A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Feb 21 2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Dragonflight
Default Anyone else Love their Kindle?

A couple of weeks ago, I finally succumbed to temptation and invested in an Amazon Kindle

Now, I don't know how I ever survived without it I've downloaded loads of old favourite classics which are available free, and I've probably got enough reading matter to keep me going until Christmas without ever picking up a book

Unlike my previous PDA, it's a joy to read on the Kindle, the typeface is good, the light is good, the weight is good - in fact, it's all-round good

Anyone else a fan?
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21 2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Bob12
Heavyworlder

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Default Re: Anyone else Love their Kindle?

Pretty much the same sentiments, except toward a Nook (the original, not the color). Really got me spoiled.
Old Feb 22 2011, 01:40 AM   #3
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

YES!

I luuurrrve my kindle.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22 2011, 02:19 AM   #4
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

I dont have one, though I do have an E-Reader (not a name brand one), because my Dad has been thinking about selling them, and I scammed a free sample. It's ok, but I think I am an old fashioned gal when it comes to these.
I like the feeling of having a real book in my hands, and I often find myself panicking that books might become obsolete eventually because of them. Even when I travel, I prefer to actually take the book with me.

My Dad thinks I'm nuts by the way...
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22 2011, 02:57 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

We're an international and varied lot, because I've got the same sentiments but I love my Apple iPad

The iPad is, of course, much more than a reader and I soon figured out one of the things I loved most about it: as a pampered computer user of long standing I discovered I was immensely pleased about the fact that it is on and running within one to two seconds after I hit the ON button, with internet access and programs ready to run.
Now THAt is something I haven't experienced in a LONG time, especially not with Windows computers and not even with regular Apples!

I love the thing

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22 2011, 02:43 PM   #6
kc

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneli View Post
A couple of weeks ago, I finally succumbed to temptation and invested in an Amazon Kindle

Now, I don't know how I ever survived without it I've downloaded loads of old favourite classics which are available free, and I've probably got enough reading matter to keep me going until Christmas without ever picking up a book

Unlike my previous PDA, it's a joy to read on the Kindle, the typeface is good, the light is good, the weight is good - in fact, it's all-round good

Anyone else a fan?
Not yet - I haven't invested, but I'm thinking about it. My sister got one for Xmas (a 3G wifi one) and I'm not sure if I need that sort or the ordinary one.
kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22 2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Bob12
Heavyworlder

I, too, have an iPad, and use it extensively, including taking notes at meetings. I do read occasionally on it, but, with overly light sensitive eyes, I can only handle about an hour's reading before my eyes start straining. I've tried turning the brightness down but it doesn't help much. On the Nook, with no backlight, I can read several hours with no noticeable eye strain. So, they both have their places in my gadget stable.
Old Feb 22 2011, 04:51 PM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Did you try different reader apps, Bob? I think I have about 8 installed

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Feb 22 2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Anneli
Weyrwoman

I opted for the cheaper version, not 3G. I have broadband at home, and I decided that I could survive not being able to download additional reading material over the 3G network My broadband WIFI is more than up to the task, for the extra £50 I personally don't think the 3G version is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc View Post
Not yet - I haven't invested, but I'm thinking about it. My sister got one for Xmas (a 3G wifi one) and I'm not sure if I need that sort or the ordinary one.
Old Feb 22 2011, 06:07 PM   #10
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

I love mine. Though I'd like to know why some of the books come with things already highlighted, then won't let me turn the highlights off. It's weird. I can find them when I go to View Highlights, but not under Notes.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22 2011, 07:46 PM   #11
Bob12
Heavyworlder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Did you try different reader apps, Bob? I think I have about 8 installed
Yep, several. It seems to be the same on most backlit displays. The sole exception is my 27 inch HD monitor on one of my PCs. Perhaps that's because it takes up a greater percentage of my field of view, whereas the iPad and notebook screens are more like looking at a single point of light. I actually prefer the Nook software on the iPad -- if I'm only planning a "short read" time; otherwise, I'll use the Nook.
Old Feb 22 2011, 09:06 PM   #12
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Lightbulb Re: Anyone else Love their Kindle?

*bump* to track and split http://forums.srellim.org/showthread...973#post172973 E-Readers and Audio Readers
Before I get off topic

An update, Kindle can use the audable.com just listen to it on TV, which folks I think would know but I don't know if anyone has tried it.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by GinnyStar; Feb 23 2011 at 03:04 PM.
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23 2011, 07:33 AM   #13
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Fan of: The Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: anything on my eReader

I have a Sony Reader (the 650) and I am really happy with it. I thought about getting the Samsung Galaxy pad, but thought it was too much extra gadget when I just needed a reader; plus a pad eats up battery so much faster than a reader with eInk technology.

Did anyone else notice that some of Anne's books can't be bought in most European countries as ebooks?
Nefermiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23 2011, 10:44 AM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

Hey Nef,

Need to disagree with you there. I have absolutely no problems with the running time of the iPad (the MacBook Pro, yes. The iPad, no).

And yes, we noticed that, about the ebooks. There's actually a topic on that issue in DRoP forum!
It boils down to the fact that certain publishers do not have the rights to publish or sell an ebook in all countries. The contract probably stipulates only English speaking countries or maybe countries are actually mentioned, or something like that.

My, we are a divers lot where it concerns ereaders. I like that

Old Feb 23 2011, 11:09 AM   #15
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

I love my Kindle. At first that tiny delay between pages really annoyed me, but not so much anymore (I'm actually now thinking there may have been something amiss with that first book that took pages longer to load.) My hands aren't protesting the amount of reading I do anymore, which is awesome.

I agree with Anneli that one really doesn't need the greater internet access of the 3G.

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23 2011, 03:28 PM   #16
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Another agreement. My grandparents got me the 3G/Wi-fi version for Christmas, and I've only used the 3G once, when I was showing it to my grandmother at her house. At home, I have wireless access, so occasionally use that.

Old Feb 23 2011, 06:48 PM   #17
kc

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneli View Post
I opted for the cheaper version, not 3G. I have broadband at home, and I decided that I could survive not being able to download additional reading material over the 3G network My broadband WIFI is more than up to the task, for the extra £50 I personally don't think the 3G version is worth it.

"Another agreement. My grandparents got me the 3G/Wi-fi version for Christmas, and I've only used the 3G once, when I was showing it to my grandmother at her house. At home, I have wireless access, so occasionally use that. " - Tresa

"I agree with Anneli that one really doesn't need the greater internet access of the 3G." - Pam

Thanks Anneli, Pam and Tresa - I'll have another word with my sister and take your comments into consideration when making my choice

It might not be until the summer though (probably my birthday pressie to myself)
kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24 2011, 06:30 AM   #18
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Quote:

Need to disagree with you there. I have absolutely no problems with the running time of the iPad (the MacBook Pro, yes. The iPad, no).

Interesting. I guess you use your iPad for more than just reading, but what would you estimate the battery time would be if you only used it to read?
My Sony Reader lasts for up to 2 weeks on one charge.
Old Feb 24 2011, 10:02 AM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

Nef, I found out that the capacity in reality is only slightly shorter than the advertised 10 hours.
So a continuous read of just under ten hours should be possible (never tested that).

You are right in that I use the iPad for a variety of things, reading not being the foremost because I still prefer a book over any e-reader!

I do use it as my diary/agenda, notepad, newsreader (viewing Dutch teletekst and nu.nl mainly), TV guide and as the fastest browsing-the-internet appliance. I use it often to browse the internet. I also check my gmail accounts on it, very regularly, when I am not sitting behind a desktop computer.
I rarely use it for fun apps; mostly only in company, at a birthday party or something like it.
And oh, I use it to show my holiday photos to other people but I do not constantly use it as an electronic photo display, although I have been observed putting it up on my desk at work this winter, while it was running a fire place with moving flames It did make the room warmer, I swear!

Old Feb 25 2011, 04:33 AM   #20
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

10 hours is a lot less than what I get out of my reader, so I'm quite happy with my choice of reading device. If I was to say fly to America I would be sad to have to stop reading just because I ran out of batteries.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S mobile phone and frequently use it for checking my email from the couch when I don't want to get up and turn on my laptop. I almost only use the wifi on the phone and have only once or twice accessed the internet when out of the house.
The only two apps that I use on a regular basis on my phone is the Jorte calendar which is briliant and a shopping list for groceries.

Old Feb 25 2011, 10:12 AM   #21
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc View Post
"Another agreement. My grandparents got me the 3G/Wi-fi version for Christmas, and I've only used the 3G once, when I was showing it to my grandmother at her house. At home, I have wireless access, so occasionally use that. " - Tresa

"I agree with Anneli that one really doesn't need the greater internet access of the 3G." - Pam

Thanks Anneli, Pam and Tresa - I'll have another word with my sister and take your comments into consideration when making my choice

It might not be until the summer though (probably my birthday pressie to myself)
OTOH, I've found the 3G access VERY useful - downloading new books from doctor surgery waiting rooms, and also for checking e-mail the day our broadband connection and phone went tits-up...
Old Feb 25 2011, 05:21 PM   #22
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Good points, Kath. Guess it depends on the person, and what their needs are. I usually download several books at a time, and if I ever finish the last one while out and about I'd probably just play one of my games til I was home again. And I don't use the Kindle's browser as it's unreadable to me. Without internet, I read, play games, or watch tv. Or paint/draw if I'm inspired enough.

Old Feb 25 2011, 05:39 PM   #23
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
OTOH, I've found the 3G access VERY useful - downloading new books from doctor surgery waiting rooms, and also for checking e-mail the day our broadband connection and phone went tits-up...
I didn't see the need for internet access on both the iPhone and iPad and since I bought the iPad in the USA it was covenient not to buy the 3G.
IF I want to download a book, I'll do it by phone and transfer the book later to the iPad since they both use iTunes.
But to be honest, I don't see me downloading books in waiting rooms although that might depend on how long you have to sit there!

Old Feb 26 2011, 02:42 PM   #24
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
But to be honest, I don't see me downloading books in waiting rooms although that might depend on how long you have to sit there!
Right now, I'm going every fortnight, and waiting up to half an hour each time. Got a three-hour fasting glucose test to do next week, and an hour to spend on a bus up and down the mountain to work each day as well, and in a month or so I'll be strapped to a fetal heart monitor for 20-min stints at those regular appointments as well - so yeah, lots of dead-time when I can often run out of books!
Old Feb 26 2011, 07:46 PM   #25
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

We have yet to buy one of these interesing gadgets, as both my husband and I still enjoy the feel of a real book in our hands.
I think I have been fighting getting anymore electronic gadgets, other than our computers and cell phones, as I can't help feeling like were being quietly taken over by them...I start feeling like I'm part of an Asimov book...LOL
Although when Hans was visiting us, he happily showed me his new ipad and some of the incrdible things IT and he could do with it...now I will say that did really catch my attention, at least for a few days.
I'm afraid I might just be too old fashioned and set in my slower ways to try and relearn how to do some of my normal every day things on some of these gadgets...I hardly know how to use my cell phone...thankfully I do have very up-to-date Grand-daughters, who love teaching their Grandparents new things......!!!

@Kath...I hope there isn't a problem with the new pregnancy???

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27 2011, 03:23 PM   #26
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post

@Kath...I hope there isn't a problem with the new pregnancy???

No, just the same problems as the last one! I'm actually seeing my doctor a little less this time around. Not sure when the appointments will move from monthly to fortnightly officially, but I've got a bit of a cluster of them in different places right now. Looks like I have slight gestational diabetes again, so that needs thorough checking and I had protein in my urine last week which is either a sign of infection (very likely, given the crud currently living in my sinuses, the cough, the tonsilitis...) or pre-eclampsia (less likely - my blood pressure is something like 100/50 right now), so I need to go back again for that this week... and what with all the other complications we already know about, they don't stint on the checkups. To be fair though, I think most german women get a far better deal than in the US or UK - basic monthly checks are standard right the way through, but if you have the slightest medical needs for more ultrasounds/blood tests/specialist advice/whatever, you get it just like that, easy peasy.

Back on topic, I don't see many of Anne's books available for the Kindle. Am I looking in the wrong places, or is this a US/EU+UK publishing house battleground issue?
Old Feb 27 2011, 10:51 PM   #27
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Kath...good to hear that your getting such good care again. Hopefully you won't have any other problems with this pregnancy, than you had the last time...and everything goes well, all the way through to a healthy, happy baby.

Do you know what you're having this time?

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28 2011, 03:57 AM   #28
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Kath...good to hear that your getting such good care again. Hopefully you won't have any other problems with this pregnancy, than you had the last time...and everything goes well, all the way through to a healthy, happy baby.

Do you know what you're having this time?
Thanks!

yes, we know - it's another boy, and probably he's gonna be at least as big as Matthew...
Old Mar 9 2011, 05:46 AM   #29
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

I just realised that I have not updated my thread about e-readers

I have bought the Ebook from Elonex 511. The screen is just like reading a real book with no back lighting. The Ebook is already "old" and with no extra features like the Kindle, which one of my colleagues has. Basically I use my Ebook as a USB stick to upload ebooks from my computer and READ.

I have also discovered the riches of reading the old and free books on www.gutenberg.org, and I just love the old classics - still wondering why I have not read them before

Besides I have managed to get all Annes books, except one or two, onto my Ebook, and I just love having them with me always and everywhere!!

just loving to read Anne's books!!!

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2011, 08:37 PM   #30
Rho
Renegade

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: The Land of Painted Caves

I have the Kindle app on the iPad and on my phone. Although I do prefer to read "proper" books I love the option of having them on both devices especially my phone as it is so portable. Also, living out in the sticks, it's great to be able to get books "on demand" instead of waiting a week to get them delivered.
Rho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26 2011, 07:54 AM   #31
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I'm seriously considering buying one. I'll read books in paper covers, but it'd be handy for fanfic... FF has a mobile application but I'm not sure which format it uses.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26 2011, 05:46 PM   #32
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Also I tried out a sample chapter of Healer's War on Kindle Beta for the computer, not bad, you can change font size, color of the background screen, and few other things, Its has a free download to computer too. "Unsure at the moment."

I was also reading about something related to the Nook, the other day.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26 2011, 09:56 PM   #33
Dragon Fan

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy
Now Reading: The Rift

I like my kindle, The best is the FREE ebooks from many sites. The only thing I noticed that bugs me is the way it displays PDF format books. Also when I send a .PDF file to the free kindle conversion site to have it changed to an .AZW ( kindle file) some of them come back as a jumbled bunch of characters. I also haven't received an answer back as to why this happens yet.
Old Nov 6 2011, 03:27 PM   #34
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I might be getting a Kindle Fire for Christmas! I mentioned to Jenn and Mike that I could someday get a Nook, like Jenn has. She said "get a Kindle Fire, instead of the portable DVD player you were asking for for Christmas". So, perhaps there will be one of these under the tree for me! I looked at them at the Amazon site and they look like just what I'd enjoy! I'll still buy regular books (signed Terry Pratchett's, for instance) but this will save a lot of trees!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7 2011, 12:20 PM   #35
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

I got a Kindle for Christmas last year and absolutely love it. I have all my favorite books in it and do not have to carry around a huge book bag to take them with me. Audio books are good too. I have been looking at the Kindle fire but it will not replace the original Kindle I have because of the E ink. The fire is back lit like a computer so it is not as conducive to reading. It was my best Christmas present!!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11 2011, 04:16 PM   #36
Svana
Muskie

Now Reading: Storm from the Shadows - Weber

I have to say that my Kindle was one of the best buys I've ever made. I love the fact that it's so easy to read and I can carry it with me all the time and start the next book with a simple click.

Not only that, but those bookshelves I used to have in the closet holding my favorites are no longer needed. I can find the old friends in my Kindle.
Svana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2011, 06:23 PM   #37
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)

I my Nook Book
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2011, 04:53 PM   #38
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Yesterday I had to go to London and the whole journey from leaving home to getting back - including a few hours in the city itself - took 13 hours I doubt I would have survived had it not been for my beloved Kindle
Old Nov 29 2011, 06:34 PM   #39
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

I got a Kindle last week! I'm so loving it! Little by little I'll add all my favorite books to it, and AM's are on the top of my list!
Old Nov 30 2011, 11:42 PM   #40
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Kibby wants everyone to give her money for Christmas so she can get a Nook. I'm not sure what the differance is between the two.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote