A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Jan 27 2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Snopocalypse, Jan 2011 edition

Pictures from last night and today: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=452269ccf9

We had a double storm yesterday. The morning storm that was supposed to be mostly rain/freezing rain left 4 inches of snow. The evening storm started around 4 pm and left us with a total of 10-12 (including the earlier 4). Kendall was stranded for hours trying to come home, up on an overpass ramp. After some progress finally around midnight, he realized the only way to make it was to weave around other cars, sometimes driving on the shoulder and even on the grass, because there were so many abandoned cars littering the road. Along the way he coached many others on how to actually drive in snow after seeing so many try and get stuck again and again. He finally got in at 1:20, 7.5 hours after he left work.

No school today, unsurprisingly, and probably not tomorrow either. The snow is the perfect depth for maximum fun for kids.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2011, 06:23 PM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: Snopocalypse, Jan 2011 edition

I was lucky: my driving instructor contacted me some four months after I took my test, (after we had had a six inch fall) offering me an hours lesson on driving in snow.

Now instructors are not allowed, by the D.O.T. to give lessons in snow (or any other extreme weather).

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2011, 06:29 PM   #3
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

And here we're supposed to learn to drive in all kinds of weather, although when it's raining heavily or snowing, they say slow down or use snow chains.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2011, 10:50 PM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Re: Snopocalypse, Jan 2011 edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Now instructors are not allowed, by the D.O.T. to give lessons in snow (or any other extreme weather).
That's crazy. I can see restrictions on where they teach such lessons, but they are really important ones for everyone to learn.

I remember our (mine and hubby's) first experience fishtailing a front-wheel drive (fwd) car. It's entirely different behavior than rear-wheel drive (rwd) and if you try to recover from the skid as you would for rwd, you will make the skid worse (which is what happened, we ended up doing a full 360). Next day we drove around a large empty parking lot for an hour, purposefully going into slides and learning how to recover with fwd. That knowledge has saved me several times since.
Old Jan 28 2011, 04:29 AM   #5
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

That's much of what he did. He drove to the parking lot of the police college, explaining why he drove with a particular technique. Then he had me twisting around in the carpark. Finally I had to drive him home through London traffic, most of which knew nothing about driving in snow.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28 2011, 05:32 PM   #6
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

My sympathies to Kendal, Cheryl. I'm glad he got home ok, but what a journey! I hope the weather clears for you soon. But in the mean time I hope your kids have some great fun.

While walking to work during the heavy snow in Edinburgh I tried and failed to help push a car that got stuck trying to exit from a side street. The driver had spun the wheels so fast he had excavated himself some wheel-shaped holes and grounded his car on the compacted snow. No amount of pushing (even from the four people who joined in to help) could move that car.
Old Jan 28 2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Sandi

My driving instructor was my father and he made sure my sister and I both knew how to drive in snow, flood water, sand and all sorts of hazardous conditions before he'd let us get a license. He even made us learn to change the oil and tires!

Cheryl, as I remember from when I lived in the Northern Virginia/Maryland area we had some years with little or no snow and some years when it seemed to do nothing but snow all winter. Sounds like one of those again this year. You should be glad of the snow, though. It's a lot less damaging than freezing rain. What did Fiona make of it?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28 2011, 08:54 PM   #8
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

This was me being silly standing in front of the snow mound left at the foot of our driveway by the plow at our previous snowstorm about a week ago:

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...t=DSCN1350.jpg

And this is the mountain as it looked yesterday, several feet taller:

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...t=DSCN1386.jpg

We had about 18 inches from this last storm, and they are predicting another Nor'easter next Tuesday/Wednesday.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29 2011, 01:34 AM   #9
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

We didn't get nailed by this storm. I'd say that we only got a few inches up here.

We did get hit pretty hard with the last couple of storms, so I'm happy that we didn't get anymore snow. Although, coastal Maine has gotten more snow out of the last few storms than what we've gotten more inland.
Old Jan 29 2011, 09:39 AM   #10
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons

Nice pics.. but I have to admit while you all have my sympathies I don't miss it a bit!!!
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29 2011, 11:07 AM   #11
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Those are impressive heaps, Cilla -- how do you manage to keep chucking the snow up that high when there is new snow to clear?
Old Jan 29 2011, 11:20 AM   #12
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

It's not easy, Cheryl! Those are actually piles left by the snow plow, but of course then we go along and clear a bit better. So, we are getting our exercise snow flinging! If we get more snow this week I don't know where it will all go. Our driveway in front of the garages is getting smaller and smaller and the driveway out to the road (which is owned by four houses) is getting narrower and narrower. I said to Jeff last night that we had better hope we don't need any emergency vehicles down here because I'm not sure they would fit. It will be interesting to see if the garbage truck can get through on Monday morning. I do like snow, I think it's beautiful, but I'm about done for this winter. This morning I had to shovel a path out to the bird feeders in the front because the birds and "squizzels" were staring in the living room window at me in great disgust.
Old Jan 29 2011, 02:14 PM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

I guess Kendall wasn't driving the Porsche

Good that was able to drive and even help others. Great guy.

Great pics Cilla!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29 2011, 06:03 PM   #14
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Indeed not, it gets grounded as soon as the first salt hits the road at the start of the season. But, when things did get moving he noted a 911 booking it on the road below him.
Old Jan 29 2011, 09:18 PM   #15
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

I'm so happy masses of snow are happening to someone else for once (Watch, we'll get buried in February.)

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5 2011, 11:20 AM   #16
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I think we now have a PhD in snow. That's Piled higher & Deeper!

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...t=DSCN1390.jpg

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...t=DSCN1393.jpg
Old Feb 6 2011, 12:35 PM   #17
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books

We hadn't had new snow falling for some time now and I bet most people wish this will be the end of it. I don't mind snow, but it's so cold in the city and VERY hard to walk on all that ice on the road, although the snow started to melt. We have a hill in our back yard where I (and Emma, as well, as she often runs after me) made a path for sledging. Unfortunately, that's also the only path through the snow to the back gate, and, seeing as how that also started to get covered in ice, you can understand why most people are ignoring it and going the other way.
My aunt in Sweden had the same problem a month ago as Cilla, as they were (quite literally) covered in snow. She send me pictures where the only thing you can see are piles of snow and just a few roof tops sticking from them. There is also a picture taken from her front door - it's like someone made tunel of snow.

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2011, 06:53 PM   #18
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

We got a little bit more snow last night, and then at one point it switched over to freezing rain.

So, it was warm enough earlier to day that I was shoveling a slushy mess, and my driveway is going to turn into a big sheet of ice once the temperature goes below freezing.

I haven't looked at the weather report, but anyone know if there are any more storms in the near future? I'd think we could all agree that the northeast needs a break.