a missive through the "contact the seller" about it.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old May 7 2008, 12:55 AM   #21
Deanne
Softshell

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Stranger in a Strange Land

Hans you were correct.....I did at one time have a signed copy on ebay but that one I sold......therefore, I am keeping my other signed copy......the portfolio I mentioned on here is not listed on ebay at this time. I have alot of books listed and just have not had time to take pics of it, etc, to get it listed on there. (I am selling sci-fi and fantasy books by a variety of authors now though I still try to keep a fair amount of Anne's books).......I don't have alot of "special" books of Anne's listed right now as I have been trying to keep those for myself though there are some good ones listed. With all the nice books I have on hand, Anne's are the only ones I actually try to collect for myself to keep.

And I think I got a wonderful buy! An ebay seller that generally lists very common books, magazines and the like (most of thier books sell for a dollar or two apiece) sold me a Del Rey first print of Dragonflight AND Dragonquest for $120.00...........not ex-library, not beat up! He seemed really WOW'D to get that much for a couple of books......and quickley accepted the offer I made him.....believe me I acted fast for fear someone else would get them. Obviously, he had no idea what kind of prices those books can bring but a lucky find for me .........(imagine a tall, overweight 50 yr old woman dancing about with a wicked, possibly half crazed, smile...........)
Deanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2008, 04:01 AM   #22
Hans
Master Archivist

Wow, that was a super deal on the Dragonflight and Dragonquest, Deanne! Congratulations

I had something like it happening to me when I bought my Dragonquest from a woman in the south of England for around 20 pounds / 40 dollars

Old May 7 2008, 05:27 AM   #23
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I've had a non-Anne moment like that when I bought a 1st edition Hornblower and the Atropos. Though the guy selling it knew it was worth a lot, he'd got it for very, very little and sold it for £3 as that's what he sold HBs for.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2008, 10:00 AM   #24
Becky
Coelura

Great deal Deanne!!! I found a HC copy of Dragonflight for $12 once. I sold it for $175 because it had a pin hole in the dust jacket. I put that on the eBay listing after I'd listed it because I didn't see it till then. But wanted anyone who was interested in it to know about it. But it didn't deter bidders!
Old May 9 2008, 01:04 AM   #25
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

OH Lord Becky ...you are going to make a lot of collectors green with envy over finding a $12.00 HC copy of Dragonflight . Mine was a good buy at $60.00...but not the steal you found.

Old May 9 2008, 10:02 AM   #26
Becky
Coelura

It was a stop on a whim at a book store that I hadn't been to in a long while because they never had much in the way of Anne's books. So it just proves that you have got to keep stopping in places and checking around, you never know what you'll find!
Old May 9 2008, 10:58 AM   #27
Hans
Master Archivist

Oh, Becky, I definitely agree with that. That way I had my best bargain surprises!

Old May 12 2008, 11:42 PM   #28
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Becky...I remember that comment now... and you finding the book in your favorite book store.
Hans I most heartily agree...I have also found several very wonderful treasures just by visiting a new book store....or garage sale[latest art find]