A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Library Foyer > Events Board
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Events Board Information on site-sponsored and member-sponsored events: trivia contests, gathers, etc.

Old Aug 6 2008, 11:48 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default WorldCon Denver August 2008 -- Report!

WorldCon Mini-Report #1

Firstly, I do have internet access so I will occasionally be checking in, but folks should apply to Hans for faster resolution of any board issues they have.

My flight arrived in Denver this morning, and I was greeted at the airport by Pam and KC. After dumping stuff in KC's hotel room (as Pam's&mine wasn't ready yet) I got myself registered. Pam headed back to the airport for more people she knows, while KC and I went to our first panel: Robin Roberts discussing Anne McCaffrey's life (and of course the biography she wrote of Anne).

It was a good panel, mostly covering ground in the book but with a few bits and bobs of other details thrown in (not that I remember them at this point...). The best part was a slide show of pictures, many of which didn't make it into the book. I took digital pics of them; the quality of course won't be the best, but they'll get the idea across.

KC and I sat up front for the panel and Robin noticed our MoM t-shirts featuring Master Maelin's artwork of Anne and made us stand up and show them off to the room, which we were happy to do. Some people asked about them afterwards, and I explained that they were custom made but that more artwork of Maelin could be found on MoM and passed out a few business cards. So if we're lucky we'll get a new member or two (if they don't just lurk without registering).

After the panel while getting signatures from Robin, I showed her the 40 Years of Pern book and she was quite impressed with it. I gave her a MoM business card as well, and added instructions on where to purchase the book -- I think we'll make another sale Hans! And I think my next batch of business cards will include the book along with the MoM website.

After the panel we met back up with Pam and her crew and went out to dinner -- a fine Italian dinner at Maggiano's at the nearby pedestrian mall. (The pedestrial mall here is reminding me very much of the one in Copenhagen, though this one has free bus service running along the street.)

I am now back in my room, ready for bed as to me it's midnight (and I was up late last night and early this morning...). Everyone else is out looking for parties!

I'll try to report daily, if I have the time. This may be the longest report as the Robin Roberts panel was the only one about Anne.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7 2008, 12:00 AM   #2
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Default Re: WorldCon Denver August 2008 -- Report!

Glad to hear from you. Enjoy youself. When I have some time I well have to see if I can add that one to my collection. I don't know when I have extra money. I may have so if someone can tell me the price in US $ I would like to know. You may have a buyer right here at MoM.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7 2008, 12:12 AM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Cheryl ... you and kc are really getting a lot of wear out of your MoMer shirts.
I am so glad that you are having so much fun on your first day, and at your first panel. Happy to hear that it was Robin's panel about Anne...it should be a good sign for the rest of the con to be wonderful.

P.S. You do know that I am really going to want to hear about and see any of those unpublished photos of Anne that you took photos of, that you are going to be willing to share...

P.P.S. Say hello to kc and Pam for me...I hope you three have a marvelous time together. Don't forget to eat good and rest well......both, when you remember to take the time...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7 2008, 02:29 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Wowzers. Great report, Cheryl And great news too. I would have gladly attended that panel Do you remember anybody taking a photo of KC and you, when you were showing the shirts? We might find it on the internet somwehere...

Good to hear you all arrived safely and are having fun. Give my love tp Pam, KC and others that might know (about) me, if you haven't already done so

Keep up the excellent reports, Master Harper!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8 2008, 01:36 AM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Lin - I was thinking of you when I took the pictures. There's one you're going to absolutely love of Anne as a young girl, kind of a glamour shot.

Hans - I didn't notice if anyone took a picture. We weren't turned around for all that long. And it was unfortunately a sparsely attended panel.

Day 2 Report!

Today was another nice day, though I have to admit I spent more time relaxing then attending panels. In the morning I went with Pam who wanted to sign up for a Kaffeklatch (sort of an intimate discussion with an author) for Kate Elliott. After that we wandered off for breakfast and coffee, then back to the con where we split up for the day.

I went to a panel about the use of food in worldbuilding, which of course made me think of all the delectible foods in Pern and Crystal Singer and how Anne is good at including such details. The panel ended up not quite being what I expected but was quite interesting nevertheless. I guess I expect more detail/suggestion on how an author can incorporate food into their work, while they focussed more on generalities on keeping foods realistic and how particular rituatls of making or serving food can inform one about a culture. There were a few books mentioned which did a particularly good job of making food a central part of the story (I'll have to check my notes if anyone is interested in hearing the titles), but mostly they talked a lot about food around our own world.

Next I went to a panel about military SF, which was moderated by Elizabeth Moon. I really enjoyed this panel, as the panelists were all interesting, and I like the sub-genre though I'm not too widely read in it beyond E. Moon.

Then it was time for a meal but I was more tired than hungry and came back to my room for a while. Instead of napping, I jumped online for a bit... Then I went in search of a quick bite to eat before a panel with Sharon Lee and Steve Miller on collaborative writing, but realized I left my con badge in my room. I bought a scone in the hotel and went back up to eat in my room and get the badge and flipped on the tv since I had plenty of time before the panel....big mistake! It turned out that the movie Serenity was on and I got engrossed in that and skipped out on the panel. Oh well, at least I can see those authors at AlbaCon if I don't see them another time here.

Eventually Pam and KC and I all met back up and had dinner with a smaller group than the previous night, then went to party. Shockingly (to those who know I rarely drink anything alcoholic), I tried not only sweet and dry mead but also absinthe!

Now, of course, I'm back in the hotel room ready to turn into a pumpkin. Or perhaps a kumquat.
Old Aug 8 2008, 02:57 AM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

Oh dear... WorldCon is subverting our Cheryl!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Aug 8 2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

May it subvert away! Have a great time, Cheryl - and you've chosen a grand subversion, mead is great stuff!

Please do say hi to Pam and KC for me , and I hope you will continue to have a brilliant time. I'd love to go to another worldcon, but I tend to only be able to afford the ones in Glasgow!

Party hearty!
Old Aug 9 2008, 09:39 AM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Day 3 Report

Yesterday morning KC and I determined there were no panels we were interested in till much later in the day, so we went sight-seeing. First we explored more of the pedestrian mall, walking in the direction we hadn't really explored before and then catching one of the free buses back a ways. Then we wandered by a small but impressive church we had seen down one of the sidestreets the other day.

Then we took of in search of the Cathedral in Denver, which is a gorgeous and huge Catholic church (pictures will come later). That was the furtherest point we went, perhaps 10 blocks walking. On our amble back towards the con we stopped at a great used bookstore we had seen; both of us found stuff to buy! Next we stopped at the Colorado Capitol building, and stood on the step that's exactly one mile above sea level. Finally we got back to the end of the pedestrial mall and caught a bus back down to the middle section near the con, meeting up with Pam for lunch.

Eventually we all went to a panel on Earth and extra-Earth Volcanism. It was a fine presentation with lots of lovely slides of volcanoes on earth and elsewhere in the solar system.

After that we decided we were all too tired and needed to nap or at least chill for a while, which we did, then a light dinner. Then it was time for the masquerade, which we also decided we were just to tired for but Pam wanted to wear the new dress she had slaved over, so she put that on and we went over near the big auditorium for the masquerade so she could look beautiful for everyone walking by. And y'all should look for pictures of her from any official con press because the bevy of official photogs who were set up to take pictures of the masquerade contestants made Pam pose for pictures.

As we headed back to our hotel we found that a torrential downpour had started (OMG, the rain was going sideways!). So we chilled for a while before it blew itself out, then walked to our hotel which is nicely the one right next to the convention center. More hanging out, then I turned into a pumpkin (not even enough energy to post my report last night), as did KC, but Pam had parties to attend! I didn't even wake up when she rolled in eventually...
Old Aug 9 2008, 11:06 PM   #9
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Day 4 Report

Today started early with a Friends of Liad breakfast with authors Sharon Lee and Steven Miller. Pam and I had wonderful made-to-order omelettes and other breakfasty foods, and Sharon and Steve even sat at our table to eat (happenstance, we chose the table before they arrived) so we got to spend good time with them (the did circulate to other tables eventually).

After that we had a break before trying to meet up with an author Pam hoped to get a signature from who was "stealth conning" (she wasn't on any panels as she came at the last minute). There was a miscommunication as to where the meeting spot was, so by the time we found her it was time for our next thing, but Pam decided to stay and chat with her and was glad she did.

I went on to a kaffeklatch with Jody Nye and Bill Fawcett, which KC also came to. They didn't however talk about their own work but that of Robert Aspirin whom they were good friends with until his recent death. I've not read him before, but am now planning to try him -- not because they were trying to sell him as a good author but because he sounds to have been quite the interesting character in and of himself.

KC and I followed that up with a panel on book collecting. The panel didn't quite meet hopes for goodness as the panelists talked more about their own collections (and doing much name-dropping with rare books -- or would that be title-dropping??), but once they opened it up to questions it got more interesting. That's when they got into more details about how they collect, how their collection is housed and cared for, how they catalog it, etc -- which was what I had hoped to hear about. I'll probably go into more details at another time as I do want to summarize more.

After another short break we started to gather up for dinner with Pam's wider assortment of associates, and eventually wended our way back to Maggiano's for dinner. Pam is clearly a corrupting influence upon me as I drank an entire cocktail of my very own.

Now I'm back in our room again, and should be packing as we have to check out tomorrow morning (though there's one or two more panels we might attend), but I'm feeling quite lazy at the moment...
Old Aug 10 2008, 05:03 AM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

These report are great, thank you so much, Cheryl

and way to go, Pam; keep up te good work

Old Aug 10 2008, 04:19 PM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh Lord...Cheryl!!...did I read that right......your drinking *Booze*...................:notm e:

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle

Last edited by Lady Maelin; Aug 10 2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old Aug 10 2008, 09:45 PM   #12
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

I will take full credit for Cheryl's corruption

We're at my sister-in-law's at 10,000 feet. I'm so incredibly tired. But I'm happy, except I had to say bye to everyone but Cheryl today, and had an awesome time.

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10 2008, 11:27 PM   #13
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cheryl...I am really very glad that you are having so much fun with kc and Pam at the convention. So while Pam wore her fancy dress costume, did you also get to wear one of your very, very beautiful dresses too?
Are there any special panels that you are hoping to still get to see?

I do hope that you can get someone to take a group photo of all of you MoMers, that were there together...even if its only the three of you....wink!!

Old Aug 11 2008, 03:12 AM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
I will take full credit for Cheryl's corruption

We're at my sister-in-law's at 10,000 feet. I'm so incredibly tired. But I'm happy, except I had to say bye to everyone but Cheryl today, and had an awesome time.
Your sister lives in Millipede?

You're great at subverting, dear friend, but left the reporting all to Cheryl...

Old Aug 11 2008, 09:11 PM   #15
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I'm so glad to hear that everyone had such a fantastic time together. It's alway sad to say goodbye when the Con's are over...but the lovely memories will last a lifetime.

Old Aug 11 2008, 10:10 PM   #16
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Day 5 & 6 Report

We enjoyed a leisurely morning packing and loading Pam's car up before getting breakfast with KC, which we then ate in our room while enjoying the view from the nineteenth story (did I mention the hotel had 37 floors total?). Then we wandered over to the dealer's room for a last perusal of goods -- which was good as Pam and I both found things to buy. Then it was time to stand in line for signatures from Elizabeth Moon, Lois McMaster Bujold, and Charles Stross (a new author to us, who Pam met in the elevator and whom we are now both going to try).

Then it was time for goodbyes, with much hugging and sadness. We managed to run into pretty much all of Pam's other buddies, whom we'd said bye too the other night, for another final goodbye. KC was staying on in Denver for another day and then joining up with a tour group to see parks in the area. Pam and I dropped a friend of hers off in Boulder and then headed towards Breckinridge for the night, enjoying the scenery along the way and stopping at numerous scenic pull-offs for pictures.

The next day we finished driving out to her house in the wilds of southwestern Colorado, with many more picture-taking stops. I will have lots of pictures to sort and post once I'm back home! I have now met Pam's doggies and kitties and ponies, and her husband too. Dusk is approaching and I'm hoping for a pretty sunset.

Tomorrow we shall do some local sightseeing and then on Wed I return home.
Old Aug 12 2008, 12:43 PM   #17
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
You're great at subverting, dear friend, but left the reporting all to Cheryl...
I didn't have time to report. Seriously. I'll get around to it after Cheryl has departed for home.

Old Aug 12 2008, 05:45 PM   #18
Hans
Master Archivist

Take good are of our MoM and you're excused. Otherwise... extra digital cleaning duty for you

Old Aug 14 2008, 08:38 AM   #19
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Safely back home. After much plane delayage, I got in at 1 am. I'll be working on catching up on the forum (as well as other life stuff) slowly. And then I'll pack and jet off to the UK for a week and have to do it all over again.
Old Aug 14 2008, 09:01 AM   #20
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Day 5 & 6 Report

We enjoyed a leisurely morning packing and loading Pam's car up before getting breakfast with KC, which we then ate in our room while enjoying the view from the nineteenth story (did I mention the hotel had 37 floors total?). Then we wandered over to the dealer's room for a last perusal of goods -- which was good as Pam and I both found things to buy. Then it was time to stand in line for signatures from Elizabeth Moon, Lois McMaster Bujold, and Charles Stross (a new author to us, who Pam met in the elevator and whom we are now both going to try).
You hadn't tried/heard of Stross? I got Edith hooked on him last year. Fantasy fans will prefer his Merchant Princes books, harder SF fans the rest, and for outright weird/funny, try his Lovecraftian Laundry books, starting with The Atrocity Archive
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2008, 09:53 AM   #21
Hans
Master Archivist

Welcome "home" my friend

Old Aug 14 2008, 01:46 PM   #22
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cheryl...so glad to hear that you are safe at home again my friend, rest and enjoy the laughter of your twins, that will put you right with your home life again and very quickly indeed.

I do hope you will have a little bit of time to rest up, before you need to get going on your next summer adventure.

Old Aug 15 2008, 05:04 PM   #23
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

I mostly took pictures of people you guys don't know, but you know these two:

And I really like this picture I took of Cheryl on the South Fork of the Rio Grande up near it's headwaters.

Old Aug 15 2008, 05:11 PM   #24
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Oh, and as for my report, it can basically be summed up in one sentence: I slept too little and drank too much.

Old Aug 15 2008, 05:15 PM   #25
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I can confirm Pam's report, she did!

I slept too little too, but not from lack of trying. Now I'm trying to catch up at home before jetting off to the UK next week.
Old Aug 15 2008, 05:26 PM   #26
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
You hadn't tried/heard of Stross? I got Edith hooked on him last year. Fantasy fans will prefer his Merchant Princes books, harder SF fans the rest, and for outright weird/funny, try his Lovecraftian Laundry books, starting with The Atrocity Archive
I'm actually so very poorly read for a SF/F fan. I'd like to fix that, but it doesn't help that I'm hesitant to spend $ on authors I don't know I like, and the Baltimore library system is crap for SFF.

Pam picked up two of his books which I'll eventually borrow off of her to read.
Old Aug 15 2008, 05:36 PM   #27
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I'll post just a few quick pictures, as Pam did. I took over 1000 (the majority being scenery of CO), so it'll take some time to sort through to find the good ones. And I'm behind in general picture sorting, have family reunion pictures to get through first (since I like to go chronologically, else some might never be sorted).

So, here we go:

MoMers at WorldCon2008:

Close-up of my lovely new necklace, tiny dragons holding opals:

Pam at a small creek with waterfalls:
Old Aug 15 2008, 06:07 PM   #28
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

images! I like the ones with the water behind the different MoM, as background. To me it looks great, and quite soothing to my eyes. I like your necklace Cheryl/ I am glad you ejoyed yourself and the other MoM members. I hope you have a safe trip to the UK too.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by GinnyStar; Aug 15 2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: typo
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15 2008, 09:04 PM   #29
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

WOW Cheryl...now that is a beautiful necklace !!! Tiny dragons and blue opals, that'll do, that'll
do nicely...very nicely indeed. I agree with Pam, the one of you on the rivers edge is lovely as is
the one of you and kc. Glad to hear that everyone had such an...... interesting time

Oh Lord Cheryl...your leaving in only a weeeeeeek. Dear friend you are going to be so poooped
when you get back, its going to take you weeks to catch up on your sleep.
Especially since you don't sleep very well on planes....and even more so since your beloved
family... ... is going to be on this one with you. I do hope you wake up long
enough to have a marvelous time...and yes take even more photos, that you are going to have to
sort through...when you wake up in a month......

Old Aug 15 2008, 10:10 PM   #30
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Thank you, Master Maelin! I do indeed love my beautiful blue necklace!

I certainly will be sleep deprived when all is said and done, as I'm already behind on sleep without much chance to catch up this week.

I think my September will be dedicated to sorting through July and August's photos.
Old Aug 16 2008, 05:39 AM   #31
Hans
Master Archivist

Marvelous pictures indeed, we want more!

Glad you all enjoyed yourself so much

Old Aug 16 2008, 07:35 AM   #32
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

Cheryl, when are you going to be in this country, and are you intending to make it to Scotland at all?
Lanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2008, 08:02 AM   #33
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Close to Scotland, but not quite there, unfortunately. We're doing a day trip from Ambleside up to Hadrian's Wall on either Aug 24 or 25. I've been meaning to email you to ask whether it'd be possible for you and/or Steven to meet up there. Of course I need to find out more precisely where since the wall isn't a singular point! I'm going to call my father-in-law today to get more details, as he's the one planning our major activities in the UK.
Old Aug 16 2008, 01:11 PM   #34
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Thank you, Master Maelin!
I think my September will be dedicated to sorting through July and August's photos.
Weeell...my friend, if your awake...

long enough to sort them...pat, pat, pat....

Old Aug 16 2008, 05:49 PM   #35
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Here's some pics from north of Durango

Some peak from Little Molas Lake

The Hermosa Cliffs from Haviland Lake

Old Aug 17 2008, 03:42 AM   #36
Hans
Master Archivist

Stunning scenery, that's what I miss in that post stamp sized country of mine

Thanks Pam

Old Aug 17 2008, 04:20 PM   #37
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans...I really don't think you have andything to complain about...

as *The Netherlands*, is a very beautiful country as anyone can see.

Old Aug 18 2008, 07:25 AM   #38
Hans
Master Archivist

I don't deny we have beautiful BITS of scenery but no real variation in it and though I accept you might find the scenery you posted beautiful they can't compare in grandness and greatness to what Pam posted

Old Aug 18 2008, 01:41 PM   #39
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Granted I am not arguing that Colorado is very grand, and extremely beautiful...but to me and countless others, so it your country with its endlessly grand sky, and beautiful country landscapes. Each have their own beauty...and I am thrilled that you enjoy our countries vistas, as much as I and other enjoy those that the Netherlands have to offer.

Old Aug 18 2008, 08:31 PM   #40
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Finally! One of the many photos of me and my dress when there were 20+ people taking it at the same time. Unfortunately, this guy got me with my eyes closed